Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Newton was great today. He was looking to score from the start, that's the Newton we need.
this very much. that was his mindset at East Carolina, but he had to change it when we arrived at UConn, but he overcorrected. He needs that good middle ground and I thought he had it today. I would still like him to be able to finish near the basket more, but overall I was pleased with his game.

Reaction Score
Karaban has been through a meat grinder the last three games with Freemantle-Hunter/Hopkins/Kaluma..All of them will probably have opportunities at the next level. He's a smart kid and will learn from that/this experience.. I'm sure he's going to sleep well tonite.
Karaban is playing an insane amount of minutes for a non-lottery pick, non-one and done freshman. It's hard for me to criticize him. He's out there battling against dudes way bigger than him for long stretches so far in conference play. Can't really expect better than what he's been doing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley improved as a coach today. Not just because shots started going in. In-game adjustments that I noticed:
  1. Sanogo mixed in drop coverage, and Creighton couldn’t exploit his defense like they wanted to
  2. The bench defense was great today and Hurley made the subs at the right times
  3. Offense/defense subs down the stretch. Diarra/Alleyne came in for defense, Newton/AK for offense. This is a big deal. Hurley typically runs with starters down the stretch no matter what
  4. Throwing in a random full court press that directly led to 2 turnovers
Sanogo destroyed Kalkbrenner. Early in the game I said Kalkbrenner was owning Sanogo, and then Sanogo destroyed him. Creighton shaded extra defenders in the second half but that flowed into secondary offense that got good looks for shooters.

Hawkins’ percentage was bad, but great game imo. Newton had a solid game. Clingan’s box score isn’t good but he had a great impact too

We lost most of the hustle plays for 37 minutes but then came alive down the stretch. Great plays by Andre and Newton to extend possessions for us. We nearly had the ball for a minute and a half straight thanks to them

Still lots of fouls. 19 fouls today but the refs blew the whistle on the other end too. That’s all we ask for. Kaluma pushes off every time he drives though

Honestly we didn’t play great. Creighton missed a LOT of good looks for threes. The game should have been a lot closer. But regardless, we made the winning plays and they did not. Great win!
they did miss some, but I thought UConn did, too-that's how Creighton got back from that early 11-point deficit in the 2nd half. With Scheirman (spelling) likes to get some points in the paint near the basket off screen action to get some rythmn and then start firing away from 3 after he gets his rythmn. AJax had some really nice D on him.

Reaction Score
His scoring was huge all game but Clingan's impact was enormous in the second half. The game changed with Clingan and Diarra on the floor. Still needs to find a way to play Clingan more.
Today felt like the right allocation considering Clingan's foul problems in 1H. Sanogo got big buckets in the block to stem the tides of their runs at 2 or 3 different points in the game, including at one point in the 2H when Creighton went on the 14-2 run and everyone was calling for us to put in Clingan. Sanogo then scored our next 8 points and we pushed the lead back to 5. He made a coupe post layups, hit a 3, and got to the line drawing Kalkbrenner's 3rd. Then Clingan got to feast on the backups.

But Hurley was smart and still played Clingan despite the 2 fouls with 5 min left in 1st and he had a big impact. Felt right overall.

Reaction Score
Some misc observations/thoughts:

Creighton only 5 assists (I think our guards defensively impacted and they missed some good looks). I'd be interested what was really key, whether our pressure on their guards or depriving other players of position.

Creighton 20 offensive RB but 8 were team rebounds where evidently we scrapped but the ball went off us.
I thought their missed 3 pointers lead to several deep rebounds that just happened to go to them. Kaluma 6 ORBs was the place he dominated Alex. (16 RBs overall)

Only 5 turnovers by us!!! And, 1 of those was the questionable screen by Jackson with a handoff to Hawk that took a 3 off the board. We win most games with that stat.

Still think Sanogo call in first half should have been a charge

There are plays where Karaban is overmatched defensively, but Kaluma only made 5 baskets total with 5-16 from the floor, ie 30% ish. Positioning was solid and the non-box score play like the rebound boxout gave us a 'team' rebound that wasn't just luck. Unlike others in 'chat' I thought the Karaban foul should have been a no call.

Liked that Jackson didn't take the bait to shoot threes down the stretch.

Diarra got caught needing to take desperation threes which at least he had shot clock awareness to take. He is turning into a UConn 'Posh' defensively on the ball.

Joey got 2 of our 6 steals in limited minutes. He's due for 3-4 made threes soon.

Glass Half full today, not half empty

Reaction Score
What a day to come down with COVID and miss the game. Clearly the Gampel was loud enough as Big Red’s chants let me know from this couch. Nice to see the team back to running their game while penetrating a bit more. Less desperate and more poised.
oh bummer sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better.

Reaction Score
Agree on Jackson's patience and not being baited into taking every 3. I don't mind Jackson taking 2-3 deep shots a game as long as they are wide open (which they pretty much always will be) and feet set immediate shot in rhythm, no hesitation or 5 shot fakes first. If he misses 'em, he misses 'em. He did a great job of not taking the out of rhythm bait shots that scheiergardenhoser was giving him all game.

Reaction Score
Agree on Jackson's patience and not being baited into taking every 3. I don't mind Jackson taking 2-3 deep shots a game as long as they are wide open (which they pretty much always will be) and feet set immediate shot in rhythm, no hesitation or 5 shot fakes first. If he misses 'em, he misses 'em. He did a great job of not taking the out of rhythm bait shots that scheiergardenhoser was giving him all game.
I said in chat at one point that we were taking the shots they were giving us, not the shots we wanted. And pretty much immediately after that we called timeout and then went inside to Sanogo a few times, got buckets, then got Clingan in and hit the boards and started turning them over and got into transition. That's UConn ball.

Reaction Score
Karaban is playing an insane amount of minutes for a non-lottery pick, non-one and done freshman. It's hard for me to criticize him. He's out there battling against dudes way bigger than him for long stretches so far in conference play. Can't really expect better than what he's been doing.
yeah he's being asked to do way more than he should be. he played 32 minutes today.

it's hurting us this year, but it's going to pay dividends next year after he has time to get stronger and work on his game in the off-season.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Some misc observations/thoughts:

Creighton only 5 assists (I think our guards defensively impacted and they missed some good looks). I'd be interested what was really key, whether our pressure on their guards or depriving other players of position.

Creighton 20 offensive RB but 8 were team rebounds where evidently we scrapped but the ball went off us.
I thought their missed 3 pointers lead to several deep rebounds that just happened to go to them. Kaluma 6 ORBs was the place he dominated Alex. (16 RBs overall)

Only 5 turnovers by us!!! And, 1 of those was the questionable screen by Jackson with a handoff to Hawk that took a 3 off the board. We win most games with that stat.

Still think Sanogo call in first half should have been a charge

There are plays where Karaban is overmatched defensively, but Kaluma only made 5 baskets total with 5-16 from the floor, ie 30% ish. Positioning was solid and the non-box score play like the rebound boxout gave us a 'team' rebound that wasn't just luck. Unlike others in 'chat' I thought the Karaban foul should have been a no call.

Diarra got caught needing to take desperation threes which at least he had shot clock awareness to take. He is turning into a UConn 'Posh' defensively on the ball.

Joey got 2 of our 6 steals in limited minutes. He's due for 3-4 made threes soon.

Glass Half full today, not half empty
And for the Donny haters he did say I don't know about that on review of the Jackson screen and also didn't think Adama's was a blocking foul

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His scoring was huge all game but Clingan's impact was enormous in the second half. The game changed with Clingan and Diarra on the floor. Still needs to find a way to play Clingan more.
Come on. Clingan comes in when Kalk goes out (mostly). When he came in in the 2nd half he missed two layups and fouled someone in his first minute or so. He’s a really nice player and a huge asset off the bench. He wasn’t all that impactful today. Hawk and Newton were huge today. Hope we can get more from Alleyne, Joey and Karaban going forward.

Poe

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner got rattled on offense when the couple of times he tried to backdown Sanogo, he was an immovable wall. He couldn’t get good shots off. Credit to Adama for holding Kalk away from the basket and not getting into foul trouble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Today felt like the right allocation considering Clingan's foul problems in 1H. Sanogo got big buckets in the block to stem the tides of their runs at 2 or 3 different points in the game, including at one point in the 2H when Creighton went on the 14-2 run and everyone was calling for us to put in Clingan. Sanogo then scored our next 8 points and we pushed the lead back to 5. He made a coupe post layups, hit a 3, and got to the line drawing Kalkbrenner's 3rd. Then Clingan got to feast on the backups.

But Hurley was smart and still played Clingan despite the 2 fouls with 5 min left in 1st and he had a big impact. Felt right overall.
That was smart. Needed to get Clingan minutes while Kalkbrenner was out with two fouls. Hurley pretty clearly didn’t want Clingan guarding Kalkbrenner for any extended period.

Reaction Score
And this is why SJ is needed to get back on the court

Reaction Score
Good Quad 2 win.
Sanogo showed why he was the preseason POY for the BE over Kalkbrenner.
Finally beat Creighton.
Good to stop the bleeding after 2 losses.

1673127899166.gif

Reaction Score
And for the Donny haters he did say I don't know about that on review of the Jackson screen and also didn't think Adama's was a blocking foul
I didn’t like his take when AJ and Nembhard collided going for the ball late and AJ got the foul. He said Nemb was going for the ball and didn’t mean to make contact. Same could be said for AJ. Blowing the whistle there was just dumb, just say it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom