Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since 12:50 left and game is tied, Jackson and alleyne basically are bricklayers.

We shot ourselves out of the game. Who should be holding players accountable?
It's not the players' fault. Those 4-5 straight possessions of AJ getting sucked into the "Andre Island" defense and taking bad shots (i.e., anything other than a layup/dunk at this point) or making bad passes/turnovers were the difference in the game. After once or twice, Hurley should have recognized what McDermott was doing (successfully) and replaced him with the fifth shooter. AJ also did some bad gambling on D with Schierman earlier in the game but he was bringing a lot more to the table than he was taking away at that point in terms of rebounding, effort, etc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We're not a .500 caliber Big East team. We had a frontloaded schedule. We will likely win the next 5 games, or at least 4 of the 5. You are what your record says you are... at the end of the season.

No guarantees, obviously, but if we win less than 13 games in the Big East, then I'll be upset. 13-7 isn't what I hoped, but it's also not a catastrophe considering pre-season expectations.

If the last 24 hours of Big East play showed us anything, it is that bad teams don't pack it in at the end of the season in college like they do in the NBA. Seton Hall is a better defensive team than Creighton, who just held UConn to 7 points in 10 minutes of crunch time. Providence is having another good season of grind it out wins. SJU has already beaten UConn and took out Providence today, and while I think Neptune is a bigger choke coach than Hurley, Villanova has a lot of talent too.

13-7 is not a catastrophe, but good teams like this one don't come along every year. The first month and a half broke just right for UConn, and this team had a shot to get a very high seed and position itself for a Final Four run. KenPom has UConn at 23-8, which is probably a 5 or even a 6 seed depending on how Hurley does in the BET. That means a bubble team or top mid-major in round one (we saw how that went last year) and a second round game against a Kansas or KState. That is a tough road to the Sweet 16.

Next year's team might not be this good, or next year's Big East might be a lot better, or maybe UConn gets picked off in a tournament somewhere or by a low major. A team as good as the one UConn has this year does not come along often, and Hurley is blowing it. Coaches that blow it with a lot of talent don't keep getting the talent forever.

Reaction Score
That was a very winnable road game against a good team, and they it let slip through their hands. This has been a multi-year theme now, to the point where it’s no longer a coincidence.

We saw all of Hurley’s bad traits today. Newton and Jackson were negatives on both sides of the ball, yet they barely came out of the game. Then, with three minutes to go and the game slipping away, he decides to bring in Diarra and Alleyne.

Hurley isn’t that young of a coach anymore - time for him to look in the mirror and figure some things out.
As far as the Diarra-Alleyne sub, AJ had become an offensive liability at that point and needed to be taken out. Who else do you replace him with? Joey C.? If his shot is falling (big maybe), you get an offensive boost but you then have a defensive liability.

Reaction Score
Soooo the difference in the game was that god awful call where Kalk had BOTH feet in the restricted area and Sanogo should’ve had an and-one. Am I missing something here? Seemed clear as day. Regardless Sanogo still thoroughly outplayed him, but sadly got neutralized when they could just pack the paint by not guarding Andre - that has to change
Rules are if the primary defender is inside the circle it is an offensive foul. No other defended was there or it would have been a foul on the defense.

Reaction Score
Hawkins being a zero in the first half hurts. As much as people want AJax on the bench I think they would be screaming looking at our defensive rebounding #s without him. Jackson probably prevents 3-4 offensive rebounds (net 6ish pts) a game, he gets to the ball so quickly and above every defender.

Him and adama were terrific boxing out today.

pj

Reaction Score
McDermott in the first half "they're taking the shots we want them to take and if they continue to take them we'll win" Jackson 11 shots. Hurley on some other planet.

Add in Hurley playing Clingan with no shooters to pass to. Alleyne, Diarra, Jackson, nearly always on the court with him. I just don't get it.

Somehow you have to reverse the Jackson 11 shots Newton 4 shots numbers. Newton is the 3rd scorer (assuming Karaban and Clingan as freshmen are not ready for that) and he has to take shots.

Agreed that Clingan needs to have some time with Hawkins and Newton. We need those two to be iron men, otherwise there's just not enough perimeter scoring.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why any team would bother guarding AJax, completely sag off him and leave him open and it's gonna muck up UConn's offense. I'd imagine that's going to be the gameplan for opposing teams here on out
We’ve seen this the last several games I believe. Coaches have a tendency to be stubborn regarding their strategies but it doesn’t work in the BE. In the tourney I wouldn’t trust it now that the word is out either.

Reaction Score
''I'm mad at him (Sanogo) a little bit right now,'' UConn coach Dan Hurley said. ''I thought he should have shot two or four more 3s in the second half. For us to win that game, I almost felt like at half he was going to have to make another 3 or two.''

Mad at the only guy who came to play today. What?

Reaction Score
It's not the players' fault. Those 4-5 straight possessions of AJ getting sucked into the "Andre Island" defense and taking bad shots (i.e., anything other than a layup/dunk at this point) or making bad passes/turnovers were the difference in the game. After once or twice, Hurley should have recognized what McDermott was doing (successfully) and replaced him with the fifth shooter. AJ also did some bad gambling on D with Schierman earlier in the game but he was bringing a lot more to the table than he was taking away at that point in terms of rebounding, effort, etc.
The crowd sure seemed to be aware of the tactic as they were pleading with him to shoot that outside shot. I also agree re: where AJ needs to be limiting his shots to play above the rim. That kid's athletic ability should not be wasted hitting 29% from beyond the arc. That's on Hurley for not setting this kid up for success.

Reaction Score
As far as the Diarra-Alleyne sub, AJ had become an offensive liability at that point and needed to be taken out. Who else do you replace him with? Joey C.? If his shot is falling (big maybe), you get an offensive boost but you then have a defensive liability.
Diarra and Alleyne were better today than Newton and Jackson, and the minutes should’ve reflected that. Playing those two with Hawkins, Karaban, and Sanogo would’ve given UConn its best chance to win, but we barely saw that lineup in the second half.

There are other games where Joey C has provided a boost off the bench, but today wasn’t a good matchup for him.

Reaction Score
The crowd sure seemed to be aware of the tactic as they were pleading with him to shoot that outside shot. I also agree re: where AJ needs to be limiting his shots to play above the rim. That kid's athletic ability should not be wasted hitting 29% from beyond the arc. That's on Hurley for not setting this kid up for success.
Agreed. If you can't afford to take him out, at least take a timeout to shift how you're deploying him on offense, draw up some plays, whatever. At this point they've seen a million-and-a-half variations of the iso on Andre over the past 5-10 games so (I'd like to hope?) they've got alternatives to counter it if Option A isn't working.

Reaction Score
The problem was Hurley tried to replace him with Alleyene, but there was no dead ball and Jackson threw up 2 more bad shots in the meantime. I guess he could have called a timeout but in a close game those are important for end of game

Reaction Score
If the last 24 hours of Big East play showed us anything, it is that bad teams don't pack it in at the end of the season in college like they do in the NBA. Seton Hall is a better defensive team than Creighton, who just held UConn to 7 points in 10 minutes of crunch time. Providence is having another good season of grind it out wins. SJU has already beaten UConn and took out Providence today, and while I think Neptune is a bigger choke coach than Hurley, Villanova has a lot of talent too.

13-7 is not a catastrophe, but good teams like this one don't come along every year. The first month and a half broke just right for UConn, and this team had a shot to get a very high seed and position itself for a Final Four run. KenPom has UConn at 23-8, which is probably a 5 or even a 6 seed depending on how Hurley does in the BET. That means a bubble team or top mid-major in round one (we saw how that went last year) and a second round game against a Kansas or KState. That is a tough road to the Sweet 16.

Next year's team might not be this good, or next year's Big East might be a lot better, or maybe UConn gets picked off in a tournament somewhere or by a low major. A team as good as the one UConn has this year does not come along often, and Hurley is blowing it. Coaches that blow it with a lot of talent don't keep getting the talent forever.
This season so far is not “blowing it”. This board is so dramatic lmfao

Reaction Score
It never occurs to anyone that if Andre was benched the other team’s best player lights them up and they get down 20. You all just ignore that. Must be nice.
Thank you. His offense is a major issue but we don’t beat 10th ranked Marquette the way we did without his defense. We have to take the good with the bad right now and hope to correct the bad as much as possible

Reaction Score
Adama was by far our best player, and played great D on Kalk. DC missed a few bunnies again. He’s too big to miss them in these big games.
Big kudos to Adama- dude tossed Kalk around like a ragdoll out there once again. Time for Creighton players / nation and Fox studio talking heads to shut down the argument that Kalk is even on par with him, let alone better. It's dead and buried.

Reaction Score
A couple sequences decided this game. It was really lost with around 9-10 minutes left in the second half. We had a 3-1 break and all Diarra had to do was make the simple pass to Clingan for a dunk. Then we had 3 straight possessions with a bunch of chances and no execution. We should've went up by 5 points there and we remained down by 1.

The other sequence that decided the game was under 7 minutes left Jackson makes a turnover with nobody guarding him trying to force it into Sanogo when Adama was right next to him, Jackson fouls right away on the other end, then Jackson shoots an airball 3. This all happens with Alexander on the bench.

Creighton didn't score a field goal for 7 minutes and their best offensive player was on the bench and they extended the lead to 6.

Karaban makes a huge three to keep us in the game only down 3 and then Jackson bricks a floater and bricks a wide open 3.

We know we're terrible in close games and terrible on the road, these are the sequences where we should be grabbing a hold of the game. When it's a one possession game with a minute or two left, our chances of winning are incredibly low.

I love Jackson as a person and love some of the things he can do on the court but he really hurts this team on offense, when the opponent can back 10 feet off a player the entire game you're playing 4 on 5 basketball on the offensive end and it makes life really difficult for the 4 guys who have scoring ability.
This 100%. I was rueing the missed opportunities to grab this game by the throat in that 8 min mark to the 4 min mark with Alexander being on the bench for some of that time Trey killed us with back breakers today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom