Creighton forum talking UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Creighton forum talking UConn

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The generalization of people from different regions being real nice, fake nice, kind, fake kind, tell it like it is, etc. has always been dumb.

For my money the two most obnoxious fanbases are ours and Syracuse - not even sure who I'
You must have never had the pleasure of meeting a Duke fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes and the Brits overestimated that and ended up losing quite a lot to guerrilla warfare. But it wasn’t just the mountain people resisting. That’s the post I reacted to.
But that's not what I said.

Reaction Score
Sure it is.

They all love Fleet Farm stores. It's a common bond of Midwesterners.
My buddy and I have a running joke about the other one. When I was first hanging out with him years ago he would always say he was coming from a Farm and Fleet. I had no idea what it was at the time. Now whenever I see him, "It's hey, Farm and Fleet" or "Did you just get back from Farm and Fleet?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My buddy and I have a running joke about the other one. When I was first hanging out with him years ago he would always say he was coming from a Farm and Fleet. I had no idea what it was at the time. Now whenever I see him, "It's hey, Farm and Fleet" or "Did you just get back from Farm and Fleet?"

Fleet Farm for men would be like creating a single store for women which combined Target, Michael's, Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath and Beyond and Ulta.

Fleet Farm truly encompasses all things midwest for men in one store. Not only were there multiple aisles of ice fishing enclosures and auggers for drilling, there was basically flannel clothing to infinity and 8 or 9 aisles of fishing lures. Heck the gun aisles had a section of shotguns labeled home defense. And then there was the section of snowblowers, another section of tires including studded tires and chains for tires, all the animal feed one could ever need, all sorts of game meat jerky...........................

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
BREAKING: this thread covers more than creighton forum's opinion of UConn basketball team

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
For the record, I believe the intent of @Get a Job was to have some fun demonstrating the NE mindset.

His first paragraph mocked, and his second paragraph insulted, but I doubt he was representing himself or being serious in either.

I'll also guess that he is (or was) from the NE.

I'm glad that I chose to Love the post.
It crossed my mind for sure - but just read it the other way.

Glad I was wrong.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It crossed my mind for sure - but just read it the other way.

Glad I was wrong.
Tbh, I had a reflective moment when I considered that it's both funny & sad that UConn's regional culture could give rise to a person being uncertain if, "You're such an idiot!" was a joke or just somebody being that boldly offensive. We do some of both here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Fleet Farm for men would be like creating a single store for women which combined Target, Michael's, Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath and Beyond and Ulta.

Fleet Farm truly encompasses all things midwest for men in one store. Not only were there multiple aisles of ice fishing enclosures and auggers for drilling, there was basically flannel clothing to infinity and 8 or 9 aisles of fishing lures. Heck the gun aisles had a section of shotguns labeled home defense. And then there was the section of snowblowers, another section of tires including studded tires and chains for tires, all the animal feed one could ever need, all sorts of game meat jerky...........................
Not only were there multiple aisles of ice fishing enclosures and auggers for drilling, there was basically flannel clothing to infinity and 8 or 9 aisles of fishing lures. Heck the gun aisles had a section of shotguns labeled home defense. And then there was the section of snowblowers, another section of tires including studded tires and chains for tires, all the animal feed one could ever need, all sorts of game meat jerky...........................
makes me nostalgic for a former local icon - Bennies, in Saybrook.
(u listening, auggy doggie? it's Saybrooook, not saybrahk. never 'Old Saybrahk,' tho sometimes 'Old Saybroook.') store had everything like that, tho the tackle was salt water and not ice fishing, and no hay and grain.) u could buy an ironing board, a set of tires, and a bag of cotton candy all in one trip.

now, it's going to be a 'whole paycheck.' lovely. thanks a bunch, West. u and ur carpetbagger pals are going to try and kill our bucolic home.
when u headed for the checkout at Bennies, u couldn't miss a big table in front of them that always had a large selection of grab bag snacks, some weird, some normal, all inexpensive. the typical customer would exit the store, with a bag of firely hot nacho cheese curls, or apple flavored jellies, or jerky, and think 'huh. didn't think i was hungry when i came in.'
do they sell paint at that store? Bennies sold a lot of that, too.
and kayaks.

this is 'Brak'
77118-2.jpg

i should get a local movement going that calls the invaders 'braks.'

Reaction Score
...unless you think it does.

A final note: imagine the Creighton fan who visits here and gets excited thinking, "Oh wow, there's a thread with 137 posts about Creighton on the UConn message board."
yeah this thread got way off topic.

Reaction Score
Midwestern people are nice. I went to a conference in Minneapolis in June once and walked into a Target, their corporate home city. Anyway, fresh faced young clerks with smiles on their faces kept coming up to me and asking how they can help me find what I want. I was in a daze after that and bought a Minnesota Wild T shirt for my grandson for no reason. Then I thought, hey it would be nice to live here because everybody was that way it seemed, but then I remembered that in January it’s 42 below there.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Not only were there multiple aisles of ice fishing enclosures and auggers for drilling, there was basically flannel clothing to infinity and 8 or 9 aisles of fishing lures. Heck the gun aisles had a section of shotguns labeled home defense. And then there was the section of snowblowers, another section of tires including studded tires and chains for tires, all the animal feed one could ever need, all sorts of game meat jerky...........................
makes me nostalgic for a former local icon - Bennies, in Saybrook.
(u listening, auggy doggie? it's Saybrooook, not saybrahk. never 'Old Saybrahk,' tho sometimes 'Old Saybroook.') store had everything like that, tho the tackle was salt water and not ice fishing, and no hay and grain.) u could buy an ironing board, a set of tires, and a bag of cotton candy all in one trip.

now, it's going to be a 'whole paycheck.' lovely. thanks a bunch, West. u and ur carpetbagger pals are going to try and kill our bucolic home.
when u headed for the checkout at Bennies, u couldn't miss a big table in front of them that always had a large selection of grab bag snacks, some weird, some normal, all inexpensive. the typical customer would exit the store, with a bag of firely hot nacho cheese curls, or apple flavored jellies, or jerky, and think 'huh. didn't think i was hungry when i came in.'
do they sell paint at that store? Bennies sold a lot of that, too.
and kayaks.

this is 'Brak'
77118-2.jpg

i should get a local movement going that calls the invaders 'braks.'
Had one in Groton. Great store.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Tbh, I had a reflective moment when I considered that it's both funny & sad that UConn's regional culture could give rise to a person being uncertain if, "You're such an idiot!" was a joke or just somebody being that boldly offensive. We do some of both here.
You know the drill, "it's a joke unless you're offended, in which case I was dead serious".

Reaction Score
Hasn't been my experience at all. I noticed the difference right away in Chicago as opposed to NYC, Boston, Fairfield County. It was much easier talking to women at bars, easier making friends, people holding doors for each other, giving up their seat right away for someone who could maybe use it more, people waiting their turn...

I've noticed it throughout the Midwest people are just generally friendlier, more approachable, very little ego, don't care much about keeping up with the Joneses, gossip, talking badly about others...
100% agree. Do a lot of work in Midwest and everywhere I go have no problem striking up conversation with locals and they remember you and will come up to you and say hi when seeing them again around town

I’ve been invited to 4th July parties, 30th anniversary party, cookouts, etc after 1 time of meeting people in the Midwest

Extremely nice pleasant people

Reaction Score
Spotted Cow.
Only sold in Wisconsin. When we work out there my boss stops at every package store he finds and buys them out of spotted cow and totally naked

One place remembered him from the year before and asked arent you the guy that bought all my spotted cow last year

@August_West how many supper clubs have you eaten at in the Midwest?

Reaction Score

Menards also

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hasn't been my experience at all. I noticed the difference right away in Chicago as opposed to NYC, Boston, Fairfield County. It was much easier talking to women at bars, easier making friends, people holding doors for each other, giving up their seat right away for someone who could maybe use it more, people waiting their turn...

I've noticed it throughout the Midwest people are just generally friendlier, more approachable, very little ego, don't care much about keeping up with the Joneses, gossip, talking badly about others...
Yes, and it's certainly that way in KC too. My guess is people from NYC may think the people are fake or superficial, because they can't believe people are genuinely that nice. But they mostly are.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You’re talking about people whose favorite Beer is Grain Belt
This made me laugh. My wife is from Wisconsin and she makes Brandy Old Fashioned's from time to time. Absolutely horrendous. I gave her a sip of an actual Old Fashioned I was drinking once and she almost threw up.

So, I go in to work this morning and start talking with the folks I'm working alongside. I told them the brandy old fashioned was not good. I'm working with a group of about 20-25 people ranging from early 20's to somewhere in their 50's. Two of the girls who are in their 20's genuinely almost seemed offended I didn't like it. I did my best to recover and say if someone handed me one, I'd take it and drink it but I'd never order one again. They seemed to buy off on it.

Reaction Score
So, I go in to work this morning and start talking with the folks I'm working alongside. I told them the brandy old fashioned was not good. I'm working with a group of about 20-25 people ranging from early 20's to somewhere in their 50's. Two of the girls who are in their 20's genuinely almost seemed offended I didn't like it. I did my best to recover and say if someone handed me one, I'd take it and drink it but I'd never order one again. They seemed to buy off on it.

Probably not dissimilar to my brother in law's reaction the first time I expressed my thoughts on ice fishing.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Only difference down south and Midwest is they don’t say things to your face. They talk about you behind your back and you become the hot gossip going around in small town America.
I’ve lived in North Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas, CT and now Vermont. It was easiest to make really good friends in Missouri. People are friendly and caring. It is different.

I did find NC to be “bless your heart” kind, but still pleasant. If you don’t know that expression is kind of like aloha, sometimes it does mean bless your heart and sometimes it means get bent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom