Confidence in Danny Going Forward | The Boneyard

Confidence in Danny Going Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tonight was sickening, and there are some things that I have wanted to discuss, and now seems like a great time.

What is your confidence in Danny Hurley leading this team on a scale of 1-10. 1 being bring back KO tomorrow and 10 being the next JC.

I am currently at a five.

I think the biggest mistake he has made as UConn's head coach is not cleaning house when he got here. I understand why he didn't, but it's clear that he needs players that fit his scheme and personality or else it just doesn't work. Danny's best trait as a coach is his ability to recruit (which if we suck the rest of this year, we could be in big trouble). Keeping everyone on the roster limits that ability. He made the politically correct move, but it set the program back another 2 years because it is going to take a while to get new players into the program and developed. There are several players on this roster that do not have the talent to play here. I will leave it at that.

The scary thought to me is what happens next year? What changes? RJ Cole is a player, and is a PG we desperately need, but what immediate help do we have? Andre Jackson is a great prospect, but I am not sure he will be a game changer as a freshman. Richie Springs might be a role player and Javonte Brown Ferguson is two years away from really helping. I think we need to recruit a nasty 6-8 grad transfer that can score, and we need another impact big.

What is the ceiling for the current roster? Will Sid ever be a player? Can Josh ever develop a mean streak? Can Polley ever rebound a mfing basketball?

We should be competitive in the league year two. No excuses. But for some reason, I have the same feeling watching this team as I did watching the mess that Ollie produced. It blows my mind Danny keeps getting absolutely out coached and out classed by other teams. He says the right things in interviews and press conferences, but this is now the same thing in year two and year one. I thought there would be so much progress in the off-season, and there hasn't been. Maybe the players have reached their ceilings, but I would rather develop our core for the future than watch Josh Carlton get his feeling hurt by any player with a pulse.

Something has to change. If Hurley can't wait 19-20 games with this roster, that will be a huge reg flag, and it will be harder and harder to recruit and retain our current talent if we don't start to produce.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

There is only one Jim Calhoun, warts and all.

The solution to the offense is being redshirted/playing HS ball in Albany/Bouknight.

I am a failingly impatient, reactionary person. But this needs time. It is being fixed.

Reaction Score
TBD. he turned URI into a top 25 tourney team so he can do it here. I'm not passing judgment until next year when a majority of the players will no longer be Ollie's. they are just damaged beyond repair.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Springs sitting out this year will be great long term, but really is going to hurt us this year. We have no depth in the front court. Josh and Whaley are going to play because we have no choice.

I think Cole is going to be a huge upgrade over Gilbert.

That spring scholarship we have is going to be very important. Staff is swinging for a major recruit.

Reaction Score
7......thought he would turn things around quicker....still think he will make us a perennial tournament team. That being said he’s got to make some improvements but I think he’s the type of guy who will

Reaction Score
Springs sitting out this year will be great long term, but really is going to hurt us this year. We have no depth in the front court. Josh and Whaley are going to play because we have no choice.

I think Cole is going to be a huge upgrade over Gilbert.

That spring scholarship we have is going to be very important. Staff is swinging for a major recruit.
Any word on position of the major recruit?

Reaction Score
Tonight was sickening, and there are some things that I have wanted to discuss, and now seems like a great time.

What is your confidence in Danny Hurley leading this team on a scale of 1-10. 1 being bring back KO tomorrow and 10 being the next JC.

I think the biggest mistake he has made as UConn's head coach is not cleaning house when he got here. I understand why he didn't, but it's clear that he needs players that fit his scheme and personality or else it just doesn't work. Danny's best trait as a coach is his ability to recruit (which if we suck the rest of this year, we could be in big trouble). Keeping everyone on the roster limits that ability. He made the politically correct move, but it set the program back another 2 years because it is going to take a while to get new players into the program and developed. There are several players on this roster that do not have the talent to play here. I will leave it at that.

The scary thought to me is what happens next year? What changes? RJ Cole is a player, and is a PG we desperately need, but what immediate help do we have? Andre Jackson is a great prospect, but I am not sure he will be a game changer as a freshman. Richie Springs might be a role player and Javonte Brown Ferguson is two years away from really helping. I think we need to recruit a nasty 6-8 grad transfer that can score, and we need another impact big.

What is the ceiling for the current roster? Will Sid ever be a player? Can Josh ever develop a mean streak? Can Polley ever rebound a mfing basketball?

We should be competitive in the league year two. No excuses. But for some reason, I have the same feeling watching this team as I did watching the mess that Ollie produced. It blows my mind Danny keeps getting absolutely out coached and out classed by other teams. He says the right things in interviews and press conferences, but this is now the same thing in year two and year one. I thought there would be so much progress in the off-season, and there hasn't been. Maybe the players have reached their ceilings, but I would rather develop our core for the future than watch Josh Carlton get his feeling hurt by any player with a pulse.

Something has to change. If Hurley can't wait 19-20 games with this roster, that will be a huge reg flag, and it will be harder and harder to recruit and retain our current talent if we don't start to produce.
I don't disagree, but this is how Hurley wants to run his program. He wants a family type atmosphere, and doesn't like kids leaving the program. May have set us back a year or two, but he promotes this in his recruiting. Where he is excelling the most at this point.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

smh

I think the biggest mistake he has made as UConn's head coach is not cleaning house when he got here.
no

I understand why he didn't, but it's clear that he needs players that fit his scheme and personality or else it just doesn't work.
No.

Danny's best trait as a coach is his ability to recruit
NO

His best trait as a coach is his ability to rebuild broken programs, and for him that's never started with the guys he's recruited. That's always been about rebuilding a culture – one of responsibility, improvement, and winning. It didn't happen overnight at Wagner, it didn't happen overnight at URI, and it's not going to happen overnight here.

Tonight sucked, and there will be more games that suck during the rest of this year. But we're a much better team than last year.

And next year's team will be much better than this year's. Slow, steady and linear toward sustainable excellence.

It took Calhoun half-a-decade to build the culture he wanted and needed, by the way. There's a reason he demanded a 7-year contract when he took the job.

Hurley's a 9, dude.

Reaction Score
My trust in Danny is an 8.5. I don’t think there are many coaches that could do better and I don’t think two years ago UConn could have hired anyone better. While I agree that I would have liked him to clean house, that isn’t who he is. That will help in the long run. The problem now isn’t Danny, the problem still remains the players he has inherited. It takes time to rebuild and what he has shown so far has all been positive. Good times are ahead, but tonight showed what some of us have been suggesting for a while...... this team isn’t all that good. At best, they are a bubble team. Realistically, they fall quite short.

Reaction Score
A little concerned about Hurley’s In-game judgment, especially as to AG and the glaring lack of any offensive plan. Shuffling around outside the arc for 25 seconds with high screens is not an offense. I thought he would be much more buttoned up and methodical. Hype and emotion don’t carry the day.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He could've quick-fixed them into a second round team via transfers and some scholarship moves. He didn't.

The entire world is impatient about everything all the time. Let's try being patient about UConn basketball. It'll be our little special club. Nobody else will get it, it'll freak them out and we can all be amused by it as an inside joke.

TJT

Reaction Score
Starting to think Hurley may not be the right guy.

Reaction Score
Better understand that Gilbert Carlton and Co. need to have young players show them how it done.

Reaction Score

smh

no

No.

NO

His best trait as a coach is his ability to rebuild broken programs, and for him that's never started with the guys he's recruited. That's always been about rebuilding a culture – one of responsibility, improvement, and winning. It didn't happen overnight at Wagner, it didn't happen overnight at URI, and it's not going to happen overnight here.

Tonight sucked, and there will be more games that suck during the rest of this year. But we're a much better team than last year.

And next year's team will be much better than this year's. Slow, steady and linear toward sustainable excellence.

It took Calhoun half-a-decade to build the culture he wanted and needed, by the way. There's a reason he demanded a 7-year contract when he took the job.

Hurley's a 9, dude.

smh

no

No.

NO

Hurley's a 9, dude.

I feel like you’re giving him a nine because of what you think he will do. Not where we are right now.

I’m just curious what are your expectations this year? And if it’s improvement and players getting better, where have we seen that? Brendan Adams is the only player that has made strides.

when do you start to judge him on record and win quality? Many of these players have been coached more by him then Ollie now.

Reaction Score
I didn't like it at the time and yes it was the PC thing to do and yes it clearly hurt us. As you point out Hurley is going to win with recruiting and defense. You can win a ton of games that way. Calhoun is one of the best coaches ever and so often it was from being the toughest SOB on the court. He recruited a lot a talent and molded them after himself, they won a lot games just by being the tougher team and outwilling teams with defense. Outside of CV, and his game is just way too flawed to be a go-to starting shooting guard at this level our vets are softer than Charmin. Jalen Adams was also incredibly soft.

Reaction Score

He is a great defensive coach and mentor to young men. No doubt about it.

I am VERY concerned with the offense. Personnel plays a part, but we're not maximizing what we have. He is not flexible enough. Sticks with guys too long.

He is also a young guy. Plenty of time to be a top 10 NCAA coach in time. I have faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom