2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 33 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our head coach and staff took over a dumpster fire and they've done an amazing job developing players and building this thing back up to the best program in the country.

What is it about Scheyer's one year as head coach that has you so hooked?
Scheyer isn‘t relevant. He’s going to do what K always did. You think he’s going to reinvent Duke’s approach? Duke is Duke. A big reason they do so well is guys are playing and practicing against very talented players. It hasn’t changed.

Hurley and staff did a great job. Last year we ran the most modern NBA style offense I’ve seen in the college game. He emphasizes defensive responsibility. So yeah, I think we will be really successful preparing guys for the NBA. But it’s not going to be persuasive against Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State and some others. UConn will win some of those kids, but not because they think those schools aren’t going to prepare them for the NBA.

Reaction Score
While you raise some valid points, the fact remains that the program Hurley has built has got to be a very attractive option to a recruit like Flagg. Great culture, great coaching, and a legit chance to contend for a National Championship. Duke may very well land Flagg, but in 2023 UConn has become a legit contender for recruits of this caliber. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he came to UConn.

Reaction Score
Scheyer isn‘t relevant. He’s going to do what K always did. You think he’s going to reinvent Duke’s approach? Duke is Duke. A big reason they do so well is guys are playing and practicing against very talented players. It hasn’t changed.

Hurley and staff did a great job. Last year we ran the most modern NBA style offense I’ve seen in the college game. He emphasizes defensive responsibility. So yeah, I think we will be really successful preparing guys for the NBA. But it’s not going to be persuasive against Duke, Kansas, UNC, Michigan State and some others. UConn will win some of those kids, but not because they think those schools aren’t going to prepare them for the NBA.
What? The head coach isn't relevant?

That's not how it works, you don't just plug in any coach to replace a legend and it's all the same. Come on...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What? The head coach isn't relevant?

That's not how it works, you don't just plug in any coach to replace a legend and it's all the same. Come on...
Are they the leader for Flagg? Are they the leader for Boozer kids? He has the #2 class coming in this year, despite Flip coming back. So evidently, they aren’t worried about it. Lively and Whitehead both went first round so Scheyer has as many first rounders as Hurley right now.

We can all hope for an Indiana type result here, but we aren’t going to get it. Davis is doing fine at Carolina too. Flagg is a New England kid and is an ideal fit for our system on both ends, he will have a chance to win a title here and become a legend in New England hoops history, that’s our selling point.

Reaction Score
Are they the leader for Flagg? Are they the leader for Boozer kids? He has the #2 class coming in this year, despite Flip coming back. So evidently, they aren’t worried about it. Lively and Whitehead both went first round so Scheyer has as many first rounders as Hurley right now.

We can all hope for an Indiana type result here, but we aren’t going to get it. Davis is doing fine at Carolina too. Flagg is a New England kid and is an ideal fit for our system on both ends, he will have a chance to win a title here and become a legend in New England hoops history, that’s our selling point.
He's just starting out. Nobody expected their recruiting to fall off. We don't know if he is a good coach and developer of talent. UConn won a national title in Ollie's second season, we all saw how that turned out.

Hubert is a nice guy but he was preseason #1 and he just missed the tournament. He's on the Mike Davis, Kevin Ollie path.

You're nuts in thinking nothing changes when you replace a legendary coach.

Reaction Score
This thread is exhibit A for off-season stir craziness. Sheesh. Ok I admit I’m loving it.
Like I said, I hate August.

Palm Tree Dog GIF by Kloeckner Metals

Reaction Score
It’s not the coach of Duke. It’s the “Brand” of Duke. That we are recruiting against. It is the biggest “ Brand” in the game if we like it or not.

Sure be nice to beat them out for Flagg

Reaction Score
He's just starting out. Nobody expected their recruiting to fall off. We don't know if he is a good coach and developer of talent. UConn won a national title in Ollie's second season, we all saw how that turned out.

Hubert is a nice guy but he was preseason #1 and he just missed the tournament. He's on the Mike Davis, Kevin Ollie path.

Scheyer won 75% of his games and a conference championship in year 1. The coach does matter a great deal, but it appears that in the case of Duke, their successor to Coach K is a very good one. I fully expect Duke to be relevant nationally for years to come. Ollie was a real bad choice. I see no similar situation with Scheyer.

Reaction Score
Scheyer won 75% of his games and a conference championship in year 1. The coach does matter a great deal, but it appears that in the case of Duke, their successor to Coach K is a very good one. I fully expect Duke to be relevant nationally for years to come. Ollie was a real bad choice. I see no similar situation with Scheyer.
Agreed. Scheyer didn’t win a Chip in his first tournament.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Scheyer didn’t win a Chip in his first tournament.
And Ollie ran the UConn program into the ground in 4 to 5 years. There is virtually no chance you see that with Scheyer. If you are being honest, you know that is true.

Reaction Score
It’s not the coach of Duke. It’s the “Brand” of Duke. That we are recruiting against. It is the biggest “ Brand” in the game if we like it or not.

Sure be nice to beat them out for Flagg
Correct. Brands don’t lose their power overnight, even if the product changes. But brands do lose their power over time if the product isn’t what it used to be.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I'm not saying nothing changes. I made the IU comparison for a reason. We all saw what happened at Georgetown as well. I'm saying it isn't going to happen to Duke this cycle. Scheyer is the guy. He had a strong reputation for developing players as an assistant coach and is an incredible recruiter.

But the discussion was about Flagg and development. You aren't going to get Flagg to UConn by negative recruiting against Duke and Scheyer. It's a terrible argument. He's credited with developing lots of Duke's guys as an assistant. He's the guy who found Jason Tatum and got him to Duke and they remain close. Who's camp does Flagg go to?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying nothing changes. I made the IU comparison for a reason. We all saw what happened at Georgetown as well. I'm saying it isn't going to happen to Duke this cycle. Scheyer is the guy. He had a strong reputation for developing players as an assistant coach and is an incredible recruiter.

But the discussion was about Flagg and development. You aren't going to get Flagg to UConn by negative recruiting against Duke and Scheyer. It's a terrible argument. He's credited with developing lots of Duke's guys as an assistant. He's the guy who found Jason Tatum and got him to Duke and they remain close. Who's camp does Flagg go to?
Negative selling is a weak pitch in any event. I've always believed in pitching your strengths and letting conpetitors chase you rather than trying to undercut competitors.

Reaction Score
The ACC was garbage last year, Duke had their lowest scoring NCAA game ever getting their butts kicked in the second round. They're still getting a ton of talent but it's the beginning of his tenure at Duke. We simply don't know what he is as a head coach, he's living off of what coach K built.

They should be great this upcoming season and the ACC is going to stink again, so we'll see.

Reaction Score
Flagg is playing against 16 and 17 year olds. Wembanyama is in a Pro League. Association with UConn shouldn’t cloud the judgement. Flagg is a tremendous prospect, Wemby is a generational prospect.
Clingan played in a public HS league, doesn’t lessen his talent. Harder to scout? Sure, but NBA scouts have a job for a reason.

Flagg is definitely a generational talent as of right now. Of course he’s only what 16 or 17? Still has 2 big development years before he hits the NBA, so a lot could happen in that time, but it’d be serious oversight to automatically declare Wemby > Flagg in a hypothetical draft situation.

With that being said, think how many scouts are thankful Flagg reclassed into 2024, so they don’t have to make a decision between him and Boozer in a draft. Truly going into a golden age of basketball (especially throwing in Dybansta too).

Reaction Score

"Scheyer isn't relevant. He's going to do what K always did." -HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clingan played in a public HS league, doesn’t lessen his talent. Harder to scout? Sure, but NBA scouts have a job for a reason.

Flagg is definitely a generational talent as of right now. Of course he’s only what 16 or 17? Still has 2 big development years before he hits the NBA, so a lot could happen in that time, but it’d be serious oversight to automatically declare Wemby > Flagg in a hypothetical draft situation.

With that being said, think how many scouts are thankful Flagg reclassed into 2024, so they don’t have to make a decision between him and Boozer in a draft. Truly going into a golden age of basketball (especially throwing in Dybansta too).
Flagg is not generational. LeBron was generational, Wemby is generational. Flagg is a great prospect. AD was a better prospect, for example.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"Scheyer isn't relevant. He's going to do what K always did." -HuskyHawk
In the context of recruiting Flagg, he isn't relevant. He might even be a positive given his connection with Tatum.

Reaction Score
Negative selling is a weak pitch in any event. I've always believed in pitching your strengths and letting conpetitors chase you rather than trying to undercut competitors.
I never said anything about negative selling, HuskyHawk is pulling that out of nowhere. UConn should be selling what they've done. Hurley just won a national championship and has all sorts of experience as a head coach. Scheyer has one season of experience as a head coach. We have a major advantage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom