Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It will really be interesting to see how this massive front line affects UCONN. They will certainly have the depth to keep rotating players in to play aggressive defense in the paint. BG made a lot of her guards look like better defenders than they were because she gave them the freedom to be aggressive on the perimeter and the USC front line could do the same for them.

I suspect that USC and UCONN will be be undefeated going into their match-up next year...at least I hope they are.

I suspect that UConn will be undefeated after their match-up next season....at least I hope so.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One can talk all they want about the talent of specific individuals. But the bottom line is team. This means defense and offense. On these two, Uconn has no peer right now.

You can have a big front line but if your guards are harassed and can't get the ball to the posts, size in neutralized. Uconn is noted for taking away what the opponent wants to do. Just look at the championship game with ND.

How many teams other than Uconn can put five starters on the floor that average double figures? None. Most teams only have two big scorers.

The past season we heard what MD was capable of. They lost. Stamford was really good - they lost. Baylor was really good and they lost. We've heard this talk before and the results are usually the same - Uconn wins.

So bring it on. All challengers are welcome.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One can talk all they want about the talent of specific individuals. But the bottom line is team. This means defense and offense. On these two, Uconn has no peer right now.

You can have a big front line but if your guards are harassed and can't get the ball to the posts, size in neutralized. Uconn is noted for taking away what the opponent wants to do. Just look at the championship game with ND.

How many teams other than Uconn can put five starters on the floor that average double figures? None. Most teams only have two big scorers.

The past season we heard what MD was capable of. They lost. Stamford was really good - they lost. Baylor was really good and they lost. We've heard this talk before and the results are usually the same - Uconn wins.

So bring it on. All challengers are welcome.

You are right that they have no peer right now...becasue they are not playing right now. Time will tell how the loss of Dolson and Hartley affect UCONN.

And anyone that says "StaMford" loses credibility points. :p

Reaction Score
You are right that they have no peer right now...becasue they are not playing right now.

And anyone that says "StaMford" loses credibility points. :p
Natural typo for nutmeggers, since Stamford is a major town in CT.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is not a team in WCBB that can challenge UConn. Just because opponents have talent means nothing. Years ago talent it was a big deal today there is alot of talent on alot of teams. Its going to take more then talent. Sure UConn could lose and it would be a fluke. I dont see that happening. All this of course barring injuries. Last season major injuries didnt matter UConn rolled. Poor shooting in the NCAAs and UConn rolled. The question is what team can hold UConn to under 50 pts and score over 50 pts against UConn. Now I know SC and Tenn have some talented teams and look good but UConn is at a whole different level. How much better is the TEAM SC and Tenn. Not how much more talented but how much better of a team the ND was last season. Theyre not. UConn is better and with Stewart and KML well its going to take more then talent to even keep up with UConn.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some interesting perspectives here, I'll toss in my 2 cents.

Tennessee, on paper, looks like they are a year or two away from peaking. With KML and Stokes in the lineup, I don't see them coming close to UCONN next season. The following season they'll be able to boast a starting 5 of Russell, Graves, DeShields, Nared and Carter. Based on high school rankings, that is a scary starting lineup. Problem is, every player is a question mark. How Russell develops will remain to be seen, as a lot of UT fans say she was playing in pain the whole season and will be a much bigger force next season. Also worth noting, post players typically take longer to develop so I wouldn't count her out, but I wouldn't consider her a sure fire star by any means. Graves was fantastic as a freshman and regressed as a sophomore. If she reverts to the monster she was as a frosh, she could be an All-American. DeShields is one of the most talented players in the nation, and I anticipate she'll be the goto from day 1 in fall 2015. Nared is a top 5 recruit who did well at the McDonald's game, but she hasn't played any college ball yet. Lastly there is Carter who did a nice job as a freshman and will be an upperclassman in 2015-16. Tennessee has had the tools to be a championship contending team in the past (ie. 2010-2012) but wasn't able to reach the Final Four due to various obstacles (ie. Diggins, Griner and Pat Summitt's illness.) I don't think Tennessee has the tools this season to reach the Final Four, but as long as DeShields is on the roster, they'll be a threat.

Can they compete with Connecticut? Who knows. I anticipate UCONN having the edge in talent, experience and coaching in 2015-16. That said, Tennessee with DeShields will be a dangerous team. I anticipate Tennessee being the type of team that will maybe lose a game or two to someone they shouldn't lose to, but if Diamond gets hot they'll be able to go toe to toe with anyone in the nation.

Onto South Carolina. They are also very dangerous on paper but haven't proven much. No significant wins last season and poor in game coaching in the NCAAs last year. They are extremely young and come 2015-16 could be really really good. Potential starting 5 of Alaina Coates, JaTarie White, A'ja Wilson, SG?, Tiffany Mitchell. Coates has the skill set to be one of the top 2-3 centers in the nation next year, White has a great body and will do well in the post alongside Coates, Wilson is the #1 recruit, Mitchell was the SEC Player of the Year....they'll be very good. Can the talent gel together where they'll be able to compete with Connecticut/Notre Dame? Or will they be another Duke/Tennessee of recent years? Should be interesting to see how it plays out. That said, assuming there are no major injuries or transfers (which is about a 1/100 chance of that happening), I'd look for UCONN, Notre Dame, Tennessee and USC to be the cream of the crop on WCBB for the next few years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Tennessee, on paper, looks like they are a year or two away from peaking. With KML and Stokes in the lineup, I don't see them coming close to UCONN next season. The following season they'll be able to boast a starting 5 of Russell, Graves, DeShields, Nared and Carter. Based on high school rankings, that is a scary starting lineup. Problem is, every player is a question mark. How Russell develops will remain to be seen, as a lot of UT fans say she was playing in pain the whole season and will be a much bigger force next season. Also worth noting, post players typically take longer to develop so I wouldn't count her out, but I wouldn't consider her a sure fire star by any means. Graves was fantastic as a freshman and regressed as a sophomore. If she reverts to the monster she was as a frosh, she could be an All-American. DeShields is one of the most talented players in the nation, and I anticipate she'll be the goto from day 1 in fall 2015. Nared is a top 5 recruit who did well at the McDonald's game, but she hasn't played any college ball yet. Lastly there is Carter who did a nice job as a freshman and will be an upperclassman in 2015-16. Tennessee has had the tools to be a championship contending team in the past (ie. 2010-2012) but wasn't able to reach the Final Four due to various obstacles (ie. Diggins, Griner and Pat Summitt's illness.) I don't think Tennessee has the tools this season to reach the Final Four, but as long as DeShields is on the roster, they'll be a threat.

Can they compete with Connecticut? Who knows. I anticipate UCONN having the edge in talent, experience and coaching in 2015-16. That said, Tennessee with DeShields will be a dangerous team. I anticipate Tennessee being the type of team that will maybe lose a game or two to someone they shouldn't lose to, but if Diamond gets hot they'll be able to go toe to toe with anyone in the nation.

Onto South Carolina. They are also very dangerous on paper but haven't proven much. No significant wins last season and poor in game coaching in the NCAAs last year. They are extremely young and come 2015-16 could be really really good. Potential starting 5 of Alaina Coates, JaTarie White, A'ja Wilson, SG?, Tiffany Mitchell. Coates has the skill set to be one of the top 2-3 centers in the nation next year, White has a great body and will do well in the post alongside Coates, Wilson is the #1 recruit, Mitchell was the SEC Player of the Year....they'll be very good. Can the talent gel together where they'll be able to compete with Connecticut/Notre Dame? Or will they be another Duke/Tennessee of recent years? Should be interesting to see how it plays out. That said, assuming there are no major injuries or transfers (which is about a 1/100 chance of that happening), I'd look for UCONN, Notre Dame, Tennessee and USC to be the cream of the crop on WCBB for the next few years.

In your otherwise superb analysis of Tennessee, South Carolina and UConn and your projections for the foreseeable future, I think you overlooked one key factor.

You seem to have underestimated the Heart of a Champion.

And that Heart of a Champion is what sets UConn apart from their competitors more than anything else.

Reaction Score

Damned good assessment bball ... I might quibble on DD--I think her poor shooting percentage has to be acknowledged--but overall I think you nailed it.

Reaction Score
Is USC that much a juggernaut? I know they have good pieces.... but all the talk.... we will see

Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper is the best point guard in the high school ranks right now. She has won two AAU championships and two high school championships. Yes, she has been surrounded by a lot of talent but she has played against a lot of talent. She is by far the strongest in terms of finishing in the lane and her handle is even further ahead of the rest. Durr is the best player in the class, Katie Lou a close second, and Te'a close behind at number 3. That is my honest opinion after having been able to watch numerous players from this class multiple times. It is also the opinion of others that are not necessarily of a Tennessee bias.

As for this year we are a natty contender, moreso than what was initially thought last year. We have solid senior leadership, Harrison has developed from a post with low skill level into arguably one of these best centers in the nation (but UT players don't develop), and we add in a ton of talent compared to what we lost. Tucker and Nared are two big time talents and should be factors from the get go. We had our shortcomings last year but I just see much bigger things for them this year. A part of that is besides SC, we lose far less than any other top team loses going into next season and we have far too much talent to have any more excuses to not be in the FF contending. I have heard a lot from Holly and Dean since the season ended about them needing to look deep into those shortcomings and Holly has been adamant in building a refined offensive system. I believe as a true fan should, but probably more going into this year than the last five/six years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As for this year we are a natty contender

To me, Tennessee has to show they can play championship contending defense before these kinds of proclamations can be made. Beyond that, they were a poor passing team last year and I'm not sure how that is going to improve. They also lost their best--if streaky--shooter, and they didn't shoot well to begin with. Those would be my biggest concerns if I were a Vols fan: perimeter shooting, defense, and passing.

Reaction Score
Yah, especially because she'll have a year off to work on her game and watch what's going on on the floor. That latter bit has helped out a number of players in their day, including Sue Bird.
I think DD will make TN offense better. Having your starters practice against a player with her talent is definitely a plus. JMO

Reaction Score
To me, Tennessee has to show they can play championship contending defense before these kinds of proclamations can be made. Beyond that, they were a poor passing team last year and I'm not sure how that is going to improve. They also lost their best--if streaky--shooter, and they didn't shoot well to begin with. Those would be my biggest concerns if I were a Vols fan: perimeter shooting, defense, and passing.

I agree with this post expect for the fact that it is not crazy for a Tennessee fan like me to proclaim they are a contender :). Like I said, we have the talent and the issues that us fans saw all year seem to be the focal points of the coaches this offseason. Holly knows the offense does not work and has eluded to as much and understands that the coaching staff needs to put a better system in place for them to succeed. As far as defense I think we have the players to be the Tennessee of old where we play man to man defense start to finish. The shooting situation has been of concern and the coaching staff made it clear they were going after shooters... they got two of the best in the class in Dunbar and Middleton. Massengale, for all the criticism she gets, was much better in her junior year and shot 38% from three and Carter shot 39%. If they can improve marginally our perimeter scoring will be much improved along with the additions of Dunbar, Middleton, and most importantly Tucker. Jones shot 53% from three but only had 15 attempts... it would a nice percentage if she upped it to 100 attempts and kept the same percentage ;). Anywho, yes, I absolutely agree with you on the concerns and the improvement in offense and passing goes into my biggest concern which is turnovers. We were like 207th in TOs per game and most of them were our girls own fault. Izzy was huge for us but she had 90 plus turnovers last year (although she got a fair share of those from terrible entry passes that left her in bad position). Jordan Reynolds is going to be key for us because she showed that she was an excellent post feeder when she played. annnddd I'm rambling about Tenn on a UConn board. Sorry and thanks for hearing me out, even though most of ya don't give a hoot. lol

Reaction Score
I think DD will make TN offense better. Having your starters practice against a player with her talent is definitely a plus. JMO

A lot of Tennessee fans have said as much as well.

Side question: Has the SC/UConn game been scheduled yet? I've been searching for it but most articles I read don't give a date or even possible dates. I may be in Connecticut for a couple weeks in either December or January and I'm trying to schedule it accordingly. Any info/inside track on the date would be greatly appreciated.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No firm date for UConn/SC has been set but it's supposedly taking place in February.

We'll see about the Vols. Reynolds, Carter, and Tucker might be their keys along with the development of Russell.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Tucker. Tucker will probably start this year. She is expected to take on a huge scoring role per Holly. Also, TN will now have several 3 point shooters. Middleton AKA the 3 point winner at MCAA and Dunbar are both sharp shooters. The TN coaches have said over and over that Dunbar is by far the best 3 ball shooter on the team. Plus, she is 6'2". Remember Sidney Spencer? That's Dunbar. TN has been pretty bad at the 3 ball for a few years. The new players will make a huge difference in stretching the defense out.

People on this board have been pretty hard on Holly at times. And yes, she still has a lot to prove. BUT she has assembled an amazing roster. No one can doubt that. Fun times are ahead and I suspect the UCONN/TN rivalry will be back sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Tucker will not start; she and Russell are both out until October recovering from surgery.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
News from Knoxville yesterday is that Tucker had a second acl surgery in April (acl replaced with one from a cadaver) and Russell had extensive surgery on her right foot (initially announced as removing bunions but toe bones were replaced and toe ligaments "addressed"). Both said to be rehabbing til at least October, so the extent of their contributions in upcoming season are in question.

Reaction Score
Now I know why there's a sudden influx of Tennessee fans on this board. They want the latest news about their team and they evidently aren't getting it on Volnation. I'm beginning to agree with Icebear !
BTY, TP3, It's alluded not eluded as used in that sentence.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There is still a good amount of time for both to recover. The fist game will be in first week of November.

Reaction Score
I apologize for digressing. I have a question about UCONN recruiting.

On most men's teams I find a backup center. His purpose is not to make the NBA. Instead he spells the main center about 5-10 min in a half. Also he has to step in when the regular center is in foul trouble and usually does a good job on defense.

On UCONN women's team there is usually no backup center. If there is more than one center, the mantle is expected to fall on the 2nd when the 1st is gone. What is the reason for this difference?
In the past there used to be several 6-4, 6-5 and taller girls (Bigrig and others) who did not do that good a job as a backup as the men's team backup often do. Granted I am somewhat biased watching the Big East in its haydays.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Damned good assessment bball ... I might quibble on DD--I think her poor shooting percentage has to be acknowledged--but overall I think you nailed it.
Thanks Suebird10fan for the nice words. I wouldn't consider Diamond's FG% to be an issue yet. She shot 42.6% from the floor in the best conference in the nation and I can't recall ever watching her shoot her team out of a game, or shoot so poorly that other teams were able to creep back into a game. I also think her teammates will have a big impact. At UNC she was surrounded by other talented players, but she was expected to be the driving force. At Tennessee, I'd look for her teammates to draw more attention from defenses with Graves/Russell as upperclassmen and strong wings in Tucker/Nared. I doubt we'll see many games where she'll be taking 20+ shots like we saw at North Carolina. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I think we'll see her shoot a higher percentage at Tennessee than she did at NC.

Additionally, even if she does shoot in the low 40s.... she is a MAJOR upgrade over Simmons. Simmons never improved her basketball IQ nor did she learn to pass the ball. In her last 6 games, Simmons shot less than 31% from the field while taking 17+ shots each game and only dished out 8 assists over 6 games. The rest of the team shot 47.2% from the floor over that stretch. Even if DeShields has an off game here or there, I don't think we'll ever see her struggle through a stretch like that where even if she is struggling to score, she'll continue to be a detriment to her team.

Reaction Score
I apologize for digressing. I have a question about UCONN recruiting.

On most men's teams I find a backup center. His purpose is not to make the NBA. Instead he spells the main center about 5-10 min in a half. Also he has to step in when the regular center is in foul trouble and usually does a good job on defense.

On UCONN women's team there is usually no backup center. If there is more than one center, the mantle is expected to fall on the 2nd when the 1st is gone. What is the reason for this difference?
In the past there used to be several 6-4, 6-5 and taller girls (Bigrig and others) who did not do that good a job as a backup as the men's team backup often do. Granted I am somewhat biased watching the Big East in its haydays.

"On UCONN women's team there is usually no backup center." ... "spells the main center about 5-10 min in a half. Also he has to step in when the regular center is in foul trouble and usually does a good job on defense."

Did you miss Stokes for the last 3 years? Or Kaili McClaren before that? Or Heather Buck? I guess you mean a less talented player who would never start? Or maybe you are asking why UConn doesn't recruit a center just to be a backup? I don't think Geno would ever recruit someone who he thought could never start. Maybe Buck but she came in as a highly-ranked HS player.

The men's side is a lot more competitive when it comes to scholarships. Talented big men are looking at 1 or 2 years then the pros so maybe a coach would like a center who is going to be around 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom