Completely inept in every phase | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Completely inept in every phase

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So...I love the UConn daily that Silver puts out and I think he has great insight and has been a nice contributor to this board. But...he made a comment this week that Edsall needs “several years” to get his players.

So this is year 3...how long does he need? Several years beyond year 3? I know RE is methodical and deliberate, but several more years is ridiculous.
The ship was run aground before HCRE. He’s made repairs, but the ship will never be as good as it was 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the qb argument. They all stink although Zergiotis looked impressive in the Illinois game. We stunk all over the field. I did not see one positive other than we would’ve lost by more last year. Let’s take our spanking against UCF and try to get better. I’d be okay with 3 wins this season. Thrilled with 4 wins.

Reaction Score
Kind of silly to argue if our D sucks or our D REALLY sucks.

It still sucks.
The D stinks it’s bend don’t break, although it’s much better than last year by a million miles. Our O line is a huge disappointment after many believed this would be our strength. We can’t run the ball at all behind their lack of push and our QB gets happy feet because they don’t protect very well. I guess some of us got way too hopeful after the Illinois game. We still stink. We just stink less.

Reaction Score
The D stinks it’s bend don’t break, although it’s much better than last year by a million miles. Our O line is a huge disappointment after many believed this would be our strength. We can’t run the ball at all behind their lack of push and our QB gets happy feet because they don’t protect very well. I guess some of us got way too hopeful after the Illinois game. We still stink. We just stink less.

It's tough to blame the offensive line. There have created some holes and time to pass. They are the best unit on the offense.

None of runners ever seem to break a tackle and rarely make anyone miss. The number one quality of a good running back is to make the first tackler miss. By that standard our backs are substandard.

Our receivers rarely get any separation. So even with time to pass the passing game is substandard as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know... I saw a lot of open receivers today.
This. If Z makes his throws we are all feeling a lot better this week. Better about the players, better about the coaches, better about our prospects. I'm not saying we win, but we definitely compete.

Remember this team is @45% RS or true freshman. They are going to struggle against a good team. Hopefully not as bad as this weekend, but they definitely will struggle.

The jury is out on Z. Which kid is he, the one who looked solid but young against Illinois or over his head against Indiana? We won't learn much next week. (For those of you are a little down on the team, you might want to take next weekend off. Maybe go for a walk on the beach with the wife or something. It isn't going to be pretty.)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Last year the defense would have given up 60 points that's the difference.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a step back but when you have bad/ no talent it just takes time to turn the ship. Case in point. Shiano at Rutgers had really lousy years during his first 4 seasons then went 7-4, 9-2. Sadly we were Rutgers level talent under the Bobster.

One other note here. Where are all the folks who wanted to start a freshman quarterback and let him take his lumps?

Reaction Score
My prediction for 2 wins this year is starting to look good. We will know more after 10/5.

Reaction Score
The issue most people have is that these days, coaches that are good are bowl eligible in year 2 or 3. If they aren’t, it probably isn’t going to work out.
Wiser words never spoken...

Reaction Score
This. If Z makes his throws we are all feeling a lot better this week. Better about the players, better about the coaches, better about our prospects. I'm not saying we win, but we definitely compete.

Remember this team is @45% RS or true freshman. They are going to struggle against a good team. Hopefully not as bad as this weekend, but they definitely will struggle.

The jury is out on Z. Which kid is he, the one who looked solid but young against Illinois or over his head against Indiana? We won't learn much next week. (For those of you are a little down on the team, you might want to take next weekend off. Maybe go for a walk on the beach with the wife or something. It isn't going to be pretty.)

Georgia’s team is 39.4% freshman or redshirt freshman. They seem to be handling it well.

Reaction Score
Georgia’s team is 39.4% freshman or redshirt freshman. They seem to be handling it well.
Im sure that UGA's recruiting budget being 1.5M more than anyone in the P5, the assistant coaching salaries of 6.5M and getting the #1 and 2 recruiting classes the last two years filled with 5 and 4 star highly developed recruits have nothing to do with that.

Reaction Score
LOL. What idiocy. Next you’ll be posting that the Patriots had 3 backup o linemen in and they still won.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Weird. I mean if they can do it we should be able to, right? I wonder why we're not?

Um, maybe 5.5% makes a difference?

Or it could just be the coaches?

Or maybe we are aren't Georgia and recruit a vastly different level of kids?

Maybe the 60.6% of upperclassmen in Georgia are vastly better than the 55% of upperclassmen at UConn?

Reaction Score
One reason teams get stuck in these ruts forever is that programs panic and make changes when they shouldn’t. Admittedly it is a judgement call too. You need to see progress. Clearly Pasqualoni has lost the team. The bobster was just a bad coach. But when you think you have a guy who is moving you in the right direction you need to hang in. Example are Cutcliffe at Duke who didn’t have a winning regular season until Year 6. Schiano who took 5 years. There are others I’m sure. There are also the quick turn around guys who occasionally work out but as often have one good year and fall back after that. Or leave and fail elsewhere or s guy like Addazio who went 9-4 in his first year at Temple but has has been consistent at BC going 7-6 every year but 1 I think. Never ever been close to that Temple year which was mainly built off a solid group assembled by Golden.

Reaction Score
Not totally convinced the D this year is head and shoulders above last year. They haven't faced a really good team yet. This Saturday should tell us a lot.

And I am not completely sold on Jack Zergiotis. Illinois was completely caught off guard when he started and they had not expected much of a passing attack. So perhaps that day should be discounted as probably should be next Saturday unless he does great. We may have to wait until Oct. 5 to see if he can be effective.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Different place, different planet
Can't begin to compare UGA to UConn - not even in turns of relevance
BUT, if UGA wasn't 39.4% freshmen they probably would have wiped the field vs the Gold Domes last Saturday!!!:rolleyes:
Sorry, despise everything Notre Dame - they puff their chests yet do nothing but screw up everything with demands on conferences. Don't understand why all the bravado - it's Hollywood

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Georgia’s freshmen would whup our upperclassmen but yeah other than that spot on.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We look better in the White unis with the blue block C helmets.
1) metallic blue Block C helmet,
2) blue jersey at home
3) white jersey away
4) always white pants
5) always white shoes

I’ve never thought about socks.

Reaction Score
LOL. What idiocy. Next you’ll be posting that the Patriots had 3 backup o linemen in and they still won.

Is it more stupid than posting the percentage of freshman on the UConn team?

Reaction Score
Georgia’s freshmen would whup our upperclassmen but yeah other than that spot on.

So are you saying that the number of freshman and red shirt freshman isn’t really the problem? Because that is the point that I was making, while some here seem to think it is a huge part of the problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One reason teams get stuck in these ruts forever is that programs panic and make changes when they shouldn’t. Admittedly it is a judgement call too. You need to see progress. Clearly Pasqualoni has lost the team. The bobster was just a bad coach. But when you think you have a guy who is moving you in the right direction you need to hang in. Example are Cutcliffe at Duke who didn’t have a winning regular season until Year 6. Schiano who took 5 years. There are others I’m sure. There are also the quick turn around guys who occasionally work out but as often have one good year and fall back after that. Or leave and fail elsewhere or s guy like Addazio who went 9-4 in his first year at Temple but has has been consistent at BC going 7-6 every year but 1 I think. Never ever been close to that Temple year which was mainly built off a solid group assembled by Golden.

you mean like randy edsall in 2002?

anyone who thinks the problem is they fire coaches too quickly is lawst.

they don’t can these losers fast enough.

Reaction Score
Weird. I mean if they can do it we should be able to, right? I wonder why we're not?

Um, maybe 5.5% makes a difference?

Or it could just be the coaches?

Or maybe we are aren't Georgia and recruit a vastly different level of kids?

Maybe the 60.6% of upperclassmen in Georgia are vastly better than the 55% of upperclassmen at UConn?

But UConn has a team made up of 45% freshman and red shirt freshman. That is clearly the problem. UConn fans have made that point clear. At least one of them did. Are you suggesting that poster doesn’t know what he is talking about? Or are you suggesting that 45% is much different than 39%. That would be 4 scholarship players.

Reaction Score
Im sure that UGA's recruiting budget being 1.5M more than anyone in the P5, the assistant coaching salaries of 6.5M and getting the #1 and 2 recruiting classes the last two years filled with 5 and 4 star highly developed recruits have nothing to do with that.

But remember, accordinging to BY convention, the number of stars (5 or 4) are meaningless. Randy knows talent and can land the under-recruited, under-the-radar talent.

Sarcasm aside, RE is never gonna be able to out recruit Georgia or most P5 schools, but he needs to be able to out recruit Buffalo, UMass, Rhode Island and Stony Brook. He needs to be able to get AAC worthy athletes, even though now we are "running" from that conference.

And, on another topic for another post, the 4 time national champion Huskies leaving ("running") from the AAC for basketball to go to the BE is yet one more mistake. What next, RE leaves and UConn brings in Paul Pascqualoni - the winningest coach in BE football history?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom