Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Wow Hawkins 4-13 Yikes. It really was just Sanogo today. We really need a 3rd scorer to step up. Newton? Karaban? Joey C.?

Reaction Score
Creighton has an issue with McDermott, he got severely out coached today.

;)
Our coaches pushed a lot of the right buttons like timely time outs and substitutions on a day we didn't make a lot of shots outside the paint. A serious good win to keep us in the conservation.
Would have like to see the twin towers 5-8 minutes but the early two on Donavan perhaps prevented that combination.

Our defensive rebounding needs a good review, we can't give up that many second and third shots for these tough games.

Reaction Score
Today was Karaban’s best defensive game by a country mile.

Didn’t do much offense but played very well.
Better but I wouldn’t say very well.

Kaluma ate Karaban up on the boards. I’m a Karaban fan but we need Johnson back for certain matchups. Karaban is a high IQ player with a nice shot, but he has slow feet and slow to react in certain situations.

Reaction Score
Good game all around. I think they did a great job of defending without hacking and reaching in. Sanogo dominated. Kind of surprised McDermott went with no double teams after watching tape of our last couple games.

One thing I would have liked is more time for Joey to try and get him back on track. We're gonna need him to be hitting big shots come tournament time.
McDermott is stubborn. Major flaw as a coach We’ve seen it first hand before. Once he comes up with a game plan, he won’t adjust it. It worked last year with his plan of letting Whaley shoot 3s. This year, not doubling Sanogo was no bueno. Refused to adjust.

;)

Reaction Score
Our coaches pushed a lot of the right buttons like timely time outs and substitutions on a day we didn't make a lot of shots outside the paint. A serious good win to keep us in the conservation.
Would have like to see the twin towers 5-8 minutes but the early two on Donavan perhaps prevented that combination.

Our defensive rebounding needs a good review, we can't give up that many second and third shots for these tough games.
The mic picked up Hurley saying that in the time out “huddle”.

Reaction Score
Wow Hawkins 4-13 Yikes. It really was just Sanogo today. We really need a 3rd scorer to step up. Newton? Karaban? Joey C.?
Karaban has gone underground; he passes up a number of shots. Why? He could easily be the 3rd scorer. Newton has his best game in a while. Kados to Santago, an outstanding game against a very good defensive player with length. Keep shooting Hawkins, mostly very good shots. They are in rhythm and are close. Nothing forced and we didn't often run down the shot clock and shoot in desperation.

Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley improved as a coach today. Not just because shots started going in. In-game adjustments that I noticed:
  1. Sanogo mixed in drop coverage, and Creighton couldn’t exploit his defense like they wanted to
  2. The bench defense was great today and Hurley made the subs at the right times
  3. Offense/defense subs down the stretch. Diarra/Alleyne came in for defense, Newton/AK for offense. This is a big deal. Hurley typically runs with starters down the stretch no matter what
  4. Throwing in a random full court press that directly led to 2 turnovers
Sanogo destroyed Kalkbrenner. Early in the game I said Kalkbrenner was owning Sanogo, and then Sanogo destroyed him. Creighton shaded extra defenders in the second half but that flowed into secondary offense that got good looks for shooters.

Hawkins’ percentage was bad, but great game imo. Newton had a solid game. Clingan’s box score isn’t good but he had a great impact too

We lost most of the hustle plays for 37 minutes but then came alive down the stretch. Great plays by Andre and Newton to extend possessions for us. We nearly had the ball for a minute and a half straight thanks to them

Still lots of fouls. 19 fouls today but the refs blew the whistle on the other end too. That’s all we ask for. Kaluma pushes off every time he drives though

Honestly we didn’t play great. Creighton missed a LOT of good looks for threes. The game should have been a lot closer. But regardless, we made the winning plays and they did not. Great win!

Reaction Score
Better but I wouldn’t say very well.

Kaluma ate Karaban up on the boards. I’m a Karaban fan but we need Johnson back for certain matchups. Karaban is a high IQ player with a nice shot, but he has slow feet and slow to react in certain situations.
Karaban needs more experience to make up for his slowness. Play smart if you are not that quick.

Reaction Score
McDermott is stubborn. Major flaw as a coach We’ve seen it first hand before. Once he comes up with a game plan, he won’t adjust it. It worked last year with his plan of letting Whaley shoot 3s. This year, not doubling Sanogo was no bueno. Refused to adjust.

;)
The defense did crowd Santago regularly, but he was patient until one on one with K. He also got the ball in deep from our guards who did a great job feeding him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo dominated offensively all game but the game entirely changed when Clingan came in second half. Hurley waited too long to bring him in and didn't play him enough.

Clingan and Diarra had a huge impact on this game.
He played well, Sanogo dominated. It’s just funny cause it seems like Clingan gets extra credit when he out plays Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Karaban has been through a meat grinder the last three games with Freemantle-Hunter/Hopkins/Kaluma..All of them will probably have opportunities at the next level. He's a smart kid and will learn from that/this experience.. I'm sure he's going to sleep well tonite.

Reaction Score
A Sanogo wrinkle that worked very well was getting him a perimeter touch, usually on the wing, before he rolled inside to receive the ball.

The movement into a quick post up made it much tougher for Kalkbrenner to battle him for positioning or push Adama out of his comfort zone, and it kept Creighton from being able to keep our guards from making entry passes since it wasn’t a traditional static post play.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yes, Hurley improved as a coach today. Not just because shots started going in. In-game adjustments that I noticed:
  1. Sanogo mixed in drop coverage, and Creighton couldn’t exploit his defense like they wanted to
  2. The bench defense was great today and Hurley made the subs at the right times
  3. Offense/defense subs down the stretch. Diarra/Alleyne came in for defense, Newton/AK for offense. This is a big deal. Hurley typically runs with starters down the stretch no matter what
Sanogo destroyed Kalkbrenner. Early in the game I said Kalkbrenner was owning Sanogo, and then Sanogo destroyed him. Creighton shaded extra defenders in the second half but that flowed into secondary offense that got good looks for shooters.

Hawkins’ percentage was bad, but great game imo. Newton had a solid game. Clingan’s box score isn’t good but he had a great impact too

We lost most of the hustle plays for 37 minutes but then came alive down the stretch. Great plays by Andre and Newton to extend possessions for us. We nearly had the ball for a minute and a half straight thanks to them

Still lots of fouls. 19 fouls today but the refs blew the whistle on the other end too. That’s all we ask for. Kaluma pushes off every time he drives though

Honestly we didn’t play great. Creighton missed a LOT of good looks for threes. The game should have been a lot closer. But regardless, we made the winning plays and they did not. Great win!
The Diarra Alleyne tandem had Nembhard really scratching his head. Love watching him mouth WTF after a TO

Reaction Score
Great job on D. We definitely played much tougher D than they did and they were gassed in the second half.

I'm amazed at how ineffective Kalkbrenner was today after his previous performances against us. Credit to the staff, Sanogo and Clingan for never letting him get untracked.

Reaction Score

Hurley has been doing the offense/defense substituting down the stretch for a while. We just didn't make note of it while either winning comfortably or looking like s___ at the end against Providence.

Reaction Score
Creighton is still #18 on kenpom. This is a solid win despite their 9-7 record.
of course it is. I know the 7 losses they have still count, but I think 4 of them were without Kalkbrenner. He makes such a huge difference for them. If he wasn't playing today, UConn wins by 20 and would've been comfortably leading for most of the game without it ever being in doubt, plus it wouldn't have been as satisfying to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom