Cole and Gaff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cole and Gaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK, at least some Yarders are seeing what I'm seeing. I was taking heat early on!
Its not on you or Cole, I'm pretty sure they ran AG off because Gaff was the answer. Don't sweat it.

Reaction Score
Cole is like a reincarnation of alterique with a little better shooting. Drive into the lane and pray

Reaction Score
They combined for 12 points. That is unacceptable for this team to be successful. One of them needs to do that on their own each game. I don't care who, just one of them.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I think both Gaff and Cole will improve. But Cole is limited as a PG, he needs to make shots if he’s going to be on the floor. Otherwise no reason for him to be there. Gaff needs to do a better job of setting up other players driving and dishing, then hitting the occasional open shot to keep the D honest.

Reaction Score
OK, at least some Yarders are seeing what I'm seeing. I was taking heat early on!

I’ve been saying that from the beginning. Cole is a bench player. He can’t be your starting point guard if you want to be good.

Reaction Score
we will be stuck in this no man’s land all year between these two.

cole is a small scoring guard miscast as a pg. he is a rich man’s alterique.

gaffney is never really a threat with the ball. but he is naturally deferential so he is more of a “true” pg.

if we could merge them together we would be set.

Reaction Score
Too early still but I am concerned about our PG play, both ends. Needs to get a lot better, both of course.

I will say this when a team wants to shove zone in your face why do you need to play a PG. Anyone can pass it back and forth on top so let’s throw a Bouk Martin Polley/Adams/Jackson and 2 bigs. No reason not to try.

Reaction Score
we will be stuck in this no man’s land all year between these two.

cole is a small scoring guard miscast as a pg. he is a rich man’s alterique.

gaffney is never really a threat with the ball. but he is naturally deferential so he is more of a “true” pg.

if we could merge them together we would be set.

Rich mans Alterique? Please let me make that trade right now, please.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I’ve been saying that from the beginning. Cole is a bench player. He can’t be your starting point guard if you want to be good.
During the off season everyone was rah rah Cole. I was like wait a minute...he hasn't shown anyone anything yet. Howard doesn't count. And Gaffney!

Reaction Score
Cole will be better. He needs to find his spots. He is used to be being the primary scorer. This isn’t Howard. There he was in control of the game at all times. Now, he is expected to distribute, which isn’t his primary talent.

Gaffney continues to play like a combo guard, not a pure point. He just doesn’t have the instincts of a great pg at this point. He looks like a a solid jack of all trades. We need so much more out of him. He reminds me of Craig Austrie with more athleticism. (Which he rarely shows us)

I am hoping they figure it out and things click. The staff seems to think they have talented point guards or they’d have kept AG around. I’ll rely on their judgment. Still, I can’t help but long for Rashool Diggins to arrive. He is a genuine, big time point guard.

Reaction Score
Cole is not Alterique and not a version of Khalid. Hoping he can at least be a Karl Hobbs level contributor but his shooting was erratic tonight. Gaffney going to have to step up and work on his driving skills. We got pretty stale on the perimeter late in this game.

Reaction Score
Both play more like combo guards. Neither seems like pure point guards. Bouk seems like the only creator going towards the rim and is the only guy who can create his own shot. Gaff is a bit timid. He is fine going north/south in the open court, but he struggles to get by anyone or create space in the half court when the defender is up on him. He is not good at the end of the shot clock because of this. He can run the offense by moving the ball and hitting the open man, but struggles to create offense on his own off the bounce. Cole seems like an undersized scoring combo guard. Not a bad thing but we seem to lack that traditional dynamic point that can get by defenders and create offense for themselves and others. Even creating space off the dribble to launch 3 is a challenge. I like both players and they will improve, but neither seem to be dynamic lead guards that will take pressure off Bouk. Diggins will play a lot next year if he is who we think/hope he is.

Reaction Score
Each point guard has played about 60 minutes of basketball this season. Let’s wait a few more games before jumping to conclusions.

1607048816274.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak