Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 60 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the math works for ESPN/Fox to pay the networks not to expand, but I still think no expansion is the result. I just don't think they will get paid.

If ESPN was going to pay someone not to expand, they would get a Tier III deal with 3 schools in order to get "no" votes out of them. They don't need to pay all 10 schools not to expand.

Reaction Score
I don't think the math works for ESPN/Fox to pay the networks not to expand, but I still think no expansion is the result. I just don't think they will get paid.

If ESPN was going to pay someone not to expand, they would get a Tier III deal with 3 schools in order to get "no" votes out of them. They don't need to pay all 10 schools not to expand.
There's definitely a number that works for them. $20 million pro rata - $3 million AAC money for Houston/UConn/Cincy = $17 million difference. If true value to the media of those schools is say $8 million, you can pay B12 say $5 million for one school. B12 mandates you pay for two schools, so you're out $10 million additional per year, but that's leverage for you, and you're saving $24 million without "overpaying" for anything. Many in B12 don't want to expand, so you don't have to pay the full amount to get them to not dilute the conference and remove the pro rata. $10 million over the 8 or so years is $80 million, $8 million for each school B12 school for free.

Reaction Score
Prediction on words and phrases we'll hear in today's B12 League press conference:
....... " had very productive meetings "....... " we have several fine schools that want admittance, we are honored that, blah, blah blah"....... " we have not ruled out expansion "............ " we have agreed unanimously to continue our discussions with ourselves, our TV partners, these many fine applicant Universities"............." we have strengthened our B12 bonds this weekend"..... yada, yada, yada.......... ( did I say) " very productive meetings this weekend " ?

pj

Reaction Score
The only positive I could spin from that scenario, while still the worst possible outcome, is being the benefactor of a ton of exit fees that keep us at bay in G5. It bridges the gap further until either ND could join ACC or UConn achieves AAU status. Borderline insane, but it is more money coming back to UConn.

Aren't the AAC exit fees down to about $1.7 mn, which would make the departure of 4 schools split among the remaining 8 a windfall for UConn of $850,000, or about the ticket gate from 3 women's basketball games.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Sooooo, what do we think about this?

Reaction Score
Aren't the AAC exit fees down to about $1.7 mn, which would make the departure of 4 schools split among the remaining 8 a windfall for UConn of $850,000, or about the ticket gate from 3 women's basketball games.

I thought they are $10MM with a 27 month notice. Any school(s) looking to get out before 27 months will end up paying more like the Lville, Rutgers, Syracuse & Pitt did

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Do you really think you are going to break news here with a tweet from 12:30?
My mistake. It wasn't posted in this thread so I thought maybe it was disregarded.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Stop the presses...or start the presses....we can put cr@p out there too!
banner-2.jpg

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

They have tier 3 deals with Texas and Kansas. I think IMG has WVU while Fox has the other seven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom