Crystal Ball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crystal Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We can't use the conference as a reason with SJU and UNLV in front of us on 2, and all 5 programs are a significant step down from UConn. It is not surprising how big a role playing time has in deciding where recruits go.

Which makes Kentucky's stockpiling of McD AA's even more puzzling. No one is that good a salesman.

After finally Ignoring two others today, I wavered over whether to add you or not. Then I read this post and must admit I Like it. No regrets about the others.

Reaction Score
It now seems every recruit talked about on the BY for 2015 is trending away from us. They got:
Briscoe at St Johns
Stone at Wisconsin
Mack at Georgia
Clarke at VT
Jones at UNLV

I know it's only speculation but prepare yourselves. It might be good MOJO or some people are about to have a meltdown. I'm hoping for the former but either way I'm happy with what we already have lined up. This could just mean a killer class for 2016.

Hey, we just got a Mack prediction from Michael Bohlin (who??). Check out his stats, he's 9/17.....that makes me feel real good.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Crystal Ball gets a lot of flack for its credibility/accuracy - rightfully so in some respects. But at the same time, if you're waiting for somebody to start predicting recruiting results with anything close to 100% accuracy, you'll be waiting forever.

If you take it for what it is - which is a place where you can quickly and easily "read the tea leaves" on every single available recruit and expect ~70% accuracy - then I actually think Meyer deserves some credit for creating the thing. At least it's a one-stop shop. The next best option is toggling between 4 different sites and hoping there's an update on a Uconn recruit.

Is it really that high? As of when? The night before?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We can't use the conference as a reason with SJU and UNLV in front of us on 2, and all 5 programs are a significant step down from UConn. It is not surprising how big a role playing time has in deciding where recruits go.

Which makes Kentucky's stockpiling of McD AA's even more puzzling. No one is that good a salesman.

WWW is.

Reaction Score
I really dont follow recruiting at all aside from what i read on here. I cant believe people are so life and death with every big recruit we miss out on. In 2011 nobody was excited about our class and we saw how it turned out. UK had a crap load of MCDAA that season and again this pass season. How`d that work out for them? Uk had more McDAA on last years team than we had on all 4 of our national title teams combined! Think about that,let it set in and R E L A X!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The more I read these threads, the more I worry that recruiting is seen here as ammunition while arguing the merits of UCONN against other programs. I honestly don't give a hoot who some high schooler picked over us. Sure, everyone wants UCONN to make every other program look bad, but we recruit to build champions. And I trust KO as a talent evaluator -- he's one of the smartest players to ever wear a Husky uniform, and having over 10 years worth of NBA experience never hurts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If there's too much stockpiling things can get ugly in a hurry with a lot of dissatisfaction regarding PT.

I want that problem.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The more I read these threads, the more I worry that recruiting is seen here as ammunition while arguing the merits of UCONN against other programs. I honestly don't give a hoot who some high schooler picked over us. Sure, everyone wants UCONN to make every other program look bad, but we recruit to build champions. And I trust KO as a talent evaluator -- he's one of the smartest players to ever wear a Husky uniform, and having over 10 years worth of NBA experience never hurts.

13 years. Don't sell the man short.

Reaction Score
you guys are going to get good players. Ollie is a great coach. Sometime I wish our fans would stop second guessing a Pastner on recruiting. Guy has landed a top 15 class in 2015 and top 5 for 2016 but our fans still second guess him. Ollie will get UConn a class this year that will bring you many wins for the future.

Reaction Score
you guys are going to get good players. Ollie is a great coach. Sometime I wish our fans would stop second guessing a Pastner on recruiting. Guy has landed a top 15 class in 2015 and top 5 for 2016 but our fans still second guess him. Ollie will get UConn a class this year that will bring you many wins for the future.

Can't just get good players all the time. He's landed good recruiting classes and has had some major impact transfers. He needs to win soon and not just a game in the NCAA tourney ........there's good reason for now to 2nd guess him as a coach, not a recruiter though. See you soon and best of luck to a good year!

As far as KO we're not worried, they will come. And as you have seen for many years we don't need top 20 guys we just need kids who buy in and want to grow. Championships chase UConn....lol ( I heard that somewhere) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Can't just get good players all the time. He's landed good recruiting classes and has had some major impact transfers. He needs to win soon and not just a game in the NCAA tourney ...there's good reason for now to 2nd guess him as a coach, not a recruiter though. See you soon and best of luck to a good year!

As far as KO we're not worried, they will come. And as you have seen for many years we don't need top 20 guys we just need kids who buy in and want to grow. Championships chase UConn....lol ( I heard that somewhere) :rolleyes:
Different dynamics and type of players on this years team. There was some flaws on our last team that is a private matter to those that know. Certain players playing above a role they weren't commited to do. This group with Pastner is more coachable and I lot of players that are grateful for a chance the play. Those are the player Pastner has been wanting from the start. Dickie V even said this group is a whole lot better than people think. He is getting there and should be a battle with the Huskies this year.

Reaction Score
Also Kuran has progressed a lot this summer. He looks like he is embracing being 6'10. I am starting to like ball players up North now. You guys have players with some to their game lol. I think we got 2 in Kuran and trashon Burrell. We might have a roster full of NYC, Maryland, and New England ballers in the future lol

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can't just get good players all the time. He's landed good recruiting classes and has had some major impact transfers. He needs to win soon and not just a game in the NCAA tourney ...there's good reason for now to 2nd guess him as a coach, not a recruiter though. See you soon and best of luck to a good year!

Not to defend Memphis, as I don't care about them beyond being a league member, but I think people give too much crap to Pastner too early in his career. He hasn't proven it...yet. Took JC a long time to get where he did (first elite eight at 48; first final four at 57). Pastner's freakin 37 years old. If he manages to coach as long as JC, that's another 30+ years of coaching! I imagine the guy will improve over that time. If not, he's a write off, but it's still a work in progress.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to defend Memphis, as I don't care about them beyond being a league member, but I think people give too much crap to Pastner too early in his career. He hasn't proven it...yet. Took JC a long time to get where he did (first elite eight at 48; first final four at 57). Pastner's freakin 37 years old. If he manages to coach as long as JC, that's another 30+ years of coaching! I imagine the guy will improve over that time. If not, he's a write off, but it's still a work in progress.

JC didn't have the players Pastner has had from Day 1 - this is not an apples to apples comparison intlzncster...........

Reaction Score
Well, JC didn't get to the FF with guys like Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall, so it might be that it's not that easy?

Sorry not the point....JC started with walk ons, soccer player s and non Top 200 players for a while in the BIG EAST. Pastner immediately inherited a shaky program from the Squid with Top players including McD AA's in the CONFERENCE USA. So of course it took JC a while to get there but once he stared getting players form the Top 100 and close he began a run of Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and FF's that Pastner will never reach!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sorry not the point....JC started with walk ons, soccer player s and non Top 200 players for a while in the BIG EAST. Pastner immediately inherited a shaky program from the Squid with Top players including McD AA's in the CONFERENCE USA. So of course it took JC a while to get there but once he stared getting players form the Top 100 and close he began a run of Sweet 16's, Elite286, 8's and FF's that Pastner will never reach!

What do you mean not the point? My point was, it didn't matter if JC had great players, it didn't necessarily equate to FF and Ships. Because winning was a process...which took time. It takes a while for most coaches to learn how to win. Heck JC was becoming known as the guy who couldn't win the big game. Those are two of the greatest players to ever play at UCONN and they didn't get to the FF. They are far superior than anyone Memphis has had.

And Cliff Robinson was on the first UCONN team JC coached. Phenomenal player. JC coached Reggie Lewis at Northeastern. Has Pastner had anyone on those levels?

No one ever said he was going to be JC. Of course Pastner will never reach JC's standards, but neither will anyone else. But it's highly likely he'll get sweet sixteens and elite 8s.

EDIT: and lets be honest, Memphis as an institution has far less potential than UCONN did. You mentioned JC being in the Big East? It is far far far easier to recruit to a BE program than a CUSA. "oh, you want to play against Patrick Ewing? Come on down." <yes I know Ewing graduated in 85>

Reaction Score
What do you mean not the point? My point was, it didn't matter if JC had great players, it didn't necessarily equate to FF and Ships. Because winning was a process...which took time. It takes a while for most coaches to learn how to win. Heck JC was becoming known as the guy who couldn't win the big game. Those are two of the greatest players to ever play at UCONN and they didn't get to the FF. They are far superior than anyone Memphis has had.

And Cliff Robinson was on the first UCONN team JC coached. Phenomenal player. JC coached Reggie Lewis at Northeastern. Has Pastner had anyone on those levels?

No one ever said he was going to be JC. Of course Pastner will never reach JC's standards, but neither will anyone else. But it's highly likely he'll get sweet sixteens and elite 8s.

EDIT: and lets be honest, Memphis as an institution has far less potential than UCONN did. You mentioned JC being in the Big East? It is far far far easier to recruit to a BE program than a CUSA. "oh, you want to play against Patrick Ewing? Come on down." <yes I know Ewing graduated in 85>

I hear you on most points int, but has Patner ever had players like Cliffy or Reggie? More than likely yes is the answer . But did he get as much out of the kids he had who were likely ranked much higher than either reggie or Cliff coming out, the answer would be NO. Again the reality is JC was a great coach because he made players better no matter where they were ranked, as we all know. Cliff hadn't even sniffed his potential with Perno but he peaked with JC as expected. I am sure Josh has had kids with the ability to do the same thing my question would be can he make them better and ready for the next level? So far the answer is fairly obvious and that's a problem.

Reaction Score
Pastner had a bunch of role players on his first team and by the grace of God Elliot Williams transferred from Duke and was able to play immediately. He inherited a NIT caliber roster and got to the NIT.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hear you on most points int, but has Patner ever had players like Cliffy or Reggie? More than likely yes is the answer . But did he get as much out of the kids he had who were likely ranked much higher than either reggie or Cliff coming out, the answer would be NO. Again the reality is JC was a great coach because he made players better no matter where they were ranked, as we all know. Cliff hadn't even sniffed his potential with Perno but he peaked with JC as expected. I am sure Josh has had kids with the ability to do the same thing my question would be can he make them better and ready for the next level? So far the answer is fairly obvious and that's a problem.

I just think it's unfair to compare Pastner to JC in any way, quite frankly (hi chief). JC is a top 5 all time coach, and the only guy who we can realistically compare him to in this era is Mike Ka;sdlkfa;sdlkfja;sldfski.

I agree that the jury is still out on Pastner. My overarching point is that he is still very, very young for a HC, and has ample opportunity to grow as a coach. The fact that he can recruit so well indicates that he should get the opportunity to do so (grow)as well. A guy who can recruit like that will always have a job, whether at Memphis or another solid institution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom