Confidence in Danny Going Forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Confidence in Danny Going Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have confidence in his recruiting and instituting a great team culture. I worry about his in-game stubbornness.
Its who he is. Most good coaches are stubborn. You can be with good players. The problem now is he doesn’t have many. His hands are tied.

Reaction Score
I feel like you’re giving him a nine because of what you think he will do. Not where we are right now.

Wasn't your question confidence level in him going forward, not how good a job has he done coaching this roster?

He has a proven track record as someone who can turn programs around, the one question when he got here was will he be able to recruit players for a higher level than he has been at in the past, and so far he has answered that question. I have full confidence in him

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I consider myself a pretty optimistic and not particularly reactionary guy, but I’m at a seven right now. The coaching staff that Hurley has assembled is impressive and his recruiting has been outstanding out of the gate, but the lack of any kind of coherent half-court offensive sets has me concerned. The kids coming out unprepared game after game has me concerned. The lack of first half adjustments, has me concerned. Seeing our two senior starters making the same mistakes over and over again has me concerned.

Don’t get me wrong I like Hurley and I’m glad he’s our coach, but I am a little concerned about what we’re seeing this season.

Reaction Score
9. But just because 10 was defined as Jim Calhoun, who I'd fire any coach in America at any point for

Reaction Score
Springs sitting out this year will be great long term, but really is going to hurt us this year. We have no depth in the front court. Josh and Whaley are going to play because we have no choice.

I think Cole is going to be a huge upgrade over Gilbert.

That spring scholarship we have is going to be very important. Staff is swinging for a major recruit.
I'm sure this post will be buried/deleted. But sure seems like AG won't be the only scholarship opening based on who's seeing the floor

Reaction Score
We struck gold with Calhoun. We're not getting another one. At this point I'd settle for a coach with even 50-60% of his coaching ability if it gets us back into the top 10-20. Not sure about DH yet but the early results aren't good. We'll see how he fares as conference play goes on, then next year when he has more of his recruits leading the way.

Reaction Score
Wasn't your question confidence level in him going forward, not how good a job has he done coaching this roster?

He has a proven track record as someone who can turn programs around, the one question when he got here was will he be able to recruit players for a higher level than he has been at in the past, and so far he has answered that question. I have full confidence in him

That's fair. Just so tired of getting our teeth kicked in against the AAC. Every game we play well, I talk myself into we have turned a corner. Then we no show. There is no consistency which drives me insane.

Reaction Score

He is a great defensive coach and mentor to young men. No doubt about it.

I am VERY concerned with the offense. Personnel plays a part, but we're not maximizing what we have. He is not flexible enough. Sticks with guys too long.

He is also a young guy. Plenty of time to be a top 10 NCAA coach in time. I have faith.
It is insanity. Which is what I hated about Ollie. Same thing every game.

Josh is useless in the pick and roll. Why not put him in the short corner and space the floor more? This five out he runs creates so much crowding on the free throw line extended.

Reaction Score
That's fair. Just so tired of getting our teeth kicked in against the AAC. Every game we play well, I talk myself into we have turned a corner. Then we no show. There is no consistency which drives me insane.
Especially Cincinnati. Since JC took over, we’ve never been owned by another school like this. 8 straight losses, many of which we were manhandled, is tough to swallow.

Reaction Score

You people are crazy.
Can you at least provide a little meat in your argument before you call people crazy? I just want to hear why you’re 100% confident he’s the guy. Im optimistic but expected a better brand of ball this many games into his tenure.

Reaction Score
I’m still confident in him moving forward but it’s fair to question his in game coaching as well. At the end of the day, he’s geting paid $3 million/year to be the coach and bring the program back national prominence. There aren’t many coaches making that much money a year in CBB so games like tonight are unacceptable. Still confident with his ability to turn around programs, it just hurts to see UConn throw up another stinker like that.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this post will be buried/deleted. But sure seems like AG won't be the only scholarship opening based on who's seeing the floor
if we can still get cliff and another wing for 2020 there wouldnt be anymore Ollie guys in the top 10 rotation. what a thought! i feel better already

Cole-Gaff
Bouk-Adams
Jackson- ??
Akok-Springs
Cliff- Brown

Last edited:
Reaction Score
6. Been concerned by most of this season prior to tonight. People rate him high because they're desperate that he be the real deal. However, at best he's been "ok" so far. As far as I can see he hasn't earned a higher confidence rating than a 6. I think even that is being generous.

Reaction Score
I’m still confident in him moving forward but it’s fair to question his in game coaching as well. At the end of the day, he’s geting paid $3 million/year to be the coach and bring the program back national prominence. There aren’t many coaches making that much money a year in CBB so games like tonight are unacceptable. Still confident with his ability to turn around programs, it just hurts to see UConn throw up another stinker like that.
Hurley is tied for 27th highest salary in CBB so yes there are a few

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Not a single Ollie player has the capability to lead a team or carry a team. Yeah, Vital goes nuts here and there but, again, limitations.

Hurley had to keep a team from totally jumping ship. And he did. Now he is dealing with the Ollie players that had no place to escape.

Hurley is successfully building his foundation with Adams, the freshman and the current incoming kids.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
eleventeen. and im gonna bring him some fresh,warm muffins to show my gratitude.
too much?
ok, make it a ten, and i'll hold on the warm ones, and just send him some hostess cupcakes cuz we lost tonite. I didn't feel like going all martha stewart after that anyway.

Reaction Score
Hurley is tied for 27th highest salary in CBB so yes there are a few
Right so he’s 27th. Which would roughly mean the team should be contending for a top 25 ranking if he’s being paid at that level. I have a lot of confidence in him and really like the players he is bringing in, but staring down the barrel of another tough conference play season is brutal. It’s fair to question some of the decision making that’s happening is all. I’m okay with some tough losses, but showings like tonight are not acceptable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Especially Cincinnati. Since JC took over, we’ve never been owned by another school like this. 8 straight losses, many of which we were manhandled, is tough to swallow.
Most of the losses were close. But if you’re concerned about the physicality of play, then maybe you’re more concerned about the officiating then the coaching.

Reaction Score
4- Most of that is based on recruiting. His antics and in-game coaching concern me. Also, I need to see if he can make players better. When some of you lose the "Ollie's Guys" excuse, you may be in for some deep pain. But I hope you are very right and I am very wrong.

Reaction Score
9. As confident as I can be. But there will never be another Jim Calhoun so not a 10.

Reaction Score
7. It seems I'm on a different curve than most. I was reticent all last year and said I needed to wait to pass judgement. Earlier this year I passed judgement that he was the guy. I'm not letting tonight's game change that, but we've taken a step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom