Confidence in Danny Going Forward | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Confidence in Danny Going Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
9 from me.

It's been a really uneven progression to me. Defensively we're outstanding. We really, really are - especially considering that we're still fairly outsized on the court. Recruiting has been way better than expected. Jackson will be a huge shot in the arm and I think we'll stop getting pushed around so badly when we're able to throw Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs into the mix. Love the staff he's built and there's clearly a real sense of togetherness with this group. His culture building has been good.

Offensively we've been as bad as we've been good in those other areas. We should be better, but then again - i'm not really sure what the answer is.

I mean on one hand, sure - bench guys or pull back on playing time, but then what? Because outside of Akok and (at least by the metrics) Vital - no one's really stepped up. Not a lot of depth up front and that's really come across against better competition. But even in the back court - who's the guy who's gonna step in and take the proverbial brass ring? He's gotta get under the younger guys' butts and get them fired up to compete with the older players on the team because based on what i've seen - there's playing time to be had.

And this idea he's not seeing it or not trying to fix it is kinda silly. I mean at one point - he even threw a rotation of Polley, Gaffney, Carlton, Adams and Whaley out there. He's literally mixing up anything he can. I think part of the onus is certainly on him to make it work and figure it out. But I think it's also fair to say we don't have the bullets yet, either. So it's a little bit of both. To me - I'd like to see us go smaller and run more. We're good on the break - we don't seem comfortable or get exposed in the half court sets, so less of that and let's push a pace. We also press like hyenas so let's work that more and look for buckets off of turnovers. That's what I'd like to see/do - but we'll see.

What i do think people need to do - is stop reacting to every single game. We have older, not very good players on our roster who are going to get the bulk of the minutes until the kids can prove/show they're worthy of getting more time. Should we be better offensively? Yes. But this is also a team that has been worse than this for three years and lost essentially it's best player and the 'replacement' for that is three freshmen. I'm sorry, but people's expectations are out of whack if you've seen what i've seen the last three years and think losing the best player from that group and sprinkling in three freshmen with a new coach and less front court depth is going to make this a tournament team. Maybe it's not him, it's you.

Overall, i've been really impressed. The offense has to get better.

Reaction Score
Accepting we have a lack talent doesn’t excuse the whole problem by any stretch. One thing JC could do is bring team play up above the collective play of more talented clubs fairly consistently. Danny might be able to recruit his way into a top 25 but unless he starts figuring out how to build an offense, read what’s happening in game and make adjustments, he’s going to hit a ceiling fast.

Reaction Score
9 from me.

It's been a really uneven progression to me. Defensively we're outstanding. We really, really are - especially considering that we're still fairly outsized on the court. Recruiting has been way better than expected. Jackson will be a huge shot in the arm and I think we'll stop getting pushed around so badly when we're able to throw Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs into the mix. Love the staff he's built and there's clearly a real sense of togetherness with this group. His culture building has been good.

Offensively we've been as bad as we've been good in those other areas. We should be better, but then again - i'm not really sure what the answer is.

I mean on one hand, sure - bench guys or pull back on playing time, but then what? Because outside of Akok and (at least by the metrics) Vital - no one's really stepped up. Not a lot of depth up front and that's really come across against better competition. But even in the back court - who's the guy who's gonna step in and take the proverbial brass ring? He's gotta get under the younger guys' butts and get them fired up to compete with the older players on the team because based on what i've seen - there's playing time to be had.

And this idea he's not seeing it or not trying to fix it is kinda silly. I mean at one point - he even threw a rotation of Polley, Gaffney, Carlton, Adams and Whaley out there. He's literally mixing up anything he can. I think part of the onus is certainly on him to make it work and figure it out. But I think it's also fair to say we don't have the bullets yet, either. So it's a little bit of both. To me - I'd like to see us go smaller and run more. We're good on the break - we don't seem comfortable or get exposed in the half court sets, so less of that and let's push a pace. We also press like hyenas so let's work that more and look for buckets off of turnovers. That's what I'd like to see/do - but we'll see.

What i do think people need to do - is stop reacting to every single game. We have older, not very good players on our roster who are going to get the bulk of the minutes until the kids can prove/show they're worthy of getting more time. Should we be better offensively? Yes. But this is also a team that has been worse than this for three years and lost essentially it's best player and the 'replacement' for that is three freshmen. I'm sorry, but people's expectations are out of whack if you've seen what i've seen the last three years and think losing the best player from that group and sprinkling in three freshmen with a new coach and less front court depth is going to make this a tournament team. Maybe it's not him, it's you.

Thank You. I agree 1000% with everything you just stated

Reaction Score
9 from me.

He has enough bullets to not get completely run out of the gym by this Cincinnati team. They were totally unprepared from the jump. I get that progression isn't linear but this kind of regression after Charleston shouldn't happen...
This was as bad as the Ollie losses we freaked out about. Totally unprepared, running awful stuff in the halfcourt and just a total lack of focus and fundamentals. We looked good down in Charleston. We ran stuff, we played with energy and we didn't kick the ball all over the court. Since we came back from that trip it's changed pretty drastically...just a lack of focus, we've been throwing the ball all over the place.

I like his recruiting and believe in him as a program builder, I like that he seems to own it unlike KO. What I don't like is how our halfcourt offense is looking eerily similar to KO's and we're getting worse as the season progresses like the last few years with KO.

Overall I have the same belief in him building this thing back to prominence but tonight was as bad as it gets. He better make changes or this will get ugly fast.

Reaction Score
The difference between the Ollie teams and Hurley teams is that Charleston would have never happened to begin with. When we play well, we're pretty good. When we don't - we're this. But we've been mostly the later for three years - and acting surprised that these guys are good for one of these every four or five games at this point is more of an 'us' problem than a Hurley problem.

Reaction Score
The difference between the Ollie teams and Hurley teams is that Charleston would have never happened to begin with. When we play well, we're pretty good. When we don't - we're this. But we've been mostly the later for three years - and acting surprised that these guys are good for one of these every four or five games at this point is more of an 'us' problem than a Hurley problem.
The thing is we're comparing him to KO who I gave a 0 rating on a 0-10 confidence scale. We shouldn't be having these performances every 4 or 5 games.

Reaction Score
Eh, we beat Michigan, Cuse and Oregon early in the last 3 seasons consecutively with Ollie.

Reaction Score
The issue I see offensively really centers on off the ball movement to be honest.

Just snatch a rando clip tonight. Just go back - watch five minutes and watch our off the ball movement offensively. Guys aren't getting open. Our screens are set slow and deliberately. Our picks never turn into pick and rolls. So what happens is no one's open to get the ball to. Gilbert and Vital have the ball deep into the shot clock - they drive and either take a contested layup because Carlton is dragging some dinosaur through the key or we don't complete the drive and get a crappy screen with no roll and we jack up a contested jumper. Watch the overall lack of distance and space *every guy* on the floor creates.

So that's kind of the problem. Some of that is guys no playing with intent. It's not finding energy and having confidence in their movements (Polley, Vital). Some of that is being young and not really knowing the offense as well as they should (BK, Gaffney, Akok. Some of it is just being unathletic and slow (Whaley, Carlton). But it's happening.

I also think Hurley needs to hit the eject button on Carlton altogether as a starter/centerpiece on offense - at least insofar as he needs to be more selective when he uses him. He's slow, can't jump and clogs up lanes. He moves like crap. He's just sorta this traditional center, back to the basket guy and he doesn't really fit. And he makes the off the ball movement issue worse because 1) he's actually the worst off the ball guy on the entire floor; 2) is never in good position; 3) drags guys into space where guys are driving and; 4) has frying pans for hands. He doesn't fit and he makes the problems we have right now on offense worse.

But it's pretty apparent Danny sees that - Carlton's minutes are dropping like a rock. Just hard to totally ice him out when you look at what Cincy threw at us tonight.

Its just adjustments. We gotta figure it out. We shouldn't be this bad. I just wouldn't take us being terrible here as an indicator the whole ship is sinking. Everything else has been great.

Reaction Score
Tough crowd.
Hurley is doing quite well, enough to earn an 8.5-9.0 from me.
We had and have little talent right now, so I’m not sure what some were expecting to see. It’s gonna take time and he is recruiting very well, so the future is bright. The team is a mishmosh of uneven parts, but I love our 3 frosh. The defense is good & getting better. Offense will improve once we get players who fit their roles, which we don’t have right now. I’m buying on Hurley leading us back to the promised land. Some of you guys need to relax.

Reaction Score
Patience and try to enjoy the roller coaster this year. It’s a much safer ride than previous years but will still have its hills, valleys, twists and turns. Next 2 years will be better.

I’ll throw him an 8-9 because I simply love that dude. I’m happy he is here!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For those scoring at home, Ollie beat Phil Martelli, Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and John Calipari in consecutive games to win a NATIONAL FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP with a roster that had ONE future NBA player on it.

Do you think Hurley could do that at this point in his career? We have lost to St. Joe's and just got blown out by Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
For those scoring at home, Ollie beat Phil Martelli, Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and John Calipari in consecutive games to win a NATIONAL FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP with a roster that had ONE future NBA player on it.

Do you think Hurley could do that at this point in his career? We have lost to St. Joe's and just got blown out by Cincinnati.
In that season Ollie got manhandled by Pitino 3 times. And was a miracle by Amida Brimah from losing to.....St Joes lmaooo. He also had a couple of guards names Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright. Who would’ve fit Hurley’s style like a glove

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In that season Ollie got manhandled by Pitino 3 times. And was a miracle by Amida Brimah from losing to.....St Joes lmaooo. He also had a couple of guards names Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright. Who would’ve fit Hurley’s style like a glove

Hurley just got his tits lit by 7-5 Cincinnati, and you are "lmaooo"ing about the time Ollie won a National Championship because you don't think it counts?

Reaction Score
Hurley just got his tits lit by 7-5 Cincinnati, and you are "lmaooo"ing about the time Ollie won a National Championship because you don't think it counts?
Huh? Where did I say I didn’t count? I pointed out Ollie getting manhandled that same year to show it happens even to the best teams. I pointed out Shabazz and Boatright because Hurley has no one close to that caliber. The lmaooo was just because its ironic how he almost loss to St Joes as well. Try harder next time

Reaction Score
The thing is we're comparing him to KO who I gave a 0 rating on a 0-10 confidence scale. We shouldn't be having these performances every 4 or 5 games.

We shouldn't? I mean this is what this core has done for four years, lol.

And they lost their go-to scorer and we replaced him with three freshmen on the team. How many times do we have to see this before you kind of accept that this is what they're gonna do? They do care an they work hard - they're just not that good. There's a limit to their ability. I mean I'd work really hard to play on the UConn basketball team but i'm only 6'2 and overweight and I suck at basketball. There's only so much I can do an only so much yelling and chair smashing Hurley can do that's going to make me do anything more than what I can actually do. And these guys are actually not very good. In a five game stretch they'll beat someone they shouldn't. They'll lose to someone they shouldn't. The'll get blown out by 20 against a good team and then play two more games that go either way depending on how their stretch of in-game dumpster fire goes. That's what they do.

I mean what's Hurley supposed to do yell at them and scare them or something? Bench them? I mean he sat Carlton for 70% of the Maine game to prove a point. He's got Sid buried on planet Pluto somewhere. There's been entire stretches where he won't let Gilbert and Vital out on the court together unless there's a babysitter there to accompany them (Gaffney).

You look at how he's run his offense historically - I mean he's NEVER had a guy like Carlton in that rotation. But he's there and we don't really have anything else and you can't trot an undersized group out against this Cincinnati team. I mean heck - he did after Carlton played himself to the bench again and it still didn't make a difference. Instead it was Gaffney chasing Vogt around and hugging him. Akok got roughed up by him, too.

I hate saying it, but these kids are not. good. enough. They don't digest coaching. They cave when things get tough. They don't manage their energy well. They have bad basketball IQ. And that's not even getting into their lack of physical tools. LOOK at the difference in size between them and us tonight. They're mid major basketball players. Some of them do a few things well and when everyone's on - they can beat some really, really good teams; but the talent distribution is such that a lot has to happen for those talents to all be on on a consistent basis. So what you get is exactly what you're watching. These are deeply flawed basketball players and you need to roll Yahtzee every game if you want to see a good game from them. The good players we have are young and raw still (less so Akok, but he can't do everything on his own).

I'm not making excuses for Hurley - I would like to have seen more from him tonight. But this constant couch fainting over these guys is so beyond me at this point. Should you expect these performances from them every 4-5 games? 100%. Like freaking clockwork.

The good news is - we're seeing a lot less of it. And all the young players have been as advertised and most of the guys are getting better. 2 out of the 3 guys though who we NEED to be fantastic haven't been anything close to that. So that's why we're at where we're at.

I'm not busting your chops here, I just can't get outsized expectations with these guys. It's a game to game thing. I just want to see the players who will be here forward getting better and I want to see us keep recruiting well. We're doing both, so i'm content for now. I'm soooooooooooooooo unconcerned with results right now I don't even know where to begin because we're just not at that point yet.

But saying we 'shouldn't' be seeing this... I dunno. When you have some raw, talented kids mixed in w/ physically limited, flawed basketball players (who are also a little PTSD after the last coach), this is exactly what you get. Some great nights. Some dumpster fires. Tonight was def the later. It's on Hurley to keep them from happening (i'm typing this watching Marquette getting smoked by a million in Creighton), but until we see the talent level take that step forward - I'm not sweating it. If it's February next year and we're doing this? Then i'll be worried. I'm not worried right now.

Reaction Score

Cmon. All this says is that if you have the right players, at the right time, then you can catch a wave & win big. I liked Ollie, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime ride that worked in our favor. There’s a lot of mediocre coaches who won championships. Let’s not make it like KO was another Wooden.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bernie Carbo and Aaron Boone hit big game HR's once, too. Guess they should be gifted lifetime contracts and hit cleanup forever.

Reaction Score
Cmon. All this says is that if you have the right players, at the right time, then you can catch a wave & win big. I liked Ollie, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime ride that worked i. Our favor. Let’s not make it like Ollie is another Wooden.
The good coaches win when they have good players. That goes for any sport at any level, Its that simple. The bad coaches don’t win when they have good players, and in the case of college sports, bad coaches cant recruit good players. Yes, crazy things can happen, and every team that has ever won a championship has gotten lucky at some point during their championship run. Im not trying to defend Ollie, but 2014 was not a fluke. What happened after 2014 was in fact Ollie’s fault since he failed to recruit/develop good enough players.

Reaction Score
I consider myself a pretty optimistic and not particularly reactionary guy, but I’m at a seven right now. The coaching staff that Hurley has assembled is impressive and his recruiting has been outstanding out of the gate, but the lack of any kind of coherent half-court offensive sets has me concerned. The kids coming out unprepared game after game has me concerned. The lack of first half adjustments, has me concerned. Seeing our two senior starters making the same mistakes over and over again has me concerned.

Don’t get me wrong I like Hurley and I’m glad he’s our coach, but I am a little concerned about what we’re seeing this season.

After the Miami game where we had such good interior passing by Carlton and good overall team play I had hopes the offense was improving but it didn't continue.

Reaction Score
The issue I see offensively really centers on off the ball movement to be honest.

Just snatch a rando clip tonight. Just go back - watch five minutes and watch our off the ball movement offensively. Guys aren't getting open. Our screens are set slow and deliberately. Our picks never turn into pick and rolls. So what happens is no one's open to get the ball to. Gilbert and Vital have the ball deep into the shot clock - they drive and either take a contested layup because Carlton is dragging some dinosaur through the key or we don't complete the drive and get a crappy screen with no roll and we jack up a contested jumper. Watch the overall lack of distance and space *every guy* on the floor creates.

So that's kind of the problem. Some of that is guys no playing with intent. It's not finding energy and having confidence in their movements (Polley, Vital). Some of that is being young and not really knowing the offense as well as they should (BK, Gaffney, Akok. Some of it is just being unathletic and slow (Whaley, Carlton). But it's happening.

I also think Hurley needs to hit the eject button on Carlton altogether as a starter/centerpiece on offense - at least insofar as he needs to be more selective when he uses him. He's slow, can't jump and clogs up lanes. He moves like crap. He's just sorta this traditional center, back to the basket guy and he doesn't really fit. And he makes the off the ball movement issue worse because 1) he's actually the worst off the ball guy on the entire floor; 2) is never in good position; 3) drags guys into space where guys are driving and; 4) has frying pans for hands. He doesn't fit and he makes the problems we have right now on offense worse.

But it's pretty apparent Danny sees that - Carlton's minutes are dropping like a rock. Just hard to totally ice him out when you look at what Cincy threw at us tonight.

Its just adjustments. We gotta figure it out. We shouldn't be this bad. I just wouldn't take us being terrible here as an indicator the whole ship is sinking. Everything else has been great.
He’s the polar opposite of brimah who also couldn’t catch but was always on the ground.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't? I mean this is what this core has done for four years, lol.

And they lost their go-to scorer and we replaced him with three freshmen on the team. How many times do we have to see this before you kind of accept that this is what they're gonna do? They do care an they work hard - they're just not that good. There's a limit to their ability. I mean I'd work really hard to play on the UConn basketball team but i'm only 6'2 and overweight and I suck at basketball. There's only so much I can do an only so much yelling and chair smashing Hurley can do that's going to make me do anything more than what I can actually do. And these guys are actually not very good. In a five game stretch they'll beat someone they shouldn't. They'll lose to someone they shouldn't. The'll get blown out by 20 against a good team and then play two more games that go either way depending on how their stretch of in-game dumpster fire goes. That's what they do.

I mean what's Hurley supposed to do yell at them and scare them or something? Bench them? I mean he sat Carlton for 70% of the Maine game to prove a point. He's got Sid buried on planet Pluto somewhere. There's been entire stretches where he won't let Gilbert and Vital out on the court together unless there's a babysitter there to accompany them (Gaffney).

You look at how he's run his offense historically - I mean he's NEVER had a guy like Carlton in that rotation. But he's there and we don't really have anything else and you can't trot an undersized group out against this Cincinnati team. I mean heck - he did after Carlton played himself to the bench again and it still didn't make a difference. Instead it was Gaffney chasing Vogt around and hugging him. Akok got roughed up by him, too.

I hate saying it, but these kids are not. good. enough. They don't digest coaching. They cave when things get tough. They don't manage their energy well. They have bad basketball IQ. And that's not even getting into their lack of physical tools. LOOK at the difference in size between them and us tonight. They're mid major basketball players. Some of them do a few things well and when everyone's on - they can beat some really, really good teams; but the talent distribution is such that a lot has to happen for those talents to all be on on a consistent basis. So what you get is exactly what you're watching. These are deeply flawed basketball players and you need to roll Yahtzee every game if you want to see a good game from them. The good players we have are young and raw still (less so Akok, but he can't do everything on his own).

I'm not making excuses for Hurley - I would like to have seen more from him tonight. But this constant couch fainting over these guys is so beyond me at this point. Should you expect these performances from them every 4-5 games? 100%. Like freaking clockwork.

The good news is - we're seeing a lot less of it. And all the young players have been as advertised and most of the guys are getting better. 2 out of the 3 guys though who we NEED to be fantastic haven't been anything close to that. So that's why we're at where we're at.

I'm not busting your chops here, I just can't get outsized expectations with these guys. It's a game to game thing. I just want to see the players who will be here forward getting better and I want to see us keep recruiting well. We're doing both, so i'm content for now. I'm soooooooooooooooo unconcerned with results right now I don't even know where to begin because we're just not at that point yet.

But saying we 'shouldn't' be seeing this... I dunno. When you have some raw, talented kids mixed in w/ physically limited, flawed basketball players (who are also a little PTSD after the last coach), this is exactly what you get. Some great nights. Some dumpster fires. Tonight was def the later. It's on Hurley to keep them from happening (i'm typing this watching Marquette getting smoked by a million in Creighton), but until we see the talent level take that step forward - I'm not sweating it. If it's February next year and we're doing this? Then i'll be worried. I'm not worried right now.
He's supposed to coach them, Hurley said Alterique and Josh would be all-league and Alterique would have a chance at AAC player of the year. Why do we make the coaching change and why does Hurley bring back all the same players if we aren't expecting him to coach them out of bad habits and make them better players? We're just supposed to sit here and say they suck while Hurley keeps playing them and expect to get our doors blown off every 4 or 5 games by teams that aren't really any good? If that's what you 100% expect then he obviously shouldn't be playing them more than some spot minutes to spell the young guys when they need a rest.

If you don't expect him to run a half court offense and instead of seeing these veterans to get better were supposed to see them stay the exact same of regress then what is he getting paid to do? Just keep running the same lineup out there and have three cr@p seasons in a row because he couldn't stomach running any players off.

You say you're not making excuses but you are. The talent thing excuse doesn't really work when you get your s***t pushed in by Cincy and St. Joes.

Reaction Score
9 for me. I love Hurley's eye for talent and he can develop players.

This place sometimes seems to forget its own history. I was at a December home game vs Villanova during the "1990 Dream Season" and we had 17 points at the half, the crowd booed the team off the court at halftime and Calhoun was waving his arms gesturing too the fans to keep booing. I'm sure he really wanted to flip the crowd the bird. I think that game is part of the youtube archive so you can watch for yourself.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bailing on Carlton will leave us with the worst parts of Hurley's offense...kamikaze drives and long, contested, pull up 3's.

Reaction Score
Starting to think Hurley may not be the right guy.
You’re totally wrong! This is a long term process. This team and this program can not and will not be changed overnight. When I say overnight I mean within 2 seasons. This will take longer than any of us has the patience to wait, but I trust Hurley to bring this program back

Reaction Score

This is really dumb. Shabazz was the best player in college basketball and he played the most important position in college basketball. Ollie lost total control of the program after that and was reduced to recruiting role players from Fordham and Cornell and dunkers off of youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom