2020 Recruiting: - Cliff Omoruyi Top 5 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cliff Omoruyi Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This Cliff stuff sounds all too much like Drummond and UConn. Attend a bunch of games and eventually everyone just expects it to happen. Different situations and obviously different programs. Hopefully Cliff will want to stay close to home but come to realize UConn is the better program (or is it?).

Reaction Score
Good programs mutually part ways with guys all the time. Most of the time it is beneficial to the kid as well.
We didn't bring in Hurley to be a nice guy, we hired him to be a tough coach which involves making harsh decisions.

I see tons of posts on here that say "Hurley just needs more talent" or "just be patient until Hurley gets his own guys", and a lot are from the same people that are against having our untalented players transfer. It's very confusing.
It’s a delicate balancing act that Hurley will have to master. On one hand, we absolutely need more talent. That’s not debatable. On the other hand, he’s trying the build a “culture” and has to be somewhat diplomatic about showing kids the door.

I don’t know that he has the cache here yet to operate like some of the top programs do with regard to transfers.

I’m all aboard doing what we need to in order to land Cliff though.

Reaction Score
Good programs mutually part ways with guys all the time. Most of the time it is beneficial to the kid as well.
We didn't bring in Hurley to be a nice guy, we hired him to be a tough coach which involves making harsh decisions.

I see tons of posts on here that say "Hurley just needs more talent" or "just be patient until Hurley gets his own guys", and a lot are from the same people that are against having our untalented players transfer. It's very confusing.

It's fine to tell a rising senior you don't see him being in the rotation next year and that you're willing to help him find a good school for him to transfer to. That happens all the time. Saying "bye Felicia" to a kid who has kept his nose clean for 3 years and is one year from graduating because you can get a better player in is not something that good coaches do or good schools allow. I don't have a problem doing that to a Garrison or Smith after one year, but not to a kid within a year of graduating. That's too high a price for accelerating winning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not that I think he should have but doing it when he took the job makes a lot sense than 2 years later when the kid is about to enter his senior year. That is just wrong.

Reaction Score
It’s a delicate balancing act that Hurley will have to master. On one hand, we absolutely need more talent. That’s not debatable. On the other hand, he’s trying the build a “culture” and has to be somewhat diplomatic about showing kids the door.

I don’t know that he has the cache here yet to operate like some of the top programs do with regard to transfers.

I’m all aboard doing what we need to in order to land Cliff though.
I'm not suggesting kicking him to the sidewalk and telling him to get lost. But sitting down and having that tough convo and explaining that it is probably in everyone's best interest to move on, and helping the kid land on his feet somewhere seems like the best course of action.

At some point "building the culture" is going to have to involve winning games. What culture does it create using a scholarship on a kid who clearly isn't talented enough to play here when our team continues to lose? Our young players and future recruits want to win.

Hurley can only have so many sub par seasons before it creates a losing mindset for our bright young players as well as impacts the type of talent he can bring in.

Reaction Score
Not that I think he should have but doing it when he took the job makes a lot sense than 2 years later when the kid is about to enter his senior year. That is just wrong.
You can say you think he should have when he took the job. Think hindsight is 20/20 on that one. But can't fault Hurley there. All of us and Hurley thought he had more to work with than he does.

C

Chief00

Didn't do it all the time with players entering their senior year - that's just wrong. Other than walkons and players leaving for the NBA, a total of 4 players left going into their senior year
Come on - that’s only because he had that conversation before year 2 or 3. I am amazed there were 4 guys, you say were still around before year 4 to have that conversation with. LOL. Who were they?

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting kicking him to the sidewalk and telling him to get lost. But sitting down and having that tough convo and explaining that it is probably in everyone's best interest to move on, and helping the kid land on his feet somewhere seems like the best course of action.

At some point "building the culture" is going to have to involve winning games. What culture does it create using a scholarship on a kid who clearly isn't talented enough to play here when our team continues to lose? Our young players and future recruits want to win.

Hurley can only have so many sub par seasons before it creates a losing mindset for our bright young players as well as impacts the type of talent he can bring in.
If building culture means running a kid out going into his senior season then that's not the culture we should be striving for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Certainly you do that when you've been the coach for a long time. But nobody Hurley could bring in that first year would be in any different situation today. When you take over a program there is a brief period when this can happen.

The reality is we've got 4 upperclassmen coming back (assuming AG chooses not to). Each situation is different.
  • Carlton: good player, who has a lot to offer but who's skillset and physical abilities are a bad fit for what Hurley wants to do on both ends.
  • Whaley: Plays hard. Not very good. Perfectly ok at the back of the bench. Shouldn't expect to play much at this level.
  • Polley: Good shooter, plays ok defense, lacks ball handling skills as a wing, and doesn't rebound well. Solid bench player, as a 3 and D guy. With Akok and Springs, any minutes need to be at SF. Injury adds complexity. If he will miss a chunk of next year anyway, transfer and sit one isn't a bad option for him.
  • Wilson: Fantastic athlete. Provides inconsistent play, not strong on the mental aspects. Shooting and handle need work as a wing. Good rebounder and shot blocker, brings energy. Definitely a keeper if DH thinks he can improve on the mental side of the game.
Do you run any of those guys off? No. But be honest with them. They only guy on that list likely to earn 20+ minutes next year is Wilson, and that's IF he busts his butt to earn it. Whaley will be a DNP almost every game. Josh will play, but in a very reduced role. That's tough on a kid who started most of his career. Polley is a 10-15 minute a game guy if he is healthy.

Reaction Score
If building culture means running a kid out going into his senior season then that's not the culture we should be striving for.
I'd like a winning culture.

You wouldn't be running him out. Transferring would likely be mutually beneficial. He can start at a lower D1 school instead of riding pine. If he really really wants to be here and is fine with not playing then maybe keep him idk.

I just don't know how you could pass up the opportunity to bring in a high impact transfer/freshman because an untalented senior is using up that scholarship. We brought in Hurley to help our program win again, not to keep everyone happy.

Reaction Score
I'd like a winning culture.

You wouldn't be running him out. Transferring would likely be mutually beneficial. He can start at a lower D1 school instead of riding pine. If he really really wants to be here and is fine with not playing then maybe keep him idk.

I just don't know how you could pass up the opportunity to bring in a high impact transfer/freshman because an untalented senior is using up that scholarship. We brought in Hurley to help our program win again, not to keep everyone happy.
Just wrong

Reaction Score
It's fine to tell a rising senior you don't see him being in the rotation next year and that you're willing to help him find a good school for him to transfer to. That happens all the time. Saying "bye Felicia" to a kid who has kept his nose clean for 3 years and is one year from graduating because you can get a better player in is not something that good coaches do or good schools allow. I don't have a problem doing that to a Garrison or Smith after one year, but not to a kid within a year of graduating. That's too high a price for accelerating winning.
What is your opinion of the transfer portal?

Reaction Score
If I understand your question, all the portal is is an administrative convenience for someone who wants to transfer to be able to get the news out so that other schools know it in an efficient manner, rather than having to rely on media or contact them directly. Said another way, the portal itself is (or should be) totally uncontroversial. If there is a controversy to be had, it's in the rules.

If that is not your question feel free to ask again. I am supportive of the ability of grad transfers to not have to sit a year out -- I think that was a fair change to empower student athletes who have accomplished what the primary purpose of college is.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You should know from this past offseason that Hurley is not going to do what you want him to do in that regard. My advice is to make your peace and get over it.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
If a student is allowed to transfer from a Div 1 school where he won't play to Div 11 or 111 school where he can start right away, still earn his degree on schedule and get a full scholarship, there is nothing wrong with a player and a coach exploring that possibility by entering the portal.
Jesus going from Division 1 to Division 111 would be a significant drop

Reaction Score
Can’t check any threads anymore without seeing Kathy volunteering herself to be everyone else’s moral compass.
While I agree with you, I think the proper etiquette is to just toss her on ignore. It works like a charm!

Reaction Score
would losing cliff to rutgers hurt more than losing kofi to illinois? kofi seemed to be a lock, which cliff isnt, but we also had very high expectations for josh coming into this season, which softened the blow.
Not even close. Kofi going to Illinois was worst I’ve ever seen. Now joshs awful regression and then cliff going to Rutgers will be all around worst-case scenario.

Reaction Score
Running a kid out and being honest with him about playing time aren't the same thing.

We shouldn't be striving for a culture where minutes aren't earned by a combination of skill and work ethic in practice; instead given to older players because they've been around.

Reaction Score
I don't know why people think its likely that guys so close to graduation are going to transfer out, sit out a year, and then play one season at a school they have no connection with. Our current juniors would have left a long time ago if they were going to leave. These guys are prepared to make the best of their time at uconn whether they are starting or coming off the bench and then move on with their lives. Plus, they love it here.

Remember, Richie Springs wasn't supposed to redshirt. He was brought in to play and he's pretty good. Whaley still decided to stay. It isn't all about playing time in every situation.

Reaction Score
Yes this is what I’ve been trying to explain my past few posts. People need to stop saying that Carlton and Ferguson won’t be seen as competition to Omoruyi because they will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom