COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 6 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can you also post the articles from yesterday about people who won the lottery?
The moderator edited my post which changed the intent.

My intent of posting that article was to show what an idiot that woman was. She went to someone's house for 90 minutes without wearing a mask, hugged 10 people who came from various states, and then she was surprised that she got covid.

'There was probably at least 10 family members there,' Rosen said. 'I hung out for about an hour and a half without wearing a mask. I hugged each one.'

'I was shocked,' Rosen said, of getting the vaccination and still getting COVID.

Can't do that stuff even after getting the vaccine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My intent of posting that article was to show what an idiot that woman was. She went to someone's house for 90 minutes without wearing a mask, hugged 10 people who came from various states, and then she was surprised that she got covid.

'There was probably at least 10 family members there,' Rosen said. 'I hung out for about an hour and a half without wearing a mask. I hugged each one.'

'I was shocked,' Rosen said, of getting the vaccination and still getting COVID.

Interesting. I wonder how long after vaccination this was. I think it's two weeks for full effectiveness.

As for doing those things, well we certainly need to get to a point where we can do those things again, or there is no point to all of this. Eventually we should see community spread so low that we can be normal again. High Schools should have dances again. Wakes like she attended, and so much more.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, considering the updated information, some of which is shared in this thread, says the vaccines severely reduce your chance of contracting the virus, the severity of it if you do catch and prevents transmission, I don't fault her behavior.

She was just one of the unfortunate few who caught it after vaccination.

Reaction Score

The best explanation I heard about why you still need to be careful about COVID after the vaccine is simple statistices. Even if the vaccination is 95% effective, that still means you have a 5% chance of getting COVID. You'd take those odds every day if it was for a lottery.

I don't want to turn this thread in a way that will get it locked. I'll just say that I plan on keeping some pandemic changes. I've loved not getting sick. I wasn't a germophobe, but I never liked shaking hands with some random person at a conference, for example. I'm happy to get rid of that practice. I'd also be fine wearing a mask on public transportation (including planes), but clearly most people won't do that and you only protect yourself so much.

Reaction Score
90% efficacy for preventing symptomatic infection is not 100% so I don't understand why this would be in the news.
Yeah, especially given the LI lady and others testing + after vaccines could have been exposed to SARS-2 before inoculation(s) and/or before their 1 or 2 vaccines' affect produced the maximum effect.

Reaction Score
First shot(Pfizer) today for me and the wife. So far so good. Wife feels fine. I feel a little cruddy but nothing that significant.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My supervisor sent out a group text to a few of us today stating he got some laminating paper we can use for our COVID vaccine cards.

I appreciated the gesture but was unaware of a choke point in the laminating paper supply.

I am currently working him over to make sure he got TSA/CDC approved laminating paper vice the run of the mill Office Depot stuff. I explained that some lower quality laminate will reflect light back when they try to scan bar codes and we need to get the stuff that passes the scanner gun light through the laminate to read the bar code. I think I got him on this one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My supervisor sent out a group text to a few of us today stating he got some laminating paper we can use for our COVID vaccine cards.

I appreciated the gesture but was unaware of a choke point in the laminating paper supply.

I am currently working him over to make sure he got TSA/CDC approved laminating paper vice the run of the mill Office Depot stuff. I explained that some lower quality
laminate will reflect light back when they try to scan bar codes and we need to get the stuff that passes the scanner gun light through the laminate to read the bar code. I think I got him on this one.
I hope you enjoy your extended stay in AK!
stop it no more GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hope you enjoy your extended stay in AK!
stop it no more GIF

It was fun.ast week dragged. Currently in Atlanta with one more flight to get home.
Alaska can be rough getting out of for flights.

Had a 1:30am Alaska time departure. Got in to Seattle at 6am Pacific Time. Flew Seattle to Atlanta. And my last flight takes me from Eastern to Central time.

My coworker booked travel later and is just leaving Alaska now (About 3:30pm Alaska Time). He has same route except he red eyes from Seattle to Atlanta and gets in to ATL at 6am tomorrow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The best explanation I heard about why you still need to be careful about COVID after the vaccine is simple statistices. Even if the vaccination is 95% effective, that still means you have a 5% chance of getting COVID. You'd take those odds every day if it was for a lottery.

I don't want to turn this thread in a way that will get it locked. I'll just say that I plan on keeping some pandemic changes. I've loved not getting sick. I wasn't a germophobe, but I never liked shaking hands with some random person at a conference, for example. I'm happy to get rid of that practice. I'd also be fine wearing a mask on public transportation (including planes), but clearly most people won't do that and you only protect yourself so much.

We will all need to make those choices for ourselves. But as I understood from the article. She was at a wake. Someone died. She hugged friends or relatives sharing that grief. And in the end she’s fine. That’s the kind of personal interaction I hope we never surrender.

The one risky think I did early in the pandemic was attend a funeral. A friend and co-worker lost his teenage daughter. Some things are just too important.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I love the masks.

I pretend not to recognize people - at the grocery store, I can look right through someone who has been my neighbor for decades.

It’s removed small talk from my life.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I love the masks.

I pretend not to recognize people - at the grocery store, I can look right through someone who has been my neighbor for decades.

It’s removed small talk from my life.

'Start to cough if someone thinks they recognize you and walk your way.

Reaction Score
Got my first Pfizer dose yesterday here in New York, after they opened eligibility to 30+, and was fortunate enough to be sitting at a computer all day to find better appointments (started May 31, then April 20, then I found April 1). The system is ridiculous.

The vaccination site, in a small arena in the suburbs of a medium-sized city, was very well run. The layout was kind of a maze, but there were lots of people directing you through the different steps.

Arm started feeling sore about 4-5 hours afterward, still pretty sore this morning. Otherwise no problems.

In terms of vaccinated people wearing masks and/or getting sick:
  • Yeah, you're going to see an isolated case here and there of a vaccinated person getting infected (but not seriously ill). But the new data that just came in this week suggests that vaccinated people don't generally transmit the virus and so we shouldn't be worried about that en masse
  • When I'm fully vaccinated, I absolutely will follow mask mandates in public. There's no way to police who's vaccinated and who isn't, and wearing a mask is so little inconvenience that there's no reason not to do it. Mandates should come down only when ~50-70% of people are fully vaccinated.
  • At the same time, I don't think it's necessary to continue wearing a mask at private gatherings (where I can tell the other people that I'm vaccinated and it's not a problem)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think a lot of that has to do with what they decide to target in the yearly flu vaccine.

But that will be the same dilemma moving forward if there becomes a Covid booster

Nine months ago no one was producing a vaccine targeting a Soth American or Brazilian strain.

It's a crap shoot between guessing and scientific models predicting. And for the foreseeable future there will be years with higher hospitalizations and deaths and years with fewer. This is life with a virus.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think a lot of that has to do with what they decide to target in the yearly flu vaccine.

Yep. It’s kind of a guessing game, albeit with smart people doing the guessing.

I read that the process of targeting next year’s flu will be difficult because there were so few cases this year, probably because the Covid mitigation we’ve all done is incredibly effective on the much less infectious flu. (Normal year - one in five flu tests comes back positive. This year, one in 625 came back positive.)

Reaction Score

It is for a lottery. You just have to recognize what the prize might be.
Also a bunch of people on my mom's side of the family just got COVID19. Little child too. And mom got the cheapo test and was told to return to her classroom with family members sick. Then the real test came back positive. Most of them are anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers. My mom's not too happy with her sister. They're both over 80 and she visits her every week. But obviously there's a global conspiracy going on and all that.

Meanwhile the adults on this side of the family that have all been vaccinated are getting together for Easter (I'm working). Have no idea what the others will be doing but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting my first dose of Pfizer Monday! By mid-May I’ll have had 2+ weeks after my second dose. Can’t wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom