Conference Realignment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment

Reaction Score
Posters here may not like what he has to say (me included), but unfortunately he has been often correct in his posts. He is affiliated with FSU and thus is as protective of them as we are of UConn. He began to post after FSU led the drive to get Louisville into the ACC over UConn. For whatever reason, he feels a need to be a member here. We may not like to hear what he say, but is always beneficial to hear things from a different perspective.

Reaction Score
We got people around the country who get hold of the stupid ideas that come up here. I read of a North Carolina radio host saying we should go FCS in football and join the Big East? We got some real imbeciles around here (hello, @nelsonmuntz). It's clear we have fans who are weaker than water. Players are going to want to play for us now. Glorious.

Now we're going to have to refer to Yale's history more when recruits visit. Ivy alumni have something called fortitude. Brown still has an athletic department.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We got people around the country who get hold of the stupid ideas that come up here. I read of a North Carolina radio host saying we should go FCS in football and join the Big East? We got some real imbeciles around here (hello, @nelsonmuntz). It's clear we have fans who are weaker than water. Players are going to want to play for us now. Glorious.

Now we're going to have to refer to Yale's history more when recruits visit. Ivy alumni have something called fortitude.

The radio host is right our football team is a joke and needs to be downgraded forever. Go back to the Big East so we can be in a geographically better conference. End of story.

Reaction Score
The radio host is right our football team is a joke and needs to be downgraded forever. Go back to the Big East so we can be in a geographically better conference. End of story.
Are you an alum of UConn? And were you born before 1995?

Reaction Score
Are we expecting college football's power to diminish sometime soon?

If not, then why do some keep talking about quitting? Why can't we focus on Buffalo's successful turnaround, for example, and get back on the track we were on in 2010? They're in a weaker league in an area that has worse weather than CT and yet have been able to recruit athletes that look far bigger and stronger than UConn and did it with a good hire. They didn't go the safe route (P, D and now E) but instead boldly chose a head coach who was a winner from a lower division who has seemingly transformed them.

There was a rebroadcast (two hour summary version) of the UConn/OK Fiesta Bowl that I stumbled on last night midway through the third quarter. Watched some of it and was almost shocked to see Frey's tremendous speed and the physical size of our players on defense compared to this year. In the secondary, Blidi-Wreh looked like a man, as did our other players, and they may not have been as fast and talented as OK but they knew how to tackle and take the right path to make those tackles. Why should that be so hard to replicate if we have the right staff?

Compare that to this year's team and it makes me think Edsall panicked himself into playing guys who never should have seen the field this year. Maybe he thought he had better players and that he could show progress with his own recruits, but he could have gone 1-11 with all the holdovers. There's no shortcuts unless you start to cut corners on eligibility or you're the young Nick Saban.

Reaction Score
Are we expecting college football's power to diminish sometime soon?

If not, then why do some keep talking about quitting? Why can't we focus on Buffalo's successful turnaround, for example, and get back on the track we were on in 2010? They're in a weaker league in an area that has worse weather than CT and yet have been able to recruit athletes that look far bigger and stronger than UConn and did it with a good hire. They didn't go the safe route (P, D and now E) but instead boldly chose a head coach who was a winner from a lower division who has seemingly transformed them.

There was a rebroadcast (two hour summary version) of the UConn/OK Fiesta Bowl that I stumbled on last night midway through the third quarter. Watched some of it and was almost shocked to see Frey's tremendous speed and the physical size of our players on defense compared to this year. In the secondary, Blidi-Wreh looked like a man, as did our other players, and they may not have been as fast and talented as OK but they knew how to tackle and take the right path to make those tackles. Why should that be so hard to replicate if we have the right staff?

Compare that to this year's team and it makes me think Edsall panicked himself into playing guys who never should have seen the field this year. Maybe he thought he had better players and that he could show progress with his own recruits, but he could have gone 1-11 with all the holdovers. There's no shortcuts unless you start to cut corners on eligibility or you're the young Nick Saban.
All it takes is a solid coach. We have some really stupid "fans".

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

If you want UConn to abandon the P5 quest, you’re not a UConn fan.

Your position is the one taken by people who hate UConn athletics and want us to fade into oblivion.

Reaction Score
If you want UConn to abandon the P5 quest, you’re not a UConn fan.

Your position is the one taken by people who hate UConn athletics and want us to fade into oblivion.

I just hate our joke of a football program that ruined got us into this god awful conference for basketball. I am a UConn basketball fan that is the most important thing.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I just hate our joke of a football program that ruined got us into this god awful conference for basketball. I am a UConn basketball fan that is the most important thing.

No true UConn basketball “fan” should want us to be in the NBE long-term unless there are literally zero other options. Would you want UConn basketball to drop down to D2? That’s what the equivalent will be.

Reaction Score
No true UConn basketball “fan” should want us to be in the NBE long-term unless there are literally zero other options. Would you want UConn basketball to drop down to D2? That’s what the equivalent will be.

The NBE has won 2 of the 3 last national championships for D1. If that's a D2 conference I'll take it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The NBE has won 2 of the 3 last national championships for D1. If that's a D2 conference I'll take it.

Do you ever think about the future when you make decisions?

NBE schools will not be eligible for the same championship as P5 schools down the road. Why any UConn fan would settle for competing below the top tier escapes me.

The NBE is a ticking time bomb. Stop living in the past.

Reaction Score
Do you ever think about the future when you make decisions?

NBE schools will not be eligible for the same championship as P5 schools down the road. Why any UConn fan would settle for competing below the top tier escapes me.

The NBE is a ticking time bomb. Stop living in the past.

Do you have a crystal ball that shows the power 5 is going to break off? It's time to face facts the football team will never help us get into a P5 anyway, that's a fact. The football team is embarrassing, that's fact.
We need to stop living on a dream that is never going to happen.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Do you have a crystal ball that shows the power 5 is going to break off? It's time to face facts the football team will never help us get into a P5 anyway, that's a fact. The football team is embarrassing, that's fact.

Yeah, it’s called following college sports and observing that every collective action the P5 takes is geared around a split.

Without a football team, the door to the P5 is closed forever. Nobody who wants to close that door before someone else closes it for us is an actual UConn fan.

Again, you’re not a UConn fan if you want the athletic department to give up and resign itself to lower-tier competition.

Reaction Score
Besides Nova, name a non FBS level school that has won the NCAA B.B. championship in the past 15 years. Going back even further, you need to go to the 1980’s except for Uconn in 1999. Those are facts.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Besides Nova, name a non FBS level school that has won the NCAA B.B. championship in the past 15 years. Going back even further, you need to go to the 1980’s except for Uconn in 1999. Those are facts.

Nova also hit their absolute high water mark as a program in doing so, and this season shows that what they had may not be sustainable.

This doesn’t even get into how mediocre the conference is outside of them (and arguably Xavier - although with Mack gone...).

Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s called following college sports and observing that every collective action the P5 takes is geared around a split.

Without a football team, the door to the P5 is closed forever. Nobody who wants to close that door before someone else closes it for us is an actual UConn fan.

Again, you’re not a UConn fan if you want the athletic department to give up and resign itself to lower-tier competition.

So I should take your observations as facts? I guess watching that an embarrassment of football you didn't observe very well then. I think closing the door early is smart so we don't get put into a situation where we lose out again, no P5 is taking the football program as is and it's not going to get better ever. That's a fact.

Reaction Score
So I should take your observations as facts? I guess watching that an embarrassment of football you didn't observe very well then. I think closing the door early is smart so we don't get put into a situation where we lose out again, no P5 is taking the football program as is and it's not going to get better ever. That's a fact.
No that's an opinion. The program has been better and must improve from where its at.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not really, for the reasons that have been discussed her ad nauseum.

In breif, for us to compete with the other major schools we need to play football as the P5 (a football term) is where the money is. Otherwise we will eventually be priced out of decent coaches and competitive facilities for all sports. Yes, that includes basketball.

Yeah football struggled this year playing virtually all underclassmen on defense. It was a painful investment in the future.

Quick question were you stumping for basketball to be shut down last year? It had it's second straight losing season and set a school record for twenty point losses.

"The way things are is the way they will always be" is the refuge of tiny minds.

Reaction Score
Yeah class of 2010 and born in 1986.
Ok, then you should know what UConn has set as goals. The Big East in no way whatsoever contributes to that. All that is expected of us is a competent football program. Unfortunately, your post graduate run has been horrible. Otherwise, we have a respectable history and are working to maintain it. All we need is a head coach. Randy Edsall just might not be the right one. Look at what Temple is now. Forward thinking. They don't give up and have more reason to do so than us. Same as for many other AAC members. Difference, we have spoiled babies, they have resilient minded fanbases. Including USF and Cinci. We have the only one who act like spoiled kids.

FWIW, I graduated in 97, 2 years before we went FBS. Plenty of great moments up till the Michigan game. And the win over Houston with Dikko.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Screw that. You don’t care one bit about UConn athletics. It’s an embarrassment to this school that you claim to be a UConn fan.

“Closing the door early is smart?” You’re a BC, Cuse, or Pitt fan here in disguise. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Reaction Score
We get it. You dont like football. What did you you say about UCF football when they went 0-13 not that many years ago? Should they have shut down football?
Last year many were calling them the real national champs over Alabama when they were 13-0. Things can change in a very short time.
What did you say when we beat ND in football?
Did you go to the Michigan game? It was electric and we had a great shot at winning. Also had a shot at winning at Michigan too.

Reaction Score
You argue about not predicting the future, then predict UConn football can't win, and will never win.
Do you see the flaw in your logic? I do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom