Creighton forum talking UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Creighton forum talking UConn

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
St Louis is in the Midwest. The arch represents the city being the gateway to the west, NOT the gateway to the south.
Except for Chuckles County.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was actually quoting what people FROM these states told me. I've never been to Missouri other than the St. Louis airport, and I've not been to many places in Oklahoma outside of the one week I spent in Stillwater and Tulsa. The people I know are from Springfield, MO, where they told me they identify as southern. I've also never been to the Plains states, any of them. I just know that midwesterners always draw a distinction, and it mostly has to do with farmers versus industrial workers. So sure, an Indiana wheat farmer has much more in common with a Nebraska corn farmer than either of them do with a typical Midwestern industrial worker. But in the MW, you have a huge number of blue collar workers or ex blue collar families. This is why the politics are so different from the Plains states.
Ok, but I'm a person from those states, going back many generations. Have family near Springfield too (and my law school roommate is from there). KS, MO, Nebraska all clearly identify as midwestern. The VOX and 538 surveys show as much. KS was over 80% for example.

Springfield is an outlier. Think of it like Fairfield County. It's in a mountain lakes region bordering Arkansas, and yes, they sound a bit southern (hillbilly really) and identify with the rest of the Ozarks area folks, who are in Arkansas and far eastern OK (well east of Tulsa). The Ozarks are kind of like Appalachia, it's it's own thing.

Reaction Score
Ok, but I'm a person from those states, going back many generations. Have family near Springfield too (and my law school roommate is from there). KS, MO, Nebraska all clearly identify as midwestern. The VOX and 538 surveys show as much. KS was over 80% for example.

Springfield is an outlier. Think of it like Fairfield County. It's in a mountain lakes region bordering Arkansas, and yes, they sound a bit southern (hillbilly really) and identify with the rest of the Ozarks area folks, who are in Arkansas and far eastern OK (well east of Tulsa). The Ozarks are kind of like Appalachia, it's it's own thing.
Have you ever considered though that you think of yourself as midwestern and the people from Michigan are like, "No, try again??!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the record with these midwesterners......

Whoever thinks a brandy Old Fashioned is better than a bourbon Old Fashioned is nuts.

I tried 'em both as sweet and as sour and the brandy drinks both sucked. The sour bourbon was okay.

Probably wouldn't order again but I'd take it if offered.

Reaction Score
Conference rooms at second rate hotels are a Minnesota family get together requirement complete with fold up long tables with paper tablecloths covered with the “ hot dish”Every single person attending brought ( and they all contain a “ cream of something” soup)
And.. Lime jello with carrots

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My wife(from Iowa) has a dry rub for fish/Walleye from a bait shop near Lake Okoboji on speed dial.. Usually have 8-10 packages in inventory.. Also works great with Atlantic fish ..

BTW.. Some of those pot lucks out in the Mid-West kick butt.
Walleye is best freshwater eating fish ever. I’m in western Michigan at least 1/2 dozen times a year for work 2 out of 5 dinners every trip are walleye

August_West

Reaction Score

Whoever thinks a brandy Old Fashioned is better than a bourbon Old Fashioned is nuts.

I tried 'em both as sweet and as sour and the brandy drinks both sucked. The sour bourbon was okay.

You’re talking about people whose favorite Beer is Grain Belt

Reaction Score
Walleye is best freshwater eating fish ever. I’m in western Michigan at least 1/2 dozen times a year for work 2 out of 5 dinners every trip are walleye
I wonder why it isn’t offered more on the east coast in general. It is fairly readily available in Florida to cater to the Upper Midwest crowd. Amazing and mild fish. Never had a bad one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A five minute internet search would have been much more effective in defining the Midwest.
But then we would have missed out on all the arguements.

August_West

Reaction Score
A five minute internet search would have been much more effective in defining the Midwest.
But then we would have missed out on all the arguements.
Totally agree we need to get back to why coach doesn’t play Donovan and Adama together.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This made me laugh. My wife is from Wisconsin and she makes Brandy Old Fashioned's from time to time. Absolutely horrendous. I gave her a sip of an actual Old Fashioned I was drinking once and she almost threw up.

I would never order one again once I depart here, but if I'm in the area again and need to blend in with the locals, I know how to do it.

Reaction Score
Might want to brush up on that history.

There were a lot of “loyalists” located in those parts more than any other colonies, history major sorry LOL

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There were a lot of “loyalists” located in those parts more than any other colonies, history major sorry LOL
Yes and the Brits overestimated that and ended up losing quite a lot to guerrilla warfare. But it wasn’t just the mountain people resisting. That’s the post I reacted to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It can be ok with the right brandy. Rye is the best choice.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom