College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options | Page 3 | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options

Reaction Score
But UConn women aren't different than Alabama....recruiting elite talent, coaching...equals NC contenders.

And, like Alabama has been, boringly consistent as top contenders for a NC.

Reaction Score
An expanded field creates interest in other areas of the country rather than the same SEC/Clemson/Ohio State teams. They will probably still be rated as the top teams, but adding 4 or more teams adds interest from other markets and more eye balls. Also you are not considering that outside of their conference they will not play teams that may challenge them and schedule only very beatable teams. So how do you know your the best unless you are tested outside the friendly confines. Look what happened to the Big 10 in basketball this year. Said to be the best conference by far and washed out quickly. Time to make D1 the same as D1A/ D2/D3 with expanded playoffs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love the multiple references to equity and being fair to Indys ND and G5 while still including anyone's idea of the best teams on an annual basis. The COVID season made the CFP finally realize they are leaving money on the table. That is all that there is to it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Everything else is just conversation.

That said, and without think too much more about it (though truth be told, I've laid it out before):

CCGs after an 11 game regular season

Field: 10-12 teams
Contenders: 5 P-5 champions, 2-3 Highest ranked G-5, 2-4 Wild Card. Notre Dame must earn a wild card position, which basically means be in the top 10 by computer rankings.
Format: Single elimination.
Broad strokes:
-Wildcards are determined primarily by computer rankings.
-Top 4 teams get a 1st round bye. (If 10 teams, then two play-in games between 7-10 and 8-9...and THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE CALLED).
-First round will be played on a 5/12, 6/11, 7/10, 8/9 basis at the home field of the lower seed.
-Teams are reseeded after each round. So if a 12 seed happens to beat a 5, they play the 1, not the 4 seed.
-Top two seeds before any round do not meet before the NCG.
-Second Round will be played at the field of lower seed.
-Semi-Final = 2 of 6 New Years Day Bowls.
-Final = NC Game one week later.

Reaction Score
I think they should forget AQ's all together....

If you want to expand...go with the best teams...if you have to use a computer rather than a committee, just do it....

Last year...If they had gone with the Massey Composite,,,Dec 19, 2020

1,,,Alabama
2...Clemson
3...Ohio State
4...Notre Dame
5...Cincinnati
6...Texas A&M
7...Oklahoma
8...Georgia
9....BYU
10...Indiana
11...Florida
12...Iowa State

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
But UConn women aren't different than Alabama....recruiting elite talent, coaching...equals NC contenders.

And, like Alabama has been, boringly consistent as top contenders for a NC.
The difference is that UConn manages to do it in field of 64. I mean Alabama could do in a field of 8 or 12, right?

Reaction Score
But putting Ball State in because the
The difference is that UConn manages to do it in field of 64. I mean Alabama could do in a field of 8 or 12, right?

The difference is football and basketball...UConn football could do it 8 or 12, right?

It takes a lot to have 13 straight double digit win seasons in the SEC....and play through to the Final Championship game in 4 of the last five seasons. I give Bama credit...as I gave UConn Women credit...don't understand your point.

CL82

Reaction Score
But putting Ball State in because the

The difference is football and basketball...UConn football could do it 8 or 12, right?

It takes a lot to have 13 straight double digit win seasons in the SEC....and play through to the Final Championship game in 4 of the last five seasons. I give Bama credit...as I gave UConn Women credit...don't understand your point.
I guess I don’t understand your point. You seem to be saying that if the playoffs get expanded than the best teams won’t participate. That seems a logical fallacy. The cream will rise to the top.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

If you want to expand...go with the best teams...if you have to use a computer rather than a committee, just do it....

1,,,Alabama
2...Clemson
3...Ohio State
4...Notre Dame
5...Cincinnati
6...Texas A&M
7...Oklahoma
8...Georgia
9....BYU
10...Indiana
11...Florida
12...Iowa State
I agree on no AQs. A one-loss G5 school has no business in a 12-team playoff (I see BYU there, but it should be ranked by the committee as BYU lost to Coastal Carolina, another G5 team) and a three-loss Pac-12 team doesn't either.

Reaction Score
I guess I don’t understand your point. You seem to be saying that if the playoffs get expanded than the best teams won’t participate. That seems a logical fallacy. The cream will rise to the top.

Not saying that...just saying that using a basketball format and playing a #1 seed Alabama against the MAC Champ is a waste of time....or an Ohio State against the MAC (OSU has played 25 games against the MAC and has never lost).

In a 64 team basketball tourney, let them loose and talk for years about the once upon a time upset...but seeds #9-16 really are a waste of time in terms of a national championship since they have never won one...And, yes, even in basketball, the cream will rise...87% of all champions have been a seed #1-#3...the rest is just pageantry.

In football, no matter how you stage it...the same teams will end up near the top,.

In a full tournament FCS...don't you tire of North Dakota State winning 8 of the last nine championships....regardless of the number in the playoff field?

CL82

Reaction Score
Not saying that...just saying that using a basketball format and playing a #1 seed Alabama against the MAC Champ is a waste of time....or an Ohio State against the MAC (OSU has played 25 games against the MAC and has never lost

In football, no matter how you stage it...the same teams will end up near the top,.
So you appear to now be saying that broadening the number of participants in the championship will not in anyway harm or disenfranchise “the best teams”. Since that was your argument against it, are you now in favor of it.

Reaction Score
So you appear to now be saying that broadening the number of participants in the championship will not in anyway harm or disenfranchise “the best teams”. Since that was your argument against it, are you now in favor of it.

Never said that...that's your continuing "trap game"...being cute.....what I said is it is complete waste of time to put teams in the playoff who have no chance to win it...as basketball does.

Never was my argument that it will harm or disenfranchise the best teams...that is your attempt to be cute and put words in my mouth...

I have been consistent in saying that the best should play for a national title.....example.. Ball State, as a Conference Champ last year would be a waste of time matching with Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State....

In football, the regular season is important, much more important than in basketball...every week is playoff...lose a game and you may be out...Alabama-Auburn-LSU...OSU-Michigan-PSU...Texas-Oklahoma, and on....

A top ten team loses on a Saturday and there are tremors felt across the whole warp and woof of the football fabric....every weekend has import and excitement....

Basketball is all about March...there is a difference in the sports.

CL82

Reaction Score
Never said that...that's your continuing "trap game"...being cute.....what I said is it is complete waste of time to put teams in the playoff who have no chance to win it...as basketball does.

Never was my argument that it will harm or disenfranchise the best teams...that is your attempt to be cute and put words in my mouth...

I have been consistent in saying that the best should play for a national title.....example.. Ball State, as a Conference Champ last year would be a waste of time matching with Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State....

In football, the regular season is important, much more important than in basketball...every week is playoff...lose a game and you may be out...Alabama-Auburn-LSU...OSU-Michigan-PSU...Texas-Oklahoma, and on....

A top ten team loses on a Saturday and there are tremors felt across the whole warp and woof of the football fabric....every weekend has import and excitement....

Basketball is all about March...there is a difference in the sports.
I could go back and quote post directly, but frankly it’s more effort than it’s worth. So, we are in agreement then that it expanded playoff format would not in any way disenfranchise any of the “good teams” but would give more teams access to a meaningful postseason. Kind a hard to find a fault in that, no?

Reaction Score
I could go back and quote post directly, but frankly it’s more effort than it’s worth. So, we are in agreement then that it expanded playoff format would not in any way disenfranchise any of the “good teams” but would give more teams access to a meaningful postseason. Kind a hard to find a fault in that, no?

I don't give a fig about your "disenfranchisement of good teams"...I have posited my thoughts....only the best teams based on their body of work should play for a national championship, no AQ's .......I also don't give a rat's patootie about hand wringing cries of "meaningful postseason for most teams". Meaningful in what way? A bowl that you can win, or a guaranteed loss in a meaningless tournament appearance ?

I am not a fan of the basketball model for football, plain and simple....where making the tournament of 64 is a milestone...and the bottom seeded half of the teams, from the get go, have zero chance of winning the NC. And the season is really the Month of March. But I can see why a basketball oriented fan base might be more oriented to that model.

You agree, that in basketball, with 87% of the Championships having been won by seeds #1-3...and zero seed s #9-16 ever making a Final, that the best win...No?

The difference in football is....In football, every Saturday is part of the playoff....

I would submit that college football is a tournament. It’s a form of madness that is spread out over the weekends of three to four months rather than packed into three to four weeks. The upsets can be quite dramatic in both cases but the power house teams tend to be frequent championship contenders.

You might even consider the polling as a form of the seeding or bracket. While the tournament of college football might not unravel quite as clearly as a bracketed tournament setup, in reality it’s fairly similar. Teams are knocked off, the polls like the brackets are updated, and with each set of games, we get closer to a final championship match.

March Madness enjoys its place in American sports as a unique form of competition. I do enjoy March Madness and that college basketball crowns its champion with the 64 team tournament.

Rather than push a mirror image of March Madness onto college football while ignoring the real differences between the sports, enjoy and celebrate both sports.

And as an aside...I do think that there will be a playoff expansion...but in the realm of maybe 8-12 teams. And may they be the best...whether seeded by computer or committee.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't give a fig about your "disenfranchisement of good teams"...I have posited my thoughts....only the best teams based on their body of work should play for a national championship.
Apparently you do, because you keep saying only “the best teams” should play for a national championship. So, apparently, you are afraid that some ‘unworthy team’ will play for a national championship. Because there are only two alternatives right? Either “the best teams“ will play for a national championship and your fear is baseless, or another team will win in the playoffs and thus earned the right to compete for a national championship. If you believe the form will happen, then your supposed complaint is baseless. If you believe the latter will happen, then I will respectfully submit that having another team earn their way to the championship qualifies them to compete for it.

Reaction Score
CL 82...I have explained my thinking.....now go away...I find your bleats tiresome.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL 82...I have explained my thinking.....now go away...I find your bleats tiresome.
If you are going to tag me use the @ symbol before my handle without spaces, then I will see that you posted.

Didn’t intend to offend you in the least. It just seemed that your position is logically inconsistent. But here’s the thing, posting on a fan form is a conversation not a monologue. If reading about the logical fallacies in your position is tiresome to you, perhaps it’s not your thing.

Reaction Score
If you are going to tag me use the @ symbol before my handle without spaces, then I will see that you posted.

Didn’t intend to offend you in the least. It just seemed that your position is logically inconsistent. But here’s the thing, posting on a fan form is a conversation not a monologue. If reading about the logical fallacies in your position is tiresome to you, perhaps it’s not your thing.

Your thing is not posting your position or thoughts..and it is not a "conversation" with you..it is cutesy game playing....my thoughts are quite coherent, You don't agree with them, so you play your games...

I get it that you want a basketball style tourney, you get it that I think that's not for football...and you get it that I think that the regular season in basketball is not that important and I think that the regular season in football is is. I get it that you think in terms of March Madness...

We have said it all...

CL82

Reaction Score
Your thing is not posting your position or thoughts..and it is not a "conversation" with you..it is cutesy game playing....my thoughts are quite coherent, You don't agree with them, so you play your games...

I get it that you want a basketball style tourney, you get it that I think that's not for football...and you get it that I think that the regular season in basketball is not that important and I think that the regular season in football is is. I get it that you think in terms of March Madness...

We have said it all...
Lol, I'm sorry if you feel threatened by someone disagreeing with you, but that's pretty standard fair for a message board.

FWIW, I still don't understand what your concern is, because you've been all over the place. I mean now you are drifting off to a "basketball style tourney" red herring. You understand no one is suggesting a 64 team playoff, right? Do you understand why that would not work logistically with football?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No...football isn't basketball....in basketball, if you catch a couple of elite players and have serviceable support...you can be a NC contender....

Not so in football.......

And, in football, with only 12 games in regular season...the regular season is part of the playoff....

And, in the basketball tourney, fully half of the seeds have never, ever, won an NC...seeds 9-16 are just there to cheer Cinderella's but have no chance to win the tournament...and they have not.

We don't whine that seeds #1-3 have won 87% of the tournaments...because we actually think that seeds #9-16 could...despite the history...magical thinking at its best.

Point noted that 9-16 seeds haven’t won the tourney. But there are four different regions. So if we want to compare to football on a 16 team playoff, it would be akin to 4 seeds in basketball. And four seeds have won.

And I would also note that number one seeds are often knocked out in basketball by lower seeds - sometimes significantly lower.

16 teams is perfect for football. This avoids excluding teams that can actually win it all. Sometimes a team might have a great record in a P5 conference but actually be overrated - let’s use FSU as an example. I forget the year but they were a 3 seed and got embarrassed by 40 points in the opening round. There is no way that you can tell me there werent multiple teams equally deserving that year.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score

1,,,Alabama
2...Clemson
3...Ohio State
4...Notre Dame
5...Cincinnati
6...Texas A&M
7...Oklahoma
8...Georgia
9....BYU
10...Indiana
11...Florida
12...Iowa State
AQ's make The Tournament interesting. It would do the same in football. You want to get into the tournament? Earn it. Don't rely on the name recognition. Oh, one more thing: No single conference gets more than 3 teams.

Not everyone had the same number of data points in 2020, so for 2019:

ACC-Clemson (3)
Big XII-Oklahoma (4)
Big Ten-tOSU (1)
SEC-LSU (2)
PAC12-Oregon (5)

G5:
Memphis (9; 11/12 team field)
Boise State (10, 12/12)

WC:
Georgia (6)
Wisconsin (7)
Penn State (8)
Florida (9 only in a 12 team field)
Notre Dame (10 only in a 12 team field)

Play in round match-ups for a 10 team set up would be:
Boise St. at Wisconsin
Memphis at Penn State

Round 1:
OSU vs. lowest remaining of BSU/MU/PSU
LSU vs. 2nd lowest remaining of Wisc./MU/PSU
Georgia at Clemson
Oregon at Oklahoma

Semis (Neutral site Bowl location)
Highest remaining seed vs. Lowest remaining
Middle seeds

In a 12 team format, OSU, LSU, Clemson, and, Oklahoma get byes and 1st rd. matchups would be Boise St. at Oregon, Memphis at Georgia, Notre Dame at Wisconsin, and Florida at Penn State. Again, re-seed after every round.

The betting, thereby interest, thereby ratings, and thereby money would be through the freaking roof.

Reaction Score
Point noted that 9-16 seeds haven’t won the tourney. But there are four different regions. So if we want to compare to football on a 16 team playoff, it would be akin to 4 seeds in basketball. And four seeds have won.

And I would also note that number one seeds are often knocked out in basketball by lower seeds - sometimes significantly lower.

16 teams is perfect for football. This avoids excluding teams that can actually win it all. Sometimes a team might have a great record in a P5 conference but actually be overrated - let’s use FSU as an example. I forget the year but they were a 3 seed and got embarrassed by 40 points in the opening round. There is no way that you can tell me there werent multiple teams equally deserving that year.

Yes...a good team can have a bad game or match up in the playoff as FSU did with Oregon...or Ohio State did when they were waxed 31-0 and 49-28 by Clemson, or Alabama when beaten 44-16 in the championship game by Clemson....Alabama blasting the Buckeyes 52-24...or LSU beating Oklahoma 63-28....or Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0....etc.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes...a good team can have a bad game or match up in the playoff as FSU did with Oregon...or Ohio State did when they were waxed 31-0 and 49-28 by Clemson, or Alabama when beaten 44-16 in the championship game by Clemson....Alabama blasting the Buckeyes 52-24...or LSU beating Oklahoma 63-28....or Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0....etc.
What's your point? Are you trying to say the selection process should guard against a powerhouse from being upset?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom