Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its UConn being diplomatic. This is as close to an “aw hell no!” as you’re going to get in this situation
That's the way I read it. The group running this conference are about to lose their jobs. They're in scramble mode calling any and all parties before it implodes. Dave's already said he likes his position in the current CR climate and it certainly wasn't to join what's as bad a conference geographically and worst than the one he just got of, that forces Uconn to take "bi-annual trips" to these places.

That being said he can't just tell them to take a hike as a FBS Indy when he may need a few of these schools periodicly to fill wholes in the schedule that makes sense. See the Florida H & H/s vs. FIU ( 4 games- 2022,23,25,27) and MTSU they just played. And especially with all the schedule changes because of the current musical chairs. So yeah you probably don't hang up on them and tell them we're to good for ya, IMHO

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I enjoy being independent and am not interested in C-USA.

I believe they reached out to us.

However, if we are smart we listen and formulate a plan that may work for us.

We would only join C-USA under the following conditions:

1. It is a true football-only conference: no horse-trading for OOC basketball games.

2. UMass and Army join with us.

3. C-USA only has a 6-game conference schedule: 4 in division, 2 against other division.

4. We play in an eastern division of Army, UMass, Liberty, and FIU.

Our prospective schedule:

1. Duke
2. @ Syracuse
3. Boston College
4. @ Wake Forest
5. @Army
6. UNC
7. NMSU
8. @ LaTech
9. FIU
10. @ Liberty
11. @ Syracuse
12. UMass
Where are C-USA games broadcast because I don't think they're all on linear TV

Reaction Score
As in any business endeavor, what goes around comes around in college athletics. A desperate conference calls you up and asks for a meeting. They want to explore the topic of college sports realignment. Do you take the call? Absolutely! Everyone needs friends in this life and as few enemies as possible. You would be a uno what to refuse. I assume after a suitable period UConn will get back to them and politely decline as graciously as possible giving some pretty compelling reasons not to move forward. Meanwhile, the conference that reached out, desperate to keep some shred of viability alive as they are being decimated by defections, leaks the fact that they have been talking to UConn.

Bottom line, I would not over-react.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Looking back at being left out of Conference realignment when ESPN wanted us and BC and Cuse and Pitt, et al basically worked against us, it was claimed that UConn was "arrogant" behind the scenes with all our athletic success. Even the lawsuit, we got blamed for it. I never took much stock in the claim, but maybe there was some truth to it. Maybe we have learned to be humble and work with other institutions better. If so, AD David Benedict handled this well.

Reaction Score
UCONN is Independent so it should talk to everyone at any time any where. It's just talk and I'm sure it's a No.

“It’s our duty to consider options when they are presented to us and we’re always going to do what is in the best interest of our football program,” athletic director David Benedict said Thursday night. “Period.”

What if C-USA did something radical just to keep alive, such as a football only conference:

UCONN
UMass
Army
Navy
Liberty
NMSU

FIU
Marshall
MTSU
Louisiana Tech
WKU
UTEP
Only Way Navy leaves the AAC is to be independent again. Army has openly said it does not want to join a conference ever again. UMass isn't even in consideration for addition to CUSA. No way CUSA is going to be able to do that. They got embarrassed by the Sun Belt in realignment. CUSA is going to fold once the schools leave for the AAC.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Their contract ends in 2023. So it would be up in the air.
I can't see an island-of-misfit toys conference like that potential C-USA with a few FCS teams, us, UMass, and Liberty (barf) having a contract that gets them on national TV ever. ESPNoooze would be the best we can hope for.

Reaction Score
What is the Sunbelt too good for us now?

All kidding aside, I honestly think this is a move by AD Dave to leverage more TV money out of CBS for football.
The current deal ends in 2023 but it has two 2-year network options on it that could take it out to 2027. CBSSN has all the leverage at this point.

Reaction Score
That's the way I read it. The group running this conference are about to lose their jobs. They're in scramble mode calling any and all parties before it implodes. Dave's already said he likes his position in the current CR climate and it certainly wasn't to join what's as bad a conference geographically and worst than the one he just got of, that forces Uconn to take "bi-annual trips" to these places.

That being said he can't just tell them to take a hike as a FBS Indy when he may need a few of these schools periodicly to fill wholes in the schedule that makes sense. See the Florida H & H/s vs. FIU ( 4 games- 2022,23,25,27) and MTSU they just played. And especially with all the schedule changes because of the current musical chairs. So yeah you probably don't hang up on them and tell them we're to good for ya, IMHO
After the last decade, I don't believe UCONN football is too good for anybody. Followers of the program (I am one, with season tickets) tend to over rate the importance / viability of the program. We have become an outlier. An independent with no bowl affiliation. Our big win was holding on to beat Yale. With ongoing conference realignment, maybe scheduling becomes more difficult. Maybe building a winning program in a "lesser" conference is our best option.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
is there some way we could have our cake and eat it too? i.e. maximize benefits of a conference (all-conference status for players, bowl eligibility, some scheduling stability) while keeping the benefits of independence (big time games on TV and scheduling independence, revenue from road games, our TV deal, good recruiting because of the former 3)? i am all the way out on C-USA but i don't mind examining raking some desperate conference over the coals to get these

Reaction Score
is there some way we could have our cake and eat it too? i.e. maximize benefits of a conference (all-conference status for players, bowl eligibility, some scheduling stability) while keeping the benefits of independence (big time games on TV and scheduling independence, revenue from road games, our TV deal, good recruiting because of the former 3)? i am all the way out on C-USA but i don't mind examining raking some desperate conference over the coals to get these
No. We have the perfect situation at the moment. Get a coach people take seriously, start winning and stay with CBS. There is no appealing option that is on a level below the B12. At the moment we don't need a conference. Lets win some games and then see what opportunities exist in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
The current deal ends in 2023 but it has two 2-year network options on it that could take it out to 2027. CBSSN has all the leverage at this point.
I honestly hope we stay with CBSSN. I enjoy coverage. And there commentators are some of the best. They don't poo poo on UConn for being bad. They do pretty fair analysis in game and so much more enjoyable than anyone on ESPN (outside of Herbstreit and Orlovsky).

Reaction Score
You all are missing another key point...

The fact that AD David Benedict said ANYTHING to the press acknowledging this phone call is as big of a no thanks as he could give.

When was the last time any AD, considering a conference move, ever made a statement to the press that wasn't "No comment?"

NEVER!

This isn't happening. I don't believe UConn ever considered this to be "happening," nor did they "negotiate" anything, nor did they "consider" anything. CUSA cold-called AD David Benedict, had a general discussion then ran to the press with a grossly inflated account of what happened. It would not shock me if AD David Benedict was caught off-guard by the original article due to it being such a complete mischaracterization of their discussion.

Reaction Score
No. We have the perfect situation at the moment. Get a coach people take seriously, start winning and stay with CBS. There is no appealing option that is on a level below the B12. At the moment we don't need a conference. Lets win some games and then see what opportunities exist in a couple of years.
The situation is not perfect, but it's stable. For the reasons you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Why are we acting like we are too good for CUSA?

The MAC will not take us football only we are not good enough. We are not going to be the next BYU as independent. The only reason these good teams are scheduling us is because were an FCS level opponent that gives them credit for an FBS win. Once we at all become good nobody will want to play us.. why not join this conference, try to string together some winning seasons then try to jump ship to the MAC or something?

There are some people here who would be more embarrassed about joining CUSA than canceling an entire football season for no reason. That's insane.
Because we damn well are better than CUSA, that's why.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Somebody tell me a single plus to this move if It happens.

We kick out the other 5 teams and attract better ones. Other than that, what in the ever livingF are they thinking. Here's the converstion.

UConn: "Can you commit to a $10M/year payout?"

CUSA: "no."

UConn: "Call back when you can"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members