Cooper Flagg Thread V3 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg Thread V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I'm Cooper Flagg and my goal is to be a one and done positioned to become an NBA star as soon as possible, then I'd be basing my college decision on:

1. Fit within the offensive system of the team
2. Fit within the roster make up of the team, including who has guards that can get me the ball in the best position to score lots of points
3. Fit within the defensive structure of the team
4. Relationship with the coaches
5. Confidence that the staff will push me to be the best I can be at both ends of the floor with specific basketball teaching acumen
6. Confidence I will be pushed to increase my work ethic and daily habits
7. Ensure I get support from the entire AD to further my personal career management skills...

I left out NIL assuming it won't be a big driver because his first NBA contract will be astronomical and he should focus on basketball while in college rather than chasing marketing deals, but I could be wrong and perhaps he is already going to focus on this with an entourage around him in his last prep season. I hope he met up with MD and others on Saturday for this purpose either way. If NIL is a big deal to him, then Duke would be the best leverage of his final 3 schools.

I also left out where I'd feel the best in terms of feeling at home/the family feel because as a one and doner/expected top pick overall it is really just a 9 month stay.

Just my 2 cents at the end of a long day.

Reaction Score
This is actually V3. The other 2 got locked after 33 and 27 pages respectively. Let's see how far we can keep this one going.

I'll be curious to see if Flagg or his mother talks to the media about the visit. Although there's probably no chance he makes a decision before taking all 3 of his visits.

Thread #1:

Thread #2:

In searching for the 1st thread that got locked I found one from July 2022. Interesting to go back that far and see what people said.

caw

Reaction Score
If I'm Cooper Flagg and my goal is to be a one and done positioned to become an NBA star as soon as possible, then I'd be basing my college decision on:

1. Fit within the offensive system of the team
2. Fit within the roster make up of the team, including who has guards that can get me the ball in the best position to score lots of points
3. Fit within the defensive structure of the team
4. Relationship with the coaches
5. Confidence that the staff will push me to be the best I can be at both ends of the floor with specific basketball teaching acumen
6. Confidence I will be pushed to increase my work ethic and daily habits
7. Ensure I get support from the entire AD to further my personal career management skills...

I left out NIL assuming it won't be a big driver because his first NBA contract will be astronomical and he should focus on basketball while in college rather than chasing marketing deals, but I could be wrong and perhaps he is already going to focus on this with an entourage around him in his last prep season. I hope he met up with MD and others on Saturday for this purpose either way. If NIL is a big deal to him, then Duke would be the best leverage of his final 3 schools.

I also left out where I'd feel the best in terms of feeling at home/the family feel because as a one and doner/expected top pick overall it is really just a 9 month stay.

Just my 2 cents at the end of a long day.

Honestly, those should be the major drivers for most players.

NIL should be important to him, but I don't think the difference in the three offers will make a big difference. For a player like Timberlake, even 20K more is a big deal. For a player like Flagg, even a few hundred K shouldn't make a big difference, bc as you say, he's NBA in nine months after entering school. He might even get some national deals that are not contingent on school, if he plays his cards right/has a good agent. If I were a big national brand and made commercials with athletes, I would try and sign him irregardless of school.

Reaction Score
Got some feedback but it’s not overly informative. The itinerary changed a bit and he went to Hurley’s house on Friday. Him and some of the guys went to Ted’s that night but no info on how that went. Didn’t last long at the football game. He was swarmed by fans there but it was actually Cooper who wanted to go. Donovan did a great job hosting. We have a real chance to land him, not that we didn’t already know that. Duke is still in the lead and it doesn’t help that he’ll be attending their first night. Cooper’s parents are very involved in the recruitment and they will have a lot of say in his decision. I would think that fares well for us. Not only is Hurley a great coach, but also a good man who can build trust. Fear of losing him to Kansas is low, per my source at least.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think he can make a mistake where he picks. This is a special time for his family. They got to see him play college, experience it, and perhaps his final year being a somewhat normal person. He is very young. Comes down to quality of life as well.

I wish people would leave him alone. He’s really young.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think he can make a mistake where he picks. This is a special time for his family. They got to see him play college, experience it, and perhaps his final year being a somewhat normal person. He is very young. Comes down to quality of life as well.

I wish people would leave him alone. He’s really young.
His days of having a normal life and being left alone no longer exist.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think he will surprise everyone by staying very close to home and become the greatest 4 year player in the glorious history of Bowdoin hoops where they have promised to rename the school after him along with a special sandwich at the dining hall. It was brought to his attention that Bowdoin has never lost to Kansas. Duke or the current and 5 time national champs.

Reaction Score
I think he will surprise everyone by staying very close to home and become the greatest 4 year player in the glorious history of Bowdoin hoops where they have promised to rename the school after him along with a special sandwich at the dining hall. It was brought to his attention that Bowdoin has never lost to Kansas. Duke or the current and 5 time national champs.
He grew up significantly closer to Colby. Word on the street is the dining hall AND Big G's deli are offering sandwiches named after him. Could be an offer he can't refuse

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He grew up significantly closer to Colby. Word on the street is the dining hall AND Big G's deli are offering sandwiches named after him. Could be an offer he can't refuse
Bowdoin has way better food. And a great tradition in Moose psychology.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Fun fact: I’ve been vacationing in Maine for 40+ years and have never in my life seen a moose in the wild there. Been to the wildlife sanctuary in Grey several times where we’ve seen them but that’s about it. I’ve been up before dawn and out past dusk looking for one and have had no luck. We did find a creepy old house in the middle of the woods one time where a light flicked on inside as we drove by, so we skedaddled out of there…

Now back to over analyzing Cooper’s visit. What sides did they order at Capital Grille?

Reaction Score
How could food at Capitol be average? Should have gone to Max downtown.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Replying to @UCTitleTown from the prior thread because I missed it while traveling.

"⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Recruit Liam McNeeley is reportedly down to either Kansas or Indiana!" He is Cooper's teammate. He does not really play the same position as Flagg. Duke is recruiting almost every top SF under the sun. They just got a commit from a 5* wing, Kon Knueppel. So now have two of them committed for 2024 (plus another 4*).

Flagg is probably a PF at the college level because of his shot-blocking. Probably a small forward in the NBA. Not that it matters in the NBA. But if you think SF recruits are in his path, then Duke has a big problem. They also have 5* TJ Power coming in this year at PF.

Still think that if he wants to avoid a very crowded front-court situation then the ranking would look like UConn/Kansas->->->->->Duke.

Reaction Score
He will be millionaire from endorsements before he plays a college game (if he isn't already) so school collective NIL might not matter too much but if he can squeeze and extra several hundred thousand out of it, why wouldn't he? He is different than anyone we have recruited in this era. Where does Nike want him to go to school? Edge could go to Duke there. The amount of attention Zion got in college was massive for his marketing.

Reaction Score
He will be millionaire from endorsements before he plays a college game (if he isn't already) so school collective NIL might not matter too much but if he can squeeze and extra several hundred thousand out of it, why wouldn't he? He is different than anyone we have recruited in this era. Where does Nike want him to go to school? Edge could go to Duke there. The amount of attention Zion got in college was massive for his marketing.
I wonder when TV networks will start handing out NIL deals (if they haven't already). A guy like Flagg is going to get Zion level coverage. Should FOX be trying to steer him away from KU and Duke and get him to UConn?

Reaction Score
He could also go pro

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have to believe that this kid loves basketball and comes from a strong family background. He did not become this polished as a player by being lazy or distracted. So like many of our other recruits he looks like has real character and likes a challenge (minutes are earned in practice).

I may very well be wrong (because there is always a risk of injury) but my sense is that money is not the entire story with this kid. Maybe, just maybe he wants to have a year (and yes possibly two) in college to grow up physically as well as mentally/emotionally. Maybe to enjoy some of the experience of college instead of going directly or soon thereafter into the grind of the NBA.

Kind of remembering years ago that some players with names like Magic Johnson (two years in college, Larry Bird (three years), Julius Irving (2 years) etc. and many many more did all right. Barring a very serious injury this kid is going to be financially set for life. Knowing this, how might that impact his decision?

I remember the words of JC which he described as telling players in talking with them about staying or going pro: "I want you to go pro but I also want you to have a long career in the NBA." To my knowledge only Thabeet went earlier than JC recommended.

Here is an article about the players from the JC era:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak