Coaching staff hasn't a clue | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaching staff hasn't a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't imagine anyone inherited more of a mess than Jim Calhoun. I don't recall him ever saying/whining publicly "..but I inherited a mess..." He just coached the way he was going to coach and got the best results he could. That's all Diaco had to do.
So what. Calhoun could just as easily said he'd "inherited a mess" and used all the other Diaco-isms and then still won with the system he installed. As far as we know, these are simply two coaches with different personalities, communication skills and public personas. Whether you want to believe it or not (and the jury is certainly still out) Diaco may continue to speak in tongues and yet still pull off the rebuild he envisions. I'm willing to let it play out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In the history of UConn sports I can't imagine anyone inherited more of a mess than Jim Calhoun. His first year the teams 2 stars were ruled academically ineligible. He had as many walk-ons as scholarship players. I don't recall him ever saying/whining publicly "..but I inherited a mess..." He just coached the way he was going to coach and got the best results he could. That's all Diaco had to do.
I think he did whine, you just couldn't understand him through the 90 m.ph. speech pattern and thick accent. Oh and there wasn't the 24/7 news cycle reaching all points of the Earth back in the day.

Finally, how often does it have to be pointed out that 2 players can turn around a basketball team? Given the specialization and number of players on the field, it takes quite a bit more in football.

But go on comparing Macintoshes to California Navels. At the very least it clues the rest of us in...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who can buy into this nonsense? The happy horsecrap he started with morphed into throwing everyone under the bus once he caught a little heat. He doesn't have the goods.
I believe there is talent on this team. It is not widespread at the moment (60/85 scholarship players). It is not developed and too many important pieces are not in place. A team is build from the inside out on both sides of the ball. The defensive line is a little ahead of the offense, but anyone with eyes can tell you that. The issue with the defense as a whole is that the offense doesn't give them time to rest, but make no mistake that it begins with the big uglies up front. Period.

Let it be known that I've contracted Fishy to punch the next person who brings of the last three games of 2013 in the throat. UConn lost 80% of their line from 2013 and it is blatantly obvious is that the underclassmen were not properly developed over the last 3 years. Line play affects so much, it is impossible to determine where the rest of the offense is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the history of UConn sports I can't imagine anyone inherited more of a mess than Jim Calhoun. His first year the teams 2 stars were ruled academically ineligible. He had as many walk-ons as scholarship players. I don't recall him ever saying/whining publicly "..but I inherited a mess..." He just coached the way he was going to coach and got the best results he could. That's all Diaco had to do.

I REMEMBER ....

But in that year, we had little Horde. No internet. No whaler11.

How would we know? Who really listened to Calhoun post-Perno. We have a focus today & a season ticket fan base (far beyond Edsall's arrival in 1998).

I don't agree with this notion that he RAN off all that many players. Did you pay attention to Edsall when he arrived in College Park? How about an arc of experiences in other like Programs? I don't think Diaco has been particularly bullheaded in imposing Diaco-programming. It's just not true. NOW, PP? He was into the kumbaya - kept half of the HCRE staffing and brought in his boy. Probably didn't push many.

The only thing I can tell anyone: Our Offensive Line got better (from BYU to Memphis ... it is a marked improvement). We have some good young players (the WRs and Johnson ... which we know cause we have a view that has been provided by the OLine). We have a few good pieces on D. (not near the LBs that we had through the Edsall years & post). That's it. Some bright spots on the roster; so, Diaco needed to really go after the kids in this recruiting class. We know they hustled. They did. We shall see.

But ... what concerns me most in this CFB era? We need to score.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I remember leaving the HCC after losing to Hartford in '87 if memory serves mad as hell. Sorta like most of the football games this year.
But, no, jimmy did not backhandedly bash Perno or Cliff or Economou. LOL.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Actually, it would have been a better corollary if Calhoun took over a team that was recruited to play in the Big East, was getting his doors blown off in the Yankee Conference, and was blaming it on Perno the whole time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
By goods I was referring to HC chops, not the players.
Do you think it's reasonable to only have 60/85 scholarships available and play high level football with woefully underdeveloped talent/depth?

I don't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you think it's reasonable to only have 60/85 scholarships available and play high level football with woefully underdeveloped talent/depth?

I don't.

There is a pretty big gap between high level and the last three games...

And 11/12ths into the season some of the lack of development falls to the people who have been there the last 11 months.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Actually, it would have been a better corollary if Calhoun took over a team that was recruited to play in the Big East, was getting his doors blown off in the Yankee Conference, and was blaming it on Perno the whole time.
And still better if Calhoun took over a team a year removed from the Big East and already getting it's doors blown off.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I REMEMBER ....

But in that year, we had little Horde. No internet. No whaler11.

How would we know? Who really listened to Calhoun post-Perno. We have a focus today & a season ticket fan base (far beyond Edsall's arrival in 1998).

I don't agree with this notion that he RAN off all that many players. Did you pay attention to Edsall when he arrived in College Park? How about an arc of experiences in other like Programs? I don't think Diaco has been particularly bullheaded in imposing Diaco-programming. It's just not true. NOW, PP? He was into the kumbaya - kept half of the HCRE staffing and brought in his boy. Probably didn't push many.

The only thing I can tell anyone: Our Offensive Line got better (from BYU to Memphis ... it is a marked improvement). We have some good young players (the WRs and Johnson ... which we know cause we have a view that has been provided by the OLine). We have a few good pieces on D. (not near the LBs that we had through the Edsall years & post). That's it. Some bright spots on the roster; so, Diaco needed to really go after the kids in this recruiting class. We know they hustled. They did. We shall see.

But ... what concerns me most in this CFB era? We need to score.

This last sentence...is exactly where I am.... "But ... what concerns me most in this CFB era? We need to score."

I could care less what BD says in a press conference. I am still amazed people react to his comments.

But....the main thing I am concerned about is what the offensive identity of this team is. We can't tell from what they did this year...but BD is preaching power football and running the ball. I think this fan base desperately wants to see a team that scores points. I hate Urban Meyer, but he helped the SEC learn 10 years ago that a good offense can win games and be entertaining. Anyone catch the Iron Bowl last Saturday? If UConn's vision is to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust and hope to win 10-7, I don't think they will win the fans back.

I am tired of watching the directional Michigans figure out how to recruit a decent quarterback and run a competent offense while UConn just hopes to have an offense that doesn't turn the ball over (which we haven't been able to do lately). I am hopeful that BD bucks the defensive coach approach and actually cares about putting out a good offensive product.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There is a pretty big gap between high level and the last three games...

I know you are trying to not agree with me, but you did. Thanks for making my point.

And 11/12ths into the season some of the lack of development falls to the people who have been there the last 11 months.

It depends where the starting point was. Two things have to happen between the day before NLoI Day and when the player steps on to the field for the first time: 1) A quality player has to commit and 2) That player needs to be coached up into a viable player.

By many accounts, the former regime had decent recruiting classes, but it seemed to end there for them. The eye test showed that they couldn't get the next man up ready to cross over the sideline. Diaco's actions (installing Balis as S&C coach among them) supports that theory.

In game, Diaco has had his peculiar moments, but no more than what Former Head "Coach" Pasqualoni showed and he had a team coming off a conference title. Pasqualoni was a terrible clock manager and his offensive coordinator hadn't called plays in a better part of a decade. Why did they run a (sort of) Wildcat formation? Because they were on the Miami staff when the Dolphins (re)introduced it. Why didn't it work? Multiple reasons, not the least of which is that it was telegraphed and went unadjusted after the inevitable time out...BY THE OFFENSE!

I think age is huge in this equation. It sounds crazy, but the former regime may have had too much experience and their experience was too diverse. Typically that is a good thing, but it also means that the game passed them by. They were too rigid to adjust because some of their techniques had worked so well a decade ago. What it also means is that they had been away from college football too long. Freshman come in ready to play. Those who don't need their buttons pushed in the right combination so they get on the field as a RSFr. or So. Diaco is an unknown in this area, but at least there is a shot he will be involved development. It always scared me when Former "Coach" Pasqualoni said he was looking for the prototype. It always seemed to translate into him wanting the players to be ready with as little of his help as possible.

Reaction Score
No it's for reasons like 3/4's of the way through the season he is still talking about the problems he assumed. We lived it - we know how bad it was.

Based on the way he communicates through the media I get the impression he thinks we are pretty dim.
I spoke to Bob the other day. He actually said you were pretty dim. I asked if he meant Whaler10, but he specifically said Whaler11. So maybe you should feel disrespected.

a. 3/4's of the way through the season, fans are pissed because the team isn't bowling. meanwhile everyone has there magnifying glasses out looking for improvements on every single play. meanwhile, the only thing being identified with those magnifying glasses are mistakes, botched plays, questions about coaching decisions, TO's, QB play, etc. Not sure how that's disrespecting the fans. Players have a better gripe on this one.
b. what's the question he's answering? My guess is that he's answering a question from the media
c. I think you're view of him dealing with the media is a little skewed based on how the season is going. if he was 7-4, not sure this would be an issue.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yep and like I said it's a mistake.

Since it's actually people like me who buy tickets and attend the games.

OK. You seem to be pretty smart, but this is just dumb.

If he conducts press conferences to your liking, will that trump winning championships in the AAC?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Can you tell us what that plan might be?

I can see the part where he blew this year up, but I'm struggling to see past the immediate carnage to whatever future the explosion was designed to facilitate.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

He blew up this year to build the team he wants rather than squeeze a couple more wins out of the team he has.

The Oline has gotten better - gone from atrocious to mediocre. But young. I think we will be better next year and dominating in year 3/4.

Alot of younger players got a lot of snaps this year. It will pay off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OK. You seem to be pretty smart, but this is just dumb.

If he conducts press conferences to your liking, will that trump winning championships in the AAC?

Of course not - I never even implied that.

However, managing the fanbase is part of the job (ask Pelini), especially when you have nothing on the field to point to.

We are being asked to trust the plan on blind faith. We have no other window into the plan other than what he tells us - so I don't see why it's out of line to examine what he says.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know you are trying to not agree with me, but you did. Thanks for making my point.

It depends where the starting point was. Two things have to happen between the day before NLoI Day and when the player steps on to the field for the first time: 1) A quality player has to commit and 2) That player needs to be coached up into a viable player.

By many accounts, the former regime had decent recruiting classes, but it seemed to end there for them. The eye test showed that they couldn't get the next man up ready to cross over the sideline. Diaco's actions (installing Balis as S&C coach among them) supports that theory.

In game, Diaco has had his peculiar moments, but no more than what Former Head "Coach" Pasqualoni showed and he had a team coming off a conference title. Pasqualoni was a terrible clock manager and his offensive coordinator hadn't called plays in a better part of a decade. Why did they run a (sort of) Wildcat formation? Because they were on the Miami staff when the Dolphins (re)introduced it. Why didn't it work? Multiple reasons, not the least of which is that it was telegraphed and went unadjusted after the inevitable time out...BY THE OFFENSE!

I think age is huge in this equation. It sounds crazy, but the former regime may have had too much experience and their experience was too diverse. Typically that is a good thing, but it also means that the game passed them by. They were too rigid to adjust because some of their techniques had worked so well a decade ago. What it also means is that they had been away from college football too long. Freshman come in ready to play. Those who don't need their buttons pushed in the right combination so they get on the field as a RSFr. or So. Diaco is an unknown in this area, but at least there is a shot he will be involved development. It always scared me when Former "Coach" Pasqualoni said he was looking for the prototype. It always seemed to translate into him wanting the players to be ready with as little of his help as possible.

I certainly wasn't agreeing with you. You talked about expectations of playing at a high level. He's being criticized because they are getting beaten to death. It's not like they are losing close games to good teams and it's unrealistic to expect wins against Cinci and Memphis whike there is clear progress people are ignoring.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I certainly wasn't agreeing with you. You talked about expectations of playing at a high level. He's being criticized because they are getting beaten to death. It's not like they are losing close games to good teams and it's unrealistic to expect wins against Cinci and Memphis whike there is clear progress people are ignoring.

Well, Cinci was exactly what you say. No defending it, but UConn had a chance to tie late in the 4th vs. Army on the road and there was some good in the 1st half before the 3rd quarter melt down at Memphis.

You are ignoring the other part of my post. Diaco, for one reason or another, is working with less than 71% of his allotted scholarships and many of those who are available, while showing glimpses of their potential, show many more (in number) and much more glaring (in degree) signs of under-development.

I accept that there is not clear progress to us fans. I also believe that the team as a whole is buying in as opposed to tuning out (which was so apparent during Buffalo 2013).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As if having a chance to tie Army at a neutral site is something to crow about.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
We have no other window into the plan other than what he tells us - so I don't see why it's out of line to examine what he says.

Why don't you stop with tantrums and try that approach???

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I told whaler11 in a game thread that I totally understand his anger and that he has earned it by showing up throw thick and thin... or thin and thin as the case may be. It probably doesn't hurt to have a voice reminding every one that we should have expectations and that it is not unreasonable for us to do so. I'm not trying to talk him off a ledge or sway him in any way, he's more than entitled to his view. One thing to his credit -- he's obviously not one looking forward to being right about BD being wrong - those are the folks I don't quite get.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

Actually, after year 1 Calhoun thought he made a huge mistake and openly talked with his wife about quitting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually, after year 1 Calhoun thought he made a huge mistake and openly talked with his wife about quitting.

Aren't you making the point? He talked with his wife, not to anyone with a notepad or mic.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Aren't you making the point? He talked with his wife, not to anyone with a notepad or mic.

Show me the place where Diaco has said he made a mistake coming here or that he wants to quit?

His positive. He is upbeat. He is working his plan.

Whaler11 is the one with the soiled underwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom