Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well it does check the religion box.
Though it's a bit like hiring someone who has done a good but not outstanding job at a D3 school. It worked for Scott Rueck at OregonSt (and he was outstanding) but the expectations were much lower there. Hasnt worked for Fahey at Illinois.
Well two others you can toss into the bag of mixed results are Brandon Schneider at Kansas (horrible job there) and Mike Carey at WVU who has done a credible job for the Mountaineers.

Reaction Score
Brandon Schneider came from SFA, didn't he? He did well there, but yes, very poor at Kansas. Without the AD/football coach fiasco, you'd have to think he'd have been in the crosshairs.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Brandon Schneider came from SFA, didn't he? He did well there, but yes, very poor at Kansas. Without the AD/football coach fiasco, you'd have to think he'd have been in the crosshairs.
Emporia State University in D2 is where he made his name annually in the NCAAT. He did have 5 years at SFA which he did not qualify for the NCAAT which makes the KU hiring and keeping of him even more irresponsible.

Reaction Score
Dartmouth has hired coach from Bowdoin. Good pick. Bowdoin has challenged NESCAC powers Amherst and Tufts in recent years.
It will set up a Princeton-Dartmouth rematch of Tufts-Bowdoin coaches.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well two others you can toss into the bag of mixed results are Brandon Schneider at Kansas (horrible job there) and Mike Carey at WVU who has done a credible job for the Mountaineers.
Carey was a men's coach, however. And he has done a very respectable job at WV, it sure isn't a "destination" for WBB, but his teams usually are in line for NCAA consideration. I think the Big 12 has hurt him, plus he has been snake-bit in the injury area.

Reaction Score
Shannon Perry LeBeauf has been eliminated from contention according to TheBallOut.com. They also claim that Sue Semrau is the new frontrunner.

Is there a link? I find that website hard to navigate and cannot find this stuff. They refer to some membership so ok, I tried to sign up ,and then no e-mail from them. Crappy website whose interface stinks. Maybe someone smarter could explain how to read this? Who are the finalists that they claim to know?

Reaction Score
It's in their membership only section. They say that Perry LeBeauf was offered the job and they were negotiating. Talks broke down and the offer was rescinded. When that happened, Semrau suddenly came into the picture and she was not previously. Others were Curt Miller, Aaron Johnston, Fred Williams (an outright joke, but he briefly coached at USC like three decades ago), and Dawn Plitzuweit (another joke). Johnston looks like he has what it takes to be the next big thing and I'm surprised his name has not been liked to any big name jobs.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Wait, Sue Samrau is the leading candidate for the USC job? She was making $700k at FSU so does that mean the Trojans AD is finally willing to pay up? Not sure I agree USC goes from low balled Trakh at $400k+ to paying more than $700k to get Sue unless she really wants to move to the West Coast to be nearer her mother, which is possible. It’s also putting Sue in the same conference and SAME city as her former assistant Cori Close.
FSU would be sitting perfectly fine by simply making Brooke Wyckoff the HC.
This is an interesting hire to watch.

Reaction Score
BTW, their membership is not a paying site, so I feel okay about posting what they wrote.

Here are their teases:

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1390740557622878218

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1390137761638887426

Yes, that is why I asked it is free site they just make it difficult to read which makes no sense if you want tn increase readership. But on that note I sent you a PM about some non related info if you could check it out.

But on the topic of USC job I do not see the appeal for Sue Semrau. If she wanted to be in the west coast wouldn't she have tried to get the Washington job? Surely they would have hired her if interested?

Reaction Score
If Semrau leaves, I would think Smesko would be the leading candidate.

I agree it seems strange for her to turn Washington down only to be interested in USC but a few things. First, USC already is premade. They have a loaded roster, even without Rogers and she could likely make them contenders in one season or two. Washington will be much weaker although I think Langley will do a fine job. At this stage in her career, I doubt she's interested in the work involved there. Second, she's close enough to Seattle and her parents to be comfortable, albeit not in the same city. And yes, she'd be competing with her former pupil Cori Close and I think that would be appealing to her. There is a new AD at USC and this is said to be an important hire for him, especially with so much unhappiness around the football program. I think he'd have to cough up at least 800k to land Sue and that might be a stretch. However, he has shown that he will pay huge salaries to almost anyone involved with football, so who knows.

But I think it will be Aaron Johnston although Curt Miller showed up in Twitter a few days ago wearing USC gear.

And HuskyMJ, you should be getting an email from them. They say they've been swamped with requests but will send you a link with information. It took them about three days to get back to me.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's in their membership only section. They say that Perry LeBeauf was offered the job and they were negotiating. Talks broke down and the offer was rescinded. When that happened, Semrau suddenly came into the picture and she was not previously. Others were Curt Miller, Aaron Johnston, Fred Williams (an outright joke, but he briefly coached at USC like three decades ago), and Dawn Plitzuweit (another joke). Johnston looks like he has what it takes to be the next big thing and I'm surprised his name has not been liked to any big name jobs.
Why is Dawn Plitzuweit a "joke" - I had to look her up but I didn't see anything that would make me think she would be a "joke"?

Fred Williams I know is very, very respected by his peers, but he is older and really hasn't exhibited a lot of success. He would be a very risky hire, for sure, although, as I say, I don't remember the context but remember being told that he was a wonderful coach. I can't say that that necessarily referenced head coach versus assistant.

Reaction Score
And HuskyMJ, you should be getting an email from them. They say they've been swamped with requests but will send you a link with information. It took them about three days to get back to me.

I did get an e-mail and respond back and heard nothing. I call BS on the swamped thing. They only have like 2000 followers on Twitter its not like they are some huge company with big following but maybe they want to make their site sound more exclusive. BTW check your inbox on the top right, I tried to ask you question on another update they had unrelated to coaching changes.

Reaction Score
I did get an e-mail and respond back and heard nothing. I call BS on the swamped thing. They only have like 2000 followers on Twitter its not like they are some huge company with big following but maybe they want to make their site sound more exclusive. BTW check your inbox on the top right, I tried to ask you question on another update they had unrelated to coaching changes.
I’ve helped run a few websites over the years and every time, it was just two or three of us running the site. And for me at least, it was always a side gig so I’d do stuff for the site when I had time...

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
I did get an e-mail and respond back and heard nothing.
I have received two emails from them and replied to both. Nothing from them. It's pretty frustrating.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If Semrau leaves, I would think Smesko would be the leading candidate.

I agree it seems strange for her to turn Washington down only to be interested in USC but a few things. First, USC already is premade. They have a loaded roster, even without Rogers and she could likely make them contenders in one season or two. Washington will be much weaker although I think Langley will do a fine job. At this stage in her career, I doubt she's interested in the work involved there. Second, she's close enough to Seattle and her parents to be comfortable, albeit not in the same city. And yes, she'd be competing with her former pupil Cori Close and I think that would be appealing to her. There is a new AD at USC and this is said to be an important hire for him, especially with so much unhappiness around the football program. I think he'd have to cough up at least 800k to land Sue and that might be a stretch. However, he has shown that he will pay huge salaries to almost anyone involved with football, so who knows.

But I think it will be Aaron Johnston although Curt Miller showed up in Twitter a few days ago wearing USC gear.

I completely disagree with that especially considering how good a job that Brooke just did with FSU this past year. It would be a slap in her face and to all the other assistants on that staff. It would send a bad message to the rest of the FSU coaching staffs as well. Plus, there is no guarantee that Karl would do as good a job as Brooke did. While a fine coach, he and the FSU administration are not a great fit at this time. Were Sue to move to USC, Brooke to take over and fail and Karl to stay at FGCU and not move to a different P5 school, then, at that, it would make sense. I wish we could get Smesko into the Big East to elevate both his and our conference's profile.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wesley Brooks might be leaving Mississippi State to be an Assistant Coach at Ohio State. His Twitter is all Ohio State now. Haven't seen an official announcement yet. He is no longer listed as an Assistant Coach at MSU.

Reaction Score
Wesley Brooks might be leaving Mississippi State to be an Assistant Coach at Ohio State. His Twitter is all Ohio State now. Haven't seen an official announcement yet. He is no longer listed as an Assistant Coach at MSU.
Wasn’t he literally just hired?

Reaction Score
It's not might. It's official.
Wasn’t he literally just hired?
Yup! Don't know if this beats Bill Belichek's change of heart from the Jets to the Pats in the late 90s.

Reaction Score
Yup! Don't know if this beats Bill Belichek's change of heart from the Jets to the Pats in the late 90s
LSU hired Alabama’s softball coach Patrick Murphy years ago. He accepted the job, came in for press conference, then backed out two days later. Lol

patrick-murphyjpg-3a4e44222083ef42.jpg

Reaction Score
Per the Baylor WBB roster page, it looks like Nicki Collen's first hire is Tari Cummings, former AC at Arkansas when Collen was on staff. Very nice lady, most recently the HC at DII University of Arkansas-Fort Smith.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom