Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Conf USA in Talks with UConn, Liberty, NMSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
So now we're downgrading our football schedule/TV contract AND sacrificing 2 OOC MBB games vs that competition in order to do so... ??? :confused: I know AD Dave is being diplomatic, but I'd almost rather he come out and say we aren't interested (particularly if CUSA is leaking this false narrative).
We all hope he’s being diplomatic. But these are all assumptions. Say it ain’t so.

Reaction Score
UConn will never be AAU. There are so many universities ahead of us in that matter. The northeast is tricky. While it is a strong public university in the northeast, there are 20-30 schools (mostly private) that are stronger academic institution within a 200 mile radius. Schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma don’t face a similar predicament. AAU will never happen here. It’s time to move on. Too many political reasons as well.
You're entitled to your opinion. And that's what it is. There was a time that UConn was a tiny agricultural college. Many people said it would never be more. And now it is a respected university. AAU is within reach of UConn.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
So many inaccuracies in that article. Whoever wrote that must have just crawled out of a hole.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That was from Saturday?

Yeah, it's more the wording than the timing.

STORRS, CT (WFSB) - UConn football could potentially find itself in a new conference.

It's not a guarantee, but team officials say UConn Athletic Director David Benedict has had discussions with the Conference USA officials about joining their conference.

"Characterizing these interactions as negotiations is an overstatement. I will always do what I think is in the best interest of UConn and I am open to having conversations with anyone in an effort to position us for long-term success," Benedict said.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
You keep talking about Villanova like they are FBS, is this something they are on record as considering in the near future or are you dreaming?
No 100%

Reaction Score
Add this supposed “former AD” to the list of people that have no idea that UConn has a tv deal, has had good luck scheduling big names and that recruiting picked up as an Indy. People are just clueless about our situation because they can’t see past the losing.

I think there is room for us to be an independent long term. When schools like Liberty join a conference, we lose them as an obvious annual opponent but we we also lose them as competition for other games available. We have a known name and we will be able to get games. We need to become presentable though, so fanbases don’t start to whine about us hurting their schedule strength too much or just being a boring opponent in general.

Reaction Score

Only UConn mention:

-> UConn and/or UMass have been mentioned among options for an eighth member, but for now, the league would have only seven members if it brings in the four other programs. UConn would only potentially join for football given its Big East ties in basketball and other sports.

The NCAA Manual states an FBS conference must be comprised of at least eight members that all sponsor a minimum of six men's and eight women's sports. The 14 sports must include football and men's and women's basketball.

A conference has a "grace period" of two years to retain FBS membership if it falls below eight members, the manual states. Conference USA is seemingly in that position now.

The NCAA also requires conferences to have a minimum of six members to qualify for an automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament <-

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
… or Gene DeFillippo (which actually makes sense too).
I don’t really understand why Dimauro thinks he has to grant anonymity to retired AD’s just so they can criticize UConn. He’s not protecting sources here, it’s just opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom