COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Reaction Score
We've been back and forth, but finally decided that our kid gets her shot when she turns 12 in July.
My kids are 7 and 9 at the start of the school year in the fall. Testing started in March for their age group and it’s looking like early 2022 for the under 12’s to get vaccinated. By that time, we’ll have 6 months of data for the 12-15yr group on top of studies so I’ll feel pretty good about vaccinating them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somewhat of a tangent but was reading some stuff about a norovirus breakout around a mom and pop donut shop in Ellington a few weeks ago around Mother's Day weekend. Not sure if it was an employee or customer who brought the virus in to the store.

Says how the norovirus is highly contagious just by passing on a few droplets or how it can survive on surfaces like a door knobs, cash, food or other exposed surfaces. Bunch of folks got the stomach rot and stuff for a day up to a week.

Reaction Score
This was my first somewhat normal week back at work since March 2020. I had multiple non-emergency client visits (to one office that immediately listened to the CDC and ditched masks for vaccinated people) for the first time since the pandemic started. I woke up at 4 AM this morning with a horrible sore throat and headache. I'm tired, but I also slept horribly from 4 AM on. Who knows what I got or where I got it, but I picked up something. I'll get a COVID test out of consideration to others since I have several business appointments next week. Fun times.

Reaction Score
This was my first somewhat normal week back at work since March 2020. I had multiple non-emergency client visits (to one office that immediately listened to the CDC and ditched masks for vaccinated people) for the first time since the pandemic started. I woke up at 4 AM this morning with a horrible sore throat and headache. I'm tired, but I also slept horribly from 4 AM on. Who knows what I got or where I got it, but I picked up something. I'll get a COVID test out of consideration to others since I have several business appointments next week. Fun times.
I wish you well.

Reaction Score
Question for people who had the second mRNA shot and who became ill. How long did that take to affect you? I get my shot around 9:20 tomorrow and have to drive somewhere (for a Covid test of all things) at 1:30. I'm hoping I'm not feverish and out of it.

Had Pfizer...they both hurt going in, I think someone said it felt a little like injecting battery acid. No after effects from either. It was weird that the second one was sore a little longer and I got a bruise at the injection site that actually seemed to grow for a couple days before fading away.

Reaction Score
I had my second Pfizer on 4/27 with no side effects.
I wonder if going maskless in addition to perhaps immune systems being weaker due to less exposure the past year to all kinds of things - could spike certain illnesses?

Reaction Score
I had my second Pfizer on 4/27 with no side effects.
I wonder if going maskless in addition to perhaps immune systems being weaker due to less exposure the past year to all kinds of things - could spike certain illnesses?

That seems a reasonable outcome...also possible fodder for "Foarce de Masque II" :rolleyes:

CL82

Unfinished Business
Reaction Score
FWIW, Jersey just made the vaccine available to 12-15 year olds.

Reaction Score
That seems a reasonable outcome...also possible fodder for "Foarce de Masque II" :rolleyes:
I think you have a point there.

Maybe this is just coincidental, but on Monday, I went to my sister's house, maskless and visited her and her husband for about 4 hours inside her house.

Then, starting Wednesday, I got a stomach bug, diarrhea and all that stuff. During the whole pandemic from March 2020 until a few days ago, except having seen her and her husband a week ago, I had a good stretch of good health. I never went into anybody else's house maskless and even service providers wore masks when entering my house.

Coincidence or a result of going maskless?

I have read that wearing a mask can protect against a lot of illnesses. I am not advocating for it, only relating my experience.

Reaction Score
I have read that wearing a mask can protect against a lot of illnesses. I am not advocating for it, only relating my experience.

It protects against the transmission of airborne/viral illnesses. Asians have been wearing it even before covid and I sure in hell want my surgeon wearing one when I'm under the knife!

Reaction Score
It protects against the transmission of airborne/viral illnesses. Asians have been wearing it even before covid and I sure in hell want my surgeon wearing one when I'm under the knife!

How 'bout you? You wearin' one when you're under the knife?

Reaction Score
I think you have a point there.

Maybe this is just coincidental, but on Monday, I went to my sister's house, maskless and visited her and her husband for about 4 hours inside her house.

Then, starting Wednesday, I got a stomach bug, diarrhea and all that stuff. During the whole pandemic from March 2020 until a few days ago, except having seen her and her husband a week ago, I had a good stretch of good health. I never went into anybody else's house maskless and even service providers wore masks when entering my house.

Coincidence or a result of going maskless?

Or...a degradation of your immune system?

Reaction Score
So you don't want your surgeon wearing one?
If he thinks he should, great. But, really, if he should wear one, why not me? (I had both knees replaced and didn't wear a mask...and if given the option, would have taken a hard pass. And, if the doc said, I'm not wearing one if you're not, I'd've said, looks like we're maskless today, carry on)

Reaction Score
If he thinks he should, great. But, really, if he should wear one, why not me? (I had both knees replaced and didn't wear a mask...and if given the option, would have taken a hard pass. And, if the doc said, I'm not wearing one if you're not, I'd've said, looks like we're maskless today, carry on)

Each unto their own. However, you do know that most if not all surgeons are required to wear one right? Because you know - science? The same science that made your knee replacement possible also advocates surgeons wearing a mask during surgery. But whatever, thanks for crashing the vaccine thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Your surgeon wears it to protect you from bacterial infections, not viral. They don't do a great job of that either. Studies showed no real difference in post-op infections, masked or not. Bacteria are much, much larger than viruses in any event. But you know...science.

Reaction Score
Your surgeon wears it to protect you from bacterial infections, not viral. They don't do a great job of that either. Studies showed no real difference in post-op infections, masked or not. Bacteria are much, much larger than viruses in any event. But you know...science.

Both bacterial and viral - especially for surgeons during the pandemic. You don't have to cover your face when you cough when people are around though, right? You know - science? And it's common sense and disgusting not to.

87Xfer

'cause...it's coming
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. Day two of Moderna and I got up at 5:54 to smoke a pork butt and some ribs. Feel fine. Love me new Smoke device from ThermoWorks.

View attachment 66934

Edit: I’m still fine with just arm soreness. But my wife feels crappy now on day too and is running a fever.
I'm about to try a 3lb boneless boston butt on my pellet smoker for the first time, using the same ThermoWorks unit. I'm thinking 225 degrees for roughly 2 hrs per pound. Do you (or anyone else) have any tips? Do you do yours directly on the smoker until it reaches 145-155 or some other target temp, then wrap in foil until 190 or so? Or do you cook unwrapped the whole time?

Thanks!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm about to try a 3lb boneless boston butt on my pellet smoker for the first time, using the same ThermoWorks unit. I'm thinking 225 degrees for roughly 2 hrs per pound. Do you (or anyone else) have any tips? Do you do yours directly on the smoker until it reaches 145-155 or some other target temp, then wrap in foil until 190 or so? Or do you cook unwrapped the whole time?

Thanks!

Whether you use the crutch (foil or butcher paper) really depends on how much bark you want, and how patient you are. I’d consider going slightly higher than 225 with a butt, maybe 235-240. It is just going to be pulled pork after all. I’d foil it at 165 up to 200. But I wouldn’t pull it until it is 200 everywhere. 190 isn’t going to break down everything. After several hours you’ve got the smoke in the meat and you could theoretically put it in a crock pot. Obviously not if you are doing a brisket or something else.

87Xfer

'cause...it's coming
Reaction Score
Whether you use the crutch (foil or butcher paper) really depends on how much bark you want, and how patient you are. I’d consider going slightly higher than 225 with a butt, maybe 235-240. It is just going to be pulled pork after all. I’d foil it at 165 up to 200. But I wouldn’t pull it until it is 200 everywhere. 190 isn’t going to break down everything. After several hours you’ve got the smoke in the meat and you could theoretically put it in a crock pot. Obviously not if you are doing a brisket or something else.
Really helpful, thanks!

pub
Top Bottom