Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
With 11 students entering the portal from Syracuse...just might Coach Q position be in question? Something seems to be quite seriously wrong with the program..OMO.
Only outside personnel have called for this , im not sure its that big of a deal up north .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'll never understand how McGuff is getting time at Ohio State when he's performing worse than Foster did.

Well, Lorcan, that would be going on the assumption that the firing of Jim Foster made any sense whatsoever (particularly taken into consideration that he then went to Chattanooga and had some more good years).

However, between conference calls, I decided to go the files (actually wikipedia) to compare the coaches who put in the most years coaching the Buckeyes just to compare how they actually have done. Had to have coached as long as McGuff or longer, so Tara, with four seasons, doesn't make this cut (more on her later, though)

- Foster was there 11 seasons and compiled an overall record of 279-82 (77%). His team never had a losing record and the only sub .500 mark is when he went 7-9 in the Big Ten in his last season (overall that year was 18-13). His teams made 3 Sweet 16s.

- Kevin McGuff just finished his 8th year and his teams have compiled an overall 168-84 record (67%). That includes two (barely) sub-.500 records (17-18 in his first year, 14-15 in another). His teams have made 2 Sweet 16s.

- Nancy Darsch succeeded Tara in the mid-80s and coached for 12 years, compiling a 234-125 record (65%). She led the team to 2 Sweet 16s, One Elite Eight and was the Runner-Up in 1992.

BTW, Tara had a winning percentage of 75% in her 4 years at the helm, so Foster has the highest winning % of any Buckeye coach. Period. However, McGuff and Darsch were/are both winning 2 of every three games.

Reaction Score
All 3 of KBA's assistants have left. Latest to Arizona St.

It’s odd timing, but if you’re an assistant, surely you want to capitalize on the success from this season to obtain higher payment. There’s also no telling what the toll that the outbreak at Michigan played on the team itself or the continued prevalence of Covid in MI is playing in this.

Reaction Score
It’s odd timing, but if you’re an assistant, surely you want to capitalize on the success from this season to obtain higher payment. There’s also no telling what the toll that the outbreak at Michigan played on the team itself or the continued prevalence of Covid in MI is playing in this.
Agree on the timing. It puts Coach Arico in a tough spot for recruiting during this upcoming AAU season. I also wonder what it does for recruits who have Michigan on their final list or have been talking to the ACs.

I think Wes Brown handled the initial phases of recruiting. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Reaction Score
All 3 of KBA's assistants have left. Latest to Arizona St.

1 got a head coaching job so you are really only wondering about 2. 1 was former New Mexico head coach and is from New Mexico so going back to Arizona State makes sense. The other one I couldn't tell you but it looks like he moves around a lot, he was at Utah before Michigan. Maybe he just got more money because SEC schools spend a lot.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'll never understand how McGuff is getting time at Ohio State when he's performing worse than Foster did.
Add to the gawd awful amount of money that tOSU is paying him ($1.3 mil) and both you and @CBus13 are right. Plus they were put on probation this year and add in his less than savory Mitchell coaching assistant job to get Kelsey and I am just not a huge McGuff fan. He does have 2 reg season and 1 Big 10 conference titles to his credit with Kelsey Mitchell but not much since-5th, 5th, 7th and just lost his best player to the Husky's.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Add to the gawd awful amount of money that tOSU is paying him ($1.3 mil) and both you and @CBus13 are right. Plus they were put on probation this year and add in his less than savory Mitchell coaching assistant job to get Kelsey and I am just not a huge McGuff fan. He does have 2 reg season and 1 Big 10 conference titles to his credit with Kelsey Mitchell but not much since-5th, 5th, 7th and just lost his best player to the Husky's.
There isn't too much information publicly available about any extension or contract edits. All the phrasing I've seen is he gets an additional $500,000 if he retains the job through 2020–2021, nothing about for how long his contract was for. My googling may not be hitting the right keywords, so someone may know more concrete info. But he hasn't replaced Simon Harris who left for the a HC yet March 19th. So I wonder what's going on there.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell’s dad was a good high school coach before he joined Ohio State. Of course, that’s not why he was hired, but he was no slouch

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell’s dad was a good high school coach before he joined Ohio State. Of course, that’s not why he was hired, but he was no slouch
"don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch".... :rolleyes:

You know my point was Mitchell, while a "good HS" coach was not qualified to be an assistant making $200K per year which was a huge jump from his HS salary. Also adding further stink to the situation was his other daughter getting a free education and the fact he immediately left and went back to the HS ranks after Kelsey finished her 4 years. So yes, less than savory behavior from McGuff.

Reaction Score
Amy Wright to OU as Associate HC and recruiting coordinator. Interesting - here is the more experienced coach that Baranczyk probably needed to balance out the two pretty new assistants. Good opportunity for Wright to get some experience under a different mentor.

But more interestingly to me, that's two Blair long-time assistants that have left College Station this spring, with Starkey going to Auburn.

Reaction Score
Amy Wright to OU as Associate HC and recruiting coordinator. Interesting - here is the more experienced coach that Baranczyk probably needed to balance out the two pretty new assistants. Good opportunity for Wright to get some experience under a different mentor.

But more interestingly to me, that's two Blair long-time assistants that have left College Station this spring, with Starkey going to Auburn.
Feels like he's told them something to have two leave.

Reaction Score
Pac-12 Assistant Coach movement (probably missing more than a few):

Intra-Pac-12 coaching switches:
  • Jackie Nared (Arizona -> Oregon)
  • Erin Grant (USC -> Arizona)
  • April Phillips (Cal -> Arizona)
  • Katie Faulkner (Oregon State -> Washington)

Assistant to head coach:
  • Mark Campbell (Oregon -> Sacramento State)
  • Aarika Hughes (USC -> LMU)
  • Brian Holsinger (Oregon State -> Montana)
  • Angie Nelp (Arizona State -> Tulsa)

Non-conference coaching switches:
  • Tomisha Augustin (Arizona-> Mississippi State)
  • Xavier Lopez (Oregon -> Sacramento State)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Pac-12 Assistant Coach movement (probably missing more than a few):

Intra-Pac-12 coaching switches:
  • Jackie Nared (Arizona -> Oregon)
  • Erin Grant (USC -> Arizona)
  • April Phillips (Cal -> Arizona)
  • Katie Faulkner (Oregon State -> Washington)

Assistant to head coach:
  • Mark Campbell (Oregon -> Sacramento State)
  • Aarika Hughes (USC -> LMU)
  • Brian Holsinger (Oregon State -> Montana)
  • Angie Nelp (Arizona State -> Tulsa)

Non-conference coaching switches:
  • Tomisha Augustin (Arizona-> Mississippi State)
  • Xavier Lopez (Oregon -> Sacramento State)
Is Jackie Nared related to Jamie Nared formerly of Tennessee (and from Oregon)?

Reaction Score
Not sure how reliable for Baylor . . .

Well it does check the religion box.
Though it's a bit like hiring someone who has done a good but not outstanding job at a D3 school. It worked for Scott Rueck at OregonSt (and he was outstanding) but the expectations were much lower there. Hasnt worked for Fahey at Illinois.

Reaction Score
Not sure how reliable for Baylor . . .

That would be interesting. No connection to Baylor or Texas and her resume is pretty much all D2 success.

I guess it's private religious college to private religious college.

As someone that would be very interested in Ben McCollum from Southwest Missouri State D2 "fame" if my school ever had a men's opening, this would pretty fun out of the box move. Though the difference in station between Baylor WBB and South Carolina MBB is pretty vast.

Reaction Score
I think that this will kill any recruiting mojo they have, if it's true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom