Cooper Flagg Thread V3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg Thread V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I find it hilarious that when this “funny” discourse of how much more influential KU and Duke’s first nights are, he lists us as bringing in a washed up rappers like T-Pain, but suggests KU bringing in Flo Rida as relevant… pretty sure that ship sailed 10+ years ago lol

Color me more concerned Duke and KU need to emphasize their first nights for important recruits, Hurley knows his worth, confident man

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it hilarious that when this “funny” discourse of how much more influential KU and Duke’s first nights are, he lists us as bringing in a washed up rappers like T-Pain, but suggests KU bringing in Flo Rida as relevant… pretty sure that sailed 10+ years ago lol

Color me more concerned Duke and KU need to emphasize their first nights for important recruits, Hurley knows his worth, confident man
Yea I didn't grasp why he was callin T-Pain a washed up rapper yet praising Flo-Rida

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I haven't read much of the previous two threads. I waded in and out of the last one super fast, so forgive me if this has been discussed prior.

Cooper Flagg has already entered larger than life brand status. We can discuss later if he comes here whether that's a good or bad thing for the program.

I think UConn is uniquely advantaged to support someone of that status.

• The Demelio factor
    • We have dedicated funding AND mentorship for someone in the public eye on how to grow their social presence.
  • We have excellent content coverage behind the scenes of the program. I'm sure someone showed Flagg the UConn+ coverage of the title run last year. Imagine what that kind of media could do for Flagg.
  • Paige. I know there are ears ringing as soon as I type this for the "keep the womens game on the womens board" crowd, but we have an on campus example of how we support a mega star / brand in the game which ties to the Demelio Factor above.

I think that's a competitive advantage. I have no idea what kind of equivalents they have at Duke.
I checked and Cooper is over 400k on Instagram. Cameron Boozer, for comparison, despite a famous dad, has under 100k. Dylan Harper, 91k. So yes, it seems Cooper is going to be able to power national level NIL deals. I don't know if UConn has any more to offer than the other two, that might be a stretch. Duke men’s basketball has the largest social media following in all of college sports.

Paige is different, because UConn is far and away the top brand name in the women's game. She was big before she got here. Still shows we can support a superstar social media athlete.

Reaction Score
I know borges had a little disagreement with Hurley a few years back, but I perceive him to do a good job covering the team and not come across as negative
That dude hates his current job and the basketball people he has to work with to do it so much. The positive quote is from his high school coach, if you don’t want to waste time clicking through.

Reaction Score
According to 247 insiders he may stretch it out to the late signing period.

“While Flagg is about to get a trio of official out of the way, there is no expectation that he'll be making any commitment in the near future. For now, all indications are that he will take his time to focus on his senior season, watch the programs he's considering and see if he needs to visit anywhere else before likely waiting until the spring to make his college decision.”

That's going to make it challenging to finish our 2024 recruiting if we're waiting on our #1 target in the spring. It also mean we'd have to quickly pivot to the portal if it doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
Maybe the deal is the source doesn't mind leaking tidbits as long as he's not named?

Someone like Cam or Chris can tell anybody anything. It’s still several steps removed, especially when a player’s family is carefully managing the recruitment process (which isn’t a knock on anybody, they have every right to do that),

Reaction Score
Yeah I knew about the free transfer, but that just feels like a waste. I guess it's possible but until Ace and Cooper show any interest in that it just feels like message board fanfiction

Probably best to start panicking
Panicking is always the next best option.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The days of traditional recruits being life and death in terms of a program's success are so over. Look at Kentucky or Duke last year. Or Alabama or Arkansas. All stocked with top recruits, two of them didn't make it to the second weekend. SDSU, on the other hand, had players that looked like they were close to being old enough to collect social security, and they had a great run.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I checked and Cooper is over 400k on Instagram. Cameron Boozer, for comparison, despite a famous dad, has under 100k. Dylan Harper, 91k. So yes, it seems Cooper is going to be able to power national level NIL deals. I don't know if UConn has any more to offer than the other two, that might be a stretch. Duke men’s basketball has the largest social media following in all of college sports.

Paige is different, because UConn is far and away the top brand name in the women's game. She was big before she got here. Still shows we can support a superstar social media athlete.
Thanks for reference. Definitely not aware of that context.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's going to make it challenging to finish our 2024 recruiting if we're waiting on our #1 target in the spring. It also mean we'd have to quickly pivot to the portal if it doesn't work out.
It doesn’t seem like it’ll be a big class and we should always have room for the #1 recruit.

I like Abraham’s game but it’s not like we have to promise him a big role his first year like Duke probably will have to do with their recruits.

It seems like we for sure have an advantage when it comes to roster fit.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Very cool idea to honor both families. This is the type of Hurley x UConn culture that can win an entire family over in a recruiting battle.

This kind of stuff really is priceless. I’m sure Clingan talked to Flagg about their families connection, and how special it would be to potentially play together/for the same school. I’m sure that’s kinda thing that spoke to Flaggs parents as well.

Hope he comes back for first night.

Reaction Score
That jersey thing is really cool, more so for the guy who’s already ours, probably. Can’t forget about your own guys in all this.
Everyone preaches family in every program….Hurley just seems to mean it more and believe it than just about every other coach, and I think that resonates more than any of the flashy stuff that takes place on official visits

Reaction Score
Everyone preaches family in every program….Hurley just seems to mean it more and believe it than just about every other coach, and I think that resonates more than any of the flashy stuff that takes place on official visits
He practices what he preaches when it comes to the UConn family. He's made a huge effort over the past few years bringing back all the alumni players to speak at practices, watch games, etc. It's awesome for the program and for the fans to see these guys sticking around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom