Crystal Ball? | The Boneyard

Crystal Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It now seems every recruit talked about on the BY for 2015 is trending away from us. They got:
Briscoe at St Johns
Stone at Wisconsin
Mack at Georgia
Clarke at VT
Jones at UNLV

I know it's only speculation but prepare yourselves. It might be good MOJO or some people are about to have a meltdown. I'm hoping for the former but either way I'm happy with what we already have lined up. This could just mean a killer class for 2016.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Who cares there were also no picks for Kyle Guy who committed to Virginia yesterday

Reaction Score
The Crystal Ball gets a lot of flack for its credibility/accuracy - rightfully so in some respects. But at the same time, if you're waiting for somebody to start predicting recruiting results with anything close to 100% accuracy, you'll be waiting forever.

If you take it for what it is - which is a place where you can quickly and easily "read the tea leaves" on every single available recruit and expect ~70% accuracy - then I actually think Meyer deserves some credit for creating the thing. At least it's a one-stop shop. The next best option is toggling between 4 different sites and hoping there's an update on a Uconn recruit.

Reaction Score
I was reading Nate Silver's book, and he made an interesting point about weather predictions. How, as much as people bitch about weather predictions being inaccurate, they're literally the most accurate predictions out there. So that put a lot of this sort of stuff into perspective for me. Obviously I feel better when I see UConn predictions for recruits I want, but there was a stretch where we had 10 straight for Jones and 9 straight for Clarke, and now it's not looking particularly likely that we get either one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was reading Nate Silver's book, and he made an interesting point about weather predictions. How, as much as people bitch about weather predictions being inaccurate, they're literally the most accurate predictions out there. So that put a lot of this sort of stuff into perspective for me. Obviously I feel better when I see UConn predictions for recruits I want, but there was a stretch where we had 10 straight for Jones and 9 straight for Clarke, and now it's not looking particularly likely that we get either one.
“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no sense killing the messenger - we're not quite going in the right direction in most of these recruiting skirmishes which is a little disappointing given that they led for all but Briscoe at one time or another

I'd discount most of the Stone predictions right now - the two most important visits are on tap and then we'll see where we're at.

caw

Reaction Score
It now seems every recruit talked about on the BY for 2015 is trending away from us. They got:
Briscoe at St Johns
Stone at Wisconsin
Mack at Georgia
Clarke at VT
Jones at UNLV

I know it's only speculation but prepare yourselves. It might be good MOJO or some people are about to have a meltdown. I'm hoping for the former but either way I'm happy with what we already have lined up. This could just mean a killer class for 2016.

Hometown schools still in the mix and less than 5 schools, that would be my guess too.

Jones isn't deciding until spring,reportedly, that's a complete guess based on a recent visit.

Reaction Score
We may be struggling with the wings because we have such a glut at the moment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We can't use the conference as a reason with SJU and UNLV in front of us on 2, and all 5 programs are a significant step down from UConn. It is not surprising how big a role playing time has in deciding where recruits go.

Which makes Kentucky's stockpiling of McD AA's even more puzzling. No one is that good a salesman.

Reaction Score
Every year we track 15 players and we hardly ever get any of them- then we wind up with Bazz, Boat, Tsam or DD. This is why it makes me crazy. I now know more about these 15 kids then I ever wanted to know.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.
Not totally safe for work, but it must be posted.

Reaction Score
Every year we track 15 players and we hardly ever get any of them- then we wind up with Bazz, Boat, Tsam or DD. This is why it makes me crazy. I now know more about these 15 kids then I ever wanted to know.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!

True, but we can also end up with Darius Smith, Jamaal Trice, Mandeldove, Rob Garrison etc.

No single recruit is going to make or break a team and certainly not a program. But it will be alarming if we swing and miss on all of these guys, especially to schools like VCU, GA, VT, UNLV etc.

Sure we have two great commits, but both are local kids. We cant bank on having great local talent as our recruiting strategy (although in the near future looks great). Obviously, we cant expect to close on every kid. But it sure seemed like Clarke and Mack looked like ours for the taking given our competition and the fact that we got them on campus to see the new facility and meet KO, the staff and team etc. If we miss on both, that's not the greatest sign.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
True, but we can also end up with Darius Smith, Jamaal Trice, Mandeldove, Rob Garrison etc.

No single recruit is going to make or break a team and certainly not a program. But it will be alarming if we swing and miss on all of these guys, especially to schools like VCU, GA, VT, UNLV etc.

Sure we have two great commits, but both are local kids. We cant bank on having great local talent as our recruiting strategy (although in the near future looks great). Obviously, we cant expect to close on every kid. But it sure seemed like Clarke and Mack looked like ours for the taking given our competition and the fact that we got them on campus to see the new facility and meet KO, the staff and team etc. If we miss on both, that's not the greatest sign.
Rob Garrison holy bad.

Reaction Score
This is outstanding pre-meltdown preparation.

I didn't intend that at all. We have tons of talent right now. Our backcourt is loaded and Hamilton looks like a stud on the wing. Brimah obviously down low is going to be great and Facey has potential.

Brimah, Purvis, and D Ham could be gone after one or two years however. I LOVE Jalen Adams; kid will be amazing for us. Enoch I'm not really sure about. Looks like he has tons of potential but who knows.

Bottom line is that we have a lot of talent and potential. I am certain that KO will be a force in recruiting. Tevin Mack and Chris Clarke mean very little in the big picture of UConn basketball. But given our interest in them and considering our competition (or lack of), the brand new facility, and coming off a national title, you would think we would be able to lock them up. Mack we still may who knows.

I'm not melting down in any way, just stating that it could be a little concerning IF we somehow swing and miss on all these kids given how hard we are recruiting all of them.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If I still wasn't high off a national championship (not to mention Bazz sticking it to the NCAA)..... I'd prolly be a lil worried considering 2015 was suppose to be our big "get" year for KO and recruiting (not saying jalen and Enoch are scrubs) All in all, I say at the very least, we end up with atleast one of those mentioned above.

Thinking Stone & Jones after all is said and done, which in retrospect would be one of our better classes in recent memory

Reaction Score
If there's too much stockpiling things can get ugly in a hurry with a lot of dissatisfaction regarding PT.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1195662872_11592.jpeg

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Holy Rob Garrison! I forgot he played here.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We can't use the conference as a reason with SJU and UNLV in front of us on 2, and all 5 programs are a significant step down from UConn. It is not surprising how big a role playing time has in deciding where recruits go.

Which makes Kentucky's stockpiling of McD AA's even more puzzling. No one is that good a salesman.

Puzzle solved.

cash_pile_1358415501_1358415505_540x540.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member