COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 26 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Except if that person has contact with the unvaccinated and they end up dying. I personally have seen evidence of this happening with someone I know. Children can’t go to school without their vaccinations but if you want to hang your hat on the soon to be FDA approval feel free but it’s not practical In a crisis like this. I assume it’s mandatory for all UCONN players, coaches, and staff to be vaccinated. You would not mandate that?

According to Randy Edsall last week the football team was over 90% vaccinated and he made no mention to unvaccinated players from being held out from camp. I'd take that to mean it isn't mandatory. Yet.

I fully expect Pfizer to be FDA approved in September.

Reaction Score
According to Randy Edsall last week the football team was over 90% vaccinated and he made no mention to unvaccinated players from being held out from camp. I'd take that to mean it isn't mandatory. Yet.

I fully expect Pfizer to be FDA approved in September.
It was mandatory for all UConn students so I'd imagine that applies to all the football players too. I did see the 90% comment from Randy though, so not sure if a few players/staff had exemptions or what

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I cant follow your point. Today, by your definition all kinds of institutions are “forcing” you to do things to enjoy “ordinary benefits”

For example, you have to wear shirt/shoes to go into most stores; you have to have vaccines to attend school; you have to show ID to cash a check; you can’t yell fire in a movie theater. I could go on for ever.

Wearing a shirt or shoes is the same as proving you injected yourself with a drug? What if they required mandatory heroin injections? By the way you can yell fire in a movie theater.

I got the vaccine because I consider myself at risk, and weighing the risks thought it was the best option. If I was fit and 22 I'd probably decide otherwise. It's nobody else's business what you choose. The Vaccine primarily protects you not others. We know that now.

Reaction Score
Wearing a shirt or shoes is the same as proving you injected yourself with a drug? What if they required mandatory heroin injections? By the way you can yell fire in a movie theater.

I got the vaccine because I consider myself at risk, and weighing the risks thought it was the best option. If I was fit and 22 I'd probably decide otherwise. It's nobody else's business what you choose. The Vaccine primarily protects you not others. We know that now.
Can you provide data that shows the vaccine is dangerous for young people? I’m genuinely curious. People keep saying that but I can’t find any data. I posted a link from the CDC above, but according to that data it’s incredibly rare that there’s an adverse reaction and it’s way more dangerous to actually get Covid, even among young people. I have a young son and plan on vaccinating him as soon as he’s eligible. I would be curious to see where the data is that shows it’s dangerous for young people.

Reaction Score
It was mandatory for all UConn students so I'd imagine that applies to all the football players too. I did see the 90% comment from Randy though, so not sure if a few players/staff had exemptions or what
UConn Covid-19 Immunization Policy Statement, Requirements, Enforcement, Exemptions, etc and Possible Medical Exemption request application:

Non-Medical Exemption - website to submit request with supporting documents:

Aside from some legitimate pre-existing medical considerations, or perhaps religious considerations, not much apparent wriggle room for most UConn students.

Reaction Score
They shouldn't force anyone who is young to get it with the stats that the CDC has put out for those under 30 and especially under 18

It is all a personal decision and still not FDA approved.
Leave it to the village idiot

Reaction Score

Mandatory heroin injections, really? You lost all credibility there.

You don't want to get vaccinated, your choice. I support your decision and dont care what the reason is. But with all choices/actions there are consiquences. And if people, business, organizations dont want you around them, or want you to wear a mask if you are, you should also respect that.

Reaction Score
You’re in luck… there is a restaurant in LA that caters to unvaccinated… maybe that will catch on.
Aside from one Los Angeles restaurant potentially catering to SARS-2 vaccine opponents, more than a few restaurant owners in the Bayou and across the Pelican State appear to cater to anti-vaxxers. When the FDA fully approves Pfizer's vaccine within a few weeks, it will undermine one excuse.

Reaction Score
If you can’t enjoy the ordinary benefits and entitlements of life, you are being forced. Perhaps coerced is the better word. I wouldn’t patronize any business with such a requirement. Not just now. Not ever again.
it's a private business, they can do as they like.

Reaction Score
Aside from some legitimate pre-existing medical considerations, or perhaps religious considerations, not much apparent wriggle room for most UConn students.
Just as a point of reference - there appears to be sizable wiggle…

-> As of July 23, Eleanor Daugherty, UConn’s dean of students and vice president of student affairs, had granted 504 of the 771 requests for non-medical exemptions. The others remained pending. Meanwhile, 55 students had requested medical exemptions. <-

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
yikes what a struggle with logic you’re having here

I was highlining the ridiculous leap of logic that mandating a vaccine to enter a public accommodation was comparable to requiring shoes and a shirt. That's an absurd comparison.
it's a private business, they can do as they like.

Arguably yes, depending on Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and state public accommodation laws. A public accommodation business can't just do whatever it wants. That said, all I said was fine, they'd lose my business forever.

Reaction Score
And the reason it is not FDA approved is they need more longitudinal studies out there. That is a red-herring anti-vax sentiment. So if FDA approves it, the anti-vaxxers will say they were told to do it and won't believe the approval.

Emergency Approval is needed for a dire situation.

Reaction Score
I was highlining the ridiculous leap of logic that mandating a vaccine to enter a public accommodation was comparable to requiring shoes and a shirt. That's an absurd comparison.

Arguably yes, depending on Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and state public accommodation laws. A public accommodation business can't just do whatever it wants. That said, all I said was fine, they'd lose my business forever.
Pretty sure lack of vaccination is not a protected class - nor will it be.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
That said, all I said was fine, they'd lose my business forever.
Choosing to permanently boycott a business that is doing what it thinks is best for the owners, employees and patrons during this unprecedented time seems unnecessarily harsh. I don't believe you are, but to an outsider you appear to be taking it personally.

The Vaccine primarily protects you not others. We know that now.
From the CDC. Benefits of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine | CDC
COVID-19 vaccines are effective
COVID 19-vaccines are effective. They can keep you from getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Learn more about the different COVID-19 vaccines.
COVID-19 vaccines also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.
Getting vaccinated yourself may also protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

I agree that it primarily protects the individual, but per the CDC it does help in preventing the spread. If folks choose not to get it to protect themselves and others, which is their choice, then they must know that there are repercussions to their inaction. The unfortunate part that I'm seeing is when mandates were lifted and the unvaccinated were asked to still wear their masks, they mostly did not listen. It's a selfish move and I think is the primary reason for the upticks everywhere. I'm fully vaccinated, but given the upticks and my distrust of the unvaccinated to wear their masks, I've taken to wearing my mask again when I'm indoors at places like Stop & Shop. If it's a quick in and out I don't wear it (post office, gast station, etc.).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pretty sure lack of vaccination is not a protected class - nor will it be.

Religion is, for those who aren't vaxxed for that reason. Also, some cannot get the vaccine due to age or medical risks. I think federal law may have something to say about making reasonable accommodations for them. Then there are disparate impact concerns as well. In any event, it's a complicated issue and position for a business to take.

Separate question. Every other western country that has vaccine requirements always combines "vaccinated or had Covid previously" to include natural immunity. The USA is alone in not doing that. Natural immunity is increasingly looking superior in studies, especially with the variants.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Choosing to permanently boycott a business that is doing what it thinks is best for the owners, employees and patrons during this unprecedented time seems unnecessarily harsh. I don't believe you are, but to an outsider you appear to be taking it personally.

COVID 19-vaccines are effective. They can keep you from getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Learn more about the different COVID-19 vaccines.
COVID-19 vaccines also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.
Getting vaccinated yourself may also protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

I agree that it primarily protects the individual, but per the CDC it does help in preventing the spread. If folks choose not to get it to protect themselves and others, which is their choice, then they must know that there are repercussions to their inaction. The unfortunate part that I'm seeing is when mandates were lifted and the unvaccinated were asked to still wear their masks, they mostly did not listen. It's a selfish move and I think is the primary reason for the upticks everywhere. I'm fully vaccinated, but given the upticks and my distrust of the unvaccinated to wear their masks, I've taken to wearing my mask again when I'm indoors at places like Stop & Shop. If it's a quick in and out I don't wear it (post office, gast station, etc.).

I wouldn't do it over mask mandates (although I might avoid it while such mandate was in place). I would over a vaccine mandate (even though I am fully vaccinated). People are treating the unvaccinated like lepers, and studies show they aren't who people think they are. It's a very diverse group with different reasons, including unavailability or other medical complications that increase risk. Others have natural immunity, so no reason to get the vaccine. Who Are the Unvaccinated in America? There’s No One Answer. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Spread isn't up because the unvaccinated aren't wearing masks. It's because of Delta and waning effectiveness of the vaccines in reducing contraction and spread (while effectively reducing serious illness). The data from Israel and the UK shows that.

I encourage people to get the vaccine. I'm not anti-vaccine. But I think it's a personal choice we shouldn't be substituting our views for others. It's possible to make an informed, intelligent decision not to get the vaccine.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't do it over mask mandates (although I might avoid it while such mandate was in place). I would over a vaccine mandate (even though I am fully vaccinated). People are treating the unvaccinated like lepers, and studies show they aren't who people think they are. It's a very diverse group with different reasons, including unavailability or other medical complications that increase risk. Others have natural immunity, so no reason to get the vaccine. Who Are the Unvaccinated in America? There’s No One Answer. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Spread isn't up because the unvaccinated aren't wearing masks. It's because of Delta and waning effectiveness of the vaccines in reducing contraction and spread (while effectively reducing serious illness). The data from Israel and the UK shows that.

I encourage people to get the vaccine. I'm not anti-vaccine. But I think it's a personal choice we shouldn't be substituting our views for others. It's possible to make an informed, intelligent decision not to get the vaccine.
It’s also an informed intelligent decision to say I don’t want unvaccinated people in my establishment. Do you agree?

Reaction Score
So there is a restaurant in Rifle Co-called Shooter's Grill-owned by Lauren Bobert-(nuff said)where they encourage you to wear guns. She is a big anti vaxer. Real popular with that crowd.

Reaction Score
And a gross misinterpretation on your part. Your analogy is a massive fail.

Reaction Score

I'm struggling to find, outside of a medical condition, what evidence or reasoning could possibly lead to an "informed, intelligent decision not to get the vaccine". Maybe a longstanding, genuinely held religious belief? Can you think of anything else?

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

While not scared or worried, the big dilemma with Delta is fully vaccinated people are now believed to be able to carry and spread the 'rona. That's a big game changer.

Good news is fully vax'd people who catch Delta still tend to avoid hospitalization and death. They may be symptomatic and stuff but they can recover at home.

I am at the point where every adult has been able to get a shot and those without the shot are suffering the worst. Live and let die.

Go ahead and live life. If you are vaxx'd, regardless of who you hangout with, you may get 'rona. But you will recover quick enough.

Those who are immunocompromised still have to be more cautious, but hat was true before corona and will be afterwards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom