2020 Recruiting: - Cliff Omoruyi Top 5 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cliff Omoruyi Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
if the engineering school is one of the main concerns for Cliff, we fall right in the middle of the five schools’ rankings. AZ State -44th. Rutgers- 52nd. UConn- 67th. Kentucky- 95th. Auburn- 115th

Reaction Score
if the engineering school is one of the main concerns for Cliff, we fall right in the middle of the five schools’ rankings. AZ State -44th. Rutgers- 52nd. UConn- 67th. Kentucky- 95th. Auburn- 115th

i don't see how it can legitimately be a deciding factor. maybe engineering is different, but typically students dont declare a major and start taking core classes until their junior year. in the 1 or 2 years he's on campus he'll be taking gen eds and prereqs, regardless of which school he attends. no? if that's the case then i dont care what anyone says, stats 101 is the same no matter where you go.

Reaction Score
If I understand your question, all the portal is is an administrative convenience for someone who wants to transfer to be able to get the news out so that other schools know it in an efficient manner, rather than having to rely on media or contact them directly. Said another way, the portal itself is (or should be) totally uncontroversial. If there is a controversy to be had, it's in the rules.

If that is not your question feel free to ask again. I am supportive of the ability of grad transfers to not have to sit a year out -- I think that was a fair change to empower student athletes who have accomplished what the primary purpose of college is.
First let me say that I don’t know much about the transfer rules, but wouldn’t it seem fair or equitable that if a player can now unilaterally decide to leave a program, then a program has the same option?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Speaking of Rutgers - I'm still perplexed that Rutgers moved to the B10 . When selected, their BBall program was dreck and football was average at best. I mean it doesn't make sense geographically, but at least UMD had better prospects for the future. It's good for RU that Pikiell has gotten the team to play well recently, though
I don't think Cliff will wind up at Rutgers at the end.

Reaction Score
First let me say that I don’t know much about the transfer rules, but wouldn’t it seem fair or equitable that if a player can now unilaterally decide to leave a program, then a program has the same option?

No. First, a player can't leave a program without sitting out a year until he graduates. Second, if a baseball player signs a 5 year contract, he can still retire and not get paid. Society places for good reason more of a burden on an employer from an arrangement than an employee. Third, the school has the freedom not to renew a scholarship for any reason or no reason at all. We're discussing whether it's right to do so.

Reaction Score
i don't see how it can legitimately be a deciding factor. maybe engineering is different, but typically students dont declare a major and start taking core classes until their junior year. in the 1 or 2 years he's on campus he'll be taking gen eds and prereqs, regardless of which school he attends. no? if that's the case then i dont care what anyone says, stats 101 is the same no matter where you go.

Engineering programs typically get you rolling in engineering courses from day 1. It’s not a liberal arts education.

Reaction Score

I mean, we're not talking MIT here for any of these schools he's considering.

Let's not kid ourselves about how much academics really matters.

Reaction Score
I mean, we're not talking MIT here for any of these schools he's considering.

Let's not kid ourselves about how much academics really matters.

If Cliff's basketball career achieves anything near what he probably hopes it will, he's not becoming an engineer.

Reaction Score
Sure would be nice coincidence to have Emeka "bump into" Cliff sometime soon.:rolleyes:
And don't waste time lecturing me about how that isn't allowed. I was just ruminating about how nice it would be for someone of the same heritage to "happen" to have a conversation with a scholar who turned out to be a great player too.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, if I were an 18 year old athlete that would make a very big impression. That being said, as a Jersey kid myself there is no chance in hell I would ever go to Rutgers, even if they had the whole student body applauding me for 10 minutes straight.
That's because you decided to go to UCONN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know why people think its likely that guys so close to graduation are going to transfer out, sit out a year, and then play one season at a school they have no connection with. Our current juniors would have left a long time ago if they were going to leave. These guys are prepared to make the best of their time at uconn whether they are starting or coming off the bench and then move on with their lives. Plus, they love it here.

Remember, Richie Springs wasn't supposed to redshirt. He was brought in to play and he's pretty good. Whaley still decided to stay. It isn't all about playing time in every situation.

Dedrick Lawson did it when he went from Memphis to Kansas. His brother is now on his 3rd school. In general I agree with you. However let me posit two scenarios where it might work.

1. The player is injured and will likely miss a portion of what would be their senior season. Transferring let’s them play the whole season.
2. The player is not likely to have a pro career and either isn’t set to graduate the original school in four years or has grad school aspirations. Transferring gets them a 5th year of college or grad school at no charge.

The third is they hate the school or coach, but these guys all came back already so I don’t see that one applying in our case.

Reaction Score
If Hurley can get him on campus for an OV, I believe with no info that UConn has a chance. UConn was on the outside looking in for Andre Jackson until he came for an OV. Ollie courted Hami for how many years in our backyard even saying he was a UConn lean early on only for him to bolt to Kentucky.

There was even a game Hami was at and students had signs for him and cheered his name, didn't matter he went to UK. I trust Hurley to get the job done with or without Cliff regardless but anything that happens of significance in recruitment probably doesn't take place in public.

Reaction Score
If Hurley can get him on campus for an OV, I believe with no info that UConn has a chance. UConn was on the outside looking in for Andre Jackson until he came for an OV. Ollie courted Hami for how many years in our backyard even saying he was a UConn lean early on only for him to bolt to Kentucky.

There was even a game Hami was at and students had signs for him and cheered his name, didn't matter he went to UK. I trust Hurley to get the job done with or without Cliff regardless but anything that happens of significance in recruitment probably doesn't take place in public.

Jackson was a uconn lock for 9 months. Coaches in his AAU program were insistent on that with me.

Not sure Hurley has reeled in the big recruit that he had to battle for yet. Bouk we had the in by staying on him for so long when he was injured, and Akok was obviously local.

Would say a lot about this staff if they cam get this one done.

Reaction Score

Can confirm I shouted Hamidou’s name from the student section during the National anthem on first night lol

Reaction Score
Jackson was a uconn lock for 9 months. Coaches in his AAU program were insistent on that with me.
Maybe that was the case but the rest of us read the articles after he committed and got a different story. Maybe he was lying? Who knows?

“Going into the visit, I wasn’t that confident that I was going to be going to UConn,” Jackson said Wednesday at his high school, Albany Academy in Albany, N.Y. “And then after the visit, it was clear. So I was like, ‘If it goes from zero to 100, then it’s definitely the right choice, I’m not going to overthink it.’”

“UConn was consistent in their interest,” Jackson said. “I didn’t think it was meant for me, I didn’t think I was a fit for their system, but going in, watching practices, watching the way they play and seeing how much coach [Dan] Hurley, coach [Tom] Moore and coach Kimani [Young] really wanted me, as well as the guys wanted me to be there, I was ready to make it.”

Reaction Score
and Akok was obviously local.

maybe it wasn’t you, but I got hammered for saying landing local talent wasn’t as impressive. Not trying to start something either way.

Reaction Score
First we lose kofi to Illinois of all places then possibly cliff to Rutgers? Are my eyes and ears deceiving me? Rutgers? It’s Rutgers and Illinois we re taking about here- What the hell is going on the past 5 years ? I must be in a bad nightmare

Reaction Score
I didn't even apply to Rutgers as a safety
Yeah. I know. How prestigious of you, but big deal. This is about a kid who possibly may end up either at Rutgers or elsewhere, like UCONN.

This isn't about safety or whatever with a 2 cm ruler. This is a kid who is talented and wants to go somewhere, and play and go to school and perhaps have a normal life doing that. Rutgers poses a real possibility for him and is most likely in the driver's seat, because of its proximity, and is easy for his family to come watch him play. UCONN is 2 hours away and is another good possibilty. Both a re e good choices for him, and that's what this is, a choice that is beneficial for HIM.

He isn't thinking about safety school, he's thinking about his family. Who can get to him and how close is he in case something were to arise.

He likes Rutgers a lot, perhaps a lot more than UCONN, but at the end of the day, that won't be enough in wanting his services. It certainly isn't about how much money your former players have brought to your program. If anyone grabs Cliff O, they'll be lucky to have him. But for arguments sake, please stop with the safety crap, even if you came out of NJ. Its old, stale , dry, and it reeks of corniness. Get a clue man

Reaction Score
A few people have indicated we’re not the frontrunner, but that we’re very much not out of it. Does anybody in the know think there is a clear leader? I assume he’d go to Kentucky if they’ll take him.

Reaction Score
maybe it wasn’t you, but I got hammered for saying landing local talent wasn’t as impressive. Not trying to start something either way.

It's still impressive--just a different kind of recruiting. Way easier to recruit a kid you can watch 3x a week

Reaction Score
It's a 10-25 min bus ride for students to get between the 4 Rutgers campuses. Who needs that every day?

Reaction Score

Let's not compare the Hami loss to this. If that same offer Hami got from Calimari lands on the Cliff "table" and he cares for the bag of dough then Hurley will lose too. I am sure right now that bag hasn't been offered from Cal.

Reaction Score
First we lose kofi to Illinois of all places then possibly cliff to Rutgers? Are my eyes and ears deceiving me? Rutgers? It’s Rutgers and Illinois we re taking about here- What the hell is going on the past 5 years ? I must be in a bad nightmare
Definitely Rutgers, and probably Illinois, are better than us this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34