COBRA Kai | Page 4 | The Boneyard

COBRA Kai

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Courtney Henggeler is 42
Yeah, I didn't recognize her but looked her up on IMDB and had an a ha moment, she was Sheldon's hot sister.

Reaction Score
Just wrapped it up and I thought the season 3 finale was great.

SPOILER:

I really wasn't sure what they were going to do with Ali so that was intriguing, and I was 100% sure Johnny would somehow screw something up suddenly having two lady friends. What they did with Hawk in episode 3-10 just didn't make any sense. I thought he'd come around eventually but not that way. The Vietnam scenes were good. Very entertaining series.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This just dawned on me--fans of the original KK might enjoy "Never Back Down." It's practically the same story. New kid in town, falls for a girl, immediately runs afoul of the toughest, baddest kid around, gets his butt handed to him. Instead of karate it's the hip new world of MMA and it's been moved to Florida instead of California. New kid finds a wise martial arts instructor. Gets his butt kicked another time or two but improves rapidly as a fighter. Of course heading to a climactic showdown at a tournament, although this one is an underground thing rather than an officially sanctioned event. It's pretty cheesy, but entertaining. The instructor, Djimon Hounsou, probably elevates this to being better than it should be. The lead (Sean Faris) kinda looks like a young Tom Cruise, although his career is not tracking the same, I don't think I've seen him since. The girl (Amber Heard), the goofy best friend (Evan Peters) and the arch nemesis (Cam Gigandet) all found steady work after this.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This just dawned on me--fans of the original KK might enjoy "Never Back Down." It's practically the same story. New kid in town, falls for a girl, immediately runs afoul of the toughest, baddest kid around, gets his butt handed to him. Instead of karate it's the hip new world of MMA and it's been moved to Florida instead of California. New kid finds a wise martial arts instructor. Gets his butt kicked another time or two but improves rapidly as a fighter. Of course heading to a climactic showdown at a tournament, although this one is an underground thing rather than an officially sanctioned event. It's pretty cheesy, but entertaining. The instructor, Djimon Hounsou, probably elevates this to being better than it should be. The lead (Sean Faris) kinda looks like a young Tom Cruise, although his career is not tracking the same, I don't think I've seen him since. The girl (Amber Heard), the goofy best friend (Evan Peters) and the arch nemesis (Cam Gigandet) all found steady work after this.

I saw this in college.

I loved it.

The slight difference is that the bully actually seeks him out for basically no other reason than he can.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just started this show tonight. It’s great so far. I am hoping Johnny realizes that the Cobra Kai approach isn’t ideal, he’s the good guy so far. Rooting for him. Side note: Daniel’s wife and especially daughter are wow worthy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Season 3 is going off the rails for me. The Vietnam flashback scenes were totally cringy, and Johnny curing a spinal cord injury and partial paralysis w/ pure stupidity? Okay...

Daniel going back to Okinawa is just about the only worthwhile thing to happen so far this season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m still in season 1, episode 8. Observations
  • Larusso’s daughter is even more attractive than Shue
  • Miguel’s mom is hot
  • Daniel did pretty well for himself too
So Johnny now has the losers like Daniel was, but is still teaching them badly.
Daniel has become a complete A hole, but is redeeming Johnny’s kid.

In short, had these morons had an adult conversation they would open a joint Dojo, save all these kids from being useless dorks. The poor kid would get Daniel’s daughter and Johnny’s kid would have a future.

Reaction Score
I’m still in season 1, episode 8. Observations
  • Larusso’s daughter is even more attractive than Shue
  • Miguel’s mom is hot
  • Daniel did pretty well for himself too
So Johnny now has the losers like Daniel was, but is still teaching them badly.
Daniel has become a complete A hole, but is redeeming Johnny’s kid.

In short, had these morons had an adult conversation they would open a joint Dojo, save all these kids from being useless dorks. The poor kid would get Daniel’s daughter and Johnny’s kid would have a future.
  • I'm gonna have to side with Shue as being most attractive, at least until season 2.
  • Concur
  • wax on wax off pay off
Enjoy the ride. I've already said too much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Honestly it makes me feel better when I think an actress portraying a teen is hot, reaffirms that I'm not a total creep. Marie Avgeropoulos is a smoke show. Mary Mouser is getting a little too much cheddar if you know what I mean.

The 100 was just loaded with attractive girls. And while she also might carry too much cheddar I really had a thing for Eliza Taylor.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see your insights after you get through seasons 2 and 3.

Finished Season 2. I am really bummed for Johnny. This guy is so unlucky. Does the right thing and loses his dojo. Finally connects with Carmen, and seemingly gets past the rivalry with Daniel, and his kid wrecks Miguel, who properly shows mercy. So that will be the end of that. The adults figure their crap out and the kids screw it up.

the Q

Reaction Score
Finished Season 2. I am really bummed for Johnny. This guy is so unlucky. Does the right thing and loses his dojo. Finally connects with Carmen, and seemingly gets past the rivalry with Daniel, and his kid wrecks Miguel, who properly shows mercy. So that will be the end of that. The adults figure their crap out and the kids screw it up.

I don’t love the way the whole fight scene went down.

But it gets worse at the start of s3 imo.

But after the tournament, Miguel should not have won clean like that. They still could’ve told that story without that part.

Poor Robby, he tries to stop the fight, successfully does for about 3 seconds before Miguel Re-escalates again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t love the way the whole fight scene went down.

But it gets worse at the start of s3 imo.

But after the tournament, Miguel should not have won clean like that. They still could’ve told that story without that part.

Poor Robby, he tries to stop the fight, successfully does for about 3 seconds before Miguel Re-escalates again.

I started season 3 last night. Seems ok so far.

the Q

Reaction Score
I started season 3 last night. Seems ok so far.

Why is Robby the only one facing repercussions for self defense?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why is Robby the only one facing repercussions for self defense?

He paralyzed someone. He then ran. And Miguel had stopped, and Robby didn't need to kick him. It was just him being angry. But the whole fight was stupid. In reality many of them would be charged.

the Q

Reaction Score
He paralyzed someone. He then ran. And Miguel had stopped, and Robby didn't need to kick him. It was just him being angry. But the whole fight was stupid. In reality many of them would be charged.

He was still standing over him in a Vulnerable position.

The reasonable person would’ve thought they were still in danger

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a spoiler, but that fight in the high school may be the most ridiculously enjoyable fight I've seen in some time. The cheesey factor was just off the charts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was still standing over him in a Vulnerable position.

The reasonable person would’ve thought they were still in danger

Very little in any of the plot lines are "reasonable".

Which gives the writers plenty of leeway to start/stop/change plot lines.

the Q

Reaction Score
Very little in any of the plot lines are "reasonable".

Which gives the writers plenty of leeway to start/stop/change plot lines.

Sorry, I know HH is an attorney, so I was dropping the reasonable person standard on him for a self defense argument.

But yes, you are 100% right. Especially the s3 finale

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Win with honor and show Mercy vs. Show No mercy.

It was a set up of Miyagido philosophy vs Cobra Kai philosophy juxtaposed against the two kids trading roles.

The literary concepts are valid. Man vs Self, Man vs Man, etc

Having the HS kids start a melee and mostly come away unscathed by the legal system and school system is the leap of faith.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Having the HS kids start a melee and mostly come away unscathed by the legal system and school system is the leap of faith.
The real head scratcher is, how did the only adult who participated in the fight, who was pretending to be a security guard but hadn't actually been hired by the school, get off scot free?

the Q

Reaction Score
The real head scratcher is, how did the only adult who participated in the fight, who was pretending to be a security guard but hadn't actually been hired by the school, get off scot free?

And was apparently a kiddie diddler (in the beginning of s3 they mention he already wasn’t allowed to be within 500 ft of children)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And was apparently a kiddie diddler (in the beginning of s3 they mention he already wasn’t allowed to be within 500 ft of children)
I didn't remember that part. Ick.

the Q

Reaction Score
I didn't remember that part. Ick.

I believe it was in the PTO meeting to start season 3. The same one where the guy yells out to Daniel that he heard he was the bully

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom