Completely inept in every phase | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Completely inept in every phase

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But UConn has a team made up of 45% freshman and red shirt freshman. That is clearly the problem. UConn fans have made that point clear. At least one of them did. Are you suggesting that poster doesn’t know what he is talking about? Or are you suggesting that 45% is much different than 39%. That would be 4 scholarship players.
No, I am suggesting that football at Georgia is worlds different then football at Connecticut. So much so that your comparison you made is silly. But you knew that right?

Reaction Score
I agree with those who are saying it is not all on the O line. You can see other teams know UConn is going to run and they are stacking the box. Jack Zergiotis found success against Illinois because they were not ready for him. All it takes is a team to watch some film and it becomes easy to pick apart a true freshman's weaknesses which IU did - They stacked the run and pressured the young QB and made him look like a true freshman. Hard to blame the line when the other teams are putting more guys upfront than you have to block. Good coaches see what the other team is doing and adjust. We don't seem to do a good job adjusting to what the other team is doing and thus become easy to defend. Now having a better, more experienced QB who can make quick reads and make the defense pay for stacking the box will get them to back off and open up the running game. We don't have that now.

Reaction Score
Eyes rolling

Krajewski is the ANSWER. Nite nite. Note the all caps
Lets give Steven Krajewski a chance to play . We've already seen what the others can and cannot do. -Getting thrown in at end of a game does not show you anything regarding his POTENTIAL. (note all the caps)

Reaction Score
When you go with a true freshman sometimes he is going to look like a true freshman. But jeez, half the people on this board have been calling for us to do that since Dennis Brown. I saw Dan Orlovsky look totally overmatched as a true freshman on occasion. But at other times he looked like he belonged.

Reaction Score
No, I am suggesting that football at Georgia is worlds different then football at Connecticut. So much so that your comparison you made is silly. But you knew that right?

So it appears that you are now saying that the reason for Uconn’s Football performance is based on the quality of the recruits, and not the fact that there are 45% who are freshmen and red shirt freshmen. That is the point that I was making. In an earlier post, you seemed to be saying that it was due to the youth of the players, and not the talent.

CL82

Reaction Score
So it appears that you are now saying that the reason for Uconn’s Football performance is based on the quality of the recruits, and not the fact that there are 45% who are freshmen and red shirt freshmen. That is the point that I was making. In an earlier post, you seemed to be saying that it was due to the youth of the players, and not the talent.
Nope. Trolling or reading comprehension issues? I'll give one last shot but then I'm out.

UConn's performance on the field is definitely impacted by the age and experience of its players, just like every other college team. It's kind of odd that you'd argue otherwise. Teams like Georgia, can better sustain themselves in years that they have a young team because 1) the players that are coming back are better and 2) the freshman are better.

That isn't a particularly earth shaking or hard to grasp concept, right?

Reaction Score
Nope. Trolling or reading comprehension issues? I'll give one last shot but then I'm out.

UConn's performance on the field is definitely impacted by the age and experience of its players, just like every other college team. It's kind of odd that you'd argue otherwise. Teams like Georgia, can better sustain themselves in years that they have a young team because 1) the players that are coming back are better and 2) the freshman are better.

That isn't a particularly earth shaking or hard to grasp concept, right?

I’m saying that 45% freshmen and red shirt freshman is not an uncommon mix in college football teams. Using that as an excuse is simply silly. But if it makes you feel better, why not dismiss all the seniors. Then you can feel great pointing out that 65% of the team is made up of freshmen and red shirt freshmen.

Reaction Score
Practically all of those 1 and 2 year players are on what passes for our 2-Deep. That's uncommon and these are developmental guys.

Reaction Score
Practically all of those 1 and 2 year players are on what passes for our 2-Deep. That's uncommon and these are developmental guys.

According to the UConn info updated for 9/25 there are 15 freshmen and red shirt freshman on the 2-deep. The two deep that they list includes 22 offensive players and 24 defensive players(?). They make up 33% of the 2-deep.

Reaction Score
According to the UConn info updated for 9/25 there are 15 freshmen and red shirt freshman on the 2-deep. The two deep that they list includes 22 offensive players and 24 defensive players(?). They make up 33% of the 2-deep.
That seems like a lot for a team that doesn't recruit a lot of ready to play kids. Other than a stray RB, WR or DL player or a Branch type DB these young kids should not be able to crack the 2 deep. With all my HCRE2.0 issues, this really is a problem that he has to face. My problem is with his less than vanilla offensive scheme it makes it way worse on players being able to execute.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That seems like a lot for a team that doesn't recruit a lot of ready to play kids. Other than a stray RB, WR or DL player or a Branch type DB these young kids should not be able to crack the 2 deep. With all my HCRE2.0 issues, this really is a problem that he has to face. My problem is with his less than vanilla offensive scheme it makes it way worse on players being able to execute.

what does that tell you about edsall’s first 1.5 classes?

Reaction Score
what does that tell you about edsall’s first 1.5 classes?
That he isn't recruiting like Georgia. Didn't expect him to. That he didn't accomplish enough with transfers/juco, that's on him (don't know how much UConn's administration was hinderance). Should have definitely improved RB position by now, too many good guys out there to not get one or two (especially with all the open scholarships).

Given he burned through most all players at UConn when he got there and the developmental type kids he needs to get (speed over size, potential over proven ability) really do need to give him till end of 2020 to judge recruiting classes (on the aspect of his coaching/scheme ability I continue to believe he was/is terrible pick for head coach).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That he isn't recruiting like Georgia. Didn't expect him to. That he didn't accomplish enough with transfers/juco, that's on him (don't know how much UConn's administration was hinderance). Should have definitely improved RB position by now, too many good guys out there to not get one or two (especially with all the open scholarships).

Given he burned through most all players at UConn when he got there and the developmental type kids he needs to get (speed over size, potential over proven ability) really do need to give him till end of 2020 to judge recruiting classes (on the aspect of his coaching/scheme ability I continue to believe he was/is terrible pick for head coach).

i meant what does the ‘depth chart’ tell you about what he thinks about the relative strengths of his ‘three’ classes?

CL82

Reaction Score
i meant what does the ‘depth chart’ tell you about what he thinks about the relative strengths of his ‘three’ classes?
That the quality of player is trending up?

(Don't get triggered it's just a joke.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom