Confused On Wilson Recruiting (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Confused On Wilson Recruiting (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
...unless you have enough self-confidence to not take it personally when others disagree with you.

We all jump on the rude or ignorant ones. Informed disagreements are encouraged, especially if they're respectful.

Reaction Score
I agree. Seems folks here are a little bit "oversensitive". I think this is an overall trend in our society. It permeates this board which BTW I thoroughly enjoy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A while back I suggested that the media was setting up A'ja to look like what you were perceiving. You have to get on the other end of the telescope and pretend your crusty old self is a 17/18 year old girl. She has done nothing more than exercise her rights to pursue her options under the rules and been unfailingly polite in the process, while representing her country rather splendidly abroad. I have often been amused/bemused by your sardonic one liners and would hope that your skin is thick enough for you to swallow this one and stick around for the ride.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'd rather have a player who took her time and made the right long-term decision for her, rather than a short timer who realizes after the fact that UConn (or any school) is not the program for her.

The media is looking for something to talk about. Every day, millions of web pages need to be refreshed with new content ... content, content, content .... The need for content makes lots of non-news items news.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
unless you are in lock step with all of the "regular" posters, or clear your post with them first. Or expect to be attacked from all sides.......Friendly site.

BTW...you can spot "irregular" posters by the verbs they use...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I did coach high school,(boys), but, that still does not explain, why it would take so long to pick from four or five quality programs. And I think all of the evidence has been put out there by the media for the past year. You have your opinion and I have mine.
She hasn't finished all her visits. Why should she decide now?

Reaction Score
...unless you have enough self-confidence to not take it personally when others disagree with you.

We all jump on the rude or ignorant ones. Informed disagreements are encouraged, especially if they're respectful.
Well, our current culture calls folks ignorant when they basically don't agree with us. In addition, Rudeness is entirely subjective in most cases. Just because a person is offended by what I say DOES NOT mean I was being rude.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Regular or irregular, posters are what they are and will post according to their thoughts. Some are very smart about it, and others post knee jerk reactions without really giving it a lot of thought, or really taking a good look at the whole picture.

That said, JRRRJ has it right when he says “..unless you have enough self-confidence to not take it personally when others disagree with you.”

This was a hurdle I had to overcome before I could post here, and overcome it I did. I know that when I post something and folks have differing views, it affords me an opportunity to review their argument and mine and sometimes, I learn something new. Sometimes I believe I was right the first time. But it’s my opinion, and that’s all it is. I don’t need people to agree with me to be confident about the thoughts that I entertain about UConn or anything else. I also don’t need to get the last post in an internet pi$$ing contest. Yet I feel it is important to be open minded, and also to realize that if there is enough dissent about something I post, it might be time to take a good, second look.

Sometimes that means heading to OZ to borrow some of the Cowardly Lion’s Courage.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"If you can't stand the heat....". College posting boards are not for the faint of heart. You should SEE some of the shots that DoggieDaddy and I and a few others used to take over yonder, in spite of our strenuous attempts to be friendly, cordial and objective. (I think maybe it was the "objective" part that may have made us unpopular.) Seriously, very few on this board are rude, except as a response to rudeness. We value couth.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
This girl is making way too much of the whole process. I am not sure Uconn needs her ego. Why would you save bins full of letters from schools, in your living room. She should be narrowed to no more than four colleges. Why would it look different in the spring of 2014. She is enjoying the attention way too much. Just my opinion.....

I totally disagree herbie. Aja is living every high school girls basketball dream right now. This is a once in a lifetime experience and if she wants to wait until the last minute to decide, then good for her!! I've actually watched many aja interviews and this young lady has one of the most down to earth personalities I've ever seen. her parents have done a great job of raising her and it shows in the interviews she has done.

HGN

Reaction Score
I've agreed and disagreed and never found anything but respectful discussions around here 99.9% of the time.

edited to say "here" instead of "her" - didn't want to be accused of talking about a fellow female poster ;-)
Patty, if you've found nothing but respectful discussions around this board its obvious you haven't been around us long enough yet. I'll check back in with you around mid March.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This girl is making way too much of the whole process. I am not sure Uconn needs her ego. Why would you save bins full of letters from schools, in your living room. She should be narrowed to no more than four colleges. Why would it look different in the spring of 2014. She is enjoying the attention way too much. Just my opinion.....
Some people spend a lot of time making decisions, some make quick judgements. Some are indecisive some are rash. This process might be easy for you, but not for Wilson. You could be correct about your assessment, partly correct or you can be completely off the mark. I know for sure that this is not the way you do things. But that doesn't mean that your way of doing it is the correct way for everyone.

A quick assessment between us. One thing I differ from you is coming to a conclusion about someone with the evidence you present. And unlike you, I don't think someone is wrong because they do things differently then the way I do them.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Don't "mean" to be rude, butt only a few of us qualify for the lock step rubric.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Well, our current culture calls folks ignorant when they basically don't agree with us. In addition, Rudeness is entirely subjective in most cases. Just because a person is offended by what I say DOES NOT mean I was being rude.

I don't think the Boneyard reflects "current culture" at all. Lots more informed & accepting on average, so this seems a non sequitur.

Rudeness is relative only with regard to variation between cultures. It is succinctly defined as discourteousness or incivility and a bit more wordily as not taking the feelings of others into account.

Of course, as you pointed out earlier some people are more sensitive than they ought to be, and you might easily offend one with civil discourse when the audience for your utterances is large.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think the Boneyard reflects "current culture" at all. Lots more informed & accepting on average, so this seems a non sequitur.

Rudeness is relative only with regard to variation between cultures. It is succinctly defined as discourteousness or incivility and a bit more wordily as not taking the feelings of others into account.

Of course, as you pointed out earlier some people are more sensitive than they ought to be, and you might easily offend one with civil discourse when the audience for your utterances is large.

A poster disparaged a recruit. Others posters didn't like it and said so. Some were funny. Some were rude. Some were downright insulting.

Rinse and repeat. It's what happens here.

Herb is right about one thing. If it bothers you so much you have to start a thread about it......

Then don't post on The Boneyard.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
A poster disparaged a recruit. Others posters didn't like it and said so. Some were funny. Some were rude. Some were downright insulting.

Rinse and repeat. It's what happens here.

Herb is right about one thing. If it bothers you so much you have to start a thread about it......

Then don't post on The Boneyard.

Wow, DD. Seriously waspish today, eh what?

In this thread, he disparaged the Boneyard, not a recruit. You brought that (and your attitude about it) over here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree. Seems folks here are a little bit "oversensitive". I think this is an overall trend in our society. It permeates this board which BTW I thoroughly enjoy.

There has always been a tension between individuals, between different tribes, and between the tribe and various individuals. No trending imo.

Getting individuals to conform to a perceived "correct" behavior has been going on since the beginning of human history, and maybe before we separated from our ancestors.

I will say this forum's concept of civility is quite different from what can be observed on the men's bb forum. It is interesting how each of the forums on the Boneyard have developed a "community" concept of behavior.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Has anyone made fun of his hat yet?

I'm kinda late to the party and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Reaction Score
Has anyone made fun of his hat yet?

I'm kinda late to the party and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

No, it's yours. I was going to comment on the bowling shirt.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't worry, Fishy, his hat is on the opposite end from his toes.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Wow, DD. Seriously waspish today, eh what?

In this thread, he disparaged the Boneyard, not a recruit. You brought that (and your attitude about it) over here.

Well, HP is complaining that BY responses to his original post (which was not very kind about a recruit and her journey thru selecting a college) constitute an "attack." So, I think DD is responding to HP's response to criticism.
Both are fair game. But HP is a little sensitive IMO, considering his perceived insensitivity to a recruit. In short, HP feeels he was bitten, and so DD bit him again. It happens when arguments move from thread to thread. So be it.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Well, HP is complaining that BY responses to his original post (which was not very kind about a recruit and her journey thru selecting a college) constitute an "attack." So, I think DD is responding to HP's response to criticism.
Both are fair game. But HP is a little sensitive IMO, considering his perceived insensitivity to a recruit. In short, HP feeels he was bitten, and so DD bit him again. It happens when arguments move from thread to thread. So be it.

Youse disagreein' wit' me? :mad::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle