Cole and Gaff | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cole and Gaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will have to watch the numbers on these guys. As someone said, Cole was +17 and Gaffney was -11. That jives with my gut during the game. We are better with Cole out there. I think that’s primarily because Gaff doesn’t even consider shooting the ball.

There are lots of takes on Cole, too slow, too short, not good enough etc. This guy was double teamed against high major competition while at Howard and put up big numbers. I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. Nobody looks very good, yet we are loaded with talent on paper. Some of these guys will break out. We are just a disorganized mess on offense right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This team lost last season’s principal scorer and playmaker in CV. Then they lost to critical weeks of practice. Because of that they have stretches where we look flat and have no flow. Are the point guards to blame for that? Sure, somewhat, but a lot of our struggles are going to be fixed by more time together.

Reaction Score
We will have to watch the numbers on these guys. As someone said, Cole was +17 and Gaffney was -11. That jives with my gut during the game. We are better with Cole out there. I think that’s primarily because Gaff doesn’t even consider shooting the ball.

There are lots of takes on Cole, too slow, too short, not good enough etc. This guy was double teamed against high major competition while at Howard and put up big numbers. I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. Nobody looks very good, yet we are loaded with talent on paper. Some of these guys will break out. We are just a disorganized mess on offense right now.
Plus/minus is not a useful stat to look at for one game. It can be helpful to look at players’ plus/minus numbers on the season, but there are too many mitigating factors for it to be useful with a one-game sample size.

Gaffney is not the most dynamic player we’ve had, but the offense runs a bit better when he’s out there. My personal preference would be to start Gaffney, Bouknight, and Martin with Cole playing starter-like minutes off the bench (and Adams playing sparingly). But we’ll see - Cole has played a little too well so far to come off the bench, it seems.

Reaction Score

We are just a disorganized mess on offense right now.
those +/- numbers don’t factor in who‘s on the court with each. Didnt Cole play more with
Bouk? I know Cole started.

on your second point agree 100%

Reaction Score
In both halfs the offense slowed to a crawl with Gaffney at the point. They need to push more. Look for quick offense.
Plus/minus is not a useful stat to look at for one game. It can be helpful to look at players’ plus/minus numbers on the season, but there are too many mitigating factors for it to be useful with a one-game sample size.

Gaffney is not the most dynamic player we’ve had, but the offense runs a bit better when he’s out there. My personal preference would be to start Gaffney, Bouknight, and Martin with Cole playing starter-like minutes off the bench (and Adams playing sparingly). But we’ll see - Cole has played a little too well so far to come off the bench, it seems.

I don’t at all disagree on the plus/minus sample size. Just saying, I felt in my gut what the numbers bore out.

Gaffney isn’t an offensive threat. That makes it harder for everyone else to score. He’s got to be offensively aggressive or Cole will probably continue to produce better plus/minus numbers.

Reaction Score
He has moved up in class by a lot. That rarely works out. As much as everyone wants to believe, he is small, slow, and is playing against much more talent now than in the MEAC. And there is usually a reason that why some guys get MEAC offers and others get Bug East offers. Honestly if he hadn’t played for Daddy my guess is he either stays in the MEAC or maybe goes to something like the Missouri Valley conference.

Reaction Score
He has moved up in class by a lot. That rarely works out. As much as everyone wants to believe, he is small, slow, and is playing against much more talent now than in the MEAC. And there is usually a reason that why some guys get MEAC offers and others get Bug East offers. Honestly if he hadn’t played for Daddy my guess is he either stays in the MEAC or maybe goes to something like the Missouri Valley conference.

So 4 assists and 5 rebounds with only 1 turnover means he shouldn't be playing at this level? His guy didn't tear things up either so his D was fine. He hits one or two more threes then he has 12/5/4 and your not saying anything.

Its not easy to playmake against a zone. Hurley wanted to go to the middle of the zone and let that person either pass to baseline, swing to a shooter or shoot it himself. Cole and Gaff didnt try to force themsleves into the zone and turn it over as Bouk did like 3 times. Sure thats playing it safe and passive but we won and its only game 3.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Alabama were the other schools Cole was considering as a transfer when he chose UConn. Oklahoma State, Pitt, Notre Dame, St. John's, Butler, Virginia Tech, Arkansas Colorado State, Boston College, Washington State & Stanford all reached out to him when he decided to transfer. The Missouri Valley Conference sure looks different than I remember.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was named a honorable mention All American by the AP his sophmore year, but no one would want him outside of the MEAC or Missouri Valley.

Freescooter takes are always fun.

He hadn't played a competitive game in what, a year and a half, coming into the season? Then had a massive amount of practice cancelled. Still shooting 41% from 3 on 6 attempts per game.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
One improvement I’ve seen with the guard play from previous years is the disappearance of the crazy drives to the basket. That used to drive me nuts.

Reaction Score
Double digit scorer and 40% from deep. If anyone thought Cole was going to be a 1 year here & then to the league, that’s on you....also, he’s in his 3rd live game after a year off. Pump the brakes everyone

combined they are like 20 ppg & 40% from deep. What was everyone expecting from them?

Reaction Score
I don't think we should start Martin. He's the kind of kid who can watch the game and figure out what we need, then come in and supply it. He also has a calmness and confidence about him that could help the team at important moments in the game. He's a very valuable piece. I like the way Hurley is using him.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you said. Guys are still figuring out their roles and getting comfortable with each other. We obviously have the talent/ingredients to be a good team, which is half the battle. Once roles are more defined and guys buy in, we’ll be on that upward trajectory. I’m very excited!

edit: I meant to quote @CL82

Reaction Score
I have to wonder where people are getting “the offense runs better with Gaffney”? It wasn’t the case at all last night, and it wasn’t the case against Hartford.

Reaction Score
Gaffney isn’t an offensive threat. That makes it harder for everyone else to score. He’s got to be offensively aggressive or Cole will probably continue to produce better plus/minus numbers.
Bingo!

If gaffney isn’t a threat to penetrate/score, then he won’t be creating much offense for the rest of the team. He plays it safe which limits his downside, but puts a ceiling on his upside as well.

We need either:
* Gaffney to attack more
* Cole to facilitate more

Whoever does that first will be the guy.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder where people are getting “the offense runs better with Gaffney”? It wasn’t the case at all last night, and it wasn’t the case against Hartford.

I honestly didn’t see it last year either when everyone said we were so much better. The fact Bouk found himself and Vital finally started making shots was the main reason. And AG was better the last 7 games in his decision making and obviously a lot better than these 2 on the other end. I get he “calmed things down last year” when both CV and AG we’re struggling and when he came in he didn’t make those mistakes which was needed. But he hasn’t made plays all that much and just bouncing and passing it so far from the basket isn’t what we will need to improve offensively. For now neither are what we will need as we get into the Big East we need more from one for sure. It’s early let’s see what happens, for now Cole has the edge but it’s not a large one. The one thing I am sure of we don’t need many minutes of them together!

Reaction Score
@XLCenterFan the problem with your take isn’t that you have been underwhelmed by his play so far it’s that you said he is only here because he played for hurley senior. That’s the awful part of the take. The kid could have went to a number of high majors including Alabama and seton hall. Hurley recruited him because he’s a good player. He will play better than he is right now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
cool. now do the part aboot our win percentage when jmoney starts or plays big minutes.
outstanding. we can't talk aboot his turnovers, cuz he has like none. also outstanding. my only real concern was cole would turn out to be al v. 2.0. he's not. he's way better. noice.
winning ain't everything, it's the only thing.

Reaction Score
Gaffney seems more of a 2 but he doesn't look to score enough. Neither guard looks to penetrate and our offense lacks any motion other than around the perimeter. I think RJ will impress as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Let's have a bit more patience. USC was a much better upgrade from the prior two games and we got the W. Remember this team is steal developing and identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom