Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is like a good defensive outfielder who hits .200. You can try to justify him playing by saying he prevents runs but in the end you would replace him in a heartbeat with a guy who hits .285.

But to me the bonehead player of the game award goes to #24. 2 bad fouls. On the rebound and at the 21 second mark. Then you need court awareness on that shot.
When he was face guarding Nembhard at the half court line, I knew we lost our mental composure. Hawk got frustrated today, for sure.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing loss, another game that we “could have” or “should have” won a few different ways. We just don’t have that late game magic. Would love to see some different personnel at different times but not likely to happen.

Reaction Score
Here’s the problem.

Hurley actually did several things right. He had a good defensive plan. He helped his team stay calm and weathered the early storm.

However, his minute allocation to Jackson destroyed us. It negates all the positives.
I don’t think Jackson is why we lost. He played the exact same way he played against Marquette. The barometer is Tristan Newton. He legit didn’t show up

Reaction Score
Its time to bench Jackson and give him the Alterique, Carlton, etc. treatment. We just lost a tough one possession game - but how many possessions did he boof with air balls, bricks or turnovers? We are so easy to defend when he's in there. I get he's an elite defender but he could make a chair look like an elite defender on the other side.
UConn actually thinks they can win playing 4 on 5 on offense. They just keep doing it. Hurley never learns.

Reaction Score
When he shoots a lot, we lose. I love the kid overall, hes a gamer and a heck of an athlete but he is a major offensive liability and cannot be on the Floor more than half a game. I blame this loss on Hurley. Teams can play essentially 5 on 4 offensively bottling up our other players/shooters when hes on the floor. Hes a 20 minute, 25 minute MAX guy. Period.
Scheierman who was defending AJax cut off some of Newton’s attempts to drive and he was doubling Sanogo in the post denying the entry pass

Reaction Score
A couple sequences decided this game. It was really lost with around 9-10 minutes left in the second half. We had a 3-1 break and all Diarra had to do was make the simple pass to Clingan for a dunk. Then we had 3 straight possessions with a bunch of chances and no execution. We should've went up by 5 points there and we remained down by 1.

The other sequence that decided the game was under 7 minutes left Jackson makes a turnover with nobody guarding him trying to force it into Sanogo when Adama was right next to him, Jackson fouls right away on the other end, then Jackson shoots an airball 3. This all happens with Alexander on the bench.

Creighton didn't score a field goal for 7 minutes and their best offensive player was on the bench and they extended the lead to 6.

Karaban makes a huge three to keep us in the game only down 3 and then Jackson bricks a floater and bricks a wide open 3.

We know we're terrible in close games and terrible on the road, these are the sequences where we should be grabbing a hold of the game. When it's a one possession game with a minute or two left, our chances of winning are incredibly low.

I love Jackson as a person and love some of the things he can do on the court but he really hurts this team on offense, when the opponent can back 10 feet off a player the entire game you're playing 4 on 5 basketball on the offensive end and it makes life really difficult for the 4 guys who have scoring ability.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
100% agree. But he has the ability to get the back down floater up any time he wants. Every time he shoots it looks like he decided to do it less than a second prior.

But yes, he’s brutal at shooting. Not denying that.
He does but I honestly don’t know when he’s made that this year.

His only option right now is to be good moving off ball towards the rim for dunks. Take advantage of guys paying no mind to him. Get easy dunks and pray for put backs. It’s so frustrating watching someone so talented be this inept man.

Reaction Score
100% agree. But he has the ability to get the back down floater up any time he wants. Every time he shoots it looks like he decided to do it less than a second prior.

But yes, he’s brutal at shooting. Not denying that.

Bruh, I doubted you have watched him throw up floater. His floater is worst kind. He took off at 3 point line and threw up floater around the free throw line.

Reaction Score
He doesn't want to shoot but he ends up shooting anyways because there's no one else around who can get a good look. Brutal offense today.
Maybe because AJ’s defender doubles down on someone else because AJ can't shoot.

Reaction Score
McDermott in the first half "they're taking the shots we want them to take and if they continue to take them we'll win" Jackson 11 shots. Hurley on some other planet.

Add in Hurley playing Clingan with no shooters to pass to. Alleyne, Diarra, Jackson, nearly always on the court with him. I just don't get it.
I would love it if Hurley moved Alleyne into the lineup, and barring foul trouble, subbed Jackson, Clingan and Joey C in as a package. I think those three really complement each other and then when they come in you will have 2 of Newton/Hawkins/Karaban on the floor. Sub packages that make sense.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Jackson is why we lost. He played the exact same way he played against Marquette. The barometer is Tristan Newton. He legit didn’t show up
Jackson had multiple possessions today where he took an ill-advised shot or committed a turnover, and then immediately fouled on D or let someone blow right by him. He was atrocious today and Hurley just left him out there.

Reaction Score
but after Hawkins fouled and we ended up with the ball with 2.4s left the clear strategy with 1 TO is to save that for AFTER you inbound it way downfield. What were they doing??? That is all on Hurley. It's 101 basketball man.
There is not a single college basketball team who uses this strategy. It's one I think should be used and what I would do, but that's not a Hurley thing

Reaction Score
Hey coach, biggie, That does not give him green light to shoot.
Alleyne is a threat to score and bring a defender out and gives us a chance for a board. Not Jackson. McDermott knows this. He was smiling everytime Jackson took a shot.

Reaction Score
Bruh, I doubted you have watched him throw up floater. His floater is worst kind. He took off at 3 point line and threw up floater around the free throw line.
I said “backdown floater”

Reaction Score
We needed Newton to show up today, with Jackson not an offensive threat, we were playing essentially 3 on 5.

And the guys need to learn how to properly set screens. Watching Creighton would be a good start.

Please, Kalkbrenner was setting moving screens all game. It was just inside the key and Big East refs apparently don't call it down there.

Reaction Score
The coaching staff has failed Andre. For him to have no ability to score with how hard he works is crazy. What have they worked on with him for the past 2 to 3 summers?
No. This is dead wrong. Ajax has to make it happen. Coach gave him all the minutes he needs. Time to yank him.

Reaction Score
Also need to give Creighton’s defense credit. They forced UConn to shoot some bad shots in the second half and they did an overall great job shutting down UConn driving to the basket, especially Newton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom