Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, it doesn't. The money we get from CBS isn't enough to make you do something stupid. It's not like Fox telling the Big East to do something stupid.

Well he at least needs to tread lightly which is what he is doing.

Reaction Score
I have news for you. To play NMSU, you fly into El Paso, then drive @ 30 miles north to Las Cruces, the last 2 miles through a seemingly never ending dairy farm ranch. By the time you get there, the interior of your vehicle is saturated with the smell of manure.
So like driving through Ellington?

Reaction Score
I’ve really liked our first schedule as an independent: we’ve had four local games and a sprinkling of random games on top of that.

Joining the C-USA will ruin that, especially since there seems to be a consensus here that scheduling Yale and UMass as much as possible is a good move as long as the football program is where it’s at.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
LOL, believe me being linked to CUSA, even fleetingly, does not enhance our brand value.
I agree- it would enhance UMass though.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Only way this happens is if there's TV money to be had. I just don't see it with that line-up.
500K now minus 400K in the crap league

Reaction Score
CBS pays UConn $500k a year for football and CUSA schools $400k a year for all sports.
There would be a monetary benefit since the CFB playoff payout would go from I believe $300k as an independent to $1.3 million but it ain't worth an extra million for the host of reasons already discussed here plus an extra million for a billion dollar state flagship public university just doesn't move the needle.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
That's what people like you used to say about the basketball program back in the 70s.
Brother had seasons tickets from 06-16, went ND, Michigan and Navy, multiple bowl games and booster dinners, people like you need to embrace reality! I’ll always watch them and root for them but at some point we have to be honest with ourselves about what’s coming down the pike, I’d much rather watch them play in a conference with teams on their level then go to Clemson and get their arces handed to them!! Doesn’t seem like much fun.. just saying

Reaction Score
Brother had seasons tickets from 06-16, went ND, Michigan and Navy, multiple bowl games and booster dinners, people like you need to embrace reality! I’ll always watch them and root for them but at some point we have to be honest with ourselves about what’s coming down the pike, I’d much rather watch them play in a conference with teams on their level then go to Clemson and get their arces handed to them!! Doesn’t seem like much fun.. just saying
The inability to see past the immediate horizon leaves most people standing at the shore.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It appears that you may not realize that you are reinforcing his point.

I remember being at a men's hoops game at the civic center (I believe early January 1985) when we had just gotten our backsides handed to us at Georgetown (lost by ~ 45 points), listening to other fans tell me that Perno wasn't the problem, that no coach could win here against schools like Georgetown, St John's, Syracuse, Nova, BC, how we needed to accept that playing at level similar to the Yankee conference, with the other New England schools was where we belonged and that we were lucky to have someone who was as important to the school's history as Perno coaching the team.

Those people thought I was wrong when I said that the right coach could have us competing with the better schools in the conference and accomplishing close to what they could accomplish. The truth is I was wrong. After bringing in the right coach we were able to accomplish far more than the better schools in the conference could dream of.

I don't know if the right coach in football can have us doing what Fickell (after a succession of good hires) has Cincinnati doing but I am very confident that we can find a coach who can take us further than RE v1.0 took us.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
It appears that you may not realize that you are reinforcing his point.

I remember being at a men's hoops game at the civic center (I believe early January 1985) when we had just gotten our backsides handed to us at Georgetown (lost by ~ 45 points), listening to other fans tell me that Perno wasn't the problem, that no coach could win here against schools like Georgetown, St John's, Syracuse, Nova, BC, how we needed to accept that playing at level similar to the Yankee conference, with the other New England schools was where we belonged and that we were lucky to have someone who was as important to the school's history as Perno coaching the team.

Those people thought I was wrong when I said that the right coach could have us competing with the better schools in the conference and accomplishing close to what they could accomplish. The truth is I was wrong. After bringing in the right coach we were able to accomplish far more than the better schools in the conference could dream of.

I don't know if the right coach in football can have us doing what Fickell (after a succession of good hires) has Cincinnati doing but I am very confident that we can find a coach who can take us further than RE v1.0 took us.
Tommy miss the hang in section 241,but man i’m drained from all these beat downs it’s so old

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
The inability to see past the immediate horizon leaves most people standing at the shore.
Problem is the horizon is 3 galaxies away

Reaction Score
Um, that’s news. Please explain.
It is news.. it’s old news. Dave wanted to move basketball ( I'm not sure about some other sports ) to the big east and keep football and the rest in the AAC and Mike Aresco said that wasn’t happening, so Dave made the decision to go independent. Aresco wanted the basketball team to stay put and Dave had other plans with the basketball program.

Reaction Score
The problem is CBS, if they want to keep the conference alive and are pushing UCONN to join, it puts Benedict in a tough spot.
I look at it the other way ( the schedules Matt from UconnSN mentioned ), CBS is getting rights to some P-5 teams and better brands for about $500K a year:
2027 HOME slate:
Ole Miss
North Carolina
Syracuse
Army
Temple

In what world is does CBS want to trade those rights and pay Uconn $400K so they can instead televise em' in C-USA to play:
WKU
NMSU
Etc?

Last edited:

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
It’s not happening, but the fact that we are even mentioned in this group is really quite sad and shows how far we have fallen. I do believe there is a chance for recovery but the time is now. This next hire is so critical for the football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom