Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN is Independent so it should talk to everyone at any time any where. It's just talk and I'm sure it's a No.

“It’s our duty to consider options when they are presented to us and we’re always going to do what is in the best interest of our football program,” athletic director David Benedict said Thursday night. “Period.”

What if C-USA did something radical just to keep alive, such as a football only conference:

UCONN
UMass
Army
Navy
Liberty
NMSU

FIU
Marshall
MTSU
Louisiana Tech
WKU
UTEP

Reaction Score
@Kolumbo why would Navy switch conferences for that?
I doubt it would. But someone should at least propose it and let Navy say no. On the upside, half the conference is East Coast. We'll even throw Temple a bone.

Reaction Score
I doubt it would. But someone should at least propose it and let Navy say no. On the upside, half the conference is East Coast. We'll even throw Temple a bone.
They would definitely so no. They want to play in Texas every year.

Reaction Score
UCONN is Independent so it should talk to everyone at any time any where. It's just talk and I'm sure it's a No.

“It’s our duty to consider options when they are presented to us and we’re always going to do what is in the best interest of our football program,” athletic director David Benedict said Thursday night. “Period.”

What if C-USA did something radical just to keep alive, such as a football only conference:

UCONN
UMass
Army
Navy
Liberty
NMSU

FIU
Marshall
MTSU
Louisiana Tech
WKU
UTEP

There can’t be a football only conference in FBS without a rule change.

Reaction Score
If there is even a minute of consideration for this in Storrs, everyone in the AD needs to go. Seriously, if there is any truth to this, what are they doing up there?
This entire AD has been floundering since the collapse of the Old Big East. It's been a decade and they still haven't figured out which way is up.

Reaction Score
Negotiating power with whom?
Presumably with CUSA. My point was that there's nothing to negotiate unless we could score the greatest conference deal of all time. Hence my sarcastic 90% revenue and all primetime games comment

Reaction Score
Why are we acting like we are too good for CUSA?

The MAC will not take us football only we are not good enough. We are not going to be the next BYU as independent. The only reason these good teams are scheduling us is because were an FCS level opponent that gives them credit for an FBS win. Once we at all become good nobody will want to play us.. why not join this conference, try to string together some winning seasons then try to jump ship to the MAC or something?

There are some people here who would be more embarrassed about joining CUSA than canceling an entire football season for no reason. That's insane.

Reaction Score
If we are trying to model BYU ( had success as a independent ), the words of Benedict, then I doubt we’re going to C-USA.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Personally I believe what happened is AD Dave took the call, was cordial and non-committal. No more, no less.

It is highly unlikely that we would join that conference for football (and would never join for any other sport) but we also don't want to make enemies, especially as we don't know how difficult scheduling as an independent will become once the new configurations are in place.

Six months from now filling out schedules three, four, five years down the road may become easier than today or it may become near impossible. Until we have a better understanding of that we will need as many allies as possible. Summarily dismissing what would be an entire conference of potential scheduling partners because we are 'offended' that they would view our esteemed football program as a 'peer' won't help us.

Reaction Score
UConn AD's press awareness when it comes to realignment sucks so bad. There's no getting around it. It sucked with the winners going to win weird stuff, to Enright's buffoonery, now a rumor that UConn is even considering a conference that just lost Western Kentucky, hangs out there and yet we're inclined to offer platitudes towards it. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Reaction Score
Wow. Those are some attractive rivalries..... Nearest opposing school 1,000 miles away?

Reaction Score
UConn AD's press awareness when it comes to realignment sucks so bad. There's no getting around it. It sucked with the winners going to win weird stuff, to Enright's buffoonery, now a rumor that UConn is even considering a conference that just lost Western Kentucky, hangs out there and yet we're inclined to offer platitudes towards it. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
May need to schedule some of these cusa schools in the future. No need to burn bridges unnecessarily

Reaction Score
Wow. Those are some attractive rivalries..... Nearest opposing school 1,000 miles away?
plays Purdue, Wyoming, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee, Clemson, UCF, Houston, and Fresno State

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I enjoy being independent and am not interested in C-USA.

I believe they reached out to us.

However, if we are smart we listen and formulate a plan that may work for us.

We would only join C-USA under the following conditions:

1. It is a true football-only conference: no horse-trading for OOC basketball games.

2. UMass and Army join with us.

3. C-USA only has a 6-game conference schedule: 4 in division, 2 against other division.

4. We play in an eastern division of Army, UMass, Liberty, and FIU.

Our prospective schedule:

1. Duke
2. @ Syracuse
3. Boston College
4. @ Wake Forest
5. @Army
6. UNC
7. NMSU
8. @ LaTech
9. FIU
10. @ Liberty
11. @ Syracuse
12. UMass

Reaction Score
I enjoy being independent and am not interested in C-USA.

I believe they reached out to us.

However, if we are smart we listen and formulate a plan that may work for us.

We would only join C-USA under the following conditions:

1. It is a true football-only conference: no horse-trading for OOC basketball games.

2. UMass and Army join with us.

3. C-USA only has a 6-game conference schedule: 4 in division, 2 against other division.

4. We play in an eastern division of Army, UMass, Liberty, and FIU.

Our prospective schedule:

1. Duke
2. @ Syracuse
3. Boston College
4. @ Wake Forest
5. @Army
6. UNC
7. NMSU
8. @ LaTech
9. FIU
10. @ Liberty
11. @ Syracuse
12. UMass
No that’s too much for me. Best I’m willing to do is an informal scheduling alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom