COVID Vaccination | Page 4 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccination

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I live near Boston and my doctor is affiliated with a hospital group and they keep emailing me about if I am eligible for the vaccine and they will probably be the ones that provide the vaccine to me when I am eligible. That is how it worked for my in-laws. The doctor group called them and arranged the appointments for both shots. And, the hospital group can go through the medical records and see if you have comorbidities and are eligible early. The hospital group anticipates by the time I am eligible, they will have the vaccine. BTW, they are giving more vaccines to the hospitals in Mass now, but not as much as before as they realized they made a mistake.

Yes, I keep getting those emails too. But the last one pretty much said "nevermind, it seems we won't get much". This is Partners/Brigham whatever they call it now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk - Curious to hear why the preference for J&J over the moderna, Pfizer ?

It's not an mRNA vaccine. I'm just more comfortable with the technology behind it. The two mRNA vaccines are the first two mRNA treatments ever approved for humans. They may be fine. They may not. For anybody at risk of severe Covid, they make sense. For young people, nope. I'm in between, but since the J&J is approved and I'm not eligible anyway, I will wait for it.
How the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine Works - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Reaction Score
Went on the Walgreens website at 0630 today. Said there were 15 appointments available locally. I had to click on several time slots until finally getting approved for a shot tomorrow and on 3/31 for the second dose. Also given a lengthy verification number.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UPDATE: I was able to get an appointment for Friday at CVS. I guess the best advice it to just keep trying
It's like buying hot concert tickets, almost.

Reaction Score
Side effects means it's working!
Yes. Especially Moderna.

First Moderna shot:
  • day of: new symptoms aside from being sore
  • day after: Didn't sleep much after 3 AM, feeling like a bad hangover, arm even more sore
  • 2nd day after: fever spiking at 100.4, flu-like symptoms
  • 3rd day after: starting to feel normal, the best feeling "side effect day" of the time
  • 4th day after: 100%
Second Moderna shot:
  • day of: just slight arm pain, much less than before
  • day after: was up at 3 AM again, almost no arm pain, less aches and headache but a higher fever (101). More lucid than the first dose too. Started to feel more like myself after 8 PM.
  • 2nd day after: feeling pretty normal, no fever, just a little cloudy and slightly achy. Going for a walk was tough, but just finished my normal Sunday workout.
  • Swollen lymph nodes, should are expected to go away in a week or so.
My wife got both Pfizer shots and had no side effects at all aside from arm pain.

Reaction Score
Some people may have had Covid without knowing it, which makes the side effects all that much worse. If they already have antibodies then the introduction of similar proteins may trigger an immediate reaction. At least this is what I read may be happening in some of the reactions.

Reaction Score
Some people may have had Covid without knowing it, which makes the side effects all that much worse. If they already have antibodies then the introduction of similar proteins may trigger an immediate reaction. At least this is what I read may be happening in some of the reactions.
Yep. That's what all three doctors/nurses during the 2nd dose center told me. All very surprised of my first dose symptoms despite never testing positive for covid.

Here's my week prior to the March lockdown 2020:

Saturday 2/29: Attended a math competition at Fairfield U where my school was participating. ~1000 people in attendance.
Monday 3/2-Thursday 3/5: Regular work at school
Friday 3/6: Spent the day observing a high school in Stamford
Saturday 3/7: A school benefit in Stamford. Drinks, dancing, etc. ~500 people in attendance.
Monday-Thursday 3/9-3/12: Regular work at school
Friday 3/13: Spring break started early, only teachers in school planning for "two weeks of quarantine".
Saturday 3/14: Start of quarantine in earnest.

Lots of mingling and potential for unintended exposure. The following week had much lower cardio stamina (huffling while walking, more time in between sets when exercising) but could have also just been covid anxiety (which was definitely real). Took an antibody test in August that was negative.

Nothing is certain, but a good chance of exposure based on my vaccine reactions, something like the 80%ish range. C'et la vie.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My wife got both Pfizer shots and had no side effects at all aside from arm pain.
Same here (minimal arm pain), but I have coworkers who had side effects with both moderna and pfizer on the second shot.

Reaction Score
I recently tried to sign my parents up thru VAMS and the earliest I found was early April, but I called 877-918-2224 and left my number and they called me back a day later and I was able to book them an appointment for March 4th

Reaction Score
We live in Florida, Polk county. State started vaccinations in early January with 65 and older.

Counties are organizing/ sponsoring vaccine PODs throughout the state. Publix supermarkets, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and others have vaccine PODS all over the state. 55+ communities like The Villages are also PODS. As of two or three days ago, Florida has vaccinated over 4 million residents. Doctors are now administering the vaccines in their offices for those who are elligible.

We got our first shot, Moderna, on January 18th. Our church sponsored the event. Second shot was on February 15th. In and out both times in under 30 minutes. Stayed in the car. Reactions were minor. Sore arm for about 24 hours.

We live in a 55+ community, Solivita. We sponsored a POD. National Guard came in and set up the traffic patterns and the vaccine stations. the community's CERT program (Community Emergency Response Team sponsored by Polk County Fire & Rescue) handle traffic flow. Our retired nurses group assisted with paper work. And our CAP program (Citizen Action Patrol sponsored by Polk County Sheriffs) also assisted. Over 2700 residents were vaccinated over two weekends. We are awaiting the next level and ready to sponsor another POD.

Has the system been perfect? No. Many counties got off to a good start but demand caused frustrations. Some counties, like Polk, were very slow to respond but eventually got it going.

By the time we started calling to get an appointment in either Orange county (Orlando area) or Osceola county (Kissimmee area), the church came through. Its in Osceola. Many of our friends called for an appointment and received their first shot within 2 weeks of the call.
Love to hear this @huskeynut hopefully CT follows their lead starts putting vaccination sites in supermarkets and more pharmacy like Florida. It seems like it'd speed things up tremendously!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Love to hear this @huskeynut hopefully CT follows their lead starts putting vaccination sites in supermarkets and more pharmacy like Florida. It seems like it'd speed things up tremendously!
Other states are following CT's lead. We're the best!

Reaction Score
My school had its clinic today for the first dose.

Had Covid in early January so not looking forward to the potential side effects. So far just arm soreness.

Reaction Score
I was able to get an appointment on January 25 , to a Drive-up clinic at Chandler -Gilbert Community College.This was run by Maricopa County. I received the, the Pfizer Vaccine It was well staffed with Miltary, Firemen, and Nurses from the Dignity Health Care system. That was well organized . Since I received the Pfizer there was only a min 21 day waiting period between shots.
They actually emailed me an invitation for my second which I allowed me to schedule and receive my booster on 2/16. Apparently I‘m now free to move about the cabin
The county wasn’t taking appointments for group 1c 65+ so my wife registered for the State run clinic at Cardinal Stadium running 24/7. People were getting early AM appointments to avoid traffic . The City of Phoenix separates the East and West Valley.traffic could be problematic.
Since we are pretty far East in the County , Glendale is over an hour away by interstate and commuter bypass Highways.
Needless to say she was not trilled with the drive.
The week before her appointment she lucked out and got an appointment at the
Walgreens 4 miles from our lhouse. They gave her a second appointmentp at the same time. I was impress
She got the Moderna vaccine which has a 28 day waiting period.
Hopefully we can get to Ct this year.
Arizona like Florida has an abundance of out of state visitors this time of year and some of my neighbors were complaining about the over abundance of out of state plates at the clinic. They pay taxes and the federal government paid billions for the vaccines so I personally didn’t see a problem.
Rumors were Canadians could sign up but that never was confirmed. We usually have 250,000 of them every winter.

Reaction Score
Keep checking, meaning be relentless. My wife checks and if an earlier one comes up she books it and cancels the other. Just got my Pfizer #1 today because of an underlyimg health condition. This is in NY

Reaction Score
In New Hampshire Scheduled appointment through Vams 3 weeks ago for 4/9 earliest date. Got a text and email today offering a change to this Saturday for JNJ vaccine. Impressed with the unexpected outreach amongst the chaos. Like @husky429 I couldn't find any way to seek an earlier appointment on Vams without canceling the scheduled appointment first, so I was resigned to waiting a month before the offer

Reaction Score
It's like buying hot concert tickets, almost.
and hoping for a ticket drop. Of course, this is more important to me. I will remember that when it is my turn to schedule which is hopefully soon.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I am 56 and became eligible to get the vaccine today. The earliest scheduled appointment through the VAMS website is May 5th. You can't log into the Hartford Healthcare website to schedule an appointment (it gives you an error code), and CVS and Walmart and Uconn says there are all booked.

The Walgreen's website shows they have appointments for this week for the first shot, but then says it cannot schedule your second shot so it won't book your first appointment????? None of the phone numbers anywhere work.

Anybody have any luck getting an earlier appointment of any tips or tricks to do it?
Couldn't read every single post, so I'm sorry if this has already been said. If you really want to get it soon, you could try calling Walgreens/CVS every evening about an hour before they close. I've been hearing a lot of stories about them opening a new set of vials and not being able to get through all of them, so rather than throwing them out, they'll give them to whoever can get in before they close.

I'm in my mid-30s, but was fortunate enough to get my first dose on Friday through the military. Second round scheduled for later this month.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
and hoping for a ticket drop. Of course, this is more important to me. I will remember that when it is my turn to schedule which is hopefully soon.
What I read last night is that a "vaccine drop" is coming soon, Connecticut has the infrastructure in place to handle more shots per day they are just waiting on more supply. The first J&J come this week.

Reaction Score
In NYC my wife with pre-existing conditions has an appointment this Wednesday, her parents have the same and have appointments next weekend.
NYC has done a remarkable job with vaccinations. Friends and family all vaccinated with little hassle here.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
NYC has done a remarkable job with vaccinations. Friends and family all vaccinated with little hassle here.
Now Yankee stadium and Jacob Javits center will operate 24/7 administering vaccines since J&J arriving.

Reaction Score
Im in Jersey and completed my two shots. Took about 3 weeks for my appointment when I became eligible. Overall not a terrible experience.

Reaction Score
got my 1st dose today in philly. FEMA stepped up
no problemi, great leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members