Confidence in Danny Going Forward | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Confidence in Danny Going Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You would think so but we already have people saying you can't win with Ollie guys on the team. Guess what we'll still have some Ollie guys on the team next season.

Ollie guys will slowly be phased out next year. I think Jackson takes the majority of Polley’s minutes. Whaley, who I’m a big fan of because he’s a really nice kid and works hard, I think takes a back seat to Akok/Springs. And if Javonte Brown Ferguson is as good as the staff says, he’ll be stealing some of Carlton’s minutes.

Reaction Score
You would think so but we already have people saying you can't win with Ollie guys on the team. Guess what we'll still have some Ollie guys on the team next season.

Right and there's also going to be Javonte Brown Ferguson, Cole, Springs and Jackson added to the mix. It's not the same group.

And depending on departures - there may be more coming.

Reaction Score
9 for me. I love Hurley's eye for talent and he can develop players.

This place sometimes seems to forget its own history. I was at a December home game vs Villanova during the "1990 Dream Season" and we had 17 points at the half, the crowd booed the team off the court at halftime and Calhoun was waving his arms gesturing too the fans to keep booing. I'm sure he really wanted to flip the crowd the bird. I think that game is part of the youtube archive so you can watch for yourself.

This! Also, from like 1991 to 1998 there were PLENTY of fans calling for Calhoun's head saying he can't win the big one, can't coach offense, could not develop a competent big man (constant calls of UConn being a "donut" team with no center). Hurley is 1 1/2 seasons in rebuilding a roster that was devoid of the talent needed to consistently compete. I want to see Akok, Bouk, Gaffney, Cole, Springs, Jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson, et al with experience. I know some don't have any patience for it but I think DH is going to get it done and maintain it.

Reaction Score
Right and there's also going to be Javonte Brown Ferguson, Cole, Springs and Jackson added to the mix. It's not the same group.

And depending on departures - there may be more coming.
And this year isn't the same group as last year when the Ollie's players excuse was used after blowouts to teams that weren't any good. I just saw a poster say Hurley can't even be judged on anything until 2021-2022.

The no talent thing gets tiresome when we get our doors blown off by teams with less talent who are being coached by first year coaches at their new program. Our roster isn't ideal, it almost never is when a coach takes over a program but you adjust and use what you have to put them in the best possible position to win. I don't think Hurley is doing a great job with that.

Reaction Score
Way too many round numbers in here, a bunch of rookie scores.

I would grade on three areas

Recruiting - 10. Getting the recruits while being in the AAC and a losing program for the last couple years has been quite the feat. Sure he missed out on Kofi and Precious but again it's tough with the factors I listed before. And although he missed on those guys, it's kinda good to see them dominating because that shows how good his eye for talent is.

Development - 9. This is a credit to the entire staff but players have gotten better. Carlton was MIP, Akok is clearly better and stronger due in large part to him joining last winter, and BA has gone from not seeing much time to the first man off the bench. Would like to have seen a little more development from some of the older guys, which is the only reason why this isnt a 10.

Game prep/in game adjustments - 6. This is the biggest weakness in my eyes. The team coming out flat to start the games is getting tired, and it takes a while to make in game adjustments. The defense has been solid, but the offense is tough to watch, and against halfway decent opponents they can't get the ball inside or get open shots for our best shooters.

That gives us an average of 8.3.

Reaction Score
[
Accepting we have a lack talent doesn’t excuse the whole problem by any stretch. One thing JC could do is bring team play up above the collective play of more talented clubs fairly consistently. Danny might be able to recruit his way into a top 25 but unless he starts figuring out how to build an offense, read what’s happening in game and make adjustments, he’s going to hit a ceiling fast.

As soon as you compare DH to JC, your post has lost all validity. There was only one JC. UConn is not going to have another coach that great ever. Firing DH isn't going to change that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This! Also, from like 1991 to 1998 there were PLENTY of fans calling for Calhoun's head saying he can't win the big one, can't coach offense, could not develop a competent big man (constant calls of UConn being a "donut" team with no center). Hurley is 1 1/2 seasons in rebuilding a roster that was devoid of the talent needed to consistently compete. I want to see Akok, Bouk, Gaffney, Cole, Springs, Jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson, et al with experience. I know some don't have any patience for it but I think DH is going to get it done and maintain it.
Calhoun won the NIT his second season, won a bunch of Big East titles, took them to six sweet 16's, and 3 elite 8's. We can stop with the Calhoun stuff, he was pretty damn good right away.

Reaction Score

Recruiting - 10. Getting the recruits while being in the AAC and a losing program for the last couple years has been quite the feat. Sure he missed out on Kofi and Precious but again it's tough with the factors I listed before. And although he missed on those guys, it's kinda good to see them dominating because that shows how good his eye for talent is.

Development - 9. This is a credit to the entire staff but players have gotten better. Carlton was MIP, Akok is clearly better and stronger due in large part to him joining last winter, and BA has gone from not seeing much time to the first man off the bench. Would like to have seen a little more development from some of the older guys, which is the only reason why this isnt a 10.

Game prep/in game adjustments - 6. This is the biggest weakness in my eyes. The team coming out flat to start the games is getting tired, and it takes a while to make in game adjustments. The defense has been solid, but the offense is tough to watch, and against halfway decent opponents they can't get the ball inside or get open shots for our best shooters.

9 seems a bit high on player development considering the only returning player we've seen true progress with is Brendan Adams.

Reaction Score
That was not the thought back then sj. Not sure if you were around to witness that but LOTS of fans wanted him gone despite the NCAA tournaments and Big East runs. People saw Calipari take UMass to the Final Four in 1996 and the calls got even louder. JC did inherit a guy who would be a long time productive NBA player in (junior) Uncle Cliffy and coached up the rest. DH didn't inherit anyone with near the talent as Cliff to build around for a year or two. I think he is getting those guys now but they need experience and coaching. I believe DH will do the job on both the recruiting and coaching from. I get it that you are def. way more glass half empty and seem to want another coach already based on your previous commentary.

Reaction Score
Calhoun won the NIT his second season, won a bunch of Big East titles, took them to six sweet 16's, and 3 elite 8's. We can stop with the Calhoun stuff, he was pretty damn good right away.
Wouldnt it be fair to allow Hurley to finish his second season before knocking the comparison? I’m sure Calhoun had some head scratchers his second year, it just gets lost in just because of the success that followed. Give Hurley some time. His upperclassmen have never even experienced a winning season. Think about that. We lose sight of what Hurley inherited. Coming into this season fans had certain reasonable, fair expectations. We knew nights like last night would happen. But after Charleston fans expectations for this group became too high imo. If we readjust our expectations for this season and just focus on playing postseason basketball and seeing growth, these games will become a lot more enjoyable. Dan can absolutely improve, and I believe he will.The same wouldve been said of Calhoun in the beginning. But these overreactions both positive and negative after every game aren’t representative of where we are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was not the thought back then sj. Not sure if you were around to witness that but LOTS of fans wanted him gone despite the NCAA tournaments and Big East runs. People saw Calipari take UMass to the Final Four in 1996 and the calls got even louder. JC did inherit a guy who would be a long time productive NBA player in (junior) Uncle Cliffy and coached up the rest. DH didn't inherit anyone with near the talent as Cliff to build around for a year or two. I think he is getting those guys now but they need experience and coaching. I believe DH will do the job on both the recruiting and coaching from. I get it that you are def. way more glass half empty and seem to want another coach already based on your previous commentary.
I love Hurley but I can't stand people not being real about what they're watching. We have people saying he can't be judged until all the Ollie players are gone. This is nonsense, Cincy and especially St. Joe's have less talent and first year coaches for them and they both ran us off the court from the opening tip.

You can think he's the right guy for the job longterm and can still talk about how we aren't running anything to make us succesful in the halfcourt, how he isn't making enough adjustments, how we aren't valuing the ball and have regressed since Charleston. If we're only going to judge his coaching when he has his players 1-13 then we should stop watching until 2021-2022 and the board should shut down until then.

Reaction Score
OK I agree with you for the most part then. He is a big boy and DH can take the slings when warranted. The Cincy and St. Joe's games? Eh. That's college hoops. I watched Evansville win at Rupp against Kentucky earlier this year. UK is loaded with NBA talent as usual. SMU, East Carolina, GW, Jackson State and Missouri State...….they all beat Evansville this year. If that can happen then UConn with it's current roster can certainly get beat by St. Joe's or Cincy.

Reaction Score
I'll reserve judgement for the end of next seaaon, when Hurley's additions take the floor.

Right now Hurley's much better than KO, but I think that the bar is high and Uconn back on the Big East is a destination job for any coach.

If Hurley can't push the right buttons, his seat is going to get real hot soon enough.

Reaction Score
Our squad is so Gd soft. Can’t wait till the future

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Hurley's offensive problems are as much attitude as schematic. I think some of the green lights for shooting need to flash yellow, and I think players need to work a little harder for open shots rather than just chuck up the first touch they get in a possession.

Reaction Score
Being blunt, these threads are stupid. Wait until after team lays egg to start this post?
If you really felt this way, why not posted prior to last nights game?
More likely, you were expecting a different outcome last night like most of us. It was a game. A poorly played game. Not a referendum on Hurley .

Stop the insanity.

Reaction Score
So much pre-season hype from many of us about so many things (Carlton's MIP from last year, Gilbert's growth during last season, Whaley and Adams' improvement during summer workouts, three good games in Charleston and Bouknight's fabulous debut, Sid's fleetingly much improved play compared to last year and Polley's 3 point shooting), plus the win over an early season top 10 rated team (that has since lost to Utah State at home).

Then came the ridiculously slow starts time and again; the inexplicably poor decision-making by a former McDonald's AA; the BIG center's disappearing act; and all the other warts which have lead some to repeat the Randy Edsall refrain of "we can't win in my system with someone else's players". You dance with who you took to the prom and, according to those who hyped his hiring the most, Hurley's second year is when the team takes a huge leap forward. Time will tell, but we're fans and we want to boast like Clemson football fans or like we used to.

On the Clemson note, Dabo is famous for creating a true family vibe that Hurley seems to want to match. You don't do that by cleaning house on day one, but at some point his faith in the players has to be matched with effort and performances by those he kept from the previous regime. So far the only real jump from last year to this has been Whaley, a guy who Hurley admits he too often overlooked last year. Let us pray some others see Whaley's + performances even without scoring and decide to join the party.

Reaction Score
1987-1988 NIT Season
Record
Regular Season 4-12 14-13
Big East Tourney 1-1
NIT 5-0

Reaction Score
Being blunt, these threads are stupid. Wait until after team lays egg to start this post?
If you really felt this way, why not posted prior to last nights game?
More likely, you were expecting a different outcome last night like most of us. It was a game. A poorly played game. Not a referendum on Hurley .

Stop the insanity.

Every time we lose bad - this is the thread. Every time we win - there's people punching our ticket to the tournament.

It's the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

one and a third seasons, everyone knows the rules!

Reaction Score
1987-1988 NIT Season
Record
Big East Tourney 1-1
NIT 5-0

I'd love to get the Boneyard's take on Pitt blowing our doors off in the BE tournament that year. We'd have all sorts of prognosis on the future.

Reaction Score
1987-1988 NIT Season
Record
Big East Tourney 1-1
NIT 5-0

The comparisons are dumb. Yes, that team played in the Big East, and this roster would get throttled in that conference. But that team also had a guy that scored almost 20,000 NBA points. Put him on this roster and things are much different.

I'll worry if we still struggle to score next year with Cole, a sophomore Bouknight, and hopefully Akok with a more mature offensive game. Until then, I figured this as an NIT team at the beginning of the year, and I still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom