COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 27 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just as a point of reference - there appears to be sizable wiggle… -> As of July 23, Eleanor Daugherty, UConn’s dean of students and vice president of student affairs, had granted 504 of the 771 requests for non-medical exemptions. The others remained pending. Meanwhile, 55 students had requested medical exemptions. <-
Different interpretation. Quantitively, 97% of UConn students are vaccinated (26K+ of 27K total student population). More surprising IMHO, the very low # of medical exemptions (55) vs markedly higher # of reported non-medical exemptions (771). Minimal wiggle room IMHO, yet some of the latter may be religious objections, e.g., Christian Science. Others, possibly general anti-vaxxers for whatever reasons (not just SARS-2). Wonder what some of the rejected 267 purported non-medical exemption requesters concocted?

Reaction Score
I'm struggling to find, outside of a medical condition, what evidence or reasoning could possibly lead to an "informed, intelligent decision not to get the vaccine". Maybe a longstanding, genuinely held religious belief? Can you think of anything else?
I keep politely asking people both here and across the internet to provide data that shows the vaccines are dangerous (not just the extraordinarily rare outlier). I am always ignored when I ask. Seemingly there is no reason to not get the vaccine, and the “vaccines are dangerous” crowd is just making it up.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
@Chin Diesel A fully vaccinated friend of my wife's recently got the 'vid and lost her sense of taste. In the grand scheme of things no big deal, but I'd rather not deal with Covid even in a mild form as the long term impacts just aren't known. I do agree with the live and let die, but given how easily it transmits, their "rights and freedoms" intersect in public with my desire to never know what Covid feels like. Thankfully the group I hang out with/golf buddies all had the sense to get the vax.
It's Darwin's (or more correctly Herbert Spencer's) Survival of the Fittest that we're seeing in action. My job is to avoid the Covidiots of the world.

Reaction Score
I am at the point where every adult has been able to get a shot and those without the shot are suffering the worst. Live and let die.
Exactly…going back to lockdown to protect the unvaxxed from themselves isn’t happening

I finally found something I agree with NYCs mayor. U want to go to a bar or movie..get the vaccine.

Reaction Score
Here is a fact-to provide a real perspective-96 % of physicians are vaccinated-that should tell us plenty-clearly they have more knowledge about medicine and vaccines than we do-let that sink in.

Reaction Score
I am at the point where every adult has been able to get a shot and those without the shot are suffering the worst. Live and let die.
I really wish I could share this viewpoint. Natural selection at is finest. However, there a re a few major holes. Kids can't get vaccinated yet. Anti-vaxxers won't mask either. If we don't get this pandemic under control as a herd, a more threatening variant will emerge.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's amazing we were able to get rid of polio. Different times I guess.

It's amazing that people think this vaccine is like the Polio vaccine or that this virus is like the polio virus (or measles or smallpox). I encourage people to get vaccinated. I did. My family did. But people misunderstand what that means.

Reaction Score
I am seeing a scary display of the power of this virus right next door. My neighbors are in their mid thirties. He is a financial planner, she is an engineer. They are smart, pleasant people. She got covid 3 months ago and is now in a wheel chair with issues breathing and chronic pain. He avoided infection when she had it by having her quarantine to one side of the house. She stayed in the master suite alone for over a week.

He went on a business trip to meet an out of town client about two weeks ago. He got sick and tested positive so he stayed in a hotel. He got too sick to cope and went to the ER. He is now in intensive care on a ventilator 2000 miles away. They have four little kids and they have a visiting nurse at their house all day. Again, they are in their 30's and very active.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have four little kids and they have a visiting nurse at their house all day.
Its sad that their poor decisions may significantly affect their innocent children. I just don't get it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
For you old beezin's out there, keep an eye out for info coming out of this test/experiment.

In West Virginia anyone over age 60 who has been fully vaccinated for at least 6 months can get their blood drawn for free to see where their antibody count is at. Should be one of the larger sampling sizes seeing how long the vaccinations provide robust protection or start to wane over time.

WV offers first statewide antibody testing for fully vaccinated (nypost.com)

I'm thinking about doing this.

Reaction Score
If you can’t enjoy the ordinary benefits and entitlements of life, you are being forced. Perhaps coerced is the better word. I wouldn’t patronize any business with such a requirement. Not just now. Not ever again.
You mean kind of how we all are because irresponsible, selfish and ENTITLED people are keeping the pandemic going? I got ya.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Interesting. I would do it. Just to have a baseline number for myself. I wonder what the out of pocket $$$ is for it?

$42.13. Seriously, that's the number I saw.

Edit: $169 thu directlabs.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am seeing a scary display of the power of this virus right next door. My neighbors are in their mid thirties. He is a financial planner, she is an engineer. They are smart, pleasant people. She got covid 3 months ago and is now in a wheel chair with issues breathing and chronic pain. He avoided infection when she had it by having her quarantine to one side of the house. She stayed in the master suite alone for over a week.

He went on a business trip to meet an out of town client about two weeks ago. He got sick and tested positive so he stayed in a hotel. He got too sick to cope and went to the ER. He is now in intensive care on a ventilator 2000 miles away. They have four little kids and they have a visiting nurse at their house all day. Again, they are in their 30's and very active.
@Hoophound you do not indicate if they were vaccinated or not or in the process or you may not know, it appears that they were not. This is a case in point where you have a growing family and you are rolling the dice per say. Now it it will be a struggle for them going forward. Please just get vaccinated and be done with it. Very very sad to hear, just don't get it.

Each category you can bullet either 1 dose or fully vaccinated

Reaction Score
@Hoophound you do not indicate if they were vaccinated or not or in the process or you may not know, it appears that they were not. This is a case in point where you have a growing family and you are rolling the dice per say. Now it it will be a struggle for them going forward. Please just get vaccinated and be done with it. Very very sad to hear, just don't get it.

Each category you can bullet either 1 dose or fully vaccinated
She was not vaccinated when she got sick originally. She appears to be a terrible long hauler. He went and got vaccinated after she got COVID. So he’s been fully vaccinated for 3+months. Scary that he’s so sick.

Reaction Score

#justtheflu
#youngandhealthy
#musthaveunderlyingconditions

You ever get an idea of their rationale for presumably avoiding the vaccine? I swear so many millennials are too smart for their own good (we are pretty anxious as a generation and that surely doesn’t help). My girlfriend’s best friend studied microbiology at ASU but now is basically a software engineer. Just got sick for like a week.

To add an anecdote, I work in a major hospital in a major city and we are seeing the young ones coming a lot more than before. I just had a 30 year old patient who was completely asymptomatic until she had a stroke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was not vaccinated when she got sick originally. She appears to be a terrible long hauler. He went and got vaccinated after she got COVID. So he’s been fully vaccinated for 3+months. Scary that he’s so sick.
Have a friend in Brooklyn who was very sick with the initial outbreak and before any vaccines and he made it through after about 3 months in the hospital ER with no lingering effects so far. Hoping your neighbors make it through for their and family sake.

Reaction Score
I really wish I could share this viewpoint. Natural selection at is finest. However, there a re a few major holes. Kids can't get vaccinated yet. Anti-vaxxers won't mask either. If we don't get this pandemic under control as a herd, a more threatening variant will emerge.
In addition, no one mentions the impact on healthcare professionals that have to treat the unvaccinated. Do we just say live free and let die or do we treat them to attempt to save them. Very ethical question that probably crosses to many lines. The healthcare professionals went through hell last surge why do we have to put them through it again. Get vaccinated

Reaction Score
In addition, no one mentions the impact on healthcare professionals that have to treat the unvaccinated. Do we just say live free and let die or do we treat them to attempt to save them. Very ethical question that probably crosses to many lines. The healthcare professionals went through hell last surge why do we have to put them through it again. Get vaccinated
It’s too late. Delta has passed its event horizon and will take a lap around the country. We in the hospitals are already reserved to that reality, and just hope we get vaccinated enough to avoid the next strain (they’ve already identified a lambda variant that may be vaccine resistant). And that ethical question will never be a serious one.

Reaction Score
I'm Baptist, my church has always been strongly encouraging everyone to go get vaccinated. For the life of me I will never understand the different Christian sects that do not believe in modern medicine. They give us a bad name when we get lumped in with them and their stupidity.

And I would probably guess that a majority of my church is rather conservative too, myself included. Modern science saves lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom