Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think Big Ten will come sniffing around....UConn will need to step up it's FB program

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I believe the Notre Dame like response would be, UConn values it's football independence and currently have no plans to join a conference.

It's OK to be nice ti these programs. We've been there and may wish to schedule games with them in the future. CFB you know is built on relationships.

That said, time for them to stop floating us as a future member and get their stuff together.

I have to think they are worried about their other sports. FB independence would be a better option for the remaining teams than pulling in FCS programs. Has to pay more.

Reaction Score
Until UConn has AAU accreditation, there is nothing to discuss with the Big Ten.
I agree the Big Ten is a long shot now. I think if we ever join a conference it will be the ACC or a joining a mix of ACC remnants that were left out when the big brands of the ACC leave to join up with other big boys (a la what just happened with TX & OK) -- 5 to 10 years down the line. Won't be top tier in football, but just a notch below. I would assume that would mean rejoining some of our historical rivals, plus some of the tobacco roadies -- something even the hoop-centric of us could embrace.

That's why football has to become relevant, and soon.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree the Big Ten is a long shot now. I think if we ever join a conference it will be the ACC or a joining a mix of ACC remnants that were left out when the big brands of the ACC leave to join up with other big boys (a la what just happened with TX & OK) -- 5 to 10 years down the line. Won't be top tier in football, but just a notch below. I would assume that would mean rejoining some of our historical rivals, plus some of the tobacco roadies -- something even the hoop-centric of us could embrace.

Fully agree. Don't be surprised if UNC and VA to B1G in 10 years in FSU and Clemson to SEC. Us and WVU are probably the backfills.

Reaction Score
Seems possible especially now that the Big 12 might be the best BB conference.

Reaction Score
Seems possible especially now that the Big 12 might be the best BB conference.
People seem to think that adding schools with good programs to a conference means they will still be good after they join the conference. The problem is when conferences add schools, some schools will lose and it will be harder to maintain their success.

Reaction Score
Until UConn has AAU accreditation, there is nothing to discuss with the Big Ten.
By any metric, UConn has lost ground in the past decade towards attaining AAU status. There are too many schools in front of UConn that are doing all of the right things. Quite tautological, but AAU status is as far away as a Big 10 invite. In ad ideal world, Utah's admission would provide a road map for UConn, but unfortunately it is not a road that UConn is capable of going down.

Reaction Score
People seem to think that adding schools with good programs to a conference means they will still be good after they join the conference. The problem is when conferences add schools, some schools will lose and it will be harder to maintain their success.
Also schools tend toward the conference mean. Not even considering coaches change. When they went to the ACC, Miami and VaTech were top 5 programs. How’s that working out? Plus some programs that looked dominant playing modest competition week in week out struggle with playing better teams every week. Would Clemson be as dominant playing an SEC schedule or even a Big 10 one rather than the weaker ACC?

Reaction Score
They haven't been good since Frost took over- yet they still draw 80000 to each home game. Very loyal fanbase
Nebraska football was king for a while. They really struggle recruiting now without a Texas presence. Hard to see a path back to glory for them, but they had 2 solid coaches they sent packing in Solich and Pelini. When you have something working, maybe hang on to it.

Reaction Score

Yes. In the next 20 years, certainly, the Big Ten will do better in realignment than the ACC. Our best hope for football (beyond — you know — winning games) is that the Big Ten takes UNC and UVA from the ACC, and we back fill in there.

Reaction Score
By any metric, UConn has lost ground in the past decade towards attaining AAU status. There are too many schools in front of UConn that are doing all of the right things. Quite tautological, but AAU status is as far away as a Big 10 invite. In ad ideal world, Utah's admission would provide a road map for UConn, but unfortunately it is not a road that UConn is capable of going down.
Since most of us know more about football and basketball than AAU status, what was Utah able to do that we can’t or won’t?

Reaction Score
Florida has rednecks? Not in my neck of the palm trees... :)
Parts of Florida are really an extension of NY. You can get the NY Times on Sunday morning with no delay. In the panhandle and other places, not so much.

Reaction Score
Please explain this. The only major barrier, as I understand it, is the level of externally funded research. And that problem is rapidly on its way to solution with Jackson Labs. No?

Reaction Score

From Matt Brown of Extra Points:

This is my educated guess on where things stand with UConn.

On Friday, The Athletic reported that C-USA was in negotiations with New Mexico State, Liberty and UConn. UConn officials were quick to push back on that report, saying that while they two sides had exploratory talks, it would not be accurate to call them negotiations. Social media response from UConn fans about the potential move was....very negative.

My theory here is that the Friday report came from Conference USA officials, hoping to project stability for their FCS targets. No FCS team is going to open themselves up to exit fees, increased expenses and short term-instability unless they feel very confident that they're reclassifying to join a strong, stable league. The best way to project that stability would be for C-USA's first expansion additions to be FBS, rather than FCS, institutions.

If that was the strategy, I think it backfired a bit. UConn fans made it quite clear that they would not want to join this league, and the Huskies later accepting an invite will not become more politically difficult, especially if that league includes Liberty (you can sell Liberty as a conference peer in Ruston, no problem. In Storrs? No.)

There is still interest among plenty of other schools in joining Conference USA. UMass has reached out about potentially joining as a football-only member. I'm told New Mexico State is interested, although they have not yet committed to anything. And while the FCS target pool has narrowed a bit over the last week, there are still multiple FCS programs, including Sam Houston, McNeese State, and Tarleton State, that would be interested in joining the league under the right circumstances.

I think it will be difficult, but perhaps not impossible, to get any FCS school to announce they are reclassifying unless the league already has commitments from enough other FBS institutions to ensure that the conference remains viable, at least in the short term.

Reaction Score
They may have lost their luster, but they are getting a nice paycheck from ESPN which I believe is being funded to a degree by CT taxpayers.
they are on the right side of the line. We are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom