Coaching staff hasn't a clue | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching staff hasn't a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There is zero respect from the head coach towards us - so that makes us even I guess.
The only slack I can cut him on this topic is that there is no way to talk to the public about what he's doing that isn't going to aggravate large numbers of people -- he's just got to wear his body armor until he starts winning games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only slack I can cut him on this topic is that there is no way to talk to the public about what he's doing that isn't going to aggravate large numbers of people -- he's just got to wear his body armor until he starts winning games.

There are plenty of things you can say that reflect that you own the results.

There are things to not say: Tim Boyle owned the offense - on a night you got shut out and couldn't move the ball and inch. Followed 2 days later: We have to see how practice goes to know if he starts.

Whitmer's role hasn't changed... other than he isn't you know... playing quarterback.

You cash the 7 figure check? You own 2-9. Stop blaming the past regime - because if anyone is left paying attention they were better last year than this year and if you witnessed last year that seems as though it would be an impossibility.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

There are things to not say: Tim Boyle owned the offense - on a night you got shut out and couldn't move the ball and inch. Followed 2 days later: We have to see how practice goes to know if he starts.

Whitmer's role hasn't changed... other than he isn't you know... playing quarterback.

You cash the 7 figure check? You own 2-9. Stop blaming the past regime - because if anyone is left paying attention they were better last year than this year and if you witnessed last year that seems as though it would be an impossibility.

blah, blah, blah.

You like to say the same thing over and over again.

Diaco has a plan. He blew up this year to implement it.

Its too early to tell if the plan will work - I think UConn will win conference championships soon - but pleasing you in press conference isn't part of the plan. Get over it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

There are things to not say: Tim Boyle owned the offense - on a night you got shut out and couldn't move the ball and inch.

So he should be throwing Boyle under the bus instead? Or would you rather he decapitate himself and offer you his head on a platter?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Adding 1+1 and coming up with 3 is actually your logic Dan.

If, after 2-3 years Uconn football is still trending down (for the sanity of this board, I hope this is bottom) or even flat, Diaco will be measured accordingly. It's a little too soon to be comparing Diaco's situation with PP and suggesting they'll end the same.
PP is infinitely more knowledgeable than 99.9% on this board when it comes to coaching football at the D1 level (bolstered by the fact that someone was willing to throw $1.6M his way to capture that knowledge and experience). the fact that he wasn't successful here doesn't reflect on his knowledge of football. Nor does it reflect on why he was removed.

Reading into your logic, are you suggesting Uconn has seen enough to make a decision on Diaco?

I can see that you are having a problem with analyzing logic, so I'll help you out.

NOBODY on this board that I am aware of has called for Bob Diaco to lose his job. Literally nobody. Your previous comments would lead a reader to believe that a person is above any criticism whatsoever from the masses due to the fact that they are making a lot of money doing their job and that they know "99.9% more" than the board.

That logic is ridiculous. The idea that someone is infallible on every decision simply because they have a big contract and are more qualified at the overall job than the person criticizing the decision is ludicrous. By that same logic, nobody should vote for the president. By that same logic, nobody should file for medical malpractice...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
blah, blah, blah.

You like to say the same thing over and over again.

Its too early to tell if the plan will work - I think UConn will win conference championships soon - but pleasing you in press conference isn't part of the plan. Get over it.

Yep and like I said it's a mistake.

Since it's actually people like me who buy tickets and attend the games.

And you should be clearer: He says he has a plan. If he has one or not we'll see.

Reaction Score
No it's for reasons like 3/4's of the way through the season he is still talking about the problems he assumed. We lived it - we know how bad it was.

Based on the way he communicates through the media I get the impression he thinks we are pretty dim.
I liked your post, but come on. P and Edsall acted the same way. Its the life of the UConn fan, you see these guys "say UConn fans can't have expectations, because there is no history and tradition here". P's favorite was we live in a "microwave society" that expects "instant" results.

What these guys all forget, is we have these things called televisions. We see losing MAC teams like Western Michigan light up our vaunted defense and say hey, "why can't we have a passing game like that" and Deleone turns it into our fans expect them to be West Virginia. I think in general, coaches don't have much use for fans. I remember Paterno being quoted that he would tell donors, I want your money, but I don't want your two cents. It was funny line.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So he should be throwing Boyle under the bus instead? Or would you rather he decapitate himself and offer you his head on a platter?

I'd rather he stop blatently lying and contradicting himself. I'd rather he either get a handle on reality or if he cognizant of what is going on around him not make ridiculous statements like Boyle 'owned' the offense.

Part of being an FBS coach is managing the fanbase. I'm sorry if you don't like that or want to accept it - but that is the reality of the job.

If you think it's ok that he takes zero responsibility for the tire fire this season has become good for you. Me and some others see it differently.

Reaction Score
I can see that you are having a problem with analyzing logic, so I'll help you out.

NOBODY on this board that I am aware of has called for Bob Diaco to lose his job. Literally nobody. Your previous comments would lead a reader to believe that a person is above any criticism whatsoever from the masses due to the fact that they are making a lot of money doing their job and that they know "99.9% more" than the board.

That logic is ridiculous. The idea that someone is infallible on every decision simply because they have a big contract and are more qualified at the overall job than the person criticizing the decision is ludicrous. By that same logic, nobody should vote for the president. By that same logic, nobody should file for medical malpractice...
I love this logic. By that reasoning, no one should EVER disparage the president in office because 99.9999999%, of the US population couldn't do that job for a day.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Strategic Messaging has gotta be one of the most challenging aspects of the job for a new HC at a large public and one he is least prepared for. Particularly with regard to isolating a message to an audience. He'll want to get better as he goes forward. For now, except when he specifically mentions fans (e.g. enjoying their dinners or having a nice drive home), I assume that when he talks about the team, he is talking to the team - for specific effect. I agree that it's a mistake to try to talk over or past the public, but I'm not convinced it's fatal. Start winning and the fans will forget a lot.

Reaction Score
... not make ridiculous statements like Boyle 'owned' the offense.
I'm of the belief that statement had more to do with displaying leadership and confidence in the huddle and in the game than the actual execution of the offense. All year long the innuendo has been that he (TB) needed to grab hold of the team (own it), lead and be confident in his ability (like Cochran appeared to). This year is more about building his confidence in his ability as a QB. Here was broken last year. My $.25 worth.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm of the belief that statement had more to do with displaying leadership and confidence in the huddle and in the game than the actual execution of the offense. All year long the innuendo has been that he (TB) needed to grab hold of the team (own it), lead and be confident in his ability (like Cochran appeared to). This year is more about building his confidence in his ability as a QB. Here was broken last year. My $.25 worth.

I brought up the 'owned' statement to show how it was contradictory to a few days later when he wouldn't commit to Boyle starting against Memphis.

So he owned the offense against Cincinnati. The other quarterback has 2 games of eligibility left - but we can't commit to Boyle for the coming Saturday. Um ok.

The simple act of releasing a two deep has become annoying. It's worthless, they may as well send it out blank. Not sure it's a great idea to antagonize the media in the middle of a 2-9 year... as dopey as most of them are they still have some influence.

Reaction Score
The simple act of releasing a two deep has become annoying. It's worthless, they may as well send it out blank. Not sure it's a great idea to antagonize the media in the middle of a 2-9 year... as dopey as most of them are they still have some influence.

Cripes for the better part of the year it wasn't even updated weekly on the football home page...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'd rather he stop blatently lying and contradicting himself. I'd rather he either get a handle on reality or if he cognizant of what is going on around him not make ridiculous statements like Boyle 'owned' the offense.

Part of being an FBS coach is managing the fanbase. I'm sorry if you don't like that or want to accept it - but that is the reality of the job.

If you think it's ok that he takes zero responsibility for the tire fire this season has become good for you. Me and some others see it differently.

Diaco's job is to win football games, not appease diehard fans on a message board. Am I pissed that he hasn't done so? Yes, I am. Am I pissed that it's been his lack of skill in game-planning and in-game management that has directly led to losses? Yes, I am. I could give a rat's @$$ what he says in pressers as long as there is winning. No matter how much double talk or mixed metaphors there is, it's impossible to quantify the outcome that may have on in-game performance. You think that some defensive back is going to be pissed off at coach for being confusing at a press conference and therefore take a play off, resulting in a TD pass that costs the team the game?

Bottom line, there are far better ways of determining whether one still wants to be a fan/supporter/season ticket holder than what the head coach says to the media. Maybe the play of the actual team itself?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco's job is to win football games, not appease diehard fans on a message board. Am I pissed that he hasn't done so? Yes, I am. Am I pissed that it's been his lack of skill in game-planning and in-game management that has directly led to losses? Yes, I am. I could give a rat's @ what he says in pressers as long as there is winning. No matter how much double talk or mixed metaphors there is, it's impossible to quantify the outcome that may have on in-game performance. You think that some defensive back is going to be pissed off at coach for being confusing at a press conference and therefore take a play off, resulting in a TD pass that costs the team the game?

Bottom line, there are far better ways of determining whether one still wants to be a fan/supporter/season ticket holder than what the head coach says to the media. Maybe the play of the actual team itself?

Do you live in Connecticut?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Can you tell us what that plan might be?

I can see the part where he blew this year up, but I'm struggling to see past the immediate carnage to whatever future the explosion was designed to facilitate.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Reaction Score
Diaco seemed pleased with the progression of team in the post game

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not at the moment, but lived in Storrs for nearly 20 years.

There isn't a perfect correlation but there certainly seems to be a connection between living in Connecticut and your level of frustration.

Of course if he was winning nobody would give a damn what he is saying. But when I'm supposed to take on faith he has a 'plan' - then what he says matters because he has shown us literally zero.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Can you tell us what that plan might be?

I can see the part where he blew this year up, but I'm struggling to see past the immediate carnage to whatever future the explosion was designed to facilitate.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

He wanted to make sure the guys competing for time next season weren't playing in the first live games in 2015. He also wanted to run off anyone who wasn't buying in to his system.

But, you can still do that an win games. all you have to do is look at is use of Davis. The kid has a real shot to play on Sundays and he pulls him out at the critical times and generally refuses to showcase him.

Dropping to 60 scholarship players hurt his chances of winning this season but that's partly by design.

My fear is that his recruiting won't be much better than our norm and he won't be able to fill those slots. As it is, we'll still be way short of a full 85 next season.

He has a big hill to climb and he won't get another pass next season. The fanbase will completely disappear if the product isn't a whole lot better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how the season ticket holders are treated given that this year has been an exhibition year

What does this mean? What are you looking for?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He also wanted to run off anyone who wasn't buying in to his system.

Who can buy into this nonsense? The happy horsecrap he started with morphed into throwing everyone under the bus once he caught a little heat. He doesn't have the goods.

Reaction Score
In the history of UConn sports I can't imagine anyone inherited more of a mess than Jim Calhoun. His first year the teams 2 stars were ruled academically ineligible. He had as many walk-ons as scholarship players. I don't recall him ever saying/whining publicly "..but I inherited a mess..." He just coached the way he was going to coach and got the best results he could. That's all Diaco had to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom