2020 Recruiting: - Cliff Omoruyi Top 5 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cliff Omoruyi Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You’re right it is time to give up. This will be my last post on the matter. Just remember recruits see ANY competition as competition. Cliff will not come here, sit back, take it easy in practice and get meaningful minutes. He will have to beat out 2 others C’s for minutes even if he is a more talented player than them. And some players don’t like to have to earn their minutes. Rant over carry on go Huskies!!!!
Almost every high school kid (sans a few who would go straight out of high school if they could) who has NBA aspirations knows he has to go to college and work his ass off in practice and games to get better than other guys working their asses off - otherwise they aren't going to be lottery picks. If you think any of them are thinking I'll coast and play as many minutes as I want, you're off your rocker. This is such a flawed argument I felt compelled to post in a recruiting thread even though recruiting threads are by nature off the wall.

Reaction Score
Repeating that is not going to make it true. You cannot tell me Cliff is already the best center of the group when one of them will be a senior and one hasn’t stepped foot on a college court yet. You’re talking as if Cliff has already earned the most minutes which is ridiculous.

SHOULD have no concern. But you clearly don’t get how current recruits think nowadays. Kids want immediate playing time guaranteed, not having to beat out two others for time. Cliff would not be guaranteed anything here even if he is by far the best long term player. Rutgers is probably guaranteeing a starting spot and 30 minutes a game...recruits like to hear that stuff.

You are reading between the lines but there's not actually anything there dude. Of course kids are concerned about PT. Hurley should, and probably is, telling Cliff you will play as many minutes as you can, because the rest of our centers are playing like mid-major scrubs right now.

Reaction Score
Almost every high school kid (sans a few who would go straight out of high school if they could) who has NBA aspirations knows he has to go to college and work his ass off in practice and games to get better than other guys working their asses off - otherwise they aren't going to be lottery picks. If you think any of them are thinking I'll coast and play as many minutes as I want, you're off your rocker. This is such a flawed argument I felt compelled to post in a recruiting thread even though recruiting threads are by nature off the wall.
I’ll second this post. Cliff or any other high profile player isn’t competing against his teammates but more so against the best at his position in the country. Good players will gravitate to coaches that best ensure they’re playing at their best.

Reaction Score

>>Wednesday was the third time Omoruyi visited the RAC this season. He also sat behind the Rutgers bench during the Scarlet Knights’ demolishing of in-state rival Seton Hall earlier this season, as well as a convincing win over UMass in November.

He was greeted by Rutgers head football coach Greg Schiano, who walked over and shook his hand after arriving to the RAC at halftime.

“He shook my hand and said to stay home because the fan loves me,” Omoruyi said of Schiano’s message to him.<<

Reaction Score
would losing cliff to rutgers hurt more than losing kofi to illinois? kofi seemed to be a lock, which cliff isnt, but we also had very high expectations for josh coming into this season, which softened the blow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't do it all the time with players entering their senior year - that's just wrong. Other than walkons and players leaving for the NBA, a total of 4 players left going into their senior year
I get you're responding to a post that mentioned Calhoun, but comparing then to now is completely different in terms of grad transfers

Reaction Score
I get you're responding to a post that mentioned Calhoun, but comparing then to now is completely different in terms of grad transfers
So true, the landscape has completely changed. And not for the better imo

Reaction Score
would losing cliff to rutgers hurt more than losing kofi to illinois? kofi seemed to be a lock, which cliff isnt, but we also had very high expectations for josh coming into this season which softened the blow.

Weirdly enough, I think it would hurt less. Rutgers is better than Illinois (that was odd to type), and he’d be staying close to home. Kofi to Illinois made less sense than this would make.

That being said, it hurts to know that a recruit could choose Rutgers over us for basketball reasons. The state of our program - even though I believe we’ll be back - bothers me more than losing any individual recruiting battle.

Reaction Score
Home is where the heart is. If we were terrible, Cliff O would be heading to Storrs. Right now, we are pretty decent, and it's making this young man think, I can stay home and play here in front of friends and family and play, and continue the upward trajectory of the Rutgers program, and still be a student. Nothing wrong with that. He was enjoying himself and loving bgg the atmosphere. He's been to a ton of games, and from my knowledge he will be at many more.

Question is when was the last time he was at a UCONN game? I know it's been a while. I'm pretty sure he will be visiting soon.

Reaction Score
Home is where the heart is. If we were terrible, Cliff O would be heading to Storrs. Right now, we are pretty decent, and it's making this young man think, I can stay home and play here in front of friends and family and play, and continue the upward trajectory of the Rutgers program, and still be a student. Nothing wrong with that. He was enjoying himself and loving bgg the atmosphere. He's been to a ton of games, and from my knowledge he will be at many more.

Question is when was the last time he was at a UCONN game? I know it's been a while. I'm pretty sure he will be visiting soon.

He was at MSG for Indiana, right?

Reaction Score

You need to get your eyeballs checked if you think this team is pretty decent

Reaction Score
So you are really proposing we should boot him out of the program as he is entering his senior year? That's beyond harsh
Good programs mutually part ways with guys all the time. Most of the time it is beneficial to the kid as well.
We didn't bring in Hurley to be a nice guy, we hired him to be a tough coach which involves making harsh decisions.

I see tons of posts on here that say "Hurley just needs more talent" or "just be patient until Hurley gets his own guys", and a lot are from the same people that are against having our untalented players transfer. It's very confusing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman