Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They may have lost their luster, but they are getting a nice paycheck from ESPN which I believe is being funded to a degree by CT taxpayers.
Not really.

Reaction Score
Please explain this. The only major barrier, as I understand it, is the level of externally funded research. And that problem is rapidly on its way to solution with Jackson Labs. No?
I think that is correct.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
they give us 90% of the exit fees

who says no :cool:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

>“We want to try to align ourselves, whether we’re independent or in a conference, to something that is going to help us elevate our recruiting, elevate our fan interest and something that is going to provide an opportunity to compete at a high level,” Benedict said. “Part of that is obviously being able to schedule games that are geographically relevant. That helps you recruit. If you can recruit well, you can be competitive. If you recruit well and you’re competitive, then your fans come — especially if they recognize the opponents you are playing.”

Benedict has discussed with Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod the future of his football program and her conference. That’s it. There are no negotiations taking place. When the phone rings, Benedict answers and he will continue to. For athletic directors far and wide, this has been, and continues to be, a time of information gathering and preparation for whatever is around the corner.<

Say what you want about AD David Benedict but he gets it.

Reaction Score
they give us 90% of the exit fees

who says no :cool:
I wonder if the conference dissolves once they hit X teams remaining, therefore killing exit fees. I've heard this floated about other conferences in the past.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I wonder if the conference dissolves once they hit X teams remaining, therefore killing exit fees. I've heard this floated about other conferences in the past.
i think they have to vote to dissolve but teams who have indicated a preference to leave do not get a vote. i'm not a lawyer so they'll have to do a dive into their by-laws. if that's the case i'm sure the remaining teams have to at least consider a mighty chunk of change as incentive to keep the band together

Reaction Score
Since most of us know more about football and basketball than AAU status, what was Utah able to do that we can’t or won’t?
Keep in mind that everyone's favorite Buffalo resident will chime in, with a lot more knowledge than me, and what follows is mostly cribbed from memory:

Utah has its faculty produce more competitively funded federal research dollars. Much more.

There are 66 AAU members. 7 have been admitted in the last 20 years.
There are two phases that are indicators for membership: Phase 1 which is competitively funded research, membership in Nat'l Academies, faculty strength (awards, memberships, citations) and Phase 2 USDA, state and local funding, # of research doctoral degrees, # of science postdoc appointees and strength of undergrad education.

Based on 2019 data (UConn along with most universities saw a massive covid bump in fed gov research dollars in 2020 but this data isn't yet tabulated by the NSF):

There are 130 Very High Research, Tier 1 Universities. 93 are public, 37 private. The 130 who are not in the AAU are UConn's competitors. I won't go through all the metrics because the most important one, competitively funded research is where UConn lags, and has done nothing to improve over the past 10 years.

UConn ranks 84th in Total (Fed and Non-fed research dollars). This total includes the Phase 2 indicators, which are less important than the federal research dollars. This totaled $284M. Total Federal R&D were $159M. For AAU membership, the organization will look at the Federal Research Dollars divided by the number of faculty.

As point of comparison, Utah's Total R&D dollars were $601 M and Federal R&D $302. Utah has 1,215 faculty. $248,000 per faculty member. UConn has 1,537 faculty. $103,000 per faculty.

There are more than 30 schools currently ahead of UConn in FEDERAL Research and Development dollars normalized by faculty not in the AAU.

For a point of comparison, the University of Miami has $212 M in Fed R&D with 1126 faculty. $188,000 per faculty. You can pick a school, any school, and you'll come up with the same result-UConn lags big time in the most important metric. And with UConn's pension scheme, there needs to be real leadership devoted to this problem. But there hasn't been real leadership at UConn for a long time. Just excuses.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that everyone's favorite Buffalo resident will chime in, with a lot more knowledge than me, and what follows is mostly cribbed from memory:

Utah has its faculty produce more competitively funded federal research dollars. Much more.

There are 66 AAU members. 7 have been admitted in the last 20 years.
There are two phases that are indicators for membership: Phase 1 which is competitively funded research, membership in Nat'l Academies, faculty strength (awards, memberships, citations) and Phase 2 USDA, state and local funding, # of research doctoral degrees, # of science postdoc appointees and strength of undergrad education.

Based on 2019 data (UConn along with most universities saw a massive covid bump in fed gov research dollars in 2020 but this data isn't yet tabulated by the NSF):

There are 130 Very High Research, Tier 1 Universities. 93 are public, 37 private. The 130 who are not in the AAU are UConn's competitors. I won't go through all the metrics because the most important one, competitively funded research is where UConn lags, and has done nothing to improve over the past 10 years.

UConn ranks 84th in Total (Fed and Non-fed research dollars). This total includes the Phase 2 indicators, which are less important than the federal research dollars. This totaled $284M. Total Federal R&D were $159M. For AAU membership, the organization will look at the Federal Research Dollars divided by the number of faculty.

As point of comparison, Utah's Total R&D dollars were $601 M and Federal R&D $302. Utah has 1,215 faculty. $248,000 per faculty member. UConn has 1,537 faculty. $103,000 per faculty.

There are more than 30 schools currently ahead of UConn in FEDERAL Research and Development dollars normalized by faculty not in the AAU.

For a point of comparison, the University of Miami has $212 M in Fed R&D with 1126 faculty. $188,000 per faculty. You can pick a school, any school, and you'll come up with the same result-UConn lags big time in the most important metric. And with UConn's pension scheme, there needs to be real leadership devoted to this problem. But there hasn't been real leadership at UConn for a long time. Just excuses.
Thank you. Frankly, given the number of Presidents UConn has had over the last 20 years, and the short average tenure, lack of leadership is hardly surprising.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We
Thank you. Frankly, given the number of President's UConn has had over the last 20 years, and the short average tenure, lack of leadership is hardly surprising.
Yes-Thank you. Very interesting data.
3 University Presidents currently on the state payroll with a 4th to be named soon.

Reaction Score
We

Yes-Thank you. Very interesting data.
3 University Presidents currently on the state payroll with a 4th to be named soon.
Thomas Katsouleas, the most recent UConn president, had the knowhow and contacts to help UConn reach AAU status. But he wouldn't play politics with the Board of Trustees. He was former provost at UVA and dean of the engineering school at Duke. Hopefully, whoever follows him can lead UConn to the AAU. We also have Scott Cowen on our Board of Trustees. He was Tulane president and a former chair of the AAU. He has the knowhow how to get UConn elevated in the world of research universities. Is a UConn grad, too.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Gotta feel for UMass. I know they were pushing hard for an invite.
There's still room for them. At this point, C-USA has 7 schools. They still need an 8th all sports member and probably a 9th school for football-only.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There is something of Norma Desmond on this board. The faded forgotten silent film star clutches at the hope of restoring her stardom through the abysmal script she is writing. She is possessed of a false hope for she refuses to see the structural realities that time and circumstance had imposed. In the end, she commits murder rather than face the truth.

UConn has something of a Sophie's choice in this realignment chaos. It could join the remnant of C-USA where it would have a reasonable chance of being competitive. But this would admit the true state to which the football program has fallen. It could remain independent and brand itself as NE New Mexico State with better facilities. It would have a better schedule (for a while anyways) but would consign itself to being beaten by 30 points every week into perpetuity.

And this is where we return to Norma Desmond. The response will be "All we need is the right coach and we can free ourselves from this dilemma." The aging former filmstar desparately clutches at her script. She closes her eyes the structural problems any coach will face and will find incredibly difficult to overcome - not the least of which is a school that has deliberately prioritized basketball.

The insult of a C-USA invite may be keenly felt but it does represent the true state of UConn football. And make no mistake. This is exactly what the basketball mafia wanted. They wanted to castrate the program to vicariously punish football for the collapse of the Big East and to make sure football would never threaten basketball again. They won't admit it but they are quietly satisfied.

I assume that I will now end up like Joe Gillis - face down in the pool with three bullets in the back.
I'm giving you the like for somehow turning UConn football into Sunset Blvd. Well played.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Thomas Katsouleas, the most recent UConn president, had the knowhow and contacts to help UConn reach AAU status. But he wouldn't play politics with the Board of Trustees. He was former provost at UVA and dean of the engineering school at Duke. Hopefully, whoever follows him can lead UConn to the AAU. We also have Scott Cowen on our Board of Trustees. He was Tulane president and a former chair of the AAU. He has the knowhow how to get UConn elevated in the world of research universities. Is a UConn grad, too.
UConn will never be AAU. There are so many universities ahead of us in that matter. The northeast is tricky. While it is a strong public university in the northeast, there are 20-30 schools (mostly private) that are stronger academic institution within a 200 mile radius. Schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma don’t face a similar predicament. AAU will never happen here. It’s time to move on. Too many political reasons as well.

Reaction Score
Not to get this thread going again but in that report it does say this:

There also remains a possibility that FBS independents UConn and UMass could join the league as football-only members, sources said

Reaction Score
Not to get this thread going again but in that report it does say this:

There also remains a possibility that FBS independents UConn and UMass could join the league as football-only members, sources said.
It’s what you would expect CUSA to say…

…there is no doubt in my mind this was just another CUSA gift to McMurphy just like the story in the Atlantic was the other day.

Reaction Score
It’s what you would expect CUSA to say…

…there is no doubt in my mind this was just another CUSA gift to McMurphy just like the story in the Atlantic was the other day.
I would like to think that but this won't go away and UMass fans seem to think there is something here

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I still don’t want to do this, but at this point with the new look conference, any way that Temple would go Olympics in one conference and join UMass and ourselves as FO? Just trying to think of regional options to make this more palatable

Reaction Score
I would like to think that but this won't go away and UMass fans seem to think there is something here

So now we're downgrading our football schedule/TV contract AND sacrificing 2 OOC MBB games vs that competition in order to do so... ??? :confused: I know AD Dave is being diplomatic, but I'd almost rather he come out and say we aren't interested (particularly if CUSA is leaking this false narrative).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom