COBRA Kai | Page 3 | The Boneyard

COBRA Kai

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Magic 8 ball says: don’t get your hopes up
I took a break for several days but got back to it and finished Season 1.

Kinda weird how fast the bullied turn into the bullies in this show.

Reaction Score
No spoilers here.

I am hesitant to post here until I am finished and caught up. I am almost done with season 2. The show is kind of cheesy but I am completely hooked. I sit down and watch 3 episodes at a time. I especially like the '80s sound. Both Daniel and Johnny are great characters and what you would expect their older selves to be.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
No spoilers here.

I am hesitant to post here until I am finished and caught up. I am almost done with season 2. The show is kind of cheesy but I am completely hooked. I sit down and watch 3 episodes at a time. I especially like the '80s sound. Both Daniel and Johnny are great characters and what you would expect their older selves to be.
I want to root against Daniel but he’s ultimately a really good guy. I root for Johnny but he shoots himself in the foot every chance he gets. The show is simple in so many ways but it’s just really well done.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
About halfway thru Season 2. Hawk has now surged ahead as the worst character. You can always count on him to do the wrong thing, in any circumstance. Idiot.

A close #2 would be Kreese. He needs to go away.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Odd fact, the actresses who play Samantha LaRusso and Yasmine were both born in 1996, so another case of high schoolers in their mid 20s.

But of course Ralph Macchio was born in '61 and the original Karate Kid was '84, so...

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Odd fact, the actresses who play Samantha LaRusso and Yasmine were both born in 1996, so another case of high schoolers in their mid 20s.

But of course Ralph Macchio was born in '61 and the original Karate Kid was '84, so...
I watched a handful of “the 100” episodes on Netflix. Some of the characters are prisoners under 18 - one being Marie Avgeropoulos. If my math is correct at the time of the first episode she was 28 playing a 17 year old.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched a handful of “the 100” episodes on Netflix. Some of the characters are prisoners under 18 - one being Marie Avgeropoulos. If my math is correct at the time of the first episode she was 28 playing a 17 year old.
Yeah, Hollywood math. I like Britt Robertson, she was portraying teenagers for at least a solid decade. She looks younger than she is, but by the time she was pushing 30 it wasn't working anymore.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This didn't quite dawn on me last night. It's almost impossible to believe that dude will be turning 60. He could pass for 40 something.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

If you are unwilling to suspend your disbelief on high schoolers ages, You're in for an awakening for at the end of S2.

The show is pure cheese. Enjoy it as such.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you are unwilling to suspend your disbelief on high schoolers ages, You're in for an awakening for at the end of S2.

uh oh...

Mary Mouser actually looks fairly young and I don't think I've seen her in anything else, so I had no idea how old she is until I looked it up.

The actress who plays Tory has been appearing on TV and in films for forever, but she's actually younger than Mouser.

huskypantz

Reaction Score

Honestly it makes me feel better when I think an actress portraying a teen is hot, reaffirms that I'm not a total creep. Marie Avgeropoulos is a smoke show. Mary Mouser is getting a little too much cheddar if you know what I mean.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Honestly it makes me feel better when I think an actress portraying a teen is hot, reaffirms that I'm not a total creep.
can neither confirm nor deny I had the same thought...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nice call back w/ "Cruel Summer" being played during final episode of season 2.

I think I'm fully hooked, but there's so many characters I don't like. And even the characters I do like keep doing such stupid things. I feel like a junkie, I know it's not gonna make me happy but I keep going back for a fix. :eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So just checking...Johnny very likely is a functional alcoholic, right? Who also drives while under the influence constantly. That part I don't need to check on, it's quite clear. But I guess Daniel drives under the influence sometimes too.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
So just checking...Johnny very likely is a functional alcoholic, right? Who also drives while under the influence constantly. That part I don't need to check on, it's quite clear. But I guess Daniel drives under the influence sometimes too.
Other than anger management issues, violent behavior, difficulty maintaining employment, poor family relationships- I guess Johnny is a functional alcoholic.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Other than anger management issues, violent behavior, difficulty maintaining employment, poor family relationships- I guess Johnny is a functional alcoholic.
Well...some people have those issues without substance abuse problems. I guess by functional I meant he's not passed out most of the day, laying on a sidewalk or something.

I guess it's kind of an elephant in the room, because he's drinking in so many scenes, and nobody has brought it up with him once in 2 seasons. Or maybe nobody cares about him enough to confront him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well...some people have those issues without substance abuse problems. I guess by functional I meant he's not passed out most of the day, laying on a sidewalk or something.

I guess it's kind of an elephant in the room, because he's drinking in so many scenes, and nobody has brought it up with him once in 2 seasons. Or maybe nobody cares about him enough to confront him.

This is one of the many aspects of the show that can not be analyzed too closely. The teenagers have committed multiple serious felonies, and the fight at the end of Season 3 would have resulted in extended jail terms for most of Cobra Kai.

While I try to just enjoy the nostalgia combined with karate, my issue is that if the characters can do all of this crazy behavior without consequences, then none of it matters. So I don't watch it too closely. Johnny and Larusa are good for some comedic moments every episode, and the show's approach of treating Johnny like he is a time traveler from the 80's is amusing. I don't look for too much more out of it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is one of the many aspects of the show that can not be analyzed too closely. The teenagers have committed multiple serious felonies, and the fight at the end of Season 3 would have resulted in extended jail terms for most of Cobra Kai.

While I try to just enjoy the nostalgia combined with karate, my issue is that if the characters can do all of this crazy behavior without consequences, then none of it matters. So I don't watch it too closely. Johnny and Larusa are good for some comedic moments every episode, and the show's approach of treating Johnny like he is a time traveler from the 80's is amusing. I don't look for too much more out of it.

There's another one at the end of Season 3? Dude, spoiler alert!!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's another one at the end of Season 3? Dude, spoiler alert!!
I thought I'd seen one in the trailer for season 3, but then I saw the finale for season 2 so I thought I was just confused. Now I know.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Okay, I'll try the approach of not really thinking about it. The driving after drinking really bothers me though. That's a very serious issue IRL. It's a really popular show, right? That seems massively irresponsible on the part of the creators of the show to treat it so casually. They don't really show it, but they show Johnny out drinking all the time, and then he's home, and his car is there, so obviously he drove himself home.

Reaction Score
I am just about done with season 3 and I fully expect a fight to break out between these nitwits at any moment. I don't know why but I really enjoy watching Johnny and Daniel, and their significant others. Daniel, talk about marrying over his head. Daniel and his constant Mr. Miyagi and Johnny with his Bad *ss obsession, it's off but it's fun to watch. I like the '80's theme with the music and maybe their casual drinking comes from that era. I appreciate the show isn't overly concerned with being PC and let's face it, most people we know who drink probably drink more than they should. I'm sure it's a little more difficult to open a Dojo and there are likely many in that area so that part isn't very realistic, but I just enjoy it for the entertainment.

Today in real life Ralph Macchio is 59 (amazing), Courtney Henggeler is 42. William Zabka is 55, Vanessa Rubio is 37.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am just about done with season 3 and I fully expect a fight to break out between these nitwits at any moment. I don't know why but I really enjoy watching Johnny and Daniel, and their significant others. Daniel, talk about marrying over his head. Daniel and his constant Mr. Miyagi and Johnny with his Bad *ss obsession, it's off but it's fun to watch. I like the '80's theme with the music and maybe their casual drinking comes from that era. I appreciate the show isn't overly concerned with being PC and let's face it, most people we know who drink probably drink more than they should. I'm sure it's a little more difficult to open a Dojo and there are likely many in that area so that part isn't very realistic, but I just enjoy it for the entertainment.

Today in real life Ralph Macchio is 59 (amazing), Courtney Henggeler is 42. William Zabka is 55, Vanessa Rubio is 37.

I mean did you see how many dojo’s were at the tournament in s1?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom