College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options | Page 9 | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just so many ways to bat down bad ideas, false analogies, and unsubstantiated claims.

I posted that in October 2014. I am surprised it took this long to start seriously looking at expanding the playoffs. The bowls' have deep hooks into the administrations at the P5 schools.

I did not appreciate at the time how much a 4 team playoff would concentrate talent in college football. With only 4 playoff spots, either a top player is on one of a handful of teams, or he is probably not getting in the playoffs. A 4 team playoff means that maybe 8 to 10 teams have a realistic shot of making the playoff any given season. An 8 team playoff probably expands that range to 20 to 30 teams.

Every Athletic Director in the P5 is an idiot if he/she does not look at what happened to the G5 schools and know that some version of that could happen to their school. How long are Clemson or tOSU or Texas/Oklahoma going to carry their leagues before demanding a bigger and bigger share of the pie?

Greater access to the playoffs is better for everyone, especially the non-Clemson/Alabama P5 schools. "Greater access" to the playoffs really means 4 more P5 schools going to the playoffs. That is a win for everybody (that matters).

Can't be. Conference championship are more important than the national championship. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just so many ways to bat down bad ideas, false analogies, and unsubstantiated claims.

Can't be. Conference championship are more important than the national championship. :rolleyes:
Not more important but if you limit participation to 4 it should be a minimum qualification. I agree with Nelson’s analysis though. Even the Michigan’s and Southern Cals of the world risk getting left out. And how many times can Oklahoma, say, get blown out before top recruits question whether it really is worth risking it only to be embarrassed. And if you are a mid-level or low level P5 member like Boston College or Illinois or Cal you have to wonder how long Clemson and Ohio State and Oregon will be willing to support you

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not more important but if you limit participation to 4 it should be a minimum qualification. I agree with Nelson’s analysis though. Even the Michigan’s and Southern Cals of the world risk getting left out. And how many times can Oklahoma, say, get blown out before top recruits question whether it really is worth risking it only to be embarrassed. And if you are a mid-level or low level P5 member like Boston College or Illinois or Cal you have to wonder how long Clemson and Ohio State and Oregon will be willing to support you

Without Boston College, Illinois, and Cal, the USCs, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the World can't got 12-0. They need the bottom feeders.

Reaction Score
Without Boston College, Illinois, and Cal, the USCs, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the World can't got 12-0. They need the bottom feeders.
Under current circumstances they need the bottom feeders.

If we are into NCAA super league territory, and the offer on the table is $2-300M per participant, BC and Illinois end up where UConn and NIU are now.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Under current circumstances they need the bottom feeders.

If we are into NCAA super league territory, and the offer on the table is $2-300M per participant, BC and Illinois end up where UConn and NIU are now.

Super league kills the golden goose once and for all.

I think they know that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom