Condolences to a Boneyarder | The Boneyard

Condolences to a Boneyarder

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The niece of one of our own was murdered in Newtown on Friday. My thoughts and prayers are with Mike and the family of his beautiful niece, Rachel.

My Niece - Rachel Marie D'Avino - A True Hero

Born: July 17, 1983
Died: December 14, 2012
Services: A funeral service will be held on Friday, December 21, 2012 at 11 a.m. at the Church of the Nativity, East Street, Bethlehem. Burial will
be held at the Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Watertown.
Visitation: Friends may call the Woodbury Funeral Home of Munson-Lovetere, 2 School Street on Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m

A true hero

Rachel Marie D’Avino, 29, died Friday, December 14, 2012 in Newtown, CT, protecting the children she loved so dearly. Rachel was born on July 17, 1983 in Waterbury, a daughter to Mary (Carmody) D’Avino of Bethlehem and Ralph D’Avino of Waterbury. A 2001 graduate of Nonnewaug High School, Rachel went on to receive her Bachelor’s degree from the University of Hartford, her Masters Degree from Post University, and was working towards her Doctorate degree from University of St. Joseph of Hartford. Just last week, Rachel completed her final requirements to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. Her presence and tremendous smile brightened any room she entered. Rachel loved animals, cooking, baking, photography, and karate. She was an adoring big sister who cherished her two younger siblings like they were her own children.

Her passion, however, was her occupation as a behavioral therapist working with children within the autism spectrum. She had worked in various positions throughout her career providing behavioral therapy to children with hopes of helping them develop into happy and healthy adults. She integrated these children into her daily life; often taking them into her home, hosting holidays and crafting parties for them. She taught them and treated them like family. Her maternal nature, understanding, and sense of patience with the learning disabled were truly gifts she possessed. Ultimately, it is these gifts that would have given Rachel a level of understanding and forgiveness during this time of crisis that many others wouldn’t have.

Besides her parents, she is survived by her best friend and soon to have been fiancé, Anthony J. Cerritelli, of Bethlehem. Tony had recently asked Rachel’s parents’ permission for her hand in marriage. They were to be engaged on Christmas Eve. She is also survived by her stepfather Peter F. Paradis of Bethlehem, her sisters Hannah and Sarah both of Bethlehem, her brothers Stephen Paradis and his fiancé Tracy Vogt of Bristol and Justin Paradis and his wife Debbie of NJ, her maternal grandparents Helen and Brendan Carmody of Waterbury, her paternal grandmother Nicoletta D’Avino of Waterbury several aunts and uncles, and many many cousins who adored her. She was predeceased by her paternal grandfather Tomasso D’Avino,

Memorials: In lieu of flowers, donations should be made to Autism Speaks, 1 East 33rd Street, 4th floor, New York, NY 10016.
Cemetery: Mt. Olivet Cemetery

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Heartbreak, sadness, anger, frustration. Those are just a few of the feelings I was able to identify reading about Rachel and thinking about what her family is going through.

Sincere condolences to Mike for his loss.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Mike,

Words are inadequate right now but you have my deepest sympathy and prayers. It could have been my niece. She teaches in another elementary school here in Connecticut.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Deepest sympathy and prayers for Mike and his family.

Reaction Score
She sounds like a wonderful woman who was making a difference in this world. Wish I had the chance to know her.

My deepest condolences.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thank you Nan for posting this. I read about the lovely young woman in the paper...my prayers for this family and all others affected by this tragedy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
God Bless our prayers are with you and your family .

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Prayers to the family, friends and students of Ms. D'Avino.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's a small world we live in, something that makes the anguish that much more terrible and real when it strikes close.

It is certain that Rachel was indeed a heroine when it counted most to the little lives entrusted to her care. I hope that Mike and the rest of her family can take some small solace in the fact that so many others around the world now know of Rachel's courage and goodness of heart in the face of such unspeakable, monstrous evil. She made the ultimate sacrifice, and for that she will never be forgotten.

My deepest prayers go out to Mike, his family, and all the others touched by this tragedy. Even from a distance, this one seems to be hitting home more rather than less as the days go by and the individual stories like this begin to come out. May God bless each and every one of the Sandy Hook family.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
May she rest in peace. Sincerest condolences and prayers for her, her family and loved ones, and all those who have been so deeply affected by that dreadful day.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How horrible for any family to be touched by that tragedy. Prayers and condolences to the family...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mike,
My sincerest condolences on your loss. Words can not express the sorrow we all feel at this time.

A Sandy Hook resident.

We are Newtown!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Oh, Mike, I'm so sorry to hear this.

Reaction Score
How sad and ironic that with her background and training she might have helped her killer had he given her a chance. My sympathies to her family.

Reaction Score
Mike, you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That event was overwhelmingly horrific from a distance, down here in Virginia. I can barely imagine how painful it is to those who were affected. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike and the others. The Boneyard is here for you whenever you need it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
That event was overwhelmingly horrific from a distance, down here in Virginia. I can barely imagine how painful it is to those who were affected. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike and the others. The Boneyard is here for you whenever you need it.

I echo Milford's thoughts. I struggle to add a personal note and find myself without words.

Maybe this: I hope that time, distant though it may be, will offer some ease to your pain. God bless you and your family, to help you see your way through this difficult time. God bless the life of your niece, God bless her co-workers and their families, and God Bless the town of Newtown. And lastly, God bless the children and their families, the lost and the living, for the former died in innocence, and the latter had theirs torn away.

I know that time is a great healer, yet it needs serenity, wisdom and courage, and love and patience along the way.

Reaction Score
For those who may be interested, a scholarship fund has been set up in her memory at Saint Joseph's (her alma mater) to help future students studying behavioral analysis and autism.

http://www.usj.edu/news/in-honor.html

I have no connection to the family, so I'm not soliciting on their behalf -- I just stumbled on to this on-line while browsing looking for little things to do to help. I donated to the UConn fund, and a scholarship fund at Eastern Connecticut in memory of Vicki Soto to help future teachers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom