Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1676163287336.png

Remind you of anyone?

Reaction Score
How much do we win by today if Alleyne and Jackson swap amount of minutes played? 10?

Reaction Score
He’s the reason why Newton had trouble doing anything today.

Cheat off of Jackson…..jam up Newton or double Sanogo.

There’s literally no scenario where Jackson shooting a jumpshot should be considered a good option.
100% agree. Newton can’t get into a clogged lane because the guy that should be on Jackson is in there. It also hurts Hawkins. I can’t ever remember a perimeter player being completely unguarded at the division 1 level.

Reaction Score
Newton’s resurgence came because they they got the ball out of Jackson’s hands. I have no idea why AJax was on the ball almost all game, but it killed any chance we had. It can’t continue.
This.

Jackson played 28 minutes. Newton 26.

This team will go as far as Hawk, Sanogo, and Newton will take them.

Newton needs to be given the keys to the car. And frankly Jackson makes it more challenging against certain defensive schemes for him to drive.

Specifically, they play drop on almost all their pick and roll coverage. That means Newton is looking at Kalk as he turns the corner. On top of that Jackson’s defender is in the lane helping.

Reaction Score
Love the American Flag Blue colored glasses, but I don’t know how anyone can say with confidence right now that this team will finish top 5 when Seton Hall owns the tie-breaker with UConn. I’ll be rooting harder than I ever have for Villanova tonight.

Nope, Seton Hall does not own the tie breaker. That will be determined next week.

Reaction Score
This.

Newton needs to be given the keys to the car. And frankly Jackson makes it more challenging against certain defensive schemes for him to drive.

Specifically, they play drop on almost all their pick and roll coverage. That means Newton is looking at Kalk as he turns the corner. On top of that Jackson’s defender is in the lane helping.
This is why I think Jackson should come off the bench.

Newton needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He can’t play off ball like a traditional shooting guard, just like hawk can’t run the point. To get in the groove, he needs touches/shots. His ability to shoot the 3, when he’s on, gives our offense the highest ceiling.

Jackson can be effective sometimes on offense but he too needs the ball in his hands. He hasn’t figured out how to cut/score like a power forward. He’s most effective passing. When he plays with Newton, Newton defers to him, and you have an underachieving offense.

Let Newton cook with the first team. Have Jackson use his otherworldly vision finding shooters on the second, have him provide a huge spark. I was vehemently against the double bigs thing but hell at this point try that too. But playing the same lineups like this over and over is going nowhere

Reaction Score
Jackson is now a bench player that should come in with the second unit for defense. he is such a liability on offense that people can sag off him and double team our best offensive players. I was a little bewildered why Newton thought it was good to sit at the top of the key with both Jackson and Sanogo out there and not try to get picks and drive to the hoop. Newton was deferring on offense again and that killed us.
I'm getting frustrated with Jackson's play too, he needs to come off the bench and not ever again this season be permitted to shoot the ball from any distance. Its nothing personal. Besides, basrd on his offensive performance this year, he doesn't seem ready for thw NBA this year. Jackson needs to to return to Uconn next year, work hard over the summer improving his shooting, as a senior can be a great mentor to Stephan Castle and that great 5 man recruiting class coming in next year. Also, he can be a much more important for next years potential final 4 caliber team.

Reaction Score
Love the American Flag Blue colored glasses, but I don’t know how anyone can say with confidence right now that this team will finish top 5 when Seton Hall owns the tie-breaker with UConn. I’ll be rooting harder than I ever have for Villanova tonight.
It's not a biased statement, we are the odds on favorite to finish in 5th based on the remaining schedules for both teams

Reaction Score
I looked up Hawk’s stats in road games vs the top 4 league teams. In those games vs Marquette, PC, X and Creighton he is a combined 13-44 (29%) from the floor including 6-23 (26%) from 3 and a total of 45 points. For a player of his caliber/NBA first rounder that is atrocious. He has anything close to a “normal” game and we probably win 3 of those 4 at least. He’s our best offensive player and has consistently come up way short in big road games
I think Hawkins might be leading the nation in number of times a player gets fouled on 3 point attempts.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm getting frustrated with Jackson's play too, he needs to come off the bench and not ever again this season be permitted to shoot the ball from any distance. Its nothing personal. Besides, basrd on his offensive performance this year, he doesn't seem ready for thw NBA this year. Jackson needs to to return to Uconn next year, work hard over the summer improving his shooting, as a senior can be a great mentor to Stephan Castle and that great 5 man recruiting class coming in next year. Also, he can be a much more important for next years potential final 4 caliber team.
I'm not sure AJ will be able improve his shooting this summer all of a sudden. I just don't think it's in his cards. He is not going to the NBA after this season - I think most can agree on that. So get ready for more 4 on 5 offense next season, unless Hurley can solve the AJ Dilemma.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This.

Newton in 26 minutes had 2 points 4 assists and zero rebounds, I wouldn’t give that ghost the keys to my lawn mower. He only had one foul, and he played only 26, because he couldn’t stay with Nembhard.

DHF

Reaction Score
The problem lies between his ears.
He has no shot. Why hasn’t he developed a Jump shot? This has nothing to do with his lack of confidence. No one would be confident shooting the ball if they had his form from three and the ft line. Having to take an awkward runner from 15ft is embarrassing. He has to practice proper form and shoot 1k true jump shots a day during the summer. Don’t get it.

Reaction Score
He’s the reason why Newton had trouble doing anything today.

Cheat off of Jackson…..jam up Newton or double Sanogo.

There’s literally no scenario where Jackson shooting a jumpshot should be considered a good option.

Not sure how anyone can watch this game and wonder why Newton wasn’t very good. What’s his strength? Getting to the hole right. And where was Andres defender all day and I mean all day? He was in the middle looking to make a play, the smart play which was either double down on Sanogo to make the interior passes tougher or stop penetration or at least assist in stopping it. The reality is we should have been trying to get a few more open looks for Alex but we ran nothing.

The problem today was the inability to adjust the dare that McDermott threw at the Huskies. Basically we have zero concern that AJ can beat us so find another way. We didn’t, nothing new!

Reaction Score
After watching todays game I have come to the conclusion this team will continue to have droughts and be limited offensively as long as andre Jackson plays a lot of minutes. Won’t consistently be able to beat good teams when it’s 5 on 4 offensively. Schierman essentially played safety the entire game defensively.

Reaction Score
After watching todays game I have come to the conclusion this team will continue to have droughts and be limited offensively as long as Hurley is coach!
Fixed

Reaction Score
It's not the players' fault. Those 4-5 straight possessions of AJ getting sucked into the "Andre Island" defense and taking bad shots (i.e., anything other than a layup/dunk at this point) or making bad passes/turnovers were the difference in the game. After once or twice, Hurley should have recognized what McDermott was doing (successfully) and replaced him with the fifth shooter. AJ also did some bad gambling on D with Schierman earlier in the game but he was bringing a lot more to the table than he was taking away at that point in terms of rebounding, effort, etc.
Excellent point. Those are the possessions that lost us the game. A laughable post up in the lane & 2:awkward looking 3 pointers, and game over. Right then is when Hurley should've subbed him out or changed strategies. Teams are gonna dare Dre to beat them, and frankly I'm doubting that he'll come through.
Hurley has to put him in position to succeed not just sit back and watch the same thing happen over and over again. Adjust for gosh sake!

Reaction Score
Dribble , dribble, everyone stand around, one on on while tightly guarded, no one crashes the boards on offensive shots and UConn scores 53 points. Garbage, bad mens league offense!!! Top 25? That’s a joke!!!
Newton has open shot , slows up and waits for defender and shoots an out of sync shot hoping for a foul.
Why play Hawkins if his confidence to shoot wide open 8-20 footer is non existent???
Who’s coaching this mess?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure AJ will be able improve his shooting this summer all of a sudden. I just don't think it's in his cards. He is not going to the NBA after this season - I think most can agree on that. So get ready for more 4 on 5 offense next season, unless Hurley can solve the AJ Dilemma.
I hope he works on a full scoring game instead of just a three point shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom