Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I’ve seen some posts about Hawkins not having a good game. I disagree. Yeah he was 4-13 but had 17 on those 4 makes. How? Drawing fouls.

His release is so quick and he’s so good running off screens that he’s already in the air by the time the defender can react. He was 6-6 on free throws today from 2 fouled threes. If you treat those 6 FTs like 2 made threes, he’s 6-15 which suddenly doesn’t look horrible. Also consider that one of his misses was a 50 foot heave before halftime

Had a great defensive game as well, and this one did translate into the box score. 2 steals and 2 blocks. Hawk had a great game today

Reaction Score
I’ve seen some posts about Hawkins not having a good game. I disagree. Yeah he was 4-13 but had 17 on those 4 makes. How? Drawing fouls.

His release is so quick and he’s so good running off screens that he’s already in the air by the time the defender can react. He was 6-6 on free throws today from 2 fouled threes. If you treat those 6 FTs like 2 made threes, he’s 6-15 which suddenly doesn’t look horrible. Also consider that one of his misses was a 50 foot heave before halftime

Had a great defensive game as well, and this one did translate into the box score. 2 steals and 2 blocks. Hawk had a great game today
Agreed I am glad you posted this. His D is underrated.

Reaction Score

also had a 3 wiped off the board on illegal screen call

Reaction Score
Better but I wouldn’t say very well.

Kaluma ate Karaban up on the boards. I’m a Karaban fan but we need Johnson back for certain matchups. Karaban is a high IQ player with a nice shot, but he has slow feet and slow to react in certain situations.
Karaban is a freshman and still learning the game. Not in the pure sense, but in learning how the game is played in the BE with BE refs.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Clingan only nine minutes?

8C17FA64-9037-4630-8072-EEB554EFA512.jpeg

Reaction Score
In 37 minutes, zero points for Alleyne, Joey C. and Diarra. We need more from them.
Offense flowed pretty well with Diarra at point and he stuffed Nembhard in a locker when Hurley was letting him be aggressive. No complaints about Hassan today

Reaction Score
Overall, felt like a good win. They could not stop AS and Creighton did not bring the second defender very often - he certainly outplayed his opponent on both ends. Hurley kept his composure, and when the tv replayed what he said in the huddle about toughness and rebounding was on point. Newton with his best game in a while. Just happy and relieved to get a win.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hunter at the next level? No. Hopkins yes. Not sold on Kaluma. Has spurts where looks great but then goes long periods doing nothing. Also a poor ball handler
Kaluma has somehow gotten worse since last season despite having the best coach ever to step onto a basketball court, according to the most qualified experts around here

Reaction Score
Early in the game, Creighton was inbounding the ball. It was not after a made basket and the inbounded took about 3-4 steps and inbounded the ball. It was clearly illegal and no one caught it. I was screaming at the tv.

No doubt there were some bad calls that went Creightons way, but there were some bad bad calls today both for and against UConn as well. The reffing needs to get better… it’s straight up bad right now.

PS…. the only way to stop bad officiating from your couch is to scream at the tv…. so my wife tells me…. or maybe it’s stfu …. i forget

Reaction Score
Highly disagree. Who would you have sat over Joey?

Hawkins? 17.2 ppg, 31.5 mpg in his last nine games.

Newton? His best game since the Oregon game who made shots, got to the line and played great D.

Diarra? Pestering defensive glue guy.

Those three players are far more important in our team's title dreams than Calcaterra.
Funny you replied with this because I almost put a caveat in my post saying I wasn't sure who he could have taken minutes from. But I do remember a particular stretch where I thought he could have been in instead of Alleyne. I know he might do some stuff defensively that maybe doesn't show up on a stat line, but that's who my mind went to.

Reaction Score
It’s insane that he’s not being used more often should be closer to 25/15. Metrics say play DC more, defensively we’re noticeably better. With that said Sanogo is a beast.
I think they wanted to play him more since they brought him in early in the game. But he got 2 quick fouls and they had to pull him back out. After that, Adama was absolutely destroying Kalkbrenner that there was no way they were going to replace him with Cling other than to give him some rest.

Reaction Score
Some misc observations/thoughts:

Creighton only 5 assists (I think our guards defensively impacted and they missed some good looks). I'd be interested what was really key, whether our pressure on their guards or depriving other players of position.

Creighton 20 offensive RB but 8 were team rebounds where evidently we scrapped but the ball went off us.
I thought their missed 3 pointers lead to several deep rebounds that just happened to go to them. Kaluma 6 ORBs was the place he dominated Alex. (16 RBs overall)

Only 5 turnovers by us!!! And, 1 of those was the questionable screen by Jackson with a handoff to Hawk that took a 3 off the board. We win most games with that stat.

Still think Sanogo call in first half should have been a charge

There are plays where Karaban is overmatched defensively, but Kaluma only made 5 baskets total with 5-16 from the floor, ie 30% ish. Positioning was solid and the non-box score play like the rebound boxout gave us a 'team' rebound that wasn't just luck. Unlike others in 'chat' I thought the Karaban foul should have been a no call.

Liked that Jackson didn't take the bait to shoot threes down the stretch.

Diarra got caught needing to take desperation threes which at least he had shot clock awareness to take. He is turning into a UConn 'Posh' defensively on the ball.

Joey got 2 of our 6 steals in limited minutes. He's due for 3-4 made threes soon.

Glass Half full today, not half empty
I am not so sure a blocked shot that goes out of bounds is considered a team rebound. I don’t believe it would count as a shot attempt. I always thought that a team rebound is one that hits the floor and a scrum occurs.

Reaction Score
16 rebounds and 14 pts is worse ?
Then he lays an egg in the next game. Very inconsistent. Poor ball handler. Not a very good shooter. Yes very athletic and looks great at times.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
16 rebounds and 14 pts is worse ?
I’m judging based on how he’s looked this season not based on how every 4 with athleticism looks against us.

He was a late lottery pick in some ppls eyes at the end of last season.

Reaction Score
I am not so sure a blocked shot that goes out of bounds is considered a team rebound. I don’t believe it would count as a shot attempt. I always thought that a team rebound is one that hits the floor and a scrum occurs.
Thought it was, just looked it up to be sure. Counts as a missed shot and rebound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom