Conference Realignment | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment

Reaction Score
The radio host is right our football team is a joke and needs to be downgraded forever. Go back to the Big East so we can be in a geographically better conference. End of story.
BY06518, why not stay off the football forum? You are not contributing to the future of UConn football - and really, you are NOT contributing to UConn Athletics. If we go into the Big East, our basketball teams will be hurt, since the BIG EAST, should be called the Big LEAST. It is NOT THE SAME CONFERENCE that we were in.

Reaction Score
We get it. You dont like football. What did you you say about UCF football when they went 0-13 not that many years ago? Should they have shut down football?
Last year many were calling them the real national champs over Alabama when they were 13-0. Things can change in a very short time.
What did you say when we beat ND in football?
Did you go to the Michigan game? It was electric and we had a great shot at winning. Also had a shot at winning at Michigan too.

I was in the Big House for that game and we could and should have won if we played aggressively the whole game. I felt the wrong vibe right from the start when our team came strolling out from the locker room with arms linked. Michigan came out fired up and ready to explode.

Reaction Score
No major school quits football, ever. That is the nail in the coffin. Then you might as well go DIII and become an academic institution. Once you've made the jump you need to stay there as there is no turning back.

...and UConn is not being invited to the Ivy league anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why everyone is saying drop football. We knew when randy came in he said we had to rebuild and get players that work with the system in a press conference. It sucks yes but it will pay off. Even if they suck for two more years they will find a way to get this boat rocking. I rather build up a team a right way then keep going down the wrong path. Our time will come I’m not too worried about it

Reaction Score
The Assistant AD at Kansas talks about realignment, football....will sound familiar to boneyarders.

Captured in a KU blog....

“We have conference realignment coming up,” Baty cautioned. “We have to show that we care about football. We have to show that we have the resources. We have to show that we have the winning product on the field.”

He also tells fans/donors not to be part of the problem....

Williams Fund boss Matt Baty instructs KU donors on how not to be 'part of the problem' | Lunch Break

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Not true whatsoever. During our "average" years (2003-2013), UConn drew at or near capacity. No surprise that attendance has been in a free fall afterwards, when the Diacopolypse started taking hold.

View attachment 37340

Honestly, these type of misinformed posts don't do UConn any good whatsoever. And with the light posting history from this poster, I have the sick feeling that I'm just feeding some Big East troll.
Agreed! I went to a boat load of games in the hay-day of UCONN football. It was amazing! High energy, fun, just awesome. Edsall sometimes put me to sleep with his run heavy O, but I long for those days now.

Reaction Score
The Assistant AD at Kansas talks about realignment, football....will sound familiar to boneyarders.

“We have conference realignment coming up,” Baty cautioned. “We have to show that we care about football. We have to show that we have the resources. We have to show that we have the winning product on the field.”

Williams Fund boss Matt Baty instructs KU donors on how not to be 'part of the problem' | Lunch Break

He showed that Kansas cares about football with the Les Miles hire. And, he's perfectly right about the fans/donors.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Good post.

We can all debate whether or not Les Miles will be successful at Kansas. He may be; he may not be. Honestly, that's not the most important aspect to Kansas' CR profile. What is most important - and UConn & UConn fans struggle to realize this time and time again - is that Kansas is making a very significant statement that they want to win football games. Will they? Who knows. But hiring Miles and putting $300M towards a football stadium/facility reno project is a very serious commitment to football and something that will not go unnoticed by the Old Money Club, should Kansas' spot in a P5/P4 world come into question.

In my opinion, I think Kansas will be Texas' eventual +1 to go the B1G at the next CR cycle...not Oklahoma. Kansas is AAU, their hoops program is a top 5-10 (plus Naismith history), and this investment in football is HUGE. Would make for a better geographic fit for Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. And God forbid that their investment in Miles and the stadium/facility expansion actually nets results (wins). They'd easily leapfrog Oklahoma, who is not AAU.

But you'll have to excuse me, I have to go back to arguing with supposed UConn fans who think dropping football to cement ourselves to a small private Catholic school basketball conference is a good idea. Head bang

Reaction Score
So what does FSU football have anything to do with the future of UConn football?

It was a horrible joke/comparison.
FSU was once a female teachers' school.

Not difficult to envision how upper education is taking shape.

Reaction Score
Ahhhh...but the pertinent ranking...

No. 1 ranked master's degree program in Sport Management in the nation, College Choice, 2018.

Reaction Score
UAB dropped football....at the insistance of their President.....after the CarrSports Consulting report recommended closing it due to the cost versus return.

And after two seasons without, they undid their mistake and reinstated the program.

Reaction Score
Dropping football to join the C7 is outrageously stupid. The new Big Least is turning into Nova and the nobodies, buried on Fox, dying a slow death as AAC basketball gains on them every year and will soon pass them in the pecking order. No thanks, UCONN should stay in the same conference it has been in since 1979 until a better offer comes our way not a worse one.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing the AAC add two more basketball only schools, VCU and UMASS basketball only would be awesome additions. Maybe the AAC could guarantee UMASS a certain number of football games ever year.

When the football playoffs goes to 8 it will increase the value of AAC football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The radio host is right our football team is a joke and needs to be downgraded forever. Go back to the Big East so we can be in a geographically better conference. End of story.
Joining the Big East and dropping football will be an incredibly stupid move for UConn, in ten years non P5 basketball teams will be facing the same problems that non P5 football teams are facing now. The Big East is a dieing conference, as Dave Gavitt said many years ago the Big East Catholic basketball only schools will rue the day for voting against adding Penn State in football and all other sports. UConn basketball actually will need UConn FBS football going forward if it wants stay on the national stage. People clamoring for dropping football or going back to FCS do not have a clue. If Nova basketball wants to survive in the coming years they need to as has been discussed for years to finally upgrade their very good football program to FBS and apply to the AAC for membership.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We get it. You dont like football. What did you you say about UCF football when they went 0-13 not that many years ago? Should they have shut down football?
Last year many were calling them the real national champs over Alabama when they were 13-0. Things can change in a very short time.
What did you say when we beat ND in football?
Did you go to the Michigan game? It was electric and we had a great shot at winning. Also had a shot at winning at Michigan too.

Of course it was. We were playing at night.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Dropping football to join the C7 is outrageously stupid. The new Big Least is turning into Nova and the nobodies, buried on Fox, dying a slow death as AAC basketball gains on them every year and will soon pass them in the pecking order. No thanks, UCONN should stay in the same conference it has been in since 1979 until a better offer comes our way not a worse one.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing the AAC add two more basketball only schools, VCU and UMASS basketball only would be awesome additions. Maybe the AAC could guarantee UMASS a certain number of football games ever year.

When the football playoffs goes to 8 it will increase the value of AAC football.

I'm on board with the AAC (though my post history during the bitter end of last season may have had me clamoring for an end to football) but the absolute last thing this league needs is more mouths to feed.

UMass? They've made what 1 tournament in 20 seasons? We should work with the 12 we have and go from there

Reaction Score
Good post.

We can all debate whether or not Les Miles will be successful at Kansas. He may be; he may not be. Honestly, that's not the most important aspect to Kansas' CR profile. What is most important - and UConn & UConn fans struggle to realize this time and time again - is that Kansas is making a very significant statement that they want to win football games. Will they? Who knows. But hiring Miles and putting $300M towards a football stadium/facility reno project is a very serious commitment to football and something that will not go unnoticed by the Old Money Club, should Kansas' spot in a P5/P4 world come into question.

In my opinion, I think Kansas will be Texas' eventual +1 to go the B1G at the next CR cycle...not Oklahoma. Kansas is AAU, their hoops program is a top 5-10 (plus Naismith history), and this investment in football is HUGE. Would make for a better geographic fit for Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. And God forbid that their investment in Miles and the stadium/facility expansion actually nets results (wins). They'd easily leapfrog Oklahoma, who is not AAU.

But you'll have to excuse me, I have to go back to arguing with supposed UConn fans who think dropping football to cement ourselves to a small private Catholic school basketball conference is a good idea. Head bang

Many whine about not making the cut when the B1G took Rutgers and ACC went Louisville.

I was the lonely soul watching Rutgers upgrading the High Point (or whatever they call it) and Louisville showing unbelievable muni malfeasance in their PapaJohn & YUM capital expenditures. But ... that ... my friends ... was the bell ringing/the gate open for the race to the Approval: we had new Rentschler but a fundraising push to get to 50,000 and other more simple things than LOUISVILLE or RUTGERS did could have made a difference. That, is the essence to what this Kansas AD is articulating.

And that AAU designation? Everyone talks academics; then Louisville got raised up. And the academics won't prohibit the lesser schools to UCONN (Memphis, UCF, USF etc) from being considered.

It is a crazy mixed up world; we need to fix Football.

Then, the talk about dropping football ... like Tampa or Long Beach or Pacific (even Northeastern, BU, Hofstra): Guess what - none of those schools are profiled like this State Flagship. 45 schools have upgraded since 1994. Are they all dumb? Maybe year to year deficits (when you already have the infrastructure of a major P5 type) is not the argument you should spout.

Reaction Score
I don't get the desire to return to The Big East Conference. I really don't. It is no longer the Big East Conference of old. It is a private school conference made up of 9/10 Catholic Universities spread from RI to Nebraska. UConn does not fit in this league. Sacrificing any P5 Future to join this is entirely small minded.

Reaction Score
I don't get the desire to return to The Big East Conference. I really don't. It is no longer the Big East Conference of old. It is a private school conference made up of 9/10 Catholic Universities spread from RI to Nebraska. UConn does not fit in this league. Sacrificing any P5 Future to join this is entirely small minded.
Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If we drop football from FBS, we become the University of New Hampshire.

Reaction Score
If you ask me, and you haven't, I think he desires to see UCONN athletics forced into irrelevancy and/or obscurity. Never to be heard from again.
Not only him but his twin brother "buddy" have been leading the drop football
Couldn't agree more with your post. The Big East actually needs UConn much much more than UConn needs the Big East. It's a dieing conference. Several years down the road if you're a high profile basketball program, if you are not in a P5 conference you will not be able to compete on that national stage. Programs like Villanova, St John's, and Georgetown, will see their rankings get lower and lower, despite having great seasons or even going undefeated, much like UCF in football now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom