Cincy approved $85m stadium expansion | The Boneyard

Cincy approved $85m stadium expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062513aab.html

Where is UCONN's plan to expand the RENT? Or are we waiting for Cincy to get taken to P5 first before getting a plan in place? Now is not the time to sit still regardless the reason.

CFTalk 12:01pm via TweetDeck
$80-85 million renovation of Nippert Stadium formally approved by Cincinnati board. Capacity up from 35k to 40k when completed in Aug. '15.

A lot of money for additional 5k seats. I get that they have Bengals stadium down the road but...

From another read:

"Nippert Stadium is the third-oldest FBS stadium still in use, behind Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium and Mississippi State's Davis Wade Stadium, with Nippert breaking ground in 1915. The site has been used since 1901, making it the second-oldest playing site in all of college football, behind Penn's Franklin Field."

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Nippert is tiny. They have to do something. It's a completely different situation... they're spending 85mill to get UP TO what we have. Granted they have a pro stadium in town... but still.

Reaction Score
cincy just spent 85 million so that when uconn vs cincy gets compared on a pro/con sheet the stadium size is a cross out and then they have the bonus pro stadium down the street for a once a year big game.

uconn wont spend $100 on a newspaper add.

telling

I agree. Cincy will increase stadium to UConn's size taking stadium size off the table during next round of conference expansion. UConn needs to respond.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I agree. Cincy will increase stadium to UConn's size taking stadium size off the table during next round of conference expansion. UConn needs to respond.

we won't. were going to monitor the situation

when it comes to this topic now lets look

cincy:
-40k stadium on campus
-60k+ pro stadium within a couple miles

uconn:
-40k stadium a half hour from campus
-yanks/mets in nyc 2 hours away, fenway is a hour and a half away, giants/jets 2 and a half hours away, razor a hour and a half away

what do u want to compare next?
coach?
salaries?
uniforms?
bcs games?
last 5 years? last 10?
recruiting grounds?

fun times being a uconn fan.....

when all heck broke lose and we got left out with usf and cincy, cincy hired a b12 coach and they expanded. usf fired a coach they just gave a raise to and still got bcs games on the future schedule.

WHAT HAS UCONN DONE??????

might as well start talking temple and memphis because both of them rock 60k seats just waiting for a real conference to fill them.

Reaction Score
You are right. Let's add a seat next to the scoreboard to get us to 40,001. Beat that Cincy.

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive to be able to fund that without using university funds - probably will take a while to pay it off though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
$85,000,000 for 5,000 seats...Cincy is putting lipstick on a pig.

Won't help 'em.

Reaction Score
giant-monitor-lizard-675593-.jpg

Reaction Score
Amazing that it cost us what, $91 Mill for 40K seats, and they are paying $85 Mill for upgrades plus 5K seats?

Since we are supposed to be able to get to 50-55K pretty easily anyone know what they estimate those costs to be?

Reaction Score
HFD has been over the top lately with his constant criticism, but it's hard to find fault in what he posted above.

Our lack of a real/ perceived commitment is pretty awful right now.

Adding seats to the Rent will not get us a big boy invite just because.

Reaction Score
This isn't about number of seats or whatever. This is about the perception what have you done lately to improve football since that's the most important sport for expansion. UCONN hasn't done squat to the RENT since 2003 when it opened. It won't hurt us to announce a plan in place for 55K expansion or something even if we don't have the money. It will send a message that we are serious about big time football in CT and we will expand when the time is right. There is nothing worse than sitting still on your a** while your competitors are all doing something to improve their status.

Reaction Score
This isn't about number of seats or whatever. This is about the perception what have you done lately to improve football since that's the most important sport for expansion. UCONN hasn't done squat to the RENT since 2003 when it opened. It won't hurt us to announce a plan in place for 55K expansion or something even if we don't have the money. It will send a message that we are serious about big time football in CT and we will expand when the time is right. There is nothing worse than sitting still on your a* while your competitors are all doing something to improve their status.

While I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure that the B1G and Big 12 both have been told we would expand in a heartbeat if an invite was thrown our way. The ACC not so much.

Reaction Score
Amazing that it cost us what, $91 Mill for 40K seats, and they are paying $85 Mill for upgrades plus 5K seats?

Since we are supposed to be able to get to 50-55K pretty easily anyone know what they estimate those costs to be?

Not sure about the Rent but if you look at some of the other stadiums that have been getting upgrades the past few years $85M for 5k doesn't seem that far off from the standard since they usually also include luxury seats and other upgrades.

UNC paid $70M for 3k seats just a few years ago while Texas A&M's in the middle of a $450M project for 20k seats

On the flip side, ECU only paid $20M for 7k seats but I think that was only possible because they replaced one of the scoreboards with additional seats so they didn't need to build a whole new structure to support that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
While I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure that the B1G and Big 12 both have been told we would expand in a heartbeat if an invite was thrown our way. The ACC not so much.

What?You don't think announcing an expansion of the stadium won't instantly result in an invitation to something somewhere?

Son, you need to spend more time reading this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Odd that the cincy admin decided to go all-in on the campus stadium. Other than game day atmosphere, convenience for the students, and a general lifting of school community, I wonder why they chose that route, even in spite of the increased price tag? Hmmmm...Must have been talking to the folks at unlv and colorado state, instead of certain other schools.

bilde

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's having an impact already!

Cincy sold all the seats in their drawing.

There are even people lined up outside the stadium hoping to get in!

Cincinnati just dropped the atomic bomb on us.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

the rent was built with expansion in mind which(we all know) is somewhat amazing when you remember all the other decisions we have made facilities wise over the years. anyway i have heard a number of 18 million to go from 40k-50k with just a upper deck 3rd tier across from the press box.

50k however is not enough. we need to be above the average. that # is something like 55k and change. we need to be that. give no one ever the excuse to not play here fans tickets wise. we need to be the biggest college stadium in new england. and brag about it.

-do the 3rd deck for 10k
-add a corner/section to that on each end for 12k
-fill in the scoreboard 2nd deck area 14.5k
-put the band on the field, charge them walk around tix and sell those old band seats. 15k+
-build a new scoreboard on top of the new seats. look at what texas tech is doing for a example.
-do the ribbon boards. thats ok. make the lower bowl besides the student section completely blue seats
-paint the middle and upper deck bleachers blue and give them backs like u see at other stadiums.

rent is 55k+
great scoreboard and features
blue seats, many comfortable seats u can buy. creates a better experience
cost? around 30-40mil all together i would guess

cincy just spent 85mil to get to 40k
stadium name goes up for sale in 2018. big $ is coming
buy the rent for whatever the state needs to come out even

if not then the hell with all of this and we should have a drawing out in the media 2moro about a on campus stadium in 2025. its one or the other but uconn is doing neither. this was a test to see if he really ignored me or was all talk lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's having an impact already!

Cincy sold all the seats in their drawing.

There are even people lined up outside the stadium hoping to get in!

Cincinnati just dropped the atomic bomb on us.
B@stards.

Reaction Score
This isn't about number of seats or whatever. This is about the perception what have you done lately to improve football since that's the most important sport for expansion. UCONN hasn't done squat to the RENT since 2003 when it opened. It won't hurt us to announce a plan in place for 55K expansion or something even if we don't have the money. It will send a message that we are serious about big time football in CT and we will expand when the time is right. There is nothing worse than sitting still on your a* while your competitors are all doing something to improve their status.
Yeah, but did their AD get them a snazzy new logo and funky Arena league helmets?
Next thing you know they'll be telling everybody they have a plan to improve academics to the top 200, and they are really really good in womens basketball because the got to the Big East semi-finals. But rest assured that Warde is monitoring the situation like a bast@rd. He's monitoring the bejeezus out of this conference realignment stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom